Become a Patron!

First Rig Advice - n00b to sub-ohm vaping

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A little background.

Started smoking tobacco at about 15. I am now mid-30's and a couple years ago started the process of quitting the cigs. I have been vaping for about a couple years with cheap stuff (mark, vuse, njoy, ego knock offs with cheap tanks, etc). About 2 months ago I "upgraded" to a decent setup (kanger mini protank 2 with itaste vv) which I like way better than the other equipment I was using but then it happened. A new guy at work... who is a very casual sub-ohm vaper started and we started talking about this stuff. So basically he let me take a few rips off his rig, and this was what I have been looking for since starting to quit.

I have been researching a couple different setups. What I am looking for is a solid sub-ohm rig that is solid (that won't break the bank). I am NOT interested in building my own coils... yet. I would prefer to dip into the sub-ohm world slowly, but don't want to by crap. After hours of researching and finding reviews online, I think I have a couple setups, but I can't pull the trigger on either of them so I thought I would post up here and get some pro and cons from the veterans. I am not closed minded to other setups, but these are the two I have been mulling over for the past couple weeks and I threw in my buddies rig too (option 3).

Please take a look at the setups and offer up some pros and cons (especially pit-falls) for a n00b!

<edit> Forgot to mention I favor the flavor over clouds, but clouds are cool too... </edit>

OPTION 1
- Kanger Kbox (black)
- Efest 3100 mah 18650 (two)
- Efest SODA charger
- Kanger Subtank Mini (with OCC and RDA heads)

OPTION 2
- Eleaf 50W iStick (black)
- Eleaf MELO subtank

OPTION 3
- Aspire premium setup (stick with Atlantis tank) all in one.
- The main drawback for this one for me is you have to remove the tank to charge.

Main goals:
- Lasting all day battery (or with Kanger the two batts)
- Lasting all day (tank) - currently I have to refill at least once a day
- Solid products that won't crap out in 2 months

Sorry for the novel, but I am really interested to see what the veterans think and how well I did my homework. The hardest part for me has been figuring out what batteries are crap and what ones aren't?!

Thanks guys!
skeptiq

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi, and welcome!

The only problems I see are in your first suggested setup - those Efest batteries aren't generally recommended as they overstate the safe amperage draw, and the only Efest charger that's generally recommended for vape use is the LUC series. Failing the LUC, the Nitecore Intelligicharger and Digicharger are also good, as is most anything in the Xtar line.

Samsung 25R batteries, or LG HE2/HE4, will work fine in a Kbox and will be cheaper than the Efests anyway.

Check out the Subtank Wars thread on here for info on all the different tanks out there - there are a handful of tank options out there, and you don't have to necessarily pair branded toppers with mods - if you decide you want to put an Atlantis on a Kbox, or an Arctic on the iStick (my current preferred setup, despite some random firing problems with the iStick), have at it!

I've also got a big post up with lots of info pertinent for users switching from beginner to advanced setups here:

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
^^^ That.....lol!
I started like you, first with Blu (a waste of time and money), and thought I was quite content with vv eGos and an assortment of clearos - until a guy at a local vape shop gave me a hit off his Atlantis.....that was it, went straight to sub ohm and am in bliss! My first tank was a nano, no coils to rebuild, very simple, awesome flavor, and a Cloupor Mini. I have two KBoxes I really like, as well as a Kanger sub tank plus, which opens the field of opportunity for building. (Don't feel bad about baby steps, I personally think it's beneficial to getting an understanding about how all this works)
Follow @OBDave and you'll be a happy vaper!

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sweet, thanks for the battery advice.

I did look at several tanks and I really liked the kanger subtank series and the Atlantis 2. I do like that I could "grow" into the rebuild world if I understand the RDA part of the kanger subtank series (sans the nano)...

Cheers,
skeptiq

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
^^^ That.....lol!
I started like you, first with Blu (a waste of time and money), and thought I was quite content with vv eGos and an assortment of clearos - until a guy at a local vape shop gave me a hit off his Atlantis.....that was it, went straight to sub ohm and am in bliss! My first tank was a nano, no coils to rebuild, very simple, awesome flavor, and a Cloupor Mini. I have two KBoxes I really like, as well as a Kanger sub tank plus, which opens the field of opportunity for building. (Don't feel bad about baby steps, I personally think it's beneficial to getting an understanding about how all this works)
Follow @OBDave and you'll be a happy vaper!

What is your battery setup with your kbox? Just realized how dirty that sounds, lol...

How is the battery life, charge time, etc?

Thanks,
skeptiq

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have two vtc5's that have a decent battery life, can almost make it through the day without changing, but I'm a chain vaper. Also have two LG 2500 35's that die out a lot quicker, but with four batteries I've always got a fresh one.
I will say I've noticed my new black KBox drains batteries a little quicker than my silver one. Of course color doesn't have anything to do with it, but I am a bit curious as to why the new one is a battery hog....lol! @OBDave ?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Option 1 with Samsung 25R's

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do notice that battery life isn't exactly wonderful with my Kbox - I'm using old Efest "35A" (actually 20A) cells and one LG HE2, getting about 2 - 2 1/2 tanks out of my Subtank Mini per charge at 20 watts. I was just chalking it up to my batteries being old (they've all gone through 100-200 charge cycles back when I was using mechs) and comparing a single 2500 mah battery to the pair I use in my Sig 100 or the 4400 mah fixed battery in my iStick.

Still not bad, I've been carrying both the Kbox and iStick with Subtank Mini and Arctic attached, since I got both of my low-power box mods and sub-tanks all around the same time and I like having flavor variety. I still get a full day out of the Kbox and 2-3 out of the iStick, but I still use the Sig with drippers at home. I'd say 2 batteries and the Kbox should be fine to get you through a full day if that's all you're using.

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would you recommend the istick over the kbox?

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do notice that battery life isn't exactly wonderful with my Kbox - I'm using old Efest "35A" (actually 20A) cells and one LG HE2, getting about 2 - 2 1/2 tanks out of my Subtank Mini per charge at 20 watts. I was just chalking it up to my batteries being old (they've all gone through 100-200 charge cycles back when I was using mechs) and comparing a single 2500 mah battery to the pair I use in my Sig 100 or the 4400 mah fixed battery in my iStick.

Still not bad, I've been carrying both the Kbox and iStick with Subtank Mini and Arctic attached, since I got both of my low-power box mods and sub-tanks all around the same time and I like having flavor variety. I still get a full day out of the Kbox and 2-3 out of the iStick, but I still use the Sig with drippers at home. I'd say 2 batteries and the Kbox should be fine to get you through a full day if that's all you're using.

Well, weird! I have new (from a reputable vendor) Sony VTC4s, and I only get one tankful from a subtank mini at 20-25 watts..... maybe my 'reputable vendor' isn't selling genuine Sonys (my fault, I should know better!)!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think some vendors are even aware they may be selling fakes. I expect fakes from someplace like eBay, but better businesses are expected to deliver authentics when advertised as such. My Freedom Smokes was advertising authentic vtc4's for $10.95, might be worth a look.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think some vendors are even aware they may be selling fakes. I expect fakes from someplace like eBay, but better businesses are expected to deliver authentics when advertised as such. My Freedom Smokes was advertising authentic vtc4's for $10.95, might be worth a look.

I got them from Lightening Vapes, so I'd be surprised if they were fake - but who knows.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would surprise me too, I've heard good things about them.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, weird! I have new (from a reputable vendor) Sony VTC4s, and I only get one tankful from a subtank mini at 20-25 watts..... maybe my 'reputable vendor' isn't selling genuine Sonys (my fault, I should know better!)!
That does seem odd - I would expect a slightly lower life out of a VTC4 (2100 mah vs. 2500), but still probably close to 2 tanks. Could be that even if genuine they're just old...I've never had a problem with Lightning Vapes and they're on of my favorite vendors to recommend.
Would you recommend the istick over the kbox?
At this point, probably not. It will fire lower-ohm coils, last longer, and give better adjustment, but I've had problems with my fire button cutting out, and others have reported auto-firing, sometimes so bad the battery melts down. Until I see a definitive cause and solution for this, I've stopped recommending them...

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That does seem odd - I would expect a slightly lower life out of a VTC4 (2100 mah vs. 2500), but still probably close to 2 tanks. Could be that even if genuine they're just old...I've never had a problem with Lightning Vapes and they're on of my favorite vendors to recommend.

At this point, probably not. It will fire lower-ohm coils, last longer, and give better adjustment, but I've had problems with my fire button cutting out, and others have reported auto-firing, sometimes so bad the battery melts down. Until I see a definitive cause and solution for this, I've stopped recommending them...

I bought them when I bought the Kbox, so they weren't old to me - but I guess they might have been old stock.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Stopped at a local B&M the other day and they were telling me they can't get the iStick 50 watt right now from their distributor do to problems they are having.

