Become a Patron!

Flying Regs

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
I am very surprised that nobody has chimed in, to let me know what I need to know, about bringing my Vaping equipment through customs at the airport

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're not coming into US than US customs wouldn't be involved it would be TSA. I doubt they will allow ejuice but mod and batteries should be ok

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
The batteries have to be separated from the Mod, and the juice bowls have to be empty, correct?

Can you bring juice in your carry-on?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The TSA folks all know about mod's, tanks and E-Liquid.

It is perfectly OK to keep batteries in your mod and extra batteries must be in a container and also must go in your carryon..30ml bottles of E-Liquid must be packed in a one-quart plastic bag.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Uncle has it right except the juice bottles can be up to 100 ml each, but they have to fit in a one quart plastic ziplock bag. Batteries must be in carry on. If you put batteries in checked bags they will be confiscated. To make life easier on me and the TSA I put my mods and spare batteries in a bowl or bin so they can see what they are without pawing through my backpack.

If you fly a lot invest the $85 and get TSA Pre-Check. Saves time and hassle at the airport. I've flown over 100K miles this year with no stops or inspections from TSA. Knocking on wood... I probably just invoked Murphy's Law and will get inspected on my next flight...:facepalm:

Edit to add: Canada is pretty cool with e-cigs. I was pulling my stuff out of my backpack and the agent said put them back in, we know what they are.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Uncle has it right except the juice bottles can be up to 100 ml each, but they have to fit in a one quart plastic ziplock bag. Batteries must be in carry on. If you put batteries in checked bags they will be confiscated. To make life easier on me and the TSA I put my mods and spare batteries in a bowl or bin so they can see what they are without pawing through my backpack.

If you fly a lot invest the $85 and get TSA Pre-Check. Saves time and hassle at the airport. I've flown over 100K miles this year with no stops or inspections from TSA. Knocking on wood... I probably just invoked Murphy's Law and will get inspected on my next flight...:facepalm:

Edit to add: Canada is pretty cool with e-cigs. I was pulling my stuff out of my backpack and the agent said put them back in, we know what they are.

I have heard that 100ml bottles will pass inspection.

However, I am conservative by nature and not tried everything other than 30ml bottles

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have heard that 100ml bottles will pass inspection.

However, I am conservative by nature and not tried everything other than 30ml bottles
Your bottles of any kind of liquid can be 3.5 ounces. 100 ml is a shade under 3.5 ounce so they are good. Personally I only use 50 or 60 ml bottles for my DIY e-juice.

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
My stepson who is a state trooper, was telling me that from a law enforcement point of view, they scrutinize vaping equipment very carefully, because apparently there are some folks out there who are using them, for drugs that they were not made for.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Precheck is the way to go now for sure. Vaper or not, just so much easier.

My stepson who is a state trooper, was telling me that from a law enforcement point of view, they scrutinize vaping equipment very carefully, because apparently there are some folks out there who are using them, for drugs that they were not made for.

They don't look anything like each other at all. The ones for THC are easily recognized and don't put out huge clouds of vapor. The cops in Los Angeles are hip to it and pull people over for DUI if they see you driving and vaping.

I fly twice a week, mostly domestic some overseas to the UK.

TSA knows all about eCigs, they don't freak out. UK Security out of Heathrow and Birmingham is cool too, So is Charles De Gaulle in Paris, can't speak to other Airports.

Each flight I fly with the following gear:
In laptop bag
2 - Vaporesso Revenger X mods with batteries installed
2 - Vaporesso NRG tanks mounted on the mods, almost full of ejuice
4 - Spare batteries in cases
2 - 60 ml bottles of juice, 2 different flavors*
In carryon suitcase
2 - 100ml (roughly 3.38oz) bottles of ejuice to refill my 60ml bottles*
*without TSA Pre you will need to place these in a 1 quart bag along with your other liquids and gels. So you want be able to take 280ml like I do, just want fit with all your other liquids in a single 1 quart bag.

I once had my tanks swabbed and the swab set off the alarm. Happened once out of 500 or 600 hundred flights, no biggie just extra searches of my bag.

