Become a Patron!

fish or Reef tanks and Vape?

Dtackett5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
anyone else got fish tanks? and I don't mean that basic tank with a couple goldfish or guppies I mean real tanks. I do planted freshwater tanks and saltwater reef tanks. I would upload more pics but it says the pics are too big for the server to handle.

FB_IMG_1425674183767.jpg 1425886340603.jpg

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a 200g 60cube, 40g frag and 2 100g frag tanks. All salt of course

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
f60a031816b7be7de76bc101036c15bc.jpg
9f32ed50eeb3e80299ad76fb69159021.jpg
efdc1d94d23d2d85fa4aca6a714cfe79.jpg

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i will one day afford i nice size planted tank but no room for anything besides a 10g freshwater gup tank

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea the 200g has costed me around 10k...

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The flash really took away from the colors but I ain't cutting the lights on. That tanks only been up 3 months and I just recently started putting coral in it. I'm about to start importing coral from Indonesia. I've already got all my business licensing and such

829a93dd6891fc34f6112df735190822.jpg

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
nice refug you got going :D ever try your hand at a planted HOB or ripterum

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No. I'm actually trying to keep my fuge very light. My tank parameters are too clean and for great coral growth you need trace amounts of even the bad elements

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
what a lot of people do is place dead coral pieces in there fuge

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a bunch of live rock in one of mine with an algea scrubber

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i like those new hig scrubber i saw from santa monica but i live in basement and tank don't get much real light but one day when i upgrade to a true planted tank is when i'll run a salt system with a few

link added if you have not heard of them

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those are my refugiums and my frag tanks!

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
looks like you have money burning a hole in your electric bill and water bill. :D i take it your run RO/Di

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea I made a nice little Rodi and saltwater mixing station this summer. I can pump water into the house. Either fresh or salt depending on what I'm doing.
6753c3711af5ed03333e2d37f5894df7.jpg

lordmage

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yep to rich for my current blood by props to you

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's a very bad addiction. That's why I can't wait to start getting some coral in to sell.

Dtackett5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
man, didn't even get notified I had responses to this lol...

tanks look great guys. ive been reefing a few years and yeah its been a money pit but once I started fragging it started to pay for itself and then some. then I moved. had to sell everything before the move and haven't set much back up. now ive got a 1 gallon reef bowl im working on until I have the time and cash to set up a new reef. haven't decided what im going to do yet. thinking ill do a 150 gallon cube. love the look of those. not sure if im going to set up another freshwater. it was nice and cheap but never got really excited over it and it took more maintenance than the 4 reef tanks I had setup lol

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice to see some aquarium keepers here. I love em. I've kept reef and planted tanks for many years. I'm not well enough to take care of multiple systems or large tanks anymore but I recently started up another small reef tank last year after donating my tanks, corals and equipment to my brother a few years back. Katrina and Rita KO'd my original systems. Wasn't sure I'd get back into it but they're so addictive.

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yea I should be getting around $20,000 worth of coral for about 5000. That's before I frag. I plan on getting a storefront by this time next year.

Dtackett5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice to see some aquarium keepers here. I love em. I've kept reef and planted tanks for many years. I'm not well enough to take care of multiple systems or large tanks anymore but I recently started up another small reef tank last year after donating my tanks, corals and equipment to my brother a few years back. Katrina and Rita KO'd my original systems. Wasn't sure I'd get back into it but they're so addictive.
yeah they are very addictive lol I was going nuts without a tank and figured I had an old fishbowl laying around. still had my rodi and salt and test supplies etc. so I threw this together.
20151129_165618.jpg

once again, most of my pics are too big lol in that bowl ive got a couple zoa frags and some duncans. nothing special right now as funds are short for a few more months. but eventually id like to shove about 8 different corals in there and some sexy shrimp.

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Small tanks are too easy to crash. Since I got this 200g I've debated on selling the smaller ones.

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
love the look of those. not sure if im going to set up another freshwater. it was nice and cheap but never got really excited over it and it took more maintenance than the 4 reef tanks I had setup lol
You got that right! I finally came to my senses and broke down my 20 gallon planted tank last year. Converted it to a reef. It's so much less work than the planted tank. I do miss the plants and especially the Eastern American newt. That guy was the best at keeping nuisance snails under control. He ate em up.

I'll see about taking some pictures of my reef to post.

Dtackett5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Small tanks are too easy to crash. Since I got this 200g I've debated on selling the smaller ones.

in some ways yes. but my 1 gallon is more stable than your 200 gallon. but then again, I cant really have fish.

I top off after 5 days (sometimes I don't need to top off for a week, just depends on other environmental factors)
100% water change every week
air pump for circulation and it drives off excess co2 and stabilizes pH.
feed heavily a couple hours before the water change (target feeding corals, allowing a bit of excess for the shrimp)

and that's it. due to the 100% water change my levels are always perfect, if I begin to get any kind of algae I burn it off with 35% h2o2 and flush my system with 10 gallons of clean saltwater (haven't had to do this yet) and it will remove all built up nutrients in my rock. its extremely simple. but as I said, I have no fish so I have a very low bioload. stability is easy without fish lol

Dtackett5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You got that right! I finally came to my senses and broke down my 20 gallon planted tank last year. Converted it to a reef. It's so much less work than the planted tank. I do miss the plants and especially the Eastern American newt. That guy was the best at keeping nuisance snails under control. He ate em up.

I'll see about taking some pictures of my reef to post.
you could always put some macro in your display tank. something like dragons breath and dragons tongue are pretty awesome looking.

m.w.baughman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you could always put some macro in your display tank. something like dragons breath and dragons tongue are pretty awesome looking.
I have macro and dragons but they are making my water too clean. I pulled out a bunch and tossed it in one of my big frag tanks just in case. My frag tanks are cycling now and it will help with that algea bloom

Dtackett5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have macro and dragons but they are making my water too clean. I pulled out a bunch and tossed it in one of my big frag tanks just in case. My frag tanks are cycling now and it will help with that algea bloom

yeah they are good for that lol too clean is bad at times. that's why I heavy feed my 1 gallon. enough is left in the rocks for the shrimp to eat through the week and for my water to get just a tad "dirty" through the week to keep my zoas happy.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
not an aquarium, but I did build a 2ft x 6ft x 4.5ft vivarium around 10 years ago. Had it all planted and growing for over 2 years before putting a few dart frogs in it. Then it went for a year working wonderfully. It was nearly self sufficient. Only thing I had to do was add water to the 40 gal reservoir once in a while. Temp was always in the 80s, humidity was always over 90%, the dart frogs lived off bugs living in the enclosure. Then I decided to sell the frogs and disassemble it. Turned it into shelves to hold over a dozen aquariums for other reptiles.

I do miss it though.
21908full.jpg

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I saw your thread title and thought you were going to ask the group whether you could hook your mod up to a tank pump, or whether you could make natural coral juice extract.

Dtackett5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I saw your thread title and thought you were going to ask the group whether you could hook your mod up to a tank pump, or whether you could make natural coral juice extract.
lol na, ive smelt coral and ive tasted saltwater... I would not suggest anyone attempt to make that flavor lol

VU Sponsors