Become a Patron!

First Timer Did I Do Right.

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I went and bought the coil master v3 online. I built my first dual coil build on a clone RDA dripper and wicked it. So far so good it seems. I used the online steam engine to calculate everything here are the numbers I got for a dual coil build
Kanthal A1 24awg came with kit.
3 mil diameter coil
6.3 wrap per coil
desired ohm .03

I ended up with on my 75 dna. Plus testing with supplied ohm meter. A match.
.029 ohm (firing and resting) doesn't seem to fluctuate.Stays at .029
3.43 v (firing) 40w
11.8 amp (firing) 40w

Being a first timer. Am I on the right track? Any help or tips would be appreciated from those who have building coil experience.

Thanks

suDnd3th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Everything with the coil changes the resistance a little. From Leg Length to how tight your wraps are your end resistance will fluctuate a little.

Now only thing I'm wondering is did you add a extra 0 to your desired Resistance when you typed it and meant 0.3 ohm or if you actually built a 0.03 ohm coil cause if that is exactly what you meant then your running quiet a dangerous coil which could cause some problems if your DNA will fire it. Most regulated mods have safety's so you can't fire below 0.1 ohm in wattage mode. Some go lower in TC than that. But a DNA 75 i can't see allowing you to go any lower than that if it even allows that low. I'm not 100% sure on the DNA line, been looking into getting myself a DNA 200 or 250 when funds allow it.

Steam Engine works great for it, I've went and paid for Vape Tool Pro on my phone and love it. Used the base for awhile before I decided to actually pay for it.

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Everything with the coil changes the resistance a little. From Leg Length to how tight your wraps are your end resistance will fluctuate a little.

Now only thing I'm wondering is did you add a extra 0 to your desired Resistance when you typed it and meant 0.3 ohm or if you actually built a 0.03 ohm coil cause if that is exactly what you meant then your running quiet a dangerous coil which could cause some problems if your DNA will fire it. Most regulated mods have safety's so you can't fire below 0.1 ohm in wattage mode. Some go lower in TC than that. But a DNA 75 i can't see allowing you to go any lower than that if it even allows that low. I'm not 100% sure on the DNA line, been looking into getting myself a DNA 200 or 250 when funds allow it.

Steam Engine works great for it, I've went and paid for Vape Tool Pro on my phone and love it. Used the base for awhile before I decided to actually pay for it.

I must of typed my original reading wrong. The reading says 0.31 ohm. I mean't 0.31 ohm

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Looks to me that you are on the right track indeed!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As long as you got all your hot spots out of the coil and they both glow evenly from the center outward, I would consider it a success...Congrats on your first build

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As long as you got all your hot spots out of the coil and they both glow evenly from the center outward, I would consider it a success...Congrats on your first build

When I first built it I had a hot spot on one of the coils. I noticed a uneven burn from center on out.

I took the ceramic tweezer and tightened the coil while firing. The coil or both coils evenly fired bright from center on out. It fixed it.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
you can also brush the pointy part of the tweezers across the coil to make it even better...its called "Brushing"...it works quite well

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you can also brush the pointy part of the tweezers across the coil to make it even better...its called "Brushing"...it works quite well

Thanks . I'll look it up online.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
its all over youtube watching people build on newer style gear..You cant miss it..lol

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
actually I may have that word wrong..maybe its "strumming"...lol

suDnd3th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah I usually brush/strum the coils before I start firing myself and do it after pinching them while dry firing also

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

suDnd3th

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It would be called strumming I'm pretty sure your the first person I've seen call it brushing

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I have heard "scrape your coils". Even heard a guy say that he "Strokes is coil". I don't want to stroke my coils, I will just strum them.

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
At one time the local vape shop used to do builds. After getting out the hot spots the guy would dry fire and submerge the top of the build in a cup of water. I think he said it was to remove excess juice and/or clean the metal impurities of the coil.

Ever hear of that is it common.

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
At one time the local vape shop used to do builds. After getting out the hot spots the guy would dry fire and submerge the top of the build in a cup of water. I think he said it was to remove excess juice and/or clean the metal impurities of the coil.

I have heard plenty of people do it. I never did. No reason that I don't do it, just never tried it myself.

stmtpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I've read but can't confirm, dry firing and immediately submerging in water makes the wire brittle. Need more input on that though. Anyone else?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I suppose if you got the coils white-hot, and dunked them, it might make them brittle. When cleaning mine, I just get them orange, and drip tapwater on them once or twice. Haven't broken any yet.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the build vapes good... it's a good build... if it vapes bad it's bad...

Beyond that it really doesn't matter.. unless said build is harming the mod or batteries.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors