Gearbest customer data reportedly hacked.

Discussion in 'Vaping Related But Doesn't Fit In a Category' started by The Cromwell, Mar 15, 2019.

1. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
  2. Robert B

Robert B Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years

Blog Posts:
    https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/gearbest-hack/

It appears Gearbest has been wide open for hackers for a long time, (at least a year) and nothing has changed. Gearbest has been lying about their privacy policy, ie: encrypted data, which apparently isn't encrypted at all.

Not sure what good changing a password would do, if they can be breached at any time. Personally, I went into my account, changed all my info to bogus info, if that will do any good. I use paypal, so at least there is a financial firewall. Doesn't seem to be a way to delete your account. I just won't buy anything from them again.

edit...
    Here's another article from a year ago with Gearbest basically denying it had a data breech.
    https://www.androidauthority.com/gearbest-email-password-hack-leak-breach-825005

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    MrMeowgi and Pockets like this.
  3. lordmage

lordmage Joined The Crusade - it's PG/VG, not VG/PG!!! Staff Member Senior Moderator VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 4 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    in the interest of keeping info in one place i have merged these two topics one with redirect which will expire in a day.

i have also submitted a support gearbest support ticket citing the site in question and requesting my account be removed

The Cromwell likes this.
  4. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years

Blog Posts:
    One general rule I follow for ALL online purchases.
    I NEVER tell the site to remember my CC information.

PopcornSmell, Synphul and jinx'd like this.
  5. obijuan77

obijuan77 Bronze Contributor

Blog Posts:
    yet another reason to not shop from Gearbest. Stay far, far away!

6. Robert B

Blog Posts:
    I know it's difficult to find vape products that use Paypal, but with Gearbest, Paypal is a good financial info firewall

7. Synphul

Synphul Silver Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    Data breaches are getting to be a thing anywhere and everywhere. Neighbor of mine works at the local walmart in bfe, he said they just had an issue with skimmers in the store at the instore atm's. Nothing's safe. Back in the day when a bank card got compromised the bank acted surprised like seriously, that happened? Now they're like yep, happens all the time. Sending you a new card, account's been locked temporarily and standard protocol is in place. Just another day.

CaFF likes this.
  8. PopcornSmell

PopcornSmell New Member

Blog Posts:
    Definitely, agree with this. I also use PayPal only and avoid using CC with the sites I don't frequently shop. For stuff from china I mostly shop in aliexpress, too bad aliexpress doesn't allow PayPal.

9. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    have been buying lots of electronics components and such from Ali Express for the past few months.
    Never bought vape stuff from them.
    Fastech was my major Chinese vape source.
    Never had any problems with either of those outfits.

JuicyLucy and PopcornSmell like this.
  10. Robert B

Blog Posts:
    This was more than just a data breach. Evidently over a year ago, someone discovered Gearbest's database was open to the net. You could search for your personal info from google and GB's database could be seen. This was no average data breach, this is incompetence from Gearbest's IT department. Apparently not much has changed, as they still haven't implemented basic security protocols

The Cromwell likes this.