Become a Patron!

(First Mech) Stingray X, KICK, Battery, and other Qs?

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
First mech, ordering a Stingray X (SXK clone from Focalecig).

I'll preface with the fact that I'm not rebuilding yet, and I realize that it is just easier to get a regulated mod - but I just love the look of the Stingray X and I really want to make it work for me.

So, as I'll probably be using clearos to start with (Nautilus or Protank styles), I will be getting a KICK (cheap smoktech one). I don't believe the Stingray X can be kicked in 18650 mode as it doesn't have the extra kick ring, but I THINK but am not sure that it can use an 18500 or 18350 with a kick.

There are two similar sizes, 18490 and 18500 (49mm and 50mm respectively I think). Which should I purchase to use with a kick? Will it matter? Also I'm wondering if the button top or flat top will make a difference (I only have flat top 18650's right now for my regulated devices).

I assume that the 18350's will do fine with a kick in the right configuration, but correct me if I'm wrong please, as I'll be wanting to order some of those as well.

Also, I'd love to hear suggestions for an RDA that would be both easy to build on for a beginner AND look nice on this mech (Copper or Stainless I guess?) I'd want something affordable either way, as I still need to purchase an ohms meter and the other bits necessary (rather not fry one of my regulated mods that check ohms).

Any other advice for a new mech user would be appreciated as well!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Not sure what the total length will come out to on those different sizes of battery. At best on a mod that is not specifically designed for using a kick...you may only have about 4mm of room. This is why it would be hard to recommend button or flat top batteries. The only advice I can offer is to take everything to your local vape shop and just swap bits around to see what works. As for an RDA...most will swing you towards the MutationX as it is available in both metals.....but personally...the same is true with the Plume Veil. What is your goal when you start rebuilding? Clouds? Flavour? Nice blend of both?

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For me, rebuilding will be about getting nice flavor and SOME vapor. I'm not into big clouds and when I do start building I don't see the need to go deep into sub-ohming if I can get nice results without. Safe and simple is the way I'd like to go. Something that I can build a single coil on to start with would probably be best.

BOTH the Plume Veil and the MutationX look great to me. If they are easy enough to build on I'd probably go for either, with the lowest price winning out.

For the batteries, I do have some battery magnets (the little rare earth magnets) - could that take care of a space issue if I go with flat tops to start with?

My local B&M's are worthless, unfortunately, and I'd have to drive two hours to get to a decent one that would be able to help me.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
For me, rebuilding will be about getting nice flavor and SOME vapor. I'm not into big clouds and when I do start building I don't see the need to go deep into sub-ohming if I can get nice results without. Safe and simple is the way I'd like to go. Something that I can build a single coil on to start with would probably be best.

BOTH the Plume Veil and the MutationX look great to me. If they are easy enough to build on I'd probably go for either, with the lowest price winning out.

For the batteries, I do have some battery magnets (the little rare earth magnets) - could that take care of a space issue if I go with flat tops to start with?

My local B&M's are worthless, unfortunately, and I'd have to drive two hours to get to a decent one that would be able to help me.
Magnets are worth a try. Few drippers are easier to build on than the Plume IMO. Another option would be the Magma. My two favourites are the Doge and Tobh...but both can be a bit of a pain to build on.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've seen a lot of good nods on the Magma for beginners. I'll search around a bit and check them out. I am liking the looks of the plume a lot though (obviously looks are important in this case, the entire reason I'm jumping into a mech haha).

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I've seen a lot of good nods on the Magma for beginners. I'll search around a bit and check them out. I am liking the looks of the plume a lot though (obviously looks are important in this case, the entire reason I'm jumping into a mech haha).
You will not be disappointed in either. An added advantage to the Plume...is if in the future you want to do a wee bit of "chasing"...it is compatible with the Chuff Enuff top cap/drip tip.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i should have the kick ring. because mine (stingray and nemesis) have an extra ring left over when I use it in 18650 mode.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I have seen a couple of stingray X tubes on fasttech that apparently work well for adding a kick, so I'll grab both (they are under 4$, seems like a no brainer to try). One is 19mm the other is 22mm, hoping for the best. I figure I may as well - although I've never shopped with fasttech and I've heard it takes a heck of a lot of time to ship sometimes.

VapeMastiff

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Both the Vulcan and the Lil Boy are easy to build on. While I love my Big Dripper, it is a pain in the butt to build.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My Stingray X from FT came with a kick ring I believe (useless extra piece that stays in the box for me). Love the looks of it, but the switch seems a bit weak.

I agree on the Plume Veil, you won't find an easier platform to build on. I've had problems with all of my cheap clones wherein the center post gets pushed up into the Atty, however, creating connection problems. The Igo-M V2 is very similar to my Plumes in the nice, simple build deck, and the center post (so far) seems built a bit better. Looks quite nice on my X, using the copper-accented drip tip that came with the mod...will see if I can snap a pic tomorrow.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, I think I'll go with a Plume to start with, hopefully a decent quality clone. Which Stingray X did you go with from FT? They seem to have a ton of them.

EDIT: Also, if anyone has a suggestion for a Plume Veil, I'd appreciate that too :) Seem to be tons of options there.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
ah, makes more sense lol, I was more lost than usual hehehehe.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ah, makes more sense lol, I was more lost than usual hehehehe.
it was the owners of the beyang 30W and they were spamming the boards this morning on ever random thread with videos and pictures of the device. don't get me wrong i will buy one but he told me min order was 20. i was like i don't need 20. i want one. he said i couldn't buy just one. i was like why are you spamming the boards with stuff we can't buy?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
damn spammers...they been at it this month.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah it was pretty bad. every post was the same ad. I told them to get a vendor account and advertise properly because i want one. but spamming the boards is not the way to go about it.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ended up going with IGO-L and IGO-W4 for starters on the RDA. The day they arrived, the screws were stuck and I apparently didn't have the right screwdriver size, and managed to strip out three of the five heads on the screws in them without ever managing to back out the screws. I don't really have the tools to get the screws out now :(

On another note, ordered an Infinite Magma clone, and hoping for the best.

For the Mech, I went with Focalecig and the Stingray X from SXK. It won't be here for a while though so I'll come back and update when it does finally get here :) If all goes well I do think I'll grab another, but the 1:1 from Fasttech just to see how it is in comparison to the well-received SXK version.

Dr3d

Yes. What was the question?
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ended up going with IGO-L and IGO-W4 for starters on the RDA. The day they arrived, the screws were stuck and I apparently didn't have the right screwdriver size, and managed to strip out three of the five heads on the screws in them without ever managing to back out the screws. I don't really have the tools to get the screws out now :(

On another note, ordered an Infinite Magma clone, and hoping for the best.

For the Mech, I went with Focalecig and the Stingray X from SXK. It won't be here for a while though so I'll come back and update when it does finally get here :) If all goes well I do think I'll grab another, but the 1:1 from Fasttech just to see how it is in comparison to the well-received SXK version.

Sorry I missed your post originally. I wanted to tell you about my experience with my Kicks. I have Evolve Kick II, Sigelie from Fasttech, and a Smoktech Kick. I haven't figured out what the min ohm load the Smoktech Kick will fire is, but I can tell you it won't fire a .8 ohm or a 1.2 ohm build. The Evolve and the Sigelie will. Also the Evolve and the Sigelie regulate up to 15 watts where the Smoktech is limited to 12 watts. Finally, the Smoktech Kick will need to be shim'd to make contact with most mod tubes as it is set up for a narrow diameter tube.

This adds up to my recommendation to look at other kick options. The Sigelie from Fasttech works hand over fists better than my Smoktech kick. Also, I saw you asked about 18490s v. 18500s. I'd shop the battery spec and choose the best battery life. Your Stingray has enough adjustment to handle either. Unfortunately, the 18500 batteries do not approach the technology available in 18650s as they have fewer applications - I'd estimate they average about half or less the mAh of comparable 18650s. IMO, it's worth finding a kick tube allowing you to enjoy the 18650 battery life in your mod if one is not included with your Stingray.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks dred!

I am going to get a couple of the Sigelei 15 watts from Fasttech, absolutely. They seem to be much better liked and as you say can fire lower builds (although I'm mostly planning to stay above 1ohm, once I get there). And that price is right!

I am getting the 22mm and 19mm extension tubes from FT for the Stingray X so that I have as much adjustment as possible. I did find some of the new AW 18490's that are 1200mah, which seems pretty good. I like Keeppower batteries, but they are a little thicker than many 18xxx batteries so the 1100mah Keeppower 18500's might not work and I'm not really into risking it. I think the 22mm Stingray X tube should make 18650 kickable, but there isn't a lot of documentation outside of fasttech's discussions.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My Stingray X arrived today. Wow, it is really sharp looking! The threading all seems pretty nice as most people report, and the tubes are well machined in that they are seamless looking at many angles (not all). One of the tubes, the 18650 extension, has some of what I think are burn marks from the machining on the inside copper part, not sure if that's normal or not or how to go about cleaning it (or do I even need to?)

The switch seems to like to stick after firing, which isn't good. I'll fire it and it'll catch, sometimes continuing to fire, sometimes not. Will be looking into ways to fix that issue.

Still, really excited about my first mech. Here it is with the Infinite Magma clone on top.

sxksrxupl.jpg

I built the magma for the first time last night and WOW, what great flavor! I only built at 1 ohm, and it is just fantastic. I really need to get some more low nic juice though, because it is blowing my head off anywhere above 6mg.

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel you about the sticky button. Just got mine as well and it seems to want to autofire, even when locked. Not sure whats causing it. However, when it is working, it hits like a truck. Definitely like it, just wish it wouldnt auto fire on me.

Fattlestar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been using mine for a couple of weeks now and the button has smoothed out quite a bit just with use. I plan on taking it apart in a couple of days to clean it, and I'll probably add a little vaseline or graphite to further help. I'm not sure why yours is autofiring even when locked; that seems like a more serious issue. Mine would only get "stuck" and autofire in use, locked was locked and never fires as intended. Post if you figure out what's happening with yours!

VU Sponsors