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks guys and gals, I really appreciate the input!

Cheers,
skeptiq

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought them when I bought the Kbox, so they weren't old to me - but I guess they might have been old stock.
Old as in they haven't been made for a while, so if they've been sitting in a box without use or charging the cells may not be as strong. And I've been monitoring my use a little more closely since your first post - 1 1/2 - 2 Subtank Minis on a 2500 mah battery is a more accurate description of my lifespan...I exaggerated somewhat significantly.

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have decided with:

Kanger Kbox
2 Samsung 25r
Nitecore D2 w/ lcd

Still up in the air with the atomizer...

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Id go with a Cloupor mini 30 watt and a Kanger subtank nano...replaceable coils..you can get .5 or 1.2 ohm... very good Samsung 25R batteries and decent charger and your well on your way for less than $100 dollars

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Great charger..great batteries...The K box seems to work but to say you will like exactly what the pre sets will give you is a shot in the dark...not everyone like the same wattage even with the same coil in a tank...you might set it on 14 watts and its ok but 20 watts too much for you...maybe you would like 15.7 watts or 16 watts...see where im going with this?

Get something more fine tune adjustable is my recommendation.

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great charger..great batteries...The K box seems to work but to say you will like exactly what the pre sets will give you is a shot in the dark...not everyone like the same wattage even with the same coil in a tank...you might set it on 14 watts and its ok but 20 watts too much for you...maybe you would like 15.7 watts or 16 watts...see where im going with this?

Get something more fine tune adjustable is my recommendation.

Any inexpensive boxes that are adjustable like that you could recommend?

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Leaning towards the kanger subtank (one with the RDA for future).

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Any inexpensive boxes that are adjustable like that you could recommend?
If you went with a kanger nano tank 30 watts is more than enough for one..I bought a Cloupor mini 30 watt not long ago thats been doing just fine..paid less than 30 dollars for it shipped..You have to wait a while for it for that price but innthe U.S..you can find them for mid 30s and have it in a few days...The Sigelei Mini 30w is also a great 30watt box...Priced around the same...Maybe slighlty more but under 40 dollars.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Then you may as well get a box to take you into that future...i would go with a 50 watts minimum box...More money though.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sigelei 30 box seems to fit all your requirements if you go with a Subtank - I've never run mine above 27-28 watts and it seems more comfortable in the 20-25 zone. Plenty of power, plus the adjustability of 0.1 watt increments - personally I'd like to see 0.5 watt jumps since 0.1 doesn't do much for me, but it's either teensy tiny adjustments or the 5.0 watt jumps of the Kbox...I like your battery and charger choices for sure, though.

You could always go whole-hog with a dual-battery device like the IPV4 or Sig 150 and just be done with upgrading forever...unless the size bothers you. I carried my Sig 100 around for a couple months (same size as either of the suggested devices) and it got along with me fine - same size as a pack of cigs before considering the topper...

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any opinions on the defender 36watt box?
Option 4

Istick 50 & Subtank mini.

I had looked at that setup, but due to the possible "issues" of the iStick 50 and I like the idea of just having to replace that batteries, I have decided to explore the 18650 compatible boxes. I found a great deal on the kbox which is why I was leaning there and to be honest, that one is still my target. Should I decide to go RDA in the future and the way I like to buy electronics, I am going to want something new anyway. It'll give me something to research all over again, lol.

Going to look at a couple more boxes before ordering, but right now the kbox is still at the top. Hopefully placing an order soon! I'm getting impatient, ha.

Cheers & thanks for all the advice!

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sigelei 30 box seems to fit all your requirements if you go with a Subtank - I've never run mine above 27-28 watts and it seems more comfortable in the 20-25 zone. Plenty of power, plus the adjustability of 0.1 watt increments - personally I'd like to see 0.5 watt jumps since 0.1 doesn't do much for me, but it's either teensy tiny adjustments or the 5.0 watt jumps of the Kbox...I like your battery and charger choices for sure, though.

You could always go whole-hog with a dual-battery device like the IPV4 or Sig 150 and just be done with upgrading forever...unless the size bothers you. I carried my Sig 100 around for a couple months (same size as either of the suggested devices) and it got along with me fine - same size as a pack of cigs before considering the topper...

Darn you!!! ;) I am really liking this one now... decisions decisions...

Cheers

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Darn you!!! ;) I am really liking this one now... decisions decisions...

