Become a Patron!

Formaldehyde in Vape Juice???

Hello! I have been vaping for about a year now and I have recently come across a few articles on the internet. I read that formaldehyde (cancer causing agent) has been detected in vaping. This is a big concern to me because I certainly do not want to be putting my health at risk. After reading this article I looked at my bottle of vape juice and on the back it said that the product may contain formaldehyde. I am not really sure if I should completely stop vaping or if their is a way I can prevent this from happening and continue to vape. Is all of this just a load of bullshit or should I be concerned?

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
From my understanding at normal vaping there is no formaldehyde concern. Studies have not been concluded but suggests sub ohm vaping may have a higher risk level.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Think my juice has chloroform in it. Every time I vape clouds like those in my avatar, I find sleeping deer scattered in the woods. No point wasting good so, I go kill a few bare handed. Already have two deep freezes filled with deer. Need to start giving some away to neighbors. :) ;) :D :p

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
to my knowledge the only test that showed anything conclusive of a carcinogen was a test with an older style clearomizer using silica- a material not used anymore.
they took the silica and fired it , dry, at a power level that no one would use and were able to see trace amounts.

to my knowledge no fermaldahyde has been found under conditions used by even the most power hungry vapor.

However, I behoove you to do your own research by looking at trusted resources.

vaporshark
casaa
dr. Farsalinos
and
sfata

would be safe places to start.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The juice is Donutman by Hall of Fame

This one? If so, here is the company behind the juice product. From my experience in 44 years of life it seems CA has always been rather strict regarding consumer products. The company is based in CA. They're in business it seems two years. Kind of doubt they would risk getting bad reputation with Better Business Bureau or other various consumer watch dog organizations. Some don't like profit though and really are just out to get every body with malicious products.

Glad you caught this. Now we all know to not use this particular juice, eh? If something scares me that badly, I will steer clear. For example I never watch Stephen King's IT with my wife because Pennywise reminds me of Billy Kincade, a sick fuck what raped and killed kids, ate them too. He drove an ice cream truck dressed up as a clown. So, yep, I steer clear of that movie.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes that's it.

Well, glad I could point out who's behind evil toxic juices for you. Remember, we live in the age when information can be found rather quickly. That paired with a bit of critical thought, common sense seemed to help discern safer paths. When in doubt, what does your gut shout? Listen and obey that.

Also be open to go poke around and see if the big bad wolf is only a mouse scratching in the walls. Courage is not lacking fear but setting it aside for what's more important. In this case, your enjoyment, your heath are more important.

Apologies to the mods, I had a chuckle but saw a better way too. Did not mean to step on anyone.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Formaldehyde is created from COMBUSTION
The whole reason we vape (vaporize liquid at a temperature lower than that liquid can become combusted at) is to avoid combustion.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There was the NEJM experiment that intentionally created formaldehyde "Short summary. This experiment, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, operated the vaping device at a such a high temperature that it produced thermal breakdown products (so-called dry puff conditions), but no user would ever be able to use it this way – the vapour would be too acrid."
There are plenty of rebuttals to the study.
But formaldehyde in e juice itself makes no sense.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If there was Formaldehyde in the Juice I think I would of been dead a long time ago...there would be a good sized list of people with health issues contributed from vaping...so far the only health related issues from vaping are only found in the news....most of them are from user error or abuse.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
From my understanding at normal vaping there is no formaldehyde concern. Studies have not been concluded but suggests sub ohm vaping may have a higher risk level.
Bullshit. We sub ohm vapers don't vape dry hits. More airflow actually keeps the coils cooler.

kross8

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello! I have been vaping for about a year now and I have recently come across a few articles on the internet. I read that formaldehyde (cancer causing agent) has been detected in vaping. This is a big concern to me because I certainly do not want to be putting my health at risk. After reading this article I looked at my bottle of vape juice and on the back it said that the product may contain formaldehyde. I am not really sure if I should completely stop vaping or if their is a way I can prevent this from happening and continue to vape. Is all of this just a load of bullshit or should I be concerned?
fear, hate and ignorance are the most common forms of education used by the media & govt.....i just dont like some 22year old 'reporter' hacking a story they just plagiarized from 10 years ago educating me/trying to save me or more realistically,, they are trying to make a deadline for their rent.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So if everything tastes fine then I should be good?

