Become a Patron!

Exercise and Activities

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Watched a brilliant documentary tonight on Netflix really worth checking out. You see how these guys turned their lives around. One truck driver was massive! and could barely walk 5 minutes. And he got it all off real quick. It's called 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead'
I think its in my queue, ill check it out. I wasn't that bad, but as I said, I was 300 lbs. in 2010, by summer of 2011 I was 150. I didn't do any diet, I just used, and still do use MyFitnessPal on iOS to keep a food log. I did a ton of reading about nutrition, and used the app to figure out my caloric needs based on my age, weight, and height, and then figured out the deficit to lose about 2 lbs. a week, which is the most you should aim for. Though eating healthy and exercising is great, calories in, and calories out are what it comes down to.

And @MEENMAN83 it is absolutely correct that what and how much you eat is easily 80% or more of losing weight, exercising is maintenance. I didn't start doing much exercise until I had lost a good 80 lbs. Also what you said about liquid calories, like soda, or juice, which is just as bad is the best first step IMO. If you cut down to just water, in a matter of weeks you will start to see a difference in your face first usually, and when you see results is when you keep on and succeed. It's crazy how much sugar is in drinks, and how easily you can accumulate empty calories with them. Its all about nutrition, and finding what works for you within the bounds of eating healthy. If you don't like it, you won't keep at it. And, you do have to get used to being hungry for a bit if you are as obese as I was.

Thats one benefit of exercise, you can and should eat back most of your burned calories. I have to stuff my face to keep weight on now, and I love eating... Lol. People just need to spend the time to read and learn about nutrition, its info readily available for free on the internet, and then just commit. You also have to want to do it, it's similar to quitting drinking or drugs in that sense... If you dont want to do it, you wont. I've rambled enough as usual.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pretty good flick, only problem is MOST people don't finish but if they do its amazing. Even dropping 1 soda a day a snack etc can do wonders but most wont. Please do not get caught up in the gimmicky diets though. Just figure out your carb/protien ratios to gain, lose or maintain as with body your body its 25% diet, 5% supplementation, 70% DIET
Well thankfully it's never been a problem for me. I've been a long distance runner for 30 years and studied exercise and nutrition at Brighton fc, so I have a good background and have maintained my weight and overal health and well-being for a long time now.

But these guys were 400+ pounds heavy. And some of them had serious illnesses. And by reducing their fats and sugar intakes and juicing up vegetables to increase their intakes of healthy nutrition, it obviously led to a great weight loss. They felt stronger, less tired and were able to maintain a good exercise program. That's clearly not a gimmicky diet. It's proper living the way we were meant to live.

Also, by juicing the vegetables or fruit it allows the body to take in more than attempting to eat it solid. The body is also able to metabolise liquids faster than solids thus crucially reaching the cells that need them faster. Personally I like my meat and I'd never do a juice diet, but then I don't need to. But if that program (the health regime - not the documentary pa se) saves an obese persons life then good for them.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think its in my queue, ill check it out. I wasn't that bad, but as I said, I was 300 lbs. in 2010, by summer of 2011 I was 150. I didn't do any diet, I just used, and still do use MyFitnessPal on iOS to keep a food log. I did a ton of reading about nutrition, and used the app to figure out my caloric needs based on my age, weight, and height, and then figured out the deficit to lose about 2 lbs. a week, which is the most you should aim for. Though eating healthy and exercising is great, calories in, and calories out are what it comes down to.
Hey have you run today yet or are you saving it for tonight? I'm on a weekend rest but still found myself walking an hour and carrying a futon mattress back from the city. Couldn't bring myself to get a taxi. I felt it would be a wasted opportunity lol. I used MyFitnessPal a couple of years ago. I'm guessing it's changed now but at the time it kept telling me I was going to die! I think at the time it relied on its users to submit foods and their nutrition values. And it wasn't always correct. I think my sister is actually using it at the moment. It's meant to be one of the most recommended fitness apps out there.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey have you run today yet or are you saving it for tonight? I'm on a weekend rest but still found myself walking an hour and carrying a futon mattress back from the city. Couldn't bring myself to get a taxi. I felt it would be a wasted opportunity lol. I used MyFitnessPal a couple of years ago. I'm guessing it's changed now but at the time it kept telling me I was going to die! I think at the time it relied on its users to submit foods and their nutrition values. And it wasn't always correct. I think my sister is actually using it at the moment. It's meant to be one of the most recommended fitness apps out there.
Lol at it telling you you were gonna die. Its a fantastic app, pretty much every food is there, it has a barcode scanner, too. If its not there, you can enter it, with all the details. I like keeping track of everything, some people it drives em nuts. It truly is great, if you like keeping a food and exercise log it is helpful.

A mile walk with a futon sounds horrendously difficult and awkward, lol. I took monday and friday off, so i got one in this morning, and will get the fifth in tomorrow morning. I essentially always run first thing in the morning... My sleep issues are well documented in this thread, and I like getting up even when i sleep well. If i'm up at 5-6, theres not much else to do but hit the trails. I need my sunshine, so in that respect i like being an early riser, and in bed by 1100 typically. I used to be the opposite, and it really took a toll on my mental state.

My feet are fucking schizophrenic, BTW, lol. I put my shoes on with my usual inserts, and they were just killing my arch, so i took em out, and was fine. This tends to happen with no pattern, every month or two my feet decide that they dont like the added arch support. P.F. Is so fucking weird. I will have a week with virtually no pain, when i was sleeping that is, and then a week of hell. Fuck it, as long as im not in pain while running, i just keep on keeping on.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

And @MEENMAN83 it is absolutely correct that what and how much you eat is easily 80% or more of losing weight, exercising is maintenance. I didn't start doing much exercise until I had lost a good 80 lbs. Also what you said about liquid calories, like soda, or juice, which is just as bad is the best first step IMO. If you cut down to just water, in a matter of weeks you will start to see a difference in your face first usually, and when you see results is when you keep on and succeed. It's crazy how much sugar is in drinks, and how easily you can accumulate empty calories with them. Its all about nutrition, and finding what works for you within the bounds of eating healthy. If you don't like it, you won't keep at it. And, you do have to get used to being hungry for a bit if you are as obese as I was.

Thats one benefit of exercise, you can and should eat back most of your burned calories. I have to stuff my face to keep weight on now, and I love eating... Lol. People just need to spend the time to read and learn about nutrition, its info readily available for free on the internet, and then just commit. You also have to want to do it, it's similar to quitting drinking or drugs in that sense... If you dont want to do it, you wont. I've rambled enough as usual.

you have learned well.. :D

I have been doing the same thing, and it's hard to refill after a good work out..
I joined a gym, and compared to this time last year, feel tons better, and it's good for you!
tracking food and adjusting your suppliments (I was a high carb/low protein, and now flipped it)..
getting good sleep helps too!

keep it up! ;)

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol at it telling you you were gonna die. Its a fantastic app, pretty much every food is there, it has a barcode scanner, too. If its not there, you can enter it, with all the details. I like keeping track of everything, some people it drives em nuts. It truly is great, if you like keeping a food and exercise log it is helpful.

A mile walk with a futon sounds horrendously difficult and awkward, lol. I took monday and friday off, so i got one in this morning, and will get the fifth in tomorrow morning. I essentially always run first thing in the morning... My sleep issues are well documented in this thread, and I like getting up even when i sleep well. If i'm up at 5-6, theres not much else to do but hit the trails. I need my sunshine, so in that respect i like being an early riser, and in bed by 1100 typically. I used to be the opposite, and it really took a toll on my mental state.

My feet are fucking schizophrenic, BTW, lol. I put my shoes on with my usual inserts, and they were just killing my arch, so i took em out, and was fine. This tends to happen with no pattern, every month or two my feet decide that they dont like the added arch support. P.F. Is so fucking weird. I will have a week with virtually no pain, when i was sleeping that is, and then a week of hell. Fuck it, as long as im not in pain while running, i just keep on keeping on.
Ohhh, got ya. Sorry, I misread one of your previous posts and thought it said 'getting' up 5-6 times. 6am is a nice time. Lovely. Nice and quiet to spend quality time whilst everyone (& me) are snoozing away.
That thing with your foot being so unpredictable. I've met many athletes that just suddenly go tired or have unexpected things. I've learnt that some things just can't be explained and maybe there is no reason other than the body is the body and has its own cycles and ways which are out of our control. As a passing thought, the body clock might have a lot to do with things, maybe ?

