Become a Patron!

Flavors - from plastic to glass?

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a pdf from TFA. They wrote, "Also, in general, it is best not to store these flavors long-term in plastic. The plastic that we ship our larger sizes in (4 ounces and above), is HDPE plastic, which is very resistant to interaction with the flavors. But even with HDPE plastic, I really wouldn't recommend storing them for longer than a month or so. It's much better to store things long-term in glass.

Also, it is not a good idea at all to store the flavors with the plastic eyedropper caps on the bottles. The rubber that's used with the eyedropper's is extremely soft and interacts with a great many materials. If you try to store your flavors with these rubber dropper caps attached you will most likely ruin both the caps and the flavors."

Considering the amount of flavors we acquire and the length of time it takes to use them, do you transfer to glass?

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't transfer to glass and have never had a problem with the flavorings going bad.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
If they don't want people storing in plastic they should NOT sell their product in plastic

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wouldn't bother me to store short term in plastic, such as a time up to 6 months or so. Longer, I'd have to err on the safe side. Not so much based on deterioration or changing of the flavor, but more in the terms of preventing leaching of anything bad from the plastic. Most substances stored in plastic for a long period, even water, will leach some bad things from the plastic.

I think TFA is covering their ass on this side of the issue with that statement. I don't believe they are totally incorrect either.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've had a couple of Inawera bottles leach. Shit was nasty. I could taste the plastic.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All good points. I guess for those flavors that I'll use within 6 months I'll leave them in the plastic. The others, such as FA which are used in smaller %s, I'll put them over to glass.

What's the typical shelf life of flavors? The FA bottles I bought recently are to expire at the end of 2017. I figure if I don't use 10ml of a flavor in a year, then it's no big loss if it goes bad. At about $3 per 10ml, it's not really a problem.

Thanks, all.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I've had a few flavors lose their oomph over time, but those were all citrus flavors. I still have other flavors from probably a couple years ago that taste fine still.

VU Sponsors