Become a Patron!

(FA) Lets be honest

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most of us use FA as their flavoring of choice. I dont want to get into a whole battle. Each comapny has its ups and downs. How is it possible tha most of us use FA but we dont know each flavors specific gravity? There is little to no information out there other then this post. Where can we get the information from for all or most of their line? It makes mixing difficult. We can always use 1.036 as a medium but i like to be exact as im sure so do most.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you just use 1mg/ml consistently and work with the recipes from that, then it's consistent. You can certainly use the post above (which is posted in several places), but quite honestly it makes little difference as far as I'm concerned when it comes to FA:p

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you just use 1mg/ml consistently and work with the recipes from that, then it's consistent. You can certainly use the post above (which is posted in several places), but quite honestly it makes little difference as far as I'm concerned when it comes to FA:p
This. My concern is consistency over accuracy and I like the way everything tastes. It's working for me.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Most of us use FA as their flavoring of choice. I dont want to get into a whole battle. Each comapny has its ups and downs. How is it possible tha most of us use FA but we dont know each flavors specific gravity? There is little to no information out there other then this post. Where can we get the information from for all or most of their line? It makes mixing difficult. We can always use 1.036 as a medium but i like to be exact as im sure so do most.

Most of us? The only FA "flavor" I use is Flash, so I still have TH at 5mg. I mostly use TFA and Inawera. I had a bad experience with FA when I first started trying DIY; I still liked tobacco flavor, Virginia, then, but FA's Virginia tastes like rotten celery. Uck.

As for "specific gravity"... uhhh... what?? I think that has something to do with the periodic table... but has nothing whatever to do with mixing flavors with nicotine and PG/VG. I use liquid measures for mixing liquids.

Andria

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most of us? The only FA "flavor" I use is Flash, so I still have TH at 5mg. I mostly use TFA and Inawera. I had a bad experience with FA when I first started trying DIY; I still liked tobacco flavor, Virginia, then, but FA's Virginia tastes like rotten celery. Uck.

As for "specific gravity"... uhhh... what?? I think that has something to do with the periodic table... but has nothing whatever to do with mixing flavors with nicotine and PG/VG. I use liquid measures for mixing liquids.

Andria
If you DIY using percentages and mix by weight then its a good thing to know what the weight of each product is. I recently switched to mixing by weight and its way easier. There no mess to clean up after and no wasting syringes. Decaffeinately the preferred method.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you DIY using percentages and mix by weight then its a good thing to know what the weight of each product is. I recently switched to mixing by weight and its way easier. There no mess to clean up after and no wasting syringes. Decaffeinately the preferred method.

I simply can't fathom mixing liquids by weight -- I don't buy 10 lbs of milk, or a gallon of bacon. I mix my liquids using ml's, with plastic syringes, which don't take much cleanup... few flushes with hot water, few more flushes with filtered water. Done. When the rubber thingie at the tip of the syringe's plunger gets yucky, torn up, or won't move freely, I toss it -- they last a couple months.

Andria

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I simply can't fathom mixing liquids by weight -- I don't buy 10 lbs of milk, or a gallon of bacon. I mix my liquids using ml's, with plastic syringes, which don't take much cleanup... few flushes with hot water, few more flushes with filtered water. Done. When the rubber thingie at the tip of the syringe's plunger gets yucky, torn up, or won't move freely, I toss it -- they last a couple months.

Andria
Hey.. To each their own right? I mixed like that for 3 years untill i got the scale. Two words.... GAME-CHANGER!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey.. To each their own right? I mixed like that for 3 years untill i got the scale. Two words.... GAME-CHANGER!

Ok. To be honest... I often "round" my measures, and the juice comes out just as good. The reason I use 30% flavoring is that my taster just isn't all that keen. :D If the measure called for is 1.72ml... I'll make it "a hair over 1.7"... if the measure called for is 1.68ml... then it's "a hair under 1.7". I'm kinda OCD about a few things, but hundredths of a ml aren't one of them. :D If I was mixing for others, I'd probably be more careful, but just for me... I don't see the need.

Andria

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Yep, I mix by volume, because I make small batches.
Many who use weight assume everything is 1mg/ml, but of course that's not totally accurate.
Does it matter? Very, very seldom. I can point out some recipes where it will make a difference, but it's not usually a big deal.

If you want specific gravity for all FA flavors, open a ticket on FA's Italy website and ask. I know they have provided that info in the past. I never bothered keeping the figures I've seen, because I don't need it.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, I mix by volume, because I make small batches.
Many who use weight assume everything is 1mg/ml, but of course that's not totally accurate.
Does it matter? Very, very seldom. I can point out some recipes where it will make a difference, but it's not usually a big deal.

