Become a Patron!

Father's First Vape

Hello Everyone! Long timer lurker but I finally joined the forum. My dad has been a smoker for 30+ years and I am trying to set him up with a build. I've did a ton of research and made my purchase but I am having buyer remorse (mainly about subtank leaking). I am looking for something easy to use but be able to grow from it. I am planning on going to a local shop to purchase juices and get a bit more information. What do you guys think of this build?

What I have purchased:
Joyetech eVic VTC Mini 60W Kit
Kanger Subtank Mini V2
(2) 18650 LG 18650HG2 3000mAh High Discharge Flat Top
Nitecore D2 Digicharger

Thanks

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish I had that setup a couple years ago when I started... I have a couple of Subtank nano's and they do leak sometimes,but when they are working right, they work great. You might also try a different tank like the Arctic or Herakles. Both available at ecig.com for less than $20.00 bucks.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It is a good setup. Regarding the leaking. Where does it leak from? Check all the o-rings. If either one is shot, the tank will leak e-juice into the bottom of the tank, and further out the airflow holes. In addition, when screwing in the replacement coil, don't over tighten it, or you might damage the o-ring on the replacement coil, which would cause leaking as well.

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
^^what he said. subtank shouldn't leak at all

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Should have mentioned earlier, over thightening in general can damage the o-rings.

Great thanks for the input, I will keep that in mind when the shipment comes, hopefully he'll like the build enough to finally kick the habit. I was thinking of switching over to Aspire Nautilus Mini so he can have the "cigarette feel."

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
nautilus mini is a great mtl tank, if you're into coil building their coils are pretty easy to rebuild too

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Double that!
Triple that (but I'm at 4). The only time I have leaking is when I rebuild my own coil, and honestly each time I know exactly what I did wrong (not enough cotton, letting the wick get old, or overfilling). Well that and when I left a near full tank in one of them for over a month without vaping it at all.

As for recommendations for your father, I think his smoking habits will surely come into play. I know a couple smokers who have hated vapes because they "are too harsh on their lungs" which I'm sure we can all laugh at, but we all know it's a much different hit than a cigarette. It takes some getting used to. But, knowing plenty of smokers I know some that direct lung hit unfiltered camels, I know some that MTL lights. There's a wide variety.

I've always said that a smoker has to want to quit smoking otherwise it's not going to happen. But, if they do, set them up with a simple setup, what you have is actually more advanced than I'd suggest, but it's solid. If he's concerned about leaking, let him know that if he can deal with that for now that there are plenty of options that remove that issue, but he needs to deal with that for now, get through a few weeks and he can upgrade. If he is refusing because of leaking, well he's just making an excuse, something every smoker does to not quit.

I'd get him an eGo-T (or two due to battery constraints) and a tank to go with it (I'd suggest the Kanger EVOD or something cheap), really no reason to drop a ton of money on something that he may just brush off because he has no desire to quit.

That said, remind him. This stuff actually smells good, after 2 weeks or so of coughing up crap the issues with his lungs will go away (unless it's more serious), it's in general much cheaper and can be made even more so with a little work (yay hobbies!), it can taste great, and did I mention it doesn't smell like shit?

Depending on his smoking style, even a basic setup should be a great start. If he wants more then let him know there's a HUGE variety beyond that, from stuff that you just slap together easily to stuff that becomes a nice hobby and saves you money. The basic should be a nice start though if he actually wants to stop, this is great because you not only get the nicotine still, which curbs the physical addiction. But, IMO the mental addiction to smoking is as strong if not stronger, and vaping satiates that just fine. Again, let him know that the first couple weeks will still be tough because his lungs will be expelling all the tar filled crap in his lungs, but if he can get through that, he will likely find it very enjoyable and should feel much better afterwards (be able to actually breath and things will have a more distinct smell and therefor taste).

For myself... well I'm a bit out of the norm, I didn't smoke strait cigarettes... However my brother has now more or less quit smoking. I say more or less in that he'll still indulge at a party and socially, but down from a pack or two a day to a pack or two a month (depends on how often the guys and us get together and drink).

To end, listen to these other comments, I know I've heard quite a few issues with leaking on the Kanger tanks, I know my brother has those issues with his (I'm still debating on giving him my old Atlantis, I still love that little thing) but I've never checked out his tank fully to make sure all the O-rings are solid and everything is clean, so user error could very well be the issue. Anyways though, Good luck. I know my brother feels much better having quit smoking, I know I feel better having quit my habits, clean lungs are nice.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
He's also probably going to insist on something tobacco flavored so head to either of the following sites below.

Heather's Heavenly
MyVapeJuice

And after he's been vaping a week or 2 hit Want2Vape.

The nautilus isn't a sub-ohm tank...Just saying.
Yeah, I realized the subtank I bought for him is a little too advance for him, hopefully the nautilus is more for his level. I might put the subtank in storage until he is ready to step up his game.

I'd get him an eGo-T (or two due to battery constraints) and a tank to go with it (I'd suggest the Kanger EVOD or something cheap), really no reason to drop a ton of money on something that he may just brush off because he has no desire to quit.
Thanks Jerus for the indepth insight, it was really helpful and I will keep it in mind if he wants to quit. My family has been pushing him to quit smoking for the longest time. So hopefully this build will last him for a while so he doesn't have to upgrade(even though he likes the latest and greatest products).

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! If anyone have any tips and tricks for the build or to keep him on track, it would be helpful. After I receive everything and get him set up, I will report back to see how he likes it.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Besides having the right equipment, it is also important to have the proper nicotine level in the e-juice. I have smoked for 34 years. Smoked 1.5 packs of humpback Turkish Gold. For me a 12 mg/ml nicotine juice was good enough. However, your father might crave for more. That's something that has to be tried. Too much nicotine can cause head ache, dizziness, and/or nausea. In addition, the nicotine intake differs from smoking, so it will take some getting used to as well.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well said Neuner, I will say as silly as it may sound to some here, I think the Blu's are the closest you get to the real thing. A nice harsh throat hit with a lot of nicotine (think they use 24+).

