Become a Patron!

First ever panic attack...Could vaping be the cause?

This is my first post ever about vaping so some background first! I quit smoking analogs about three months ago and stopped with my first puff of my variable voltage device! Anyway I use 12 mg of nic in that and 6 mg of nic with my istick and delta 2 subtank. I was chain vaping on the way home from work last night (which is quite common) and I all of the sudden felt like something heavy was on my chest,
My body was tingling, heart rate was very fast, and I was dizzy definately thought I was having a heart attack! So scary!!! So after this I still felt weird and just out of it..dizzy and scared honestly. I went to the ER and they diagnosed me with a panic attack/anxiety. Now I have never had this happen before and now that I have read more about it I realized that I have had a headache the last few days and do have some of the symptoms that can be from too much nicotine. I did have a little more coffee than usual that day as well! This happened last night. It is now 11 pm and I have only used some 6 mg on my variable voltage device in my clearomizer and have only hit it a total of 8 times all day. I felt weird all night tho and when I woke up I felt much better. Please help!?? I just got all of this 12 mg juice too I hate to not use! What should I do?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's possible that the nicotine could've set you off, but I don't think it's something that would typically happen in a vacuum. I can tell you as someone who used to struggle with severe anxiety that pretty much anything can make you have a panic attack when you're already on edge. But I can also say that it would take quite a lot to make me have a full-blown, physically-manifesting panic attack these days because I don't have anxiety problems anymore. People who are genuinely calm don't typically just up and have panic attacks.

I think it's more likely that you either have some underlying problems with anxiety (yes, you can have anxiety problems without knowing it - certain forms actually stem from how adept the mind can be at internalizing overwhelming emotions.) It could also be physiological. Have you been dealing with more stress than usual lately? How are your eating and sleeping habits? Sometimes, everyday background stress can be enough to make some acute changes to your brain chemistry. Stress literally re-wires your brain to make you more stressed in the future.

Of course, the first thing to troubleshoot would be the nic. Could've just been an anomalous occurrence.

It's not common, though increased anxiety from nicotine is not unusual in itself... ...the same goes for caffeine. But again, I find those unlikely to be the cause, given your panic-free history with them.

It's possible that the nicotine could've set you off, but I don't think it's something that would typically happen in a vacuum. I can tell you as someone who used to struggle with severe anxiety that pretty much anything can make you have a panic attack when you're already on edge. But I can also say that it would take quite a lot to make me have a full-blown, physically-manifesting panic attack these days because I don't have anxiety problems anymore. People who are genuinely calm don't typically just up and have panic attacks.

I think it's more likely that you either have some underlying problems with anxiety (yes, you can have anxiety problems without knowing it - certain forms actually stem from how adept the mind can be at internalizing overwhelming emotions.) It could also be physiological. Have you been dealing with more stress than usual lately? How are your eating and sleeping habits? Sometimes, everyday background stress can be enough to make some acute changes to your brain chemistry. Stress literally re-wires your brain to make you more stressed in the future.

Of course, the first thing to troubleshoot would be the nic. Could've just been an anomalous occurrence.

It's not common, though increased anxiety from nicotine is not unusual in itself... ...the same goes for caffeine. But again, I find those unlikely to be the cause, given your panic-free history with them.
Thank you for the response. I have been dealing with a lot of stress lately but this has never happened. I honestly think that maybe I talked myself into it after originally feeling the heavy chest, tingling dizzy feeling while I was driving bc I also have gallstones that they say they are going to leave alone until I have problems with it. My parents told me it felt like they were dying when this happened so I even thought maybe it was my gallbladder. Anyway I have another question. The juice in my clearomizer was darker than it usually is. Same kind same nic EVERYTHING and it kept flooding. I know that this can mean that I need to change it or the coil but I thought maybe it made it more potent somehow or maybe I was even getting more in my mouth than usual! Also is it safe to like vape on one thing until it gets hot, put it down, start vapin on another device (my vision spinner 2 which is 1.5 ohms and then to my istick with delta 2 which is .5 ohm) until it gets hot and then back again bc when I'm stressed such as after work I tend to do this a lot. I definately use my vape more than I ever used analogs! Anyway I'm feeling ok now and just vaping a little bit and at 6 mg in my vision for now bc to be honest I'm terrified to feel that again. To answer your question I do not eat right, I could drink more water than I do, and I have a 4 year old and work till 11 pm so when she gets up early, I get up early..it could all be better. I drink a lot of caffeine to keep me going. Could this finally be catching up to me you think?

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm going to side with the others here. Although caffeine and nicotine are stimulants, which can increase heart rate and what not, to have a full on physical panic attack is very unlikely from nicotine and/or caffeine alone. I suffer from anxiety myself, it's a horrible rabbit hole! Having anxiety makes you anxious. As said before with other life stressers it may have developed into a physical attack, and you may have had anxiety all along and not even known. Keep on vaping, maybe see about getting some help for your anxiety issues, but, STAY off benzos!! They are more addicting than anything I've ever had, ever. It's a pain to get off any withdrawal is absolutely horrible. Just don't start.

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Probably just got a little too much Nic and it made you get dizzy and then you went down hill from there. Try going easier on the nic. You might be sensitive to it.

WiSK

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just got all of this 12 mg juice too I hate to not use! What should I do?

I had that too. Just made a huge order for various bottles of 18mg when I started to realise the headache and racey heart I had been having might just be an onset of nicotine sensitivity. I ordered the same again but @6mg with the intention to mix with the 18mg, but after a couple bottles of this mixed 12mg I just went to 6mg all the time. Felt much better. Gave away most of the 18mg. What a shame, but beats being wired every evening :)

jensy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I drink too much tea and vape too much I will get heart palpitations and dizzy. Are you consuming alot of caffine products as well?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Taking any supplements or herbal/vitamins?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing that gets me is that you're vaping a last generation device and a new generation sub ohm clearo interchangeably. The nic is going to hit you a lot harder out of that Delta than whatever's on the spinner.

As for the original question, vaping did not cause your panic attack. Hope some of the other suggestions here help, and try 6 mg in the Delta and save your 12 mg for the spinner.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Please call your primary care physician
56210885.jpg

Nicotine is one of the most potent stimulants there is. You most likely received more Nic while chaining A vape then smoking resulting in an increased heart rate and symptoms. The increased HR causes identical symptoms of panic. You gave yourself a medicinally induced stress test vs a physical stress test. Cut the Nic level when chaining and see your PCP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Probably too much VG of you are having a heavy chest feeling...

VU Sponsors