If you want specific gravity for all FA flavors, open a ticket on FA's Italy website and ask. I know they have provided that info in the past. I never bothered keeping the figures I've seen, because I don't need it.
How do you convert your percentages to the correct volume (ML)?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
How do you convert your percentages to the correct volume (ML)?

?
It's a percentage of total volume, just a simple calculation. You'll notice I usually use increments of 0.25% in my recipes; those are simple for me to work with. Not that you can't use a calculator if you prefer! .5% of a 10ml batch = .5ml, like that.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I submitted a ticket to them. I hope i get an answer.. will help the community out. Once i get them ill repost here on VU

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You could always weigh them out with a syringe. Weigh the empty syringe. Fill with one ml of flavoring, weight again. Granted, that could take a while.

I don't worry about specific gravity. Just use 1. It's close enough and if you always use the same number your recipes will be consistent.
I have never had to clean one thing. Ever. All my flavors come from BCV in dropper bottles. I drip right into the bottle I'll be using, shake and done. Mixing by weight is super duper easy.
The only thing that gets consumed is 3ml pipettes I use for dispensing nic. I bought 500 for like ~$15 an Amazon and I just throw them away after use.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can use 1 but it won't be entirely accurate. Do you use 1 or 1.036 which is average weight of PG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just use 1. The reason for this is basically laziness on my part. I started inputting as many accurate numbers as I could find, and I noticed they are all really close to PG. I couldn't find many for FA flavors so I just used 1 for those and then I just gave up worrying about it. You know why? In a 30ml bottle the difference between 1 and 1.036 at 2% flavor is less than a drop. I'm just not that picky. Also I'm much more concerned about consistency between batches then anything. This might mess up other people if they make very large batches using your recipe and different numbers than you, but probably not enough to notice. And no matter what it will still be way more accurate then volumetric measurement, unless of course you are using laboratory grade auto pipettes, that commercial/industrial level stuff tho.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just gave up worrying about it. You know why? In a 30ml bottle the difference between 1 and 1.036 at 2% flavor is less than a drop. I'm just not that picky.

Bingo. Hence my rounding of hundredths of ml's -- there are far too many other things in life to be concerned about, than being OCD about drops, or hundredths of ml's. It just doesn't make THAT much difference.

Andria

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, it's pretty impossible to measure less than a drop - there are some recipes that you just can't get to the 100th because the drop size is too big!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also, it's pretty impossible to measure less than a drop - there are some recipes that you just can't get to the 100th because the drop size is too big!

I did a test of all the various droppers I have or might use, and found the results so widely different, per dropper, and per PG/VG ratio, I gave up on drops completely -- could be anything from 24-40 drops per ml. I have some 1ml syringes which do measure to hundredths of ml's, and if I'm mixing a very small amount, as a test of a new recipe, then I'm very careful to hit those hundredths as closely as is humanly possible. But for my standard mixes, 30-60ml, nah, rounding works just fine.

Andria

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I mixed by drops, I transferred all my flavorings to bottles that measured 33drops/ml. Now I measure by weight it's still almost impossible to get to the exact right measurement, because bottle tops differ, and you can't always get the exact right drop to come out to the exact right weight. It doesn't matter, though, in the end, particularly with larger quantities. I still occasionally use drop measurements for tiny samplers (6ml or so), and it gets me in the ball park.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Everyone keeps saying it's easier to stay with one number but I don't get it. Why? Is it just laziness to enter in the exact or it's actually better to stay at a mutual number. If so why?

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Everyone keeps saying it's easier to stay with one number but I don't get it. Why? Is it just laziness to enter in the exact or it's actually better to stay at a mutual number. If so why?

I believe it's mostly because if you share a recipe and most people are using the same standard then they'll taste what you intended. Or something like that :)

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. I'll start my to change them all back to 1 now.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks. I'll start my to change them all back to 1 now.

Are you using a calculator like the one I use where you can put specific gravities in? If you have a ton of flavors, you don't need to change them all back.... just go by the ML. For example... look at the screenshot I've attached. I used to use the column labeled Grams when I weigh flavorings. Now I just use the column labeled ML. Except for the Nic, PG, and VG... I still use the weights under Grams for those.

eCalc.JPG

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So basically your mixing by volume and not weight.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So basically your mixing by volume and not weight.

No....I'm mixing by weight, but I'm using what's under the ML for weighing flavors since it would be the same under Grams if you use 1 gram per ml. I entered all of the specific gravity weights for the flavors in this recipe except for two of them. One being Butterscotch Natural and the other being Biscuit. You'll notice that the ML and Grams are the same for those two flavors.