I wouldn't say the Kanger tank is a bad option, if you already have it just go with it. If he feels it's too loose of a draw close it down a bit and use the 1.2ohm coil. The setup you describe is more or less exactly what got my brother off it (well that and a LOT of pressure from his now wife).. As for too much nicotine, honestly, I wouldn't concern yourself with it, I think we all know the old remedy to prevent a kid from smoking. You make him chain smoke a pack till he pukes and then he has no interest, I think it's quite solid (it's what prevented me from getting into chew even when I was certainly interested). Maybe a little Nicotine sickness might knock a little sense into him. But either way, again, what you need to do is get him to devote 2 weeks to this. Maybe make it 3. Get him to promise you that, studies say it takes a month to develop a habit and 2 weeks to break it, make it 3 weeks to be safe. By then he'll have coughed up all the crap from his lungs, he'll have gotten through most of the addiction habits, and if he can continue it, well you're in luck.

I'm one of those fringe cases in the whole vaping thing. I was addicted to smoking, not cigarettes. But, I vape a 12 even on a high powered subohm setup (for the "flavor" honestly) and I really don't get much of anything from the nicotine. I only start to feel it when I hit 18 and 24 is a bit much, with 24 I've experienced some nicotine overdose. Once you start to sweat and feel a bit uneasy, well you just stop vaping and drink some water and you're fine. I'd grab him a 12, and be ready to grab him a 24 if he feels it's not enough. I'm pretty sure he'll find the 24 to be a bit much but maybe it'll suite him as you can take a few rips of it then you get that head high and don't want to touch it for a while. Any money spent on "wasted' juice will be worthwhile if it gets him off the real deal, not just in the sense of health consciousness but also on the pocket book long term.

Anyways, kinda rambling, but 2-3weeks, that's the key here. It's a known thing, a well studied system. If you can go 2 weeks your brain chemestry changes and the effect greatly changes. Hell he may be able to just be done at that point and not want to vape either. It'll be a tough couple weeks but if you can get through that most addictions are broken in that time. I personally have a very addictive personality, I've broken more addictions than I care to admit, and all of them were through having the willpower to withstand a few weeks and by the third week, well I could take it or leave it.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
He's also probably going to insist on something tobacco flavored so head to either of the following sites below.

Heather's Heavenly
MyVapeJuice

And after he's been vaping a week or 2 hit Want2Vape.

Maybe take another approach on the juice flavor. I still am a smoker but use a ecig as well. I have tried several times and haven't given up on smoking and I really don't see it happening, at least anytime soon. However it does cut down on my analogs a lot so that is a positive there.

When I first got into ecig I figured I would want tobacco flavored juice but rather than just buying some I went to a local vape shop and tried several different juices before buying and found out I don't like tobacco flavored juice. A lot of vape shops with let you try juices before buying. I use to take a rda with a about a 1.5 ohm build and NO cotton in with me to try new flavors (hint don't close the coil all the way up so more juice can stick to it), you can get a couple decent hits from a coil that big without the need for cotton, then just burn off any remaining before trying the next flavor. You don't even need to use your own rda most shops will let you use one they have, just buy/bring your own tip. I will also recommend that you don't use one of the tips they will let you borrow that has the silicone sleeve or what ever it is, it affects the flavor, plus the thought of using a tip others have used just isn't that appealing to me lol.

This way your father can try out his new eVic, more than likely borrow their rda (most shops do this) and try all the flavors he could want and not buy something he could possible not want. They will use no nic juice for testing this way you don't over do it on nic.Take a bottle of water with you to rinse between flavors.

Secondly I recommend not over buying (large amounts) of a flavor. At first I started on peaches and cream and it was great but as my smoking analogs backed off I found I didn't care for the heavy after task of that juice and went back and started tasting again until I found others I preferred. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to switch my subtank to a nautilus. I got him set up and running yesterday and so far he likes it. I took him to a local shop to look at flavors and he decided to go with a tobacco flavor. His only concern was the glass on the nautilus, so I just purchased a stainless steel tank replacement to solve that problem. The evic mini is quite nice to hold and he was able to change the voltage to his liking. So far so good, hopefully he'll stick it through when he is at work.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to switch my subtank to a nautilus. I got him set up and running yesterday and so far he likes it. I took him to a local shop to look at flavors and he decided to go with a tobacco flavor. His only concern was the glass on the nautilus, so I just purchased a stainless steel tank replacement to solve that problem. The evic mini is quite nice to hold and he was able to change the voltage to his liking. So far so good, hopefully he'll stick it through when he is at work.
Nice! Good to hear that he seems to like it. Some people as you saw still smoke, but not as many, some reduce, until they vape only, or as I did, due to the right equipment, I quit smoking the same day, I started vaping.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
hopefully he'll stick it through when he is at work.

Work was my hardest area when it came to vaping. I work construction and between the lifting and bending over I went through probably a dozen tips in no time from the mod falling out of my pocket and breaking off. I gave up on vaping at work because of that and only vape at home now or in the vehicle. I even had it fall out of my pocket one time and bend the outer ring on the switch (locking it in fire) and I had to grab it fast and take the battery out then take it apart and bend the ring back out so the switch would work properly, This is when I wished I had gotten a stainless mod instead of a brass one and I still need to so I can try it again at work, I will be looking for a leather holster so I can put it on my side and hopefully stop the tip breaking and dropping the mod.

VU Sponsors