Become a Patron!

First Mech

Ryan555

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Trying to figure out if I should get my first mech or not. How about a little background. I've been vaping just over a year - started like everyone else - Ego with a clearo. Switched to an MPV v2 for my birthday back in October. Picked up a trident clone month or so later. Been building on that ever since. Usually between 1.5 and 1.7 - according to my device - and generally run it between 10 and 11 watts. I know I can build lower, but, on this device that's about where I get my best flavor. Here's my dilemma, tho - I'm getting sick of the trident all the time. Wanting to get some sort of a tank so i don't really have to worry about trying to either drip at a stop light, or over drip before I leave and hope I don't end up wearing more juice than I'm vaping. So, I've been looking and reading and have either thought the Veritas or Magma - which i can drip a ton into and won't have to worry about it - or a Kraken. Either way, it's going to be a clone. But with all of those, would I notice a greater difference in going from my device to a mech? I research ALOT before I buy anything. That's why it took from July until October to get a second device. I have been reading and watching and talking to my local shop quite a bit since January or so. Even thought about a kayfun, but have seen and read so much about how they can be finicky that I may save that one for a bit yet. I already know the batteries I will be using - VTC5 - and I probably won't be building too low. I have tried many different set ups well under 1 and I liked it at about .8 or so, but not much below that. Would I be better off getting a higher powered regulated device? I really want a mech, but if I'm not going to be doing any serious sub-ohming, would it be worth it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We'll if you buy a mech from the right place it'll be cheap enough to test whether it's for you. As far as kayfuns are concerned, the only way to get over their "finicky" aspect is to buy a decent one and practice

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Warning once you start on the mech road, the road is long, there is so many good looking mechs out there, I started with mechs about 4 months ago and when the next 2 turn up, I will then have 14 :)

But you might want to consider one of the 30 watt box mods, will be safer but give you a lot more choice on how to vape, most go down to 0.5ohms, so good for dual coils, I just got a magma last week, and out of the 6 drippers I got, it is the best out of them, easy to build on and has a really deep well, so can drip 30 odd drops into it and vape for quite a while without having to re-drip.

Ryan555

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
We'll if you buy a mech from the right place it'll be cheap enough to test whether it's for you. As far as kayfuns are concerned, the only way to get over their "finicky" aspect is to buy a decent one and practice
This was something that I figured I would need to do, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have something around that's always ready to go, so in case I don't get it right for a bit, I'm not out on my luck altogether.

Ryan555

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Warning once you start on the mech road, the road is long, there is so many good looking mechs out there, I started with mechs about 4 months ago and when the next 2 turn up, I will then have 14 :)

But you might want to consider one of the 30 watt box mods, will be safer but give you a lot more choice on how to vape, most go down to 0.5ohms, so good for dual coils, I just got a magma last week, and out of the 6 drippers I got, it is the best out of them, easy to build on and has a really deep well, so can drip 30 odd drops into it and vape for quite a while without having to re-drip.

I would be worried about the bold section, except that my wife is very much a "get just what you need, no more" kind of person. She doesn't get it and thinks that I should have been able to just stop smoking whenever I wanted, like she could.

I was thinking about a 30 watt device, and even compared them in price, but wasn't sure. I can't even dream of affording a real DNA device anytime soon, and I'm not sure I want to go the Chinese route for one. For a tube and spring - yeah. For a circuitboard that controls as much as they are supposed to - not sure. Especially since it's a copy of another. But, that's just me - don't think I'm down on it completely. And the Magma is at the top for me for the exact reasons you listed. But I also like the idea of a tank, but, since my stuff has a tendency to sit on it's side quite a bit - I don't think a Gene would be a good one for me. I don't have anywhere to put them in my truck apart from the passenger seat.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This was something that I figured I would need to do, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have something around that's always ready to go, so in case I don't get it right for a bit, I'm not out on my luck altogether.
If you want something on the side that's good to go I'm sure plenty of vapers would back me up on suggesting a Kanger Aerotank Mega. And I believe their coils go down to .8ohms - and so will run ok on a mech

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Stingray with a kick. You'll have the best of both worlds. When you want to sub ohm take out the kick. Have a consistent vape with your Kayfun on the mech by dialing in your watts on the kick.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I just got on the mech road, & I'm glad it's long, that way I'll have plenty of people to talk to about what I love, vaping. My wife also does not understand the need to have more than one mod, and the urge to gaze at the different ones with lust in my heart. She has never smoked at all, so she doesn't have a clue how things are. Not her fault, but I can't talk to her about how excited I am to be building my own coils, or going into making my own juices.

I've been looking at 3 different ones, the black Panzer mod, the black Nemesis, and the black Stingray. Will probably end up with all 3, but will start with one at a time. Gonna research the Stingray first. I'm really enjoying my Stainless Steel Sentinel M16, it has been doing a great job for me. I'm switching between a Kayfun Lite Plus, 2 Taifun GT's, & a Fogger V4 for my tanks, and I'm trying to keep them all around 1.3 to 1.5 ohms.

Ryan555

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just got on the mech road, & I'm glad it's long, that way I'll have plenty of people to talk to about what I love, vaping. My wife also does not understand the need to have more than one mod, and the urge to gaze at the different ones with lust in my heart. She has never smoked at all, so she doesn't have a clue how things are. Not her fault, but I can't talk to her about how excited I am to be building my own coils, or going into making my own juices.

I've been looking at 3 different ones, the black Panzer mod, the black Nemesis, and the black Stingray. Will probably end up with all 3, but will start with one at a time. Gonna research the Stingray first. I'm really enjoying my Stainless Steel Sentinel M16, it has been doing a great job for me. I'm switching between a Kayfun Lite Plus, 2 Taifun GT's, & a Fogger V4 for my tanks, and I'm trying to keep them all around 1.3 to 1.5 ohms.

I got to use a vanilla last week at my local shop. I liked the way it felt in my hand, and I really liked the switch. But, I'm looking at the copper one. I may just get two attys, a magma and then either kayfun or taifun or something similar, and build them using my MVP while figuring out a good build for each. Then look again at the mods. I can't seem to find the batteries I want to use, in stock anywhere. Plus I still need a good charger and ohm meter, so, maybe I will just piece it together bit by bit. That way I'm catching hell for spending a ton all at once, when I "don't need to", and just spreading out the cost a little more. But I am getting sick of just using my MVP 24/7.

Fishee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe that once you go to a mech and get the feel for it you're gonna be thrilled. I decent mech and a decent dripper will likely change the way you currently see vaping. Mechs can have a way of changing a vaper's perspective.
You're a research kinda guy so find an inexpensive mech and start doing some builds on your trident and see what all the rest of us mech lovers are lovin about the mechs.
I absolutely love my MVP2 but it aint no mech by any means. They aren't anything near being the same animal.
Good choice on the batteries by the way.

Ryan555

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A research guy would probably be an understatement. For example - I'm playing golf clubs that are 15 years old because I can't decide on what to get. I will spend a year trying everything and then when I decide, the newest is out. Lol

Thanks everybody. I truly appreciate the advice. I rarely post on any forum for anything because I don't normally have anything to contribute. Thanks for not making me feel like a jackass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ryan555

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So, I've narrowed my choices down, and, they all seem to gravitate toward copper. Just something about the looks that I am really digging. But, if I go with a copper one for my first mech, am I kind of ruining all other materials for the future? I've read and heard that copper tends to hit harder and has a lower voltage drop than any other material, save for maybe silver. Am I setting myself up for future disappointment in things like stainless if I go copper for my very first one?

cindycated

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you'll learn to appreciate SS a lot after you've had to deal with the maintenance involved to keep copper pretty: the natural patina from grubby little hands (unless you're into that), the green stuff that forms, the copper stink...

But believe me, I know how important it is to get the first one right. You should just go for it! If you're on the fence, Focal has a group buy (really good pricing) thing going for the Penny mod for just a few more hours. Tiny investment - if you end up not liking it, at least it won't hurt so much.

Last edited:

Ryan555

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you! That's what I've been thinking. Gonna have to check out that group buy. I haven't looked at theirs for a while.

Ryan555

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Jumped on it!! Just placed my order. Now the wait begins. First time ever ordering something online vape related - always gone to a B&M. Excited!!!