Cheers

You got me on this one... I'm hooked on the Sigelei 30w. After looking it up it is exactly the device I was looking for. I am glad I waited...

So... I started looking at the tanks again... any thoughts / opinions on these guys:

Aspire Atlantis v2
Kanger Subtank Mini
Eleaf Melo (apparently design borrowed from Aspier Atlantis except OCC)

... I am pretty sure they should all work well with the Sigelei 30w, unless I am missing something.

Cheers!

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I dunno if anyone mentioned but I'd go kanger mini with the occ heads the 5 mls will last you all day. For a mod the istick 50 enough power to grow and battery life for over a day maybe two and has a built in charger and batteries.
Edit:: I only read your OP and answers but I'd get the kanger mini. Easy and vapes good around your mod range. Over 30watts is pushing it. Also has a rba head so you can start learning how to use the force. and become a hobbiest and be broke :) damn new mods every other day

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmmm according to aspire's website, the 1.0 coil is for 40-50w... so that one may need to be ruled out... I know the Melo was designed for the iStick 30, and I think I'll just go with the Kanger Subtank Mini...

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ordered

Sigelei 30w
Kanger sub mini
LG HE4
Nitecore D2

Hurry up mailman!
Good setup - hope you got at least a pair of batteries to swap out! And when that Kanger tank comes in, take a needle and gently poke a couple holes in the cotton from each side before installing - it'll help juice flow and thus help you avoid dry hits...

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good setup - hope you got at least a pair of batteries to swap out! And when that Kanger tank comes in, take a needle and gently poke a couple holes in the cotton from each side before installing - it'll help juice flow and thus help you avoid dry hits...

I did get a pair of batteries. I should have the batteries and charger by Friday so they'll be ready to go when the box and subtank comes in... I am super stoked!

Cheers!

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just wanted to thank everyone again for their input, I am very confident this setup will be solid and I am looking forward to getting all the pieces. The whole rig with shipping cost about $100 which fit my budget great. Had I ordered the kbox it would have been about 20 cheaper, but I really liked the Sigelei after reading about it.

Great forum, thanks guys and gals!

Cheers

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Subtank Mini was probably your best choice for your first tank honestly...the nano serves a purpose but no RDA deck and you'd have to fill it more than once a day for sure...it's got is place but first vape I don't think would be it. I use my Subtank mini out of convience right now because I am going threw a building slump to be honest...I normally love building but I am happy with my coils and am dreading when they finally wear out and I have to make more and hope they come out the same....anyways...I fill the Subtank Mini once to twice a day depending on how much I have at work and I vape it at 25-30 watts with no problem on stock or rebuild OCC heads. I use it on my Vaporshark rDNA 40 and I easily get two tanks out of a 2500 mah battery...but the DNA boards are very efficient...might get a little less run time out of the Segelei. I only use my 150 for drippers and its a 2 battery series mod so I couldn't say as it's comparing Segelei apples to Segelei oranges, sorry :)

I think the Segelei 30 watt was a solid first choice...I used to recommend the Isticks but as the 50 watt have been having issues I think the Segelei or the IPV mini v2 would be your best bets for first mods....I know you'll be happy and I hope your vape mail gets here soon for you. Happy vaping and cheers :)

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Imho that's ^^^^ the best tank option for someone with your goal, no matter the mod you decide on.
If you, at some point, decide to get into the hobby end of vaping or dripping you'll have the rba yo practice building coils on. The subtank also has a few accessories should you gk you go the route some of us tend to get into.

As to the mod, the kbox us a great simple, inexpensive mod without a built in battery. Some of us aren't fans of the istick, MVP style because when the battery stops taking a charge you're left with a paperweight.
I started with an MVP2, 6 months later it went to mod heaven.

I would stuck with kbox for the price or look into something with changeable batteries and a solid chipset, maybe the sigelei 30w or 50w.
The subtank will run fine in a 30w mod, but 59w would be really a nice minimum should you go the hobbyist route.
Congrats and best of luck

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats!!!!!

skeptiq

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am sure you've all seen this before, but all the hardware is in!

Just went outside and man, night and day difference from the old setup.

Thanks again for all the input, I am very happy with my rig!

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20150518_120605.jpg
    IMG_20150518_120605.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 8

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am sure you've all seen this before, but all the hardware is in!

Just went outside and man, night and day difference from the old setup.

Thanks again for all the input, I am very happy with my rig!

Cheers!
Awesome!! And we're all familiar with that "feeling".......:D

VU Sponsors