Yes, and that sense of taste will let you know when you need to dry-burn or replace your coil and/or wick. When the flavor either falls off, or just tastes bad, you generally fix it by attention to the coil and/or wick. It can also warn you off stuff you probably shouldn't be vaping -- I've always found flavors and ejuices that contain any diketones taste just rank to me, like something spoiled. And any cinnamon redhot or cinnemaldehyde type flavor tastes like burnt metal to me. Ick.

Andria

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Bullshit. We sub ohm vapers don't vape dry hits. More airflow actually keeps the coils cooler.
The problem is not your airflow but VG at very high temps before it mixes with your lots of air flow will have a chemical reaction causing Formaldehyde in the vape, but how much is the question that has not been concluded or released yet. But personally I would say it is a lot less then when you smoked, just a educated guess.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The problem is not your airflow but VG at very high temps before it mixes with your lots of air flow will have a chemical reaction causing Formaldehyde in the vape, but how much is the question that has not been concluded or released yet. But personally I would say it is a lot less then when you smoked, just a educated guess.
"Trace Amounts"....meaning more then nothing but enough to register....I wouldnt be worried since smokes have a good deal in them and more with the combustion happening..Its just another pointless stab at vaping.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The temperature is the same. Vaporization is vaporization. If we were vaping boiling liquids. We would certainly know it man.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
The temperature is the same. Vaporization is vaporization. If we were vaping boiling liquids. We would certainly know it man.
No Sir I can vape at very high temperatures with a very low ohms, and high wattage or voltage, degrees make the difference in what I am taking about.

Last edited:

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No Sir I can vape at very high temperatures with a very low ohms, and high wattage or voltage, degrees make the difference in what I taking about.
Yes, there are warmer vapes than others, but I doubt there's formaldehyde. Ever tasted formaldehyde ? It's not pleasant. I would like to see a legit study. We'll probably never see one.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Yes, there are warmer vapes than others, but I doubt there's formaldehyde. Ever tasted formaldehyde ? It's not pleasant. I would like to see a legit study. We'll probably never see one.

There have been a few done but just a baseline on regular devices not what the advanced vaper uses.

Feb 2016 Below is NOT sub ohm testing, just basic e-cigs

Kistler and his team found that the levels emitted varied widely depending on the device and the power used, but that most levels were far below what smokers inhale. Even at the highest power settings, three of the five devices produced formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, and acrolein levels of less than 1 milligram each per day. In contrast, smoking a pack of cigarettes in a day exposes a smoker to 1.5-2.5 mg of formaldehyde, 10-30 mg of acetaldehyde, and 1.5-3 mg of acrolein. The levels emitted by those three e-cigarettes were also well below the exposure limits for these chemicals outlined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There have been a few done but just a baseline on regular devices not what the advanced vaper uses.

Feb 2016 Below is NOT sub ohm testing, just basic e-cigs

Kistler and his team found that the levels emitted varied widely depending on the device and the power used, but that most levels were far below what smokers inhale. Even at the highest power settings, three of the five devices produced formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, and acrolein levels of less than 1 milligram each per day. In contrast, smoking a pack of cigarettes in a day exposes a smoker to 1.5-2.5 mg of formaldehyde, 10-30 mg of acetaldehyde, and 1.5-3 mg of acrolein. The levels emitted by those three e-cigarettes were also well below the exposure limits for these chemicals outlined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
What's a basic e cig ? eGo's ?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If you are scared of Formaldehyde forming in your vapor then use TC.
With temperature (limitation) control you can set it at 460 to 480 degrees, get a killer vape and have ZERO possibility of formaldehyde forming from combustion.

