Become a Patron!

Fast Charging?

I've got an rx2/3. I use a typical phone charger to charge it but don't know if it's safe to use my LG FAST CHARGR? Does anyone know if it will harm my mod? Thanks.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome and, no, charging the batteries inside the mod is not safe regardless of which USB charging method you use because you run the risk of overcharging the batteries─as there's no balanced charging in the mod─and the heat buildup also poses some additional risks. Just grab a separate 4-bay battery charger (such as the Nitecore NEW i4 or something very similar to it), and, keep the charger on a non-flammable surface like, for example, a ceramic tile at least until the charger has finished charging all the batteries.

Kranky Kanger

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree, your LG fast charger SHOULD NOT be used to charge batteries while in the mod. And as Carambrada noted you should get a separate charger for your batteries. It's the safest way to charge em up. The only time you should ever mod charge your batteries is when you forget your spares and don't have your charger along. And then only if you can watch the mod until charging is complete. In other words in a pinch. Also be VERY careful choosing a phone type charger to use. Many like the LG fast charger, Android super charger and others push the charge volts and amps at to high a level for the batteries in most mods. Bottom line is, unless you REALLY know what you're doing stay away from charging batteries in the mod. Even then it's risky. Get a separate charger, the mod you save may be your own!

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want to get full life and performance from your lion #####series batteties....... use the slowest charging rate you can tolerate...... if you have lipo batteries turbo charge all you want.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A 2.5 amp USB charging Brick would be what I would use to charge a mod with batteries in it.
Not sure what the LG charger you speak of is though. Generally charging circuits in mods use only the current that they want. If the mod has a 1 amp charge and you hook it to a 2 amp USB brick then it only uses 1 amp from the USB brick.
However if you do not use a brick with enough current capacity for the mod then bad things can happen.

I do strongly recommend charging your batteries in an external charger though.
Mod meltdowns do happen from charging batteries in mods. Apparently the charging circuits in them are not very sturdy.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
If you want to get full life and performance from your lion #####series batteties....... use the slowest charging rate you can tolerate...... if you have lipo batteries turbo charge all you want.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
As a R/C Helicopter guy, very familiar with charging LiPo packs, I have to disagree. In order to charge a LiPo pack properly, you should also utilize an external balance charger. In addition, ideally, you charge at a 1C rating. If you are in a hurry, you can charge the LiPo pack at 2-3C, maybe a bit higher, depending on the spec of the LiPo pack. However, the best is to charge at a low rate, in order to extend the packs life.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For good Mooch approved 18650's there will be no real noticeable loss of lifespan if charged at 1 amp per cell or less.
Most can be charged at 2 amps but some loss of lifespan will happen.

I charge mine at 1 amp and am still using HG2's that are a bit over 2 years old.
Yep they have lost a bit of capacity but that is very normal for good 2 yr old cells.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've got an rx2/3. I use a typical phone charger to charge it but don't know if it's safe to use my LG FAST CHARGR? Does anyone know if it will harm my mod? Thanks.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

As Cromwell said, your Mod determines the max charging rate, not the cord. Yours probably charges at 1 amp overall, regardless if your cord supports more than that. Power is pulled, not pushed, and your mod won't pull more than it was designed to.

I've charged my RX200 by cable off and on for 2 years, and it has never charged the batteries past 4.16 volts. Modern, well-designed mods are not dangerous to charge batteries with, because they are Usually designed to cut off charging early (before 4.2 volts). If anything I would recommend a dedicated battery charger because it Will charge your batteries to a full 4.2 volts whereas most mods will not.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The RX2/3 charges the batteries at 0.91 amps. @Pegleg Meg is right, the RX2/3 stops charging the moment one of the batteries has been charged to 4.16 volts... more info on that here:

Code:
https://youtu.be/hgERfhj_UHI?t=3000

VU Sponsors