"Flavor Shots" or RDA?

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got into Vaping to curb my sweet tooth and habitual snacking.
So far, it's been helping somewhat. But, I find myself craving more flavor.
My Kayfun V4 just doesn't seem to be doing the trick, no matter my build.
Every juice I've tried so far seems really, really weak. Nice taste; low strength.

I find myself wondering if making my own and adding extra flavor would work.
The other option is an RDA, but I'm hesitant to get one for a few reasons.
Having to drip all the time seems very annoying, and I hear they leak. A lot.
Tip them and they leak. Condensation leaks out the air holes. Here a leak, there a leak. o_O

Would "Flavor Shots" bring the flavor to RDA potency, or would I need an actual RDA for that?

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
a subtank (what ever size catches your eye) would be a tank option that would offer better flavor.

I much prefer flavor on it over the kayfun v4 clone i have

the subtank would offer flavor much closer to a RDA

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been thinking about the Subtank Mini and the Lemo Drop.
There's a lot of people who like one over the other though.
So, it's hard to tell which would give me better flavor.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If the factory coils dont do anything for you, the lemo/lemo drop would probably be fine.

I hear the flavor is better in the drop over the regular Lemo, but at less capacity (4.5ml vs 2.7 IIRC)

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If the factory coils dont do anything for you, the lemo/lemo drop would probably be fine.

I hear the flavor is better in the drop over the regular Lemo, but at less capacity (4.5ml vs 2.7 IIRC)
I can't stand the idea of not being able to make my own coils and wicks anymore.
Paying for new coils all the time when I could get a year's worth of wick and wire for the same price is just stupid.

In terms of the capacity between the Lemo and the Lemo Drop; I'm not too bothered.
I'm a Diabetic, so I always carry my insulin case with me anyways, and a 10ml squeezer goes in there nicely.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a lemo (full size) and two subtank mini's (one with 0.5ohm OCC coil and one in RBA mode)

I prefer the subtanks over the lemo, but i prefer the OCC over the RBA

I am enjoying the RBA mode though, i just cant vape it at as high of wattages with out dry hits

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I remember you posting about vaping to curb eating.

Are you using any nic? I thought you said you used zero nic.

Maybe consider a VERY low nic content. Say 1 or 2 MG. Nic can help suppress appetite.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I vape 3-6mg nic. at first i found it help curb appetite but that was short lived. But it does help with the sweet tooth

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd prefer not to start using nicotine.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you don't want to use nic, then you need to move up to a better RTA or an RDA.

IMO, the subtank is not going to give you better flavor then the Kayfun. I own a subtank and don't like it.

The Billow kicks the ass off a Kayfun. Maybe even consider a Gremlin. That's next for me.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
An RDA will leak all over the inside of my pocket though. :(

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A veritas RDA will give you great flavor and will not leak a drop. If you want a tank, the lemo will not leak a drop. Better flavor from the veritas though.

Joeyvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I use a Squape Reloaded (clone) and Orchid V4 and the taste from both are great. The Orchid will leak sometimes but never a drop from the Squape and the flavor from it is best of all my gear IMHO.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A veritas RDA will give you great flavor and will not leak a drop. If you want a tank, the lemo will not leak a drop. Better flavor from the veritas though.
It won't leak if it tilts in my pocket? My pockets aren't huge by any means, but they're not teeny tiny either.
Last night at work I had my Vape tilt almost completely horizontal in my pocket (iStick 20W + Kayfun V4)...
That's the first time it's ever tilted that far, but had it happened with an RDA it surely would've leaked.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
RDA's don't leak unless you are leaving a pool of juice in the base. If you vape your wick near dry, there isn't an issue with leakage.

Honestly, and RTA will serve you better. I use an RTA all day, and drip when I am home or out and about not working.

My Billow RTA doesn't leak, but I don't leave it laying on it's side either. Any RDA or RTA can leak.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't leave my tank laying on its side either, but it frequently gets titled a bit in my pocket, in the cup holder, etc.

DustinB

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The veritas rda has never leaked on me, I lay it down on the side all the time. All other RDA's I've tried have leaked this way. I had high hopes the marquis wouldn't leak, but I suspected it would on it's side due to the difference in design between it and the veritas. Sure enough, it did.

Both my wife and I use full size lemos as well daily and lay them on the side several times, never leaked a drop.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Only time I've had an RDA leak was when I stuck it in my pocket with the pool of juice in it (as mentioned above), if I accidentally over filled it and it dripped out, if i coughed and blew juice out of the air holes, or (with one of my RDAs) if the o-rings went bad. It may seem like a lot of ways, but all except the o-ring issue can be easily avoided by being careful. Unlike bottom coil tanks. They can leak from something as simple as going from a cold to a warm environment. You also have the risk of a coil burning out and needing to replace it and prime it. Would suck if it happened at the start of a work day and you had no replacements.

Honestly, when I was using my Nautilus and Atlantis tanks, I didn't think I'd like an RDA either because of having to drip all the time. But figured I would buy a cheap clone on a Black Friday sale to give it a try and I fell in love with the vapor production, flavor, air flow, and temperature.

Best thing I could say is to give it a try. Might not even have to risk wasting money on one.
Have any friends that vape with RDAs? Could try one of theirs.
Have any good vape shops you can visit? One of the employees might let you try theirs if they are using one.

normzilla

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My experience is solely with the Lemo drop and not with the subtank

I really like the tank. Rebuildables if that's something that won't bother you. The ability to drip and not commit to a full tank. Great from 18-30watts so a small compact package when paired with an istick 30w. Good sized tank.

But, if your building and want more, a dedicated dripper is the direction you should go. Set up what you're looking for and do the whole check mark chart with pros and cons. Go with what checks the most boxes.

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The problem there is that I can't really compare the two because I've yet to try an RDA.

normzilla

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Visit a shop. Most will have droppers to try like they do flavors.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]
The other option is an RDA, but I'm hesitant to get one for a few reasons.
Having to drip all the time seems very annoying, and I hear they leak. A lot.
Tip them and they leak. Condensation leaks out the air holes. Here a leak, there a leak. o_O
[...]

I drip exclusively, so I'll address your concerns with RDAs if I may:

- Re "dripping is a chore":

Yes, on the face of it, it does seem annoying to drip all the time. After a week though, like any gesture you repeat over and over, you just don't think about it anymore. Your hands sort of do it for you. Believe me, I find dealing with tanks a lot more annoying than dripping: all that business of filling up, cleaning, playing with the wick to avoid dry hits and floodings... annoy the hell out of me.

Me, I much prefer throwing a dozen different flavor bottles in my backpack before leaving for work in the morning, and vaping whatever I fancy during the day - thin or thick juice, it doesn't matter, changing the wick every 3 or 4 days, changing the coil every 3 or 4 weeks, and never having to do anything more.

- Re "RDAs leak":

Yes, many RDAs leak. Some leak a lot, some not too much, and some not at all. The worst offenders are RDAs with bottom air holes, and the truly leak-free ones are RDAs with top holes.

The usual side-hole arrangement used by many RDA is a compromise between price (easy machining) and good air flow that hits the coils straight on. With these, you can control leaking using the following mitigation methods:

- Don't overfill the chamber. With experience, you learn how much is too much when you refill the RDA.

- Never put your mod away with a full chamber.

- If you have a box mod and it has an adjustment ring, line up the air holes so none of them is pointing down when you lay the mod on its side.

- Rest your mod upright as much as possible (if it won't stand upright by itself, buy or make a stand): no atomizer will leak in that position - with the exception of bottom air hole atomizers.

If, like me, you really, REALLY can't stand leaks, there are a few top air hole RDAs that will never leak. Here are the ones I know:

- The JDTech Manta v2 RDA: the best of them all, and the best atomizer period, imho. It is an excellent single- and dual-coil RDA. The air intake is on the top but it feeds from the sides inside the chamber. This thing blows your socks off in terms of flavor and vapor production. I have never had a single droplet of juice leak out of this guy. The authentic is not cheap though, but I see FT has a clone now.

- The Rogue RDA: true top airflow RDA - i.e. unlike the Manta, the air comes down on the coil directly from the top, meaning that if the coils are set too low, less air will touch them, it'll run hotter and won't produce as much flavor. It's also a little less easy to build on. It's not really designed for single-coil either. Finally, you'd better like really loose airflow, because the airflow control ring is almost useless, and is as good as wide open all the time. Having said all that, it's a very competent little atomizer: if setup right, it'll produce almost as much flavor, and a little more vapor than the Manta.

- The Buhawi RDA: a top-to-side airflow RDA, like the Manta. Great flavor, great vapor, clever airflow adjustment ring, gobs of air, but expensive and hard to come by. But my real beef with that atomizer is that the juice touches the copper sleeve inside, and I'm not too keen on that. Juice shouldn't touch anything but stainless steel or glass in my world. I know what juice that's been in contact with copper or brass for too long tastes like, and I'm pretty sure it's not good for my health...

- The Hellfire RDA: okay, but airflow is much too restricted for my taste.

- The SXK SK RDA: what-the-fuck airflow control drip tip design that forces you to remove the top cap each time you want to recharge the chamber. Otherwise okay.

- The Venturi RDA: too complicated for its own good. Otherwise fairly good.

I hope the above will help you join the ranks of us happy drippers :)

VapesXO

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've actually started to drip with my Kayfun V4 for the time being.

oovbHg1.gif

Deck → polycarbonate tank → top cap → chuff cap = :D
Unscrew the whole "chimney" (polycarbonate tank, top cap, chuff cap), drip, screw the "chimney" on; vape!

It's great for testing out new flavors without having to fill and drain, fill and drain, fill and drain.
I plan to buy an actual RDA, but this works nicely in the meantime.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Some rdas are more messy than others. Stay away from rdas that have an external airflow ring, as the juice will condense under the ring. Internal airflow adjustments are your best bet.
Also some rdas have 'side post airflow holes. If they are down on the deck, they are a pain in the ass like the plume veil I have been using for months now. I just got a clt v2, which also has side post airflow but the holes are a half inch above the deck, eliminating any problems.
Some rdas have low air holes that leak easier and some have higher ones that leak less.

There is a common misconception, one that I once held, that assumes all rdas are a mess. Most, if wicked to their individual needs, will hold enough juice in the cotton to give five or more hits, with no pooling to leak in your pocket.
You need to be familiar with your Atty. I've been using rdas for a long time now, carrying them everywhereeverywhere including at work, and have only had one juice spot in my pants.

VU Sponsors