Shit, I can't even get a dry hit in TC mode.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
What's a basic e cig ? eGo's ?
Yes eGo's, cartomizers, Cig-a-Likes more the newbie gear. What I know from research done that around 30 watts and 1.0 ohms and above is pretty safe to vape.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes eGo's, cartomizers, Cig-a-Likes more the newbie gear. What I know from research done that around 30 watts and 1.0 ohms and above is pretty safe to vape.
We're good then. Those little pieces of shit are mini hotboxes :D

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If there was Formaldehyde in the Juice I think I would of been dead a long time ago...there would be a good sized list of people with health issues contributed from vaping...so far the only health related issues from vaping are only found in the news....most of them are from user error or abuse.

Shit, me and my buddies used to drive all the way from Baltimore to New York to spend $500 on an ounce of shit that was mostly formaldehyde.
We'd dip cigarettes in it and get stupid all weekend.:D

Good times
One time that shit made me catch a stutter for over a week.
I was petrified that it wasn't going to go away.:eek:

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Shit, me and my buddies used to drive all the way from Baltimore to New York to spend $500 on an ounce of shit that was mostly formaldehyde.

Good times
LMFAO !!!!!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Good times
Yea some orange colored liquids....I used to have a whole prescription bottle full of it I was given for free one time..smell that would choke you up something fierce though!

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Yea some orange colored liquids....I used to have a whole prescription bottle full of it I was given for free one time..smell that would choke you up something fierce though!

I tried that once too

11265155_10154033415656562_7240778624160337968_n.jpg

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
to my knowledge the only test that showed anything conclusive of a carcinogen was a test with an older style clearomizer using silica- a material not used anymore.
they took the silica and fired it , dry, at a power level that no one would use and were able to see trace amounts.

to my knowledge no fermaldahyde has been found under conditions used by even the most power hungry vapor.

However, I behoove you to do your own research by looking at trusted resources.

vaporshark
casaa
dr. Farsalinos
and
sfata

would be safe places to start.
The inital report became fodder for the Antz. What is not stated is that no one would vape a scorching hot burned vape
I've been vaping going on 7 years now. I'd be embalmed by now :giggle:
Tequila doesn't count toward embalming...:p

Pipug

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You gotta sort through the bullshit and find the reliable studies. Unfortunately, MSM hasn't been much help, but, at least lately, they are writing more positive things about vaping. Let's hope it continues in that direction.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes.....This^^^

This study seems pretty legit to me.
http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2014/05/14/ntr.ntu078.full
I copy and paste some of it here.

"> nicotine & tobacco research, volume 16, number 10 (October 2014) 13191326

Carbonyl Compounds in electronic Cigarette vapors:
effects of nicotine solvent and Battery Output voltage

Leon Kosmider PharmD1,2, Andrzej Sobczak PhD1,2, Maciej Fik PharmD2, Jakub Knysak PharmD2,
Marzena Zaciera PhD1, Jolanta Kurek PhD1, Maciej Lukasz Goniewicz PharmD, PhD3

http://ntr.oxfordjournals.org/
Electronic Cigarette
The most popular device available on the Polish market as on
January 2013 was selected for the study. Because the Internet
is currently the main distribution channel for EC, we searched
google.pl web browser and tracked the number of EC sell offers
on Allegro.pl, which is the most popular online auction service
in Poland. Based on the number of search hits and sell offers,
we chose and purchased the eGo-3 brand (Volish, Ltd, Poland).
The device has controlled maximum time for single puff of
10 s. We chose a model composed of a Crystal 2 clearomizer
with a heating element with resistance of 2.4 ohms, a 900 mAh battery
with voltage of 3.4V, and a battery voltage stabilization system.

Results
Levels of Carbonyl Compounds Released From
Commercially Available Refill Solutions

Table 2 shows amounts of each analyzed carbonyl compounds
in 15 puffs of vapor from 10 commercially available e-liquids.
The values presented in Table 2 are means with SD from three
tests performed at the same voltage of 3.4V. All samples contained
at least one carbonyl compound. Formaldehyde, acetaldehyde,
acetone, and butanal were found in most of the
analyzed samples. However, not all commercially available
e-liquids emitted all these four carbonyls. Crotonaldehyde was
detected in only one sample (A10), whereas acrolein was not
detected in any sample.

The amounts of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde in vapors from lower voltage EC were on average 13- and 807-fold lower than in tobacco smoke, respectively.

"> The striking finding of our study is that levels of carbonyls rapidly increase with increased battery output voltage.
Increasing battery output voltage leads to higher temperature of the heating element inside EC. In addition, the increased
battery output voltage results in more e-liquid consumed per puff. Our findings show that increasing voltage from 3.2 to
4.8V resulted in 4 to over 200 times increase in formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, and acetone levels. The levels of formaldehyde in vapors from high-voltage devices were in the range of levels reported in tobacco smoke (1.6–52 µg/cigarette;
Counts, Morton, Laffoon, Cox, & Lipowicz, 2005). This finding suggests that in certain conditions ECs might expose their
users to the same or even higher levels of carcinogenic formaldehyde than tobacco smoke. This finding is essential for
the product safety and in the light of forthcoming regulation of the devices.

The amounts of formaldehyde and acetaldehyde in vapors from lower voltage EC were on average 13- and 807-fold lower than in tobacco smoke, respectively.

Conclusions
Vapors from ECs contain toxic and carcinogenic carbonyl compounds. Both solvent and battery output voltage significantly
affect levels of carbonyl compounds in EC vapors. Levels of carbonyls rapidly increase with increased battery output voltage. New generation of high-voltage ECs may put their users in increased health risk from exposure to high levels of carbonyl compounds although the risk will still probably be much lower compared with smoking.

Last edited:

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Of course vaping creates aldehydes. I thought this was well known by now.

The only controversy was the false claim that vaping creates 10 times the aldehydes as smoking. That simply wasn't true.

And it really is common sense that higher watts = more aldehydes. Just as it's common sense that the more vapor one inhales, the more risk for health consequenses.

I personally don't worry much because at low watts, I'm getting fewer aldehydes than smoking. Except when I get a dry hit and I avoid those fairly well.

I am a newbie/noob whatever to the whole vaping thing, and I know I have to give up a 40 year+ habit of smoking NOW. Tried cold turkey, even hypnotism - did not do it for me. Tried a non-nicotine electronic ciggie-thing after seeing Johnny Depp in a movie with something similar. Very disappointing and really crap liquid supply - put me off it straight away. Looked like a ciggie but just did not cut it. So back to smoking, trying to cut down which only worked some of the time.

You just don't get rid of a habit that has been part of your whole life just like that unless your GP tells you you are gonna die if you don't. Luckily, I am not there yet, but I am not stupid. Some of my mates already died - including one who never smoked. I still want to live and win the Lotto and do some crazy shit... I know now I have to follow a real healthy diet and exercise a bit - and cut down on the booze as well. Would have been better to grow up with the internet as it is - all the information you'll ever need right at your fingertips - just ask the right questions and cut through all the bull!

I saw all the hype about vaping and decided that, if it is really so much safer than smoking, it is a no-brainer to get onto it as quickly as possible. Especially if it can supply nicotine because I thought that was my main addiction - probably like every smoker does - so I started researching the whole thing.

I know now that nicotine is not really the devil - even though it's no angel - and that it perhaps might serve some good purpose in prolonging life and defending against some prevalent neurological problems, especially in my age group, so I probably will continue using it. The whole ritual and act of smoking constitutes the/my addiction to smoking. Sticking a patch on the shoulder to kick the habit? What crap!

I was met on the web with this absolute mess of information. People who claim vaping is the same as breathing fresh air to anti-tobacco groups screaming it will create a whole new world of nicotine addicts who will all die from the same ailments smokers do. So I downloaded and read research, noting the voices of reason and common sense amongst the for-and-against hype.

The conclusion I reached was that vaping is a whole friggin lot better than smoking, but it is not breathing fresh air. Like in all things, moderation is the answer.

It is like comparing the good that red wine can do for your health to binge drinking. As a replacement for smoking and burning tobacco it's a bit like drinking red wine in moderation, as opposed to drinking everclear just to fall over and wake up the next day with hours of your life somehow missing and hoping you did not stuff up and the cops are not looking for you. Not to mention hating life as a concept until the hangover finally subsides into a mild migraine. Stupid. Even if all went well, you still have a chance of cirrhosis of the liver and bowel or bladder cancer somewhere in your future!