Edit......I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you've entered a ton of specific gravities, there's no need to change them if you use the same method that I do :)

Edit....and my screenshot sucks. I thought it would be clearer than that.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got it now. I do use the same calculator. SO instead of going by grams your just using ml as the weights. Loud and clear. Thanks

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got it now. I do use the same calculator. SO instead of going by grams your just using ml

You're welcome. If I had only had a few flavors when I first entered the specific gravities, then I may have changed them all back, but I had a lot of flavors when I did it so I just left them as is.

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How do you export flavors to excel?

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have mixed by volume for years. I just got some scales this week. I love it. Much quicker, cleaner, more fun. I will still use volume for testing small recipes though. But for anything over 10ml, scales. They have already shown me that my mixes are too close to say I can detect any difference. Scales for life...

iVape

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have mixed by volume for years. I just got some scales this week. I love it. Much quicker, cleaner, more fun. I will still use volume for testing small recipes though. But for anything over 10ml, scales. They have already shown me that my mixes are too close to say I can detect any difference. Scales for life...
We are still using scales. Just now using the ml as i would grams. So to be clear we are weighing the ml part vs grams.

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've always used drops. It's not really accurate ( especially when I squeeze to hard) but I don't notice much difference in the recipes. I stopped using so many suits cause I'm lazy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We are still using scales. Just now using the ml as i would grams. So to be clear we are weighing the ml part vs grams.

That's an interesting way to phrase it but in actuality, the gram measurement becomes the same as a milliliter in measurement when you enter a value of '1'for all flavors. There are users who enter 1.03 or 1.04, figuring that averaging out the weights, some of which are a teensy bit more while others are just a squidgeon less but for our purposes and for accurate reproduction of a recipe, as KGuardian mentioned, '1' becomes a friendly number, indeed. :)

I just got some scales this week. I love it. Much quicker, cleaner, more fun.

And less clean-up! :D

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Please forgive this predilection with inserting a descriptive term where none exists. I'm of a mind that where the language lacks, this becomes and immediate and generally understandable fix. That bit one squeezes out of a tube onto one's toothbrush? A nurdle. If one were to equate this to the earlier term, squidgeon, it follows the in act of adding flavoring, one squidges, After the fact, as in "How much flavoring is in that bottle?", the logical answer would be, "Just a squidge."

Now I'm off to craft a laughing smiley with a mustache,, monocle and top hat.A burple one, I think.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I knew this was in my copious collection of notes & data but just now happened across the information. A little after the fact but here ya go. Not my work and I didn't note the author so if you know who you are, chime in for credit. :)

This may also demonstrate why the majority of us use one milliliter as a close average as one point zero anything is damn close.. Let me know if you want nic, TFA and Capella weights. I'll PM them to you!

FLAVOURART WEIGHTS in Milliliters

7 Leaves Ultimate 1,0363 g/cm3

Almond 1,0489

Anise 1,0328

Apple (Stark) 1,0435

Apple Pie 1,0489

Apricot 1,0456

Arctic Winter 1,0197

Banana (Bano) 1,0414

Bilberry 1,0435

Bitter Wizard 1,0462

Black Touch (Licorice)1,0483

Butterscotch 1,0441

Cantaloupe Melon 1,0417

Cappuccino (Italian Relax)1,0422

Caramel 1,0446

Catalan Cream 1,0439

Cherry (Cerise) 1,0413

Chocolate 1,0513

Cinnamon Ceylon 1,0433

Coconut (Coco)1,0425

Cookie 1,0530

Custard 1,1158

Espresso (Dark Bean) 1,0479

Forrest Mix 1,0386

Fresh Cream 1,0451

Fuji Apple 1,0171

Grape Concord 1,0460

Grapefruit 1,0386

Jamaica Special (Jamaica Rhum) 1,0418

Kiwi 1,0376

Latakia 1,0436

Lemon Sicily 1,0335

Lime Tahity Cold Pressed 1,0379

Lychee 1,0415

Mad Mix (Mad Fruit) 1,0422

Mango (Costarica Special) 1,0442

MTS Vape Wizard 1,0576

Nut Mix 1,0440

Oba Oba 1,0506

Passion Fruit 1,0412

Pear 1,0391

Spearmint (White Winter )1,0249

Bourbon (Vaniglia Bourbon) 1,0570

Strawberry (Red Touch) 1,0402

Summer Clouds 1,0429

Vanilla Tahity 1,0551

Vienna Cream 1,0364

Virginia 1,0452

Watermelon 1,0461

White Grape 1,0467

White Peach 1,0390

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mix either in 30 or 120 ml batches and mix by volume.
KISS
If I were mixing to sell I would likely use weight for mixing.

VU Sponsors