If you have a bottom airflow tank you will need to turn it upside down while the plane climbs to altitude. When it is upside down you don't want the liquid touch the coil where it can pressure out of the airflow. With most tanks this still leaves you plenty to vape if you are going to vape on the plane or between flights on layover. If your tank is top airflow like the Revvo just leave it right side up and as full as you like. I close the airflow on both tanks during the climb. Once at altitude I right my upside down tanks and let them set for 5 minutes to make sure the coil has been rewetted.

Those that get busted stealth vaping on flights are usually turned in by fellow passengers. Some restrooms on planes have vacuum drains. You can identify these by the sound of rushing air in the drain, exhale there. Night flights are better since lights are out. It also helps if your ejuice doesn't have a super strong smell when vaped. Obviously airports and planes are no place to go cloud chasing.

Checked Luggage = Lost Luggage. Never ever check luggage. I can go to the UK for 6 days will my rollerboard carryon.

I have TSA Pre. Worth it if you fly a lot, if you just fly a couple times a year its just annoying to frequent flyers when rookies waste time trying to figure out how to act in the pre check line. They pay for pre check then get to the head of line and act like total morons. They start pulling out 1 quart bags with liquids and gels, take out their laptop, pull their shoes off. I'm the guy behind them telling act like you've been here before.

Hope this helps

Tanks I’ve flown with that don’t leak, airflow closed on all until the plane is at cruising altitude.

Bottom airflow, tanks inverted until at cruising altitude then righted
Vaporesso NRG
Vaporesso Cascade, don’t fill past 2/3rd of the glass tank volume
Kanger TopTank mini

Top airflow, tanks left right side up during climb to cruising altitude
Aspire Revvo

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
Tanks I’ve flown with that don’t leak, airflow closed on all until the plane is at cruising altitude.

Bottom airflow, tanks inverted until at cruising altitude then righted
Vaporesso NRG
Vaporesso Cascade, don’t fill past 2/3rd of the glass tank volume
Kanger TopTank mini

Top airflow, tanks left right side up during climb to cruising altitude
Aspire Revvo

Huh?!

The post about tanks I know not to leak during pressure changes on aircraft. It’s a follow on to the post above it where I discussed how to fly with your vape gear, including going through security with eJuice in the tanks and extra bottles.

In the second post my intent was to explain how to keep tanks from leaking during pressurization of the aircraft as it climbs to cruising a;titude.

Tanks with bottom airflow need to be turned upside down, when upside down the coil must be above the liquid level. If the coil is still in the eJuice when inverted it will create a leak path. If bottom airflow tanks are left right side up the pressure caused by changing altitude will force ejuice out of the airflow holes. This is only a problem when climbing to cruising altitude. Once there you can right side the tank and vape is so desired, although I would allow 5 minutes to allow the wick to re-wet.

Tanks with top airflow holes are fine if left right side up.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Wouldn’t it be easier to just fly with empty bowls??

He is offering you some very sage advice. As a regular fellow traveller everything being shared is valuable information.

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
In the airports I’ve been in....once you walk in the door and until you get outside at your destination, there is zero tolerance for tobacco or Vaping products.

That’s why they invented stealth vaping and smoking rooms, my layover airport is ATL Atlanta they have smoking areas in each terminal.

Gotta get me one of those VIP memberships!!
No need for VIP membership, the smoke rooms are open to everyone smokers and vapers alike, Atlanta’s are in each terminal, Tampa’s is nice in that its out side in the fresh air after you are through security in the terminal, Augusta is similar nice outdoor area

Last edited:
Next time I travel, I’ll definitely inquire about these areas.
They have them in Atlanta, Augusta, Cincinnati, Denver, Salt Lake City.

Anchorage upstairs if traveling international.

Some of these I haven’t been to in some time so some may have changed. But For sure in Atlanta each concourse, Tampa by Gate E62 and Augusta by the food court off the long hallway.

These 3 you can’t miss. The others I don’t seek out they smell to bad

VU Sponsors