Anyway, that's how I see the cloud chasers and the 200 watt car battery users with their .05 ohm stainless steel 500 degree coils dripping DIY VG juice with custard and vodka in it - brainless binge-drinking idiots. It is not a car or a motorbike you modify, it is creating some shit you suck into your lungs, fer christ sake! You can't bullshit your way out of this by claiming it's safer than smoking - and somewhere down the line your dying in agony with emphysema or some brand new lung disease is going to make the authorities and the hysterical anti-nicotine brigade win and spoil the whole vaping alternative for everybody.

Rationalize all you like, it's your life in your hands. Get a hobby, climb a mountain, go skydiving is my advice. Die full of adrenaline, not drowing in your own mucus sucking an oxygen mask in some cold hospital room.

Moderation, mate.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This is a pretty good study funded by Innokin:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0273230015301549

The only sub ohm setup Device 5: Single bottom coil, 0.72 Ω did the best out of all of the others at 15, 20, and 25 W.
and Device 1: Single top coil, 2.8 Ω pretty much failed every test they threw at it except the lowest voltage/wattage setting in the test.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Well am not sure. Just watched a documentary on vaping. Dr Mark Travis who is doing research in this area, when asked what is in passive vaping aerosol = mostly PG &VG with some nicotine, but 20x's less then you would get in cigarettes smoke. Also vaping aerosol has 99% less toxins then cigarettes smoke. He also said that the device and the way it is used also makes a difference, which is what the innokin study above shows.

I would say the best defense of vaping would be to prove that second hand(breathed out) vaping aerosol is A HELL OF A LOT safer than smoke - the so-called second hand smoking hysteria leading to all the smoking bans everywhere. There is no vapour being produced by a vaping device other than the stuff exhaled by a vaper, unlike a smouldering cigarette, point number one. Number two, if some research could call out the BS spread by anti-tobacco fanatics about the so called nano-particles in vaping aerosol being so prevalent and more deadly than nuclear fall-out, we could conceivably get all the save-the-children and second-hand-smoke-is-killing-all-life-on-planet-earth crowd to demand from the governement that smoking be replaced by vaping IMMEDIATELY... LOL! That would be a scenario I'd like to be a front-row spectator to! Even if they tax vaping like Penn is doing, the government(s) would lose a friggin' MOUNTAIN of money!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I would say the best defense of vaping would be to prove that second hand(breathed out) vaping aerosol is A HELL OF A LOT safer than smoke - the so-called second hand smoking hysteria leading to all the smoking bans everywhere. There is no vapour being produced by a vaping device other than the stuff exhaled by a vaper, unlike a smouldering cigarette, point number one. Number two, if some research could call out the BS spread by anti-tobacco fanatics about the so called nano-particles in vaping aerosol being so prevalent and more deadly than nuclear fall-out, we could conceivably get all the save-the-children and second-hand-smoke-is-killing-all-life-on-planet-earth crowd to demand from the governement that smoking be replaced by vaping IMMEDIATELY... LOL! That would be a scenario I'd like to be a front-row spectator to! Even if they tax vaping like Penn is doing, the government(s) would lose a friggin' MOUNTAIN of money!

Already been done. The exhaled vapor contains only *traces* -- barely even measurable --of nicotine, and nothing else that would not be found in any other exhalation.

Andria

Already been done. The exhaled vapor contains only *traces* -- barely even measurable --of nicotine, and nothing else that would not be found in any other exhalation.

Andria

Hi AndiriaD - could you please give us a link or any other info to try and find that research? I can only find stuff about nano particles in smoking, and that just tells you what you would expect - nano particles increase around a lit cigarette/smoking above the "background measurement". And of course from automobiles going past. Just tells you that this is dangerous, not what its constituents are.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hi AndiriaD - could you please give us a link or any other info to try and find that research? I can only find stuff about nano particles in smoking, and that just tells you what you would expect - nano particles increase around a lit cigarette/smoking above the "background measurement". And of course from automobiles going past. Just tells you that this is dangerous, not what its constituents are.

Try this -- it's Dr Farsolinos' website.

http://www.ecigarette-research.org/research/index.php

Andria

VU Sponsors