Become a Patron!

Florida man died

Silver79

Member For 4 Years
The news is at it again.....Story broke this morning that a 38 yr old man in florida died because his "vape pen" exploded. Many of the outlets then proceeded into the evils of vaping.

They all did agree that the "vape pen" was manufactured by Smok-E Mountain. Which means he was using a Mech. A representative from Smok-E Mountain told the Washington Post their devices do not explode, rather it would have been an atomizer or battery issue........well no shit....lol

My heart goes out to his family, but when are people going to understand the importance of knowing the things you use and its possible risks. Vaping is no exception. If you use Mechs and don't have at least a basic understanding of ohms & voltage law, bad things can happen.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Let it not be in vain and serve as a reminder to all of us mech users. Dont get comfortable, check it and check it twice.

I cant help but feel like there is more to this story though. Making a tube mod explode into pieces would be a very difficult thing to do.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Let it not be in vain and serve as a reminder to all of us mech users. Dont get comfortable, check it and check it twice.

I cant help but feel like there is more to this story though. Making a tube mod explode into pieces would be a very difficult thing to do.
Right?
Even IF the battery went thermal, there are always hints and warnings.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sure wish "the industry" would stop pushing mechanicals to newbies. Terrible for the industry and community as a whole. Reckless, despite everything "being done" to catch up to mythical safety standards.

It's like the gun industry pushing for reloading ammo to someone who heard some ruckus over something called a "Red Ryder?" I dunno lol whatever, it looked cool, whatcha got behind that glass countertop, boss?

Said it years ago, got called names, I'm saying it again today - lump it on. I stand by it, it's a terrible move with terrible optics, and consequences will NEVER be the same. No, but really, it's depressing to watch an industry shoot itself in the foot, so, so many times. Frustrating.

shrug

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sure wish "the industry" would stop pushing mechanicals to newbies. Terrible for the industry and community as a whole. Reckless, despite everything "being done" to catch up to mythical safety standards.

It's like the gun industry pushing for reloading ammo to someone who heard some ruckus over something called a "Red Ryder?" I dunno lol whatever, it looked cool, whatcha got behind that glass countertop, boss?

Said it years ago, got called names, I'm saying it again today - lump it on. I stand by it, it's a terrible move with terrible optics, and consequences will NEVER be the same. No, but really, it's depressing to watch an industry shoot itself in the foot, so, so many times. Frustrating.

shrug

I agree. The main thing is... just because some idiot drove his car at 150mph and crashed and died... doesn't mean that everyone will do that. Same with vaping. There are a lot of ways to drive a car, and a lot of ways to vape. A few ways of both those things are dangerous and could kill you. Most of the ways to do either one, are not dangerous, and 99.99% likely won't kill you. The media knows only black or white, no gray whatever, because they're fucking morons who can't do anything else except look pretty and read a teleprompter.

Andria

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Well said jwill ...Remember when I first joined this forum and some members were pretty vocal in terms of a dress down regarding use of mechs especially when the noobs asked and gave a faint whiff of not knowing what they were talking about.

I think the industry has become very relaxed over thier use and even on our own forum we seem to be a lot more relaxed over the use of mechs and in particular batteries ....I personally hate seeing people freely discussing pulsing and pushing cells cause they know the risks and accept them ...ok that’s great but why do it.... information on this forum is public don’t exceed the CDR should be the only thing people read out there... keep that chatter in private chat is surely the decent thing to do.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
How many times do we see a thread from a newbie or even a member with a few thousand posts asking questions about Mechs or coils that makes many of us cringe? How many times should these people be told DON'T DO IT~! It is NOT Safe? But they turn around and say they know so much but if that is true then why did they start the thread asking the questions? SMFH

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Better to ask and perhaps look stupid than not ask and remove all doubt - sadly we can’t control what people choose to do with information only keep repeating ourselves time and time again and hope for the best. Not that I want to sound insincere I feel for this guys family, I really do

You there ....Don’t push that red button you ain’t ready for it

KPmMOGk.gif

What’s ohms law .... Im ready and really want to try it for myself

tenor.gif

Told you ...

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Better to ask and perhaps look stupid than not ask and remove all doubt

I am not saying someone should not ask questions, my point was how many times we see outlandish questions asked and tons of information is provided in hopes of educating the inquisitor only to hear I know what I am doing and I am going to do it anyway?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I am not saying someone should not ask questions, my point was how many times we see outlandish questions asked and tons of information is provided in hopes of educating the inquisitor only to hear I know what I am doing and I am going to do it anyway?
I don’t know we ought about the setup he was using to make any clear assumptions; however, how many times have we seen subohm tanks on hybrids,tard ohm builds on crap batteries and hard shorts.

I remember when I first got a Mech, pulsevape and a person from ecf, made sure I studied up and knew what had to be done BEFORE, I hit the fire button. Albeit, some methods they used to ensure I educated myself were less than flattering.

Let’s not forget either, no matter how many systems you use to prevent accidents, they can and will happen. Although, based on the little information we have, it comes down to a simple fact: people will do whatever they want.
I truly feel terrible for his friends and family.

VU Sponsors