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Now I understand my husbands fascination with fishing poles, I never understood why he needed or wanted so many damn poles when he fished for only one type of fish.... Bass. Now I get it!

Crocky

Member For 4 Years
If you want copper for conductivity but SS for ease of maintenance then check out the stingray X. It is copper tube with SS on the outside. I love mine and next to my copper 4 nine they are a couple of my favs.

Nikkita6

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Reviewer
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
If you want copper for conductivity but SS for ease of maintenance then check out the stingray X. It is copper tube with SS on the outside. I love mine and next to my copper 4 nine they are a couple of my favs.

Of course I couldn't agree more Crocky .. I would still like to get the Penny mod, but a clear coated version. I think Copper is gorgeous metal when its freshly machined.

I love the versatility of mechs, ie: size, and aesthetics. Like most other who have posted here, I have long since become addicted, and I have 18 of them right now.

Whatever you choose OP, just make sure you do your research on the style you have selected before you buy.

chris.ardito.3

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Now I understand my husbands fascination with fishing poles, I never understood why he needed or wanted so many damn poles when he fished for only one type of fish.... Bass. Now I get it!
I was the same always buying new poles lures. It's all the same different hobby.

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was the same always buying new poles lures. It's all the same different hobby.
I just didn't understand why he needed two boats, now my dad went and gave my son a John boat that he built a deck on and tricked all out, looks like a mini bass boat! I was always like really you can only use one pole at a time, well then I went with him and did understand that having multiple poles with multiple lures on them was handy.

They other thing I didn't get was why did he buy at least 2 if not three of every lure. Well the first time I lost one of his favorite crank baits in a tree that was about 5 years old, and of course they don't make anymore, I was grateful he had multiples saved my ass!!!!

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Trying to figure out if I should get my first mech or not. How about a little background. I've been vaping just over a year - started like everyone else - Ego with a clearo. Switched to an MPV v2 for my birthday back in October. Picked up a trident clone month or so later. Been building on that ever since. Usually between 1.5 and 1.7 - according to my device - and generally run it between 10 and 11 watts. I know I can build lower, but, on this device that's about where I get my best flavor. Here's my dilemma, tho - I'm getting sick of the trident all the time. Wanting to get some sort of a tank so i don't really have to worry about trying to either drip at a stop light, or over drip before I leave and hope I don't end up wearing more juice than I'm vaping. So, I've been looking and reading and have either thought the Veritas or Magma - which i can drip a ton into and won't have to worry about it - or a Kraken. Either way, it's going to be a clone. But with all of those, would I notice a greater difference in going from my device to a mech? I research ALOT before I buy anything. That's why it took from July until October to get a second device. I have been reading and watching and talking to my local shop quite a bit since January or so. Even thought about a kayfun, but have seen and read so much about how they can be finicky that I may save that one for a bit yet. I already know the batteries I will be using - VTC5 - and I probably won't be building too low. I have tried many different set ups well under 1 and I liked it at about .8 or so, but not much below that. Would I be better off getting a higher powered regulated device? I really want a mech, but if I'm not going to be doing any serious sub-ohming, would it be worth it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I felt the same way about a Kayfun, especially since I had never done a build before. But I found a video on YouTube called the navy nest for the kayfun and read @Nikkita6 review of a Kayfun Clone on vaping cheap and ordered it and the stuff to build with. One day I bought the premade wicks someone on here suggested, and the next day I bought the materials to do my own, then I bought the Clouper version of the Hanna Mod. I never believed in charge cards, but now think the hubby should change the password on the damn paypal account!

Damwow

Vapor's Dream
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you watch the pros fish they have about 5 poles, with different lures on them.
My son (step son, but we don't use that word here) used to make me watch fishing shows and get out his tackle box, with all those plastic trays and quiz me on the types of lures they were, I learned a lot about gigs, crank baits swim baits, the whole 9 yards! He was so cute back then. He played around with those lures like most boys play with matchbox cars! He was so proud to go down and get a license for that boat and had his bubble bursted real quick when the lady at the BMV told him that at 16 he wasn't old enough to do it himself, that he was for a motorcycle, but not a boat!!!

Reading this has me really interested in trying a mech now, but after the last few days, I should have my internet disconnected!

VU Sponsors