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years

you might want to look into a product, Thermaflex.. found at the local feed and supply stores..
it works so much better than bengay..

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ohhh, got ya. Sorry, I misread one of your previous posts and thought it said 'getting' up 5-6 times. 6am is a nice time. Lovely. Nice and quiet to spend quality time whilst everyone (& me) are snoozing away.
That thing with your foot being so unpredictable. I've met many athletes that just suddenly go tired or have unexpected things. I've learnt that some things just can't be explained and maybe there is no reason other than the body is the body and has its own cycles and ways which are out of our control. As a passing thought, the body clock might have a lot to do with things, maybe ?
We might both be confused... Lol. I get around a 3 hr. initial sleep, then it's up every hour or half hour until I just say fuck it. Usually about six. I'm in by 1100 usually. And I do think my body clock, sleeping shit is playing a huge part in the lack of healing, but we already discussed that.

@Smoky Blue good for you man! It's not for everyone, but even though I don't need to, I still keep a log. I'm a creature of schedule and habit. It is crazy when you first lose the weight how different EVERYTHING is in a positive way. Good stuff!

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
We might both be confused... Lol. I get around a 3 hr. initial sleep, then it's up every hour or half hour until I just say fuck it. Usually about six. I'm in by 1100 usually. And I do think my body clock, sleeping shit is playing a huge part in the lack of healing, but we already discussed that.

@Smoky Blue good for you lady! It's not for everyone, but even though I don't need to, I still keep a log. I'm a creature of schedule and habit. It is crazy when you first lose the weight how different EVERYTHING is in a positive way. Good stuff!

it's all according to how you work it.. or how it works you :p
I had a few years I took care of my mom.. with no activity, not much..
and becoming more active, feels so damn good.. i am finding muscles I never thought I'd get back. :D
picked up some new shoes for the gym and the road yesterday and tried them out today..
Smoky is happy.. almost ;) it got dark on me :oops:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
and becoming more active, feels so damn good.. i am finding muscles I never thought I'd get back. :D
picked up some new shoes for the gym and the road yesterday and tried them out today..
new shoes. we love new shoes

mdRbldk8giHkoO8JykqBhOQ.jpg

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yessss! New shoes! They sure are wonderful. I'm getting ready to hit the trail. Cooking my veggies now, doing a pre cook today @Hobby Kid It's my moms birthday, so I'm gonna head to her house after my run and spend some time with her. Won't have time to cook as I usually do, so I'm rocking your style today ;).

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What they never really showed in fat sick and nearly dead is he very real risk of throwing your vitamin intake way the fuck out of wack. The key is balance not over board.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yessss! New shoes! They sure are wonderful. I'm getting ready to hit the trail. Cooking my veggies now, doing a pre cook today @Hobby Kid It's my moms birthday, so I'm gonna head to her house after my run and spend some time with her. Won't have time to cook as I usually do, so I'm rocking your style today ;).
Haha you're rocking my style are you. I'm back in training tmrw, so doing a double tonight too.

What they never really showed in fat sick and nearly dead is he very real risk of throwing your vitamin intake way the fuck out of wack. The key is balance not over board.
True. They don't do the detail on it but it's there. I linked to the website for anyone who wants more detail on upping your intake and how to manage it.

Another eye opening documentary on Netflix (here in the UK anyway) is FoodMatters.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Haha you're rocking my style are you. I'm back in training tmrw, so doing a double tonight too.

True. They don't do the detail on it but it's there. I linked to the website for anyone who wants more detail on upping your intake and how to manage it.

Another eye opening documentary on Netflix (here in the UK anyway) is FoodMatters.
I enjoyed the film a ton but with todays prices in the US for the drink regime is about 27-35 bucks a day on veg to do it.
I have taken to juicing some, but trust me carrot and ginger juice added to a soup stock is way easier that cooking down a bunch of carrots and ginger.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I enjoyed the film a ton but with todays prices in the US for the drink regime is about 27-35 bucks a day on veg to do it.
I have taken to juicing some, but trust me carrot and ginger juice added to a soup stock is way easier that cooking down a bunch of carrots and ginger.
You think the US is expensive? Man, it's practicalky unaffordable to juice fruit here. Idk why it's so pricey. As for juicing vegetable .. Ugh! I think I'd gag of I drank a glass off juices carrots and broccoli. You see it on the shopping channels and they're drinking this sickly green slim and all going "mmm lovely" lol

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a great site.
Dig deep and you'll find everything. I don't agree with it all but it's a good one all the same. There's a bit on vaping there too :)

www.details.com

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You think the US is expensive? Man, it's practicalky unaffordable to juice fruit here. Idk why it's so pricey. As for juicing vegetable .. Ugh! I think I'd gag of I drank a glass off juices carrots and broccoli. You see it on the shopping channels and they're drinking this sickly green slim and all going "mmm lovely" lol
Carrot juice.. no bad but NEEDS to be cut with a sweet fruit like pear or apple.

Kale and chad.. fuck these god awful veg things..no matter how you cook them... DIRT that is what they taste like dirt or bitter dirt. Juice onw leaf and stem. more and you an in for some colonic 100m dash records.

Brussel sprouts..If you think cooked sprouts are the devil then the uncooked sprouts are worse. colonic power cleaner.
Broccoli.. No just no. trust me on this one NO

One of the best ones I have made was 3-4 good sized carrots, a bartlet pear, a gala apple and a 4" chunk of ginger.
Drink it fresh.

Have done a kale, carrot, ginger and beet with a garlic twist at the end for a stock base and reduced it down.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Man, I don't juice, I just will eat fruit, mainly berries of different types, and pretty much no veggie is off the plate for me as long as it's low on the glycemic index. Anything green I love, and I eat the entirety of just about everything. If I cook cauliflower, I'm boiling down the stem and eating it. I suppose I don't leave much to go to waste. I'll have to check out those sites. I'm on an in and out of nap status ATM. Spent some nice time with my mom earlier.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@Hobby Kid hope ya got a good run and workout in man. Those shoes still treating you well?

I took today off, but yesterday I saw 5 bucks, and I think 3 does, but they were far and might have been the bucks I saw after my turn around. One buck was huge, and he crossed the trail about 20 yards ahead of me. He stayed 5-10 feet off the trail, and just stared at me eye to eye... We had a moment, lol. I wasn't sure what the "rules" are with deer, especially bucks, so I was hesitant to look him in the eye, but I didn't get mauled, so I'm good.

Headed out to do some work soon, then hope to eat and get my nap. I actually slept better last night... Far from perfect, but the best I can remember. Was nice for once.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Hobby Kid hope ya got a good run and workout in man. Those shoes still treating you well?

I took today off, but yesterday I saw 5 bucks, and I think 3 does, but they were far and might have been the bucks I saw after my turn around. One buck was huge, and he crossed the trail about 20 yards ahead of me. He stayed 5-10 feet off the trail, and just stared at me eye to eye... We had a moment, lol. I wasn't sure what the "rules" are with deer, especially bucks, so I was hesitant to look him in the eye, but I didn't get mauled, so I'm good.

Headed out to do some work soon, then hope to eat and get my nap. I actually slept better last night... Far from perfect, but the best I can remember. Was nice for once.
Wear your blaze orange dude, tis hunting season.
Unless it is rut the bucks will skittish, so no worries.. they time hunting season here before the rut so they cannot be called into range with antler rattles. Don;t be overly concerned tho unless he thinks you smell like a doe in heat then you may have to out run him.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hey. Yeah the shoes are doing good thanks. They better do for the price hey. I wish I went up an extra size rather than just .5. But they'll do for another good month - 6 weeks. We'll see. It's starting to get cold now an so am sticking up on the carbs. Mixing rice with the lentils. I wouldn't want to be doing what you are - running outside. I love in the south coast and the wind can get bitterly cold. It's just annoying and off putting trying to concentrate on a run and having that in your face. Glad you're getting some decent sleep. I trained hard yesterday and was whacked this morning. Resting until tmrw mid afternoon now. Just been in my friends coffeeshop and they've kept feeding me pastries and cheese things lol. So will train hard tmrw. 90-100mins run and pt afterward. Keep safe bro.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Wear your blaze orange dude, tis hunting season.
Unless it is rut the bucks will skittish, so no worries.. they time hunting season here before the rut so they cannot be called into range with antler rattles. Don;t be overly concerned tho unless he thinks you smell like a doe in heat then you may have to out run him.
I'm good on the hunting aspect, I run in a state park, so if someone is hunting there, serious trouble will come there way. Thanks for the advice, though. If I was truly in the wild, I'd not have thought of it. And I do get told quite often that I smell like a doe in heat... I might need to watch my tail. Lol.

@Hobby Kid glad the shoes and run are and were good. Thanks on the sleep, I doubt it will be consistent, but even one night is nice.

We still haven't hit bitter cold, yet. It'll come, though. Last winter we had a good week of sub zero temps, and running in that shit sucks. I just layer like crazy, and wear a full fleece face mask that comes down far enought to tuck into my shirt. Usually I'll add beanie, and a tied hoody on top of that. @BigNasty your avatar tells me you'll get this... I tie it tight and look like Kenny.

I know it's bad when my phone freezes and shuts down. I keep it in an insulated case, with an otterbox, and try to put it in a layer close to my body. I use an old deactivated one, so I don't fuck up my work/personal one. It still gets GPS which is awesome, so I can use my running program with no service, and make emergency calls. The other indicator of brutal cold is when my beard and nostrils, and eyelashes freeze. I don't fuck around. I get out there pretty much no matter what. Us runners are a hard headed bunch.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@TBCAmor jeez! You're beard freezes? lol. Where on earth are you? Man, I can hardly stand just normal cold. I'd die out there. It suddenly turned cold here now - like almost overnight you know? It's officially duvet and pyjama season

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@TBCAmor jeez! You're beard freezes? lol. Where on earth are you? Man, I can hardly stand just normal cold. I'd die out there. It suddenly turned cold here now - like almost overnight you know? It's officially duvet and pyjama season
@Hobby Kid mountain air +cold = frozen facial hairs from the breath... we used to get snow flakes forming above our heads in chicago because it was so dry in the winter... kinda funny outside smoking watching snow flakes just manifest.
@TBCAmor LOL ya I hoof a ton in the colder weather but sitting at just under 800' elevation here, it is a different kind of cold we get... not quite mountain dryness but a marine damp.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@Hobby Kid mountain air +cold = frozen facial hairs from the breath... we used to get snow flakes forming above our heads in chicago because it was so dry in the winter... kinda funny outside smoking watching snow flakes just manifest.
@TBCAmor LOL ya I hoof a ton in the colder weather but sitting at just under 800' elevation here, it is a different kind of cold we get... not quite mountain dryness but a marine damp.
I know I have a picture somewhere... I got home from a run one day and was so frozen up that a pic was a necessity. I'll try to find it. @Hobby Kid @BigNasty has it right. Dry cold, sweat, and inevitable running nose all just freezes instantly. We have the most days of sunshine in the country I'm pretty sure, but it does get cold. It's a constant back and forth, it'll snow all day and be sunny as can be the next. I like it. Sun is nice. :)

@BigNasty I honestly feel that humid cold is worse. It's not the same bitter feeling, but it's so muggy. I used to live in Virginia, and have family there and in D.C. I feel like I'm walking into a wall of water when I get off the plane, and I hate how my towels will still be wet from the day before. I'm down with the dry, but my hands are already starting to crack and bleed. I can't use my ipad, iPhone, or grip mods with lotion, so I'm just stuck. When it gets bad, I put shit tons of lotion on before bed, and then put rubber gloves over them.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I know I have a picture somewhere... I got home from a run one day and was so frozen up that a pic was a necessity. I'll try to find it. @Hobby Kid @BigNasty has it right. Dry cold, sweat, and inevitable running nose all just freezes instantly. We have the most days of sunshine in the country I'm pretty sure, but it does get cold. It's a constant back and forth, it'll snow all day and be sunny as can be the next. I like it. Sun is nice. :)

@BigNasty I honestly feel that humid cold is worse. It's not the same bitter feeling, but it's so muggy. I used to live in Virginia, and have family there and in D.C. I feel like I'm walking into a wall of water when I get off the plane, and I hate how my towels will still be wet from the day before. I'm down with the dry, but my hands are already starting to crack and bleed. I can't use my ipad, iPhone, or grip mods with lotion, so I'm just stuck. When it gets bad, I put shit tons of lotion on before bed, and then put rubber gloves over them.
@TBCAmor Get some Jack black hand healer... HOLY shit that stuff works like a damned charm. They also have a great post shave gel with witch hazel that helps with wind burn.

