Become a Patron!

First Twisted Coil Build

greencow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just wrapped a twisted 26 gauge kanthal coil, 6 wraps at 3mm ID, clocking in at .5ohm. Sitting on a plume veil 1.5 Tobeco clone, firing between 35-40 watts on my Kbox mini. Just got the plume veil yesterday, it's my first RDA, and I'm hooked. Used my ST mini all day today at work, and while it's a great tank, it just doesn't do it like the plume veil does...

k1GTYird6qYFPfQO5amACpiEleVdfTaXd5wPIK2aOaA=w1274-h955-no

This thing rocks. I went through 4-5 different coil builds the night I got it, and settled on a nice micro coil that was around 1ohm. It fired quick, but it seemed to dry hit pretty quickly (4-5 good pulls).

The twisted coil wicks so much better, by the time I'm sensing a dry hit, I just get less flavor, instead of that burnt cotton-y taste. It's not quite as hot a vape, but if I choke down the air flow a bit it gets there. When I go to re-drip, I can actually see the wick is semi-dry in places, the flavor is amazing, and it chucks some decent clouds.

I did a small twisted coil on the ST mini's RTA, but it just didn't work all that great, took WAY too long to fire, didn't get warm at all, in general the vape sucked. Figured I'd give the twisted coil another go on a real RDA, and dammit, I'm glad I did!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Congrats on finding something you like...I still have yet to try a twisted coil on anything...Considering the power it takes to light those bigger gauge twists up, i may go with a much smaller diameter like maybe twisted 32 or 30g and see how it does.

greencow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks Mike! It's definitely on the cooler end compared to the micro coils I've tried so far, unfortunately, I've only got the 26g right now, would like to get a spool of 28 and 30 to play with.

It hits perfect, at least subjectively, for me. Warm but not hot, plenty of vapor, and tons of flavor. I don't have to drip as much either, as I did with the micro coils that I've run in it so far.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
How are you twisting your wire?...meaning with a drill? Or by hand?

greencow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Chocked in a drill, I didn't twist this one as much either, the pitch between twists is about 1.4mm or so.

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I use to love twisted coils until I learned how to build claptons and alien claps. Then now I just love macro coils. I haven't built a Clapton in awhile. But for your twisted coils try twisting it to the max until it snaps on one of the ends. More juice wells. I just prefer claptons or macro coils just because twisted coils pop a lot compared to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greencow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I did notice a ton of popping with the twisted coil, it wasn't to bad, but every once and a while I'd get some really harsh spitback. The flavor was great though.... I'm running a dual micro coil build right now, it's not bad, but the flavor doesn't hit like the twisted coil. I'd love to try and build a clapton, I've got some 30 gauge that should be here soon, so hopefully I can try that out.

Sugardonut

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, it does pop a lot especially if you haven't used it in awhile, you would have to fire it up let it pop then you drip. Once you get the Clapton down with 30 gauge get a 32 then 34. For me the taste gets better the smaller the wire you go to Clapton. Twisted 24gauge with a 32 Clapton is pretty good also. Just make sure your mod and battery can handle it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors