Become a Patron!

fused Clapton mix of kanthal and nichrome?

kreller

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so i was going to make some fused clapton out of nichrome, but i was running low on nichrome, and i was wondering what would happen if i mixed nichrome and kanthal, more specifically a kanthal core and nichrome outside.

Mixer

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Lowers the resistance a bit vs a straight kanthol clapton. Kanthal is stiffer than nicrome so you would have a stronger coil. Makes re wicking easier. That is one of my favorite go to builds. Kanthal cores Nicrome wraps. So if your already using Nicrome go for it.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like nichrome because it last way longer. Since it doesn't rust I have fused Claptons I've used daily that are going strong after 2 months plus.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The Core is the only wire that plays a role in resistance of a coil, the outer wire doesnt change anything resistance wise. If you were to measure the resistance of the outer wire it would between 15. - 35. Ohms, it doesnt register on the devices we use as it is too high. I use Kanthal cores to keep my resistance at a sane level and I use Ni60/80 for outer wraps for coloring for pics and that about it.
What matters is the gauge of the outer wrap, the thicker the wire is, the more mass the wire has and the longer the ramp up time. I call this "The Heatsink Effect". If you use a wire thinner then 40g then there will be a much lower overall mass and that will lead to lower ramp up time. The best part of a thinner outer wrap is the webbing is still there so it has the same wicking properties that claptons are popular for.

2 x 22K/42N60 Fused Clapton being Wrapped:
Wrapping Fused Claptons.jpg

Last edited:

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The Core is the only wire that plays a role in resistance of a coil, the outer wire doesnt change anything resistance wise. If you were to measure the resistance of the outer wire it would between 15. - 35. Ohms, it doesnt register on the devices we use as it is too high. I use Kanthal cores to keep my resistance at a sane level and I use Ni60/80 for outer wraps for coloring for pics and that about it.
What matters is the gauge of the outer wrap, the thicker the wire is, the more mass the wire has and the longer the ramp up time. I call this "The Heatsink Effect". If you use a wire thinner then 40g then there will be a much lower overall mass and that will lead to lower ramp up time. The best part of a thinner outer wrap is the webbing is still there so it has the same wicking properties that claptons are popular for.

2 x 22K/42N60 Fused Clapton being Wrapped:
View attachment 39117
Hey @raymo2u! What's the easiest way to keep the core wires from twisting up when wrapping fused clapton? I can wrap just about any kind of coil but I have the hardest time with fused clapton!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey @raymo2u! What's the easiest way to keep the core wires from twisting up when wrapping fused clapton? I can wrap just about any kind of coil but I have the hardest time with fused clapton!
I used Swivels and fold a large length of wire and fish it through the swivels and them put the ends into the drill. Then I hold the wire spool about 6 inches straight down and let it spin between my fingers as it wraps. It almost wraps itself when doing it this way.
It may twist near the drill or the swivels but if you use 2ft of wire to start with (then fold it) you should have atleast 20 inches of Fused Clapton thats less then a half a twist.
GrimGreen has a pretty good video on the way I do it..

jsr27

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I used Swivels and fold a large length of wire and fish it through the swivels and them put the ends into the drill. Then I hold the wire spool about 6 inches straight down and let it spin between my fingers as it wraps. It almost wraps itself when doing it this way.
It may twist near the drill or the swivels but if you use 2ft of wire to start with (then fold it) you should have atleast 20 inches of Fused Clapton thats less then a half a twist.
GrimGreen has a pretty good video on the way I do it..
Thanks bud!

VU Sponsors