I grew up and live in the PNW about 150 miles from the ocean and normally between some big rivers. It drys out in the summer but lack of humidity keeps me sane. In the winter that is another story it is a wet cold but that is far better than so dry your boogers and tears freeze to your face in sharp spike of pain. Lake effect winter being 35 below and snowing is a mind melter for sure, while I was there we were colder than MacMurdo station. at 30 below were we in shirt sleeves.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@TBCAmor Get some Jack black hand healer... HOLY shit that stuff works like a damned charm. They also have a great post shave gel with witch hazel that helps with wind burn.

I grew up and live in the PNW about 150 miles from the ocean and normally between some big rivers. It drys out in the summer but lack of humidity keeps me sane. In the winter that is another story it is a wet cold but that is far better than so dry your boogers and tears freeze to your face in sharp spike of pain. Lake effect winter being 35 below and snowing is a mind melter for sure, while I was there we were colder than MacMurdo station. at 30 below were we in shirt sleeves.
I'm gonna have to get some of that. Thanks! I hate greasy ass lotion, so something better to heal it would be great. Lol about the boogers and tears freezing. I think I already said, I know it's gonna be bad when my dry nostrils find a way to freeze immediately upon stepping outside. That will probably hit around January, but rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm gonna have to get some of that. Thanks! I hate greasy ass lotion, so something better to heal it would be great. Lol about the boogers and tears freezing. I think I already said, I know it's gonna be bad when my dry nostrils find a way to freeze immediately upon stepping outside. That will probably hit around January, but rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time.
I wore nitrile gloves and used alcohol based hand sanitizer and also around denatured alcohol.. between those my hands were dried and starting to crack and bleed... I had tried some of the jack blacks and it was like nearly a big O it felt so awesome. I have used the post shave gel around my nostrils when I have gotten them chapped from blowing it to much.

The other jack blacks I have used is the beard lube for shaving... works well.. and the post shave cooling gel and works damned good on sun burns also... Had to break mine out I noticed my nose and cheeks and forehead got a angry red glow about them from my mid day hike.

Last edited:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I wore nitrile gloves and used alcohol based hand sanitizer and also around denatured alcohol.. between those my hands were dried and starting to crack and bleed... I had tried some of the jack blacks and it was like nearly a big O it felt so awesome. I have used the post shave gel around my nostrils when I have gotten them chapped from blowing it to much.

The other jack blacks I have used is the beard lube for shaving... works well.. and the post shave cooling gel and works damned good on sun burns also... Had to break mine out I noticed my nose and cheeks and forehead got a angry red glow about them from my mid day hike.
I used to get the same thing using abrasive cleaners when I was cleaning at the pizza joints I've worked at. It's expensive, but I'm gonna get some. Hope your hike was good! Getting ready to run, myself.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to get the same thing using abrasive cleaners when I was cleaning at the pizza joints I've worked at. It's expensive, but I'm gonna get some. Hope your hike was good! Getting ready to run, myself.
a little bit goes a long way.. I am still using the same tube I bought 4 years ago.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
a little bit goes a long way.. I am still using the same tube I bought 4 years ago.
Good to hear... I figured it would be a small amount only being needed, seeing as its so pricey.

Man, I've slept better, not great, but better for two nights in a row now. My run today was almost back to my old pace, and certainly the fastest in quite a while. It was nice. I saw two bucks again, and a group about a mile away of four does with a young one. I never lose my appreciation of nature, it amazes me how the state park in the middle of suburbia is so packed with it.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good to hear... I figured it would be a small amount only being needed, seeing as its so pricey.

Man, I've slept better, not great, but better for two nights in a row now. My run today was almost back to my old pace, and certainly the fastest in quite a while. It was nice. I saw two bucks again, and a group about a mile away of four does with a young one. I never lose my appreciation of nature, it amazes me how the state park in the middle of suburbia is so packed with it.
LOL we have a mountain that we are on the side of... 500' out the door it is a preserve. 4.5 miles in the outer circuit.. but the hills are steep.. some cool meadows but it was created for the oak restoration. Just found out the the place I grew up near is also a park and they tore down the lodge that used to be on the summit.

VU Sponsors