Become a Patron!

First Clapton 26/30 Kanthal

greencow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just wrapped my first clapton, 30g outer with a 26g core. 6 wraps at 3mm ID. Sitting at .8 ohms Ramp up is a little slow, similar to a 2 strand twisted 26g I was running before, not quite as hot as the twisted coil, or my standard macro that I usually run. Flavor is good if I keep airflow down just a bit. It wicks like the dickens, I'm enjoying it so far, but time will tell. I'll give it a few days and see if I like it then. It's neat lookin, that's for sure, but I don't know if I'm sold on the whole crazy coil thing. Creates some thunderclouds firing at 40w and 5.6v though...

NT7_5x0aDE3K8HDqQHlU6Pxu9eub-lYvAAqcCnYeFOQ=w1274-h955-no

Bleip2syO-nxmkPlq7s3lTMpboOtNlHO7LDJaZk8OR8=w1274-h955-no

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Looks good...im thinking about trying a clapton myself...I just like some battery life and the more power it takes to heat up a coil the less the batteries will last...im searching for that happy medium still i guess.

What method did you use to wrap it with?

greencow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks Mike. Haha, yah, we'll see how long that battery lasts me, the 26g twisted coils I've ran before usually clock in around .4-.5 ohms, so this should go for a bit longer, we'll see though. I just picked up a some Samsung 25r's so hopefully it can get me through the day :p

I straightened the 26g chocked in the drill, loosened it a bit, put the 30g in the side of the chock and started it by hand. Fired up the drill full speed and let it wind out. Funny thing is, took a try before this, and I was going too slow on the drill, kept binding up and getting the 30g wrapped around itself....

It was a fun experience, and I may try more if I end up liking this coil, but time will tell. The flavor is pretty good once it ramps up, and it kicks out the vapor. Just like the twisted coil in a way, you can take some really deep lung hits without it overheating or dry hitting, unlike my experience with a good micro/macro coil. Seems like if I take to big of a pull on those, it overheats and starts frying the cotton. A good temp regulated mod would probably take care of that though.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There is always a smaller gauge to try...im thinking 28g inner with 32g wraps for my first one...waiting for wire now..lol

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I also tried my first clapton tonight. I had a hard time winding it using 28 gauge wire because I tied the straight strand to a fixed point, started winding it and the center strand would snap before I could get a usable amount complete. Realized the center strand attached to a fixed point was not a good idea so I got a fishing swivel and looped my wire to it, spun it and wallah! Ramp time to me was a no go with 28 so I need to get some thinner stuff. Nice job green!

greencow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Mike H. - Yah, if you were to do a clapton with that, around 6 wraps, you're ramp up time would be slightly less than mine with the 26g. The outer wire doesn't so much add to the resistance as it does the coils wicking ability, and it acts like a heatsink, cooling off the coil as a whole. Seems like it takes longer to ramp up and ramp down because of that, but it wicks really well. I've already gone through a few ml's of fluid since building it!

greencow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks cav! Yah, 28 is kind of thick for the outer, depends on the mod you're using to fire it I suppose. What are you using by the way? Are you using the fishing swivel in conjunction with a drill to wrap?

Enjoyed your sig, haha, looks like we quit right around the same time, congratulations! Definitely have spent more money on this "hobby" so far than on my other addiction, although I feel great physically, so I justify it to myself :p

cavtruper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks cav! Yah, 28 is kind of thick for the outer, depends on the mod you're using to fire it I suppose. What are you using by the way? Are you using the fishing swivel in conjunction with a drill to wrap?

Enjoyed your sig, haha, looks like we quit right around the same time, congratulations! Definitely have spent more money on this "hobby" so far than on my other addiction, although I feel great physically, so I justify it to myself :p
I am using the Sigelei 150 TC, started with low w then jacked it up. I will have to play around with it some more before I make my final decision.

Yes, I am using the swivel with the drill and worked like a charm for having only myself. Drill on one end and swivel attached to a staple on my shutters on the other end. I just learned the clapton at a local shop yesterday and the guy had his buddy holding the other end. What's your trick?

I didn't realize that the core was mainly the resistance and outer was a heatsink... I will keep that in mind next time, thank you! Expains the flavor part of the clapton, huh?

Congrats to you too for quitting recently- and I too feel sooo much better! I have been back and fourth to the vapes and stinkies for about 3 years or so but the technology now is making vaping so much more enjoyable. NOW I AM COMMITTED! For full disclosure I have some extra motivation now... my three month old son!

I will have to add to this next time I try a clapton. Take care!

wheelie

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Looks good. I take my wires always off the top. Keeps them off the deck as th coil lowers from repeeated heating from vaping. CHEERS!

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Gj on your first Clapton. After messing around with the 30g try going with even a smaller wire. Go 32 then 34. Those smaller kanthals make the build even better. Also don't use the middle part of the wire you just made. try using one of ends first for you won't waste a whole foot or two of your Clapton wire. And you can use the rest later on if you want to put a new coil in there.
Good job again, oh and when you have space In between the wraps or the claptons you can always pull one side of the wire down to take away those spaces it will look neater and make everything even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors