Become a Patron!

Geekvape Avocado

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Big ol' fan of the Avocado here. I use it more than my Griffins.

@JERUS - surprised you're stuffing cotton down into the tank itself. Personally, I've found the best way to wick was to trim the edges so that they barely fit and hold within the width of the hole I'm shoving it in. As in, no wick visible in the tanks from the sides - but pop the top and the tips are sitting flush in the holes, a little bit of open space on the inside of the holes on each hole. Never got a dry hit, never had any issues with it either way.

The whole 'having to remove the stopper block to refill the tank' issue was jarring, at first, coming from the Haze clone I absolutely fell in love with. I did not dig that, at first. Now, however, after getting used to it, I'm just seeing it as a minor inconvenience at worst. I won't disagree that the Haze has a better fill method, I don't contest that whatsoever. But unless I'm doing a dual vertical coil in it (one coil per feed hole) I simply don't find building on off-set holes to be very ... fun. Makes my coils look off-center (because they are) and at-best I can get a single coil to kinda-sorta sit in the middle if one of the legs is wonky. Avocado came in with that velocity-style deck and made my building dreams come true.

Totally agree with the grub nuts - same with the Griffin's - cheap. Strip City if you're not careful (that's why I've gone ahead and chunked two of them now, I know not my own strength sometimes).

Also, the Haze's off-center drip tip position didn't make it the magical "never spitback" device it was sold to me as, but it's still better than being in the center. I kinda wish that were an option with the Avocado, but oddly enough with the bigger mouthpiece I haven't gotten very much - definitely not enough to be notable.

I remember reading something someone 'round here said about how spitback was 99% your wicking and your airflow options as opposed to wattage - i.e. having a widebore drip tip somehow eliminated a ton of spitback. Just something that's stuck in my mind since reading it, because I don't seem to get very much spitback regardless of my wicking with this guy, and I think the widebore drip tip has something to do with that.

Anywho, good thread! Good piece, good vape, good times.

youre right- spitback is almost always improper wicking- either too much or too little.

Kemosabe

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes it was, but ended up in the trash, as still had connection problems with, got sick of messing with it.

go get it out of the trash! lol
all you need to do is remove the top gold nut- connection issues solved. at least for me and a group of others complaining about the same problem (FT forum).

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
go get it out of the trash! lol
all you need to do is remove the top gold nut- connection issues solved. at least for me and a group of others complaining about the same problem (FT forum).

That post is from June, so a bit late to get out of the trash now.

But have become a fanboy of the avocado nowadays, have around 10 of them now, some 22mm's and some 24mm's in silver and black, they are my favorite atty to use, simple to build and no leaking :)

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
youre right- spitback is almost always improper wicking- either too much or too little.
Yep. I'd put money on it almost every time. It's no different on the 24 - hell, I just rewicked mine today and had to pull it after an hour or so and try again with a little more attention. Funny how it changes things, went from crap to kickass in a couple twists, snips and tucks of some cotton.

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So glad I found this thread ! The 22 mm Avocado is by far my favorite atty (if you couldn't tell from my avatar lol ). I too had vacuum issues initially when I first started using it, but have since mastered wicking it. less is more is all I can say. I end up ripping of a small slice of wick off each end of the coil after I pull the wick through the coil, but enforce I poke em down in the hooes. I make sure there is a noticeable space for air flow to travel once the wicks are juiced. this is easy to do with some needle nose tweezer, or anything pokey honestly, once the wicks are saturated that is. Once is started using this technique, there is no longer any vacuum issues, and I solely run this bad boy in single coil mode with the ceramic block nowadays . it just allows for easier filling, less juice consumption, and the vape is still amazing. dense, warm clouds, and plenty of vapor. very impressed for a single coil. I have not yet purchased the 24 mm, and honestly I don't know if I will I think I might just wait for the new bottom airflow 24 to come out, as it looks dope ! anywho, cheers guys !

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I gotta say, I watched a tear down video for the newest version of the Avocado... I am not impressed with what GV has done with it. Over complicated something that was beautiful in its simplicity. I'm just going to stick to my regular old 24 and 22.

Lactone

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I gotta say, I watched a tear down video for the newest version of the Avocado... I am not impressed with what GV has done with it. Over complicated something that was beautiful in its simplicity. I'm just going to stick to my regular old 24 and 22.
Yeah, I saw a video on it too, but I heard that they are changing a few things on it before the final release, so I still have hope for it . I will wait until a final product is reviewed by one of my trusted you tubers before I make any type of final verdict on my decision to purchase.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will wait until a final product is reviewed by one of my trusted you tubers before I make any type of final verdict on my decision to purchase.
Only way to do it right there. Good deal, same here.

VU Sponsors