Become a Patron!

GeekVape Griffin 25 plus

speedman2049

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi there everyone!

So i've had the Griffin 25 plus for about a month now and always have wicking issues with it and wanted to see if others have had issues/recommendations/tips and general info to make it work great!

Now I've had many rebuildable tanks before in the past, so i do have some pretty good experience. I've had the kanger subtank rba, aspire triton rba, smok tfv4 tf-r2 dual rba (tricky to get wicking), mutation x v3, mutation x v4, wismec theorem and a smok tfrdta.

Now i've had this griffin for about 1 month, the issue i always run into is that on the first day after i wick it, it works great. Come the second day (after re-filling it and subsequent re-fills), it can't wick properly and my temp control starts severely limiting output to where my vapor is anemic or if on VW mode, starts dry hitting.

I always use cotton bacon v2 on all my builds, as for me, it's the most absorbent and quickest wicking, and most flavorful cotton i have ever tried and i know it's performance quite well. On this tank i've tried 3.5mm, 3mm and 2.5mm coils, all of them dual coil builds with ss316l 26g.

For cotton placement, i've seen multiple videos that show how they did it and that it works great for them, but again for me i seem to always have to replace the cotton the next day which is a pain. I've tried tucked long threads, short threads, stuffing in the juice holes, lightly covering them, minimal cotton with a tiny piece of cotton to control overflow, all with thick wicks, medium wicks and thin wicks. I can't figure it out.

The only thing i can think of is either the juice holes are too small for the tank or there is some weird pressurization issue going on in the tank.

Any suggestions, comments, general info or your own experiences are greatly welcome!

Thanks again!

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like it could be clogging up after you run certain amount through it it clogs up an dint Wick maybe to tight wicking or too high vg or sweetner in juices

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its bottom fed new Griff so place cotton on deck wick hole sn that's it no stuffing it down

speedman2049

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like it could be clogging up after you run certain amount through it it clogs up an dint Wick maybe to tight wicking or too high vg or sweetner in juices

Thanks for the reply!
I thought that too at first but clean wicks as i'm using a clear juice and 30/70vg juice.

I tried that too, only tucking the threads over the holes lightly but to no avail on the 2nd day of using it.

Do you have this tank as well and how is it working for you and what configuration do you have setup on it?

speedman2049

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also i do love the build quality of this tank and the size of the deck, lots of potential for big builds!

speedman2049

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One thing I read on that thread was that someone mentioned that they cut the wicks just where they touch the juice holes. That was on a regular Griffin 25 but I'm going to try that technique on my 25 plus and see how that works and report back on here!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try this for it works for me and works very well. I don't have the Griffin Plus but I do have the 22mm Griffin and the Crius Plus (Geek Vape got the deck and chamber design from the Crius) and it works for most all my RTA's.

1. Stuff the Cotton in the coil
  2. Comb out the cotton tails a bit to straighten the fibers a bit, you'll pull some cotton out an it thins out, that's what you want. Just a bit, don't go crazy
  3. With the ring in place the cotton in dry, don't pre juice. The tails of the cotton should be just a hair past the ring, close to being flush
  4. You should be able to place your cotton pick (or tip of tweezers) without much problem in the hole with the cotton
  5. Now you can juice and pre-fire

I've found that placing the cotton dry gives me much better results and no leaking or dry hits. Reason being is if you pre-juice which is popular to help the cotton stay put mat's it down. If you place the cotton dry then juice the cotton is fluffy, expands and all works well.

speedman2049

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try this for it works for me and works very well. I don't have the Griffin Plus but I do have the 22mm Griffin and the Crius Plus (Geek Vape got the deck and chamber design from the Crius) and it works for most all my RTA's.

2. Comb out the cotton tails a bit to straighten the fibers a bit, you'll pull some cotton out an it thins out, that's what you want. Just a bit, don't go crazy
  3. With the ring in place the cotton in dry, don't pre juice. The tails of the cotton should be just a hair past the ring, close to being flush
  4. You should be able to place your cotton pick (or tip of tweezers) without much problem in the hole with the cotton

I've found that placing the cotton dry gives me much better results and no leaking or dry hits. Reason being is if you pre-juice which is popular to help the cotton stay put mat's it down. If you place the cotton dry then juice the cotton is fluffy, expands and all works well.
Thanks for the tips!
I'll definitely take all of what you said into consideration and try and re wick with the tips that you guys have mentioned!

I'll let you guys know how or works out! I think with the things you guys mentioned that I have some things to try out!

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the tips!
I'll definitely take all of what you said into consideration and try and re wick with the tips that you guys have mentioned!

I'll let you guys know how or works out! I think with the things you guys mentioned that I have some things to try out!

Essentially the 25 and 25+ are wicked the exact same way. Comb out your cotton a little after you put it through the coils, cut it just long enough to fold down and touch the deck, juice it up, sculpt it and make it look all pretty, put your tank back on and done. How do your ohms look? Are they jumping around due to a loose lead with those shitty grubs that strip after the first install? Are you using enough wick in the coil, I make em a little tighter in the coil with cotton bacon. If all else fails run a piece of wire through your wick and into the juice hole and give it a wiggle. If none of that works I don't know what else it could be

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dip you pulse your coils during the wick change to be sure you didn't create any hot spots? What mod? Post a pic of everything, I'm sure someone will spot the problem rather quickly

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The new Griffin has a totally different deck its similar to Aromamizer with juice holes at bottom now , juice comes up through the deck , so best just laying wickings over the holes cut wick tails at an angle an just touching holes fluffed out to soak up juice an not allow flooding ,

speedman2049

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The new Griffin has a totally different deck its similar to Aromamizer with juice holes at bottom now , juice comes up through the deck , so best just laying wickings over the holes cut wick tails at an angle an just touching holes fluffed out to soak up juice an not allow flooding ,

Just re wicked it and so far so good, but the real test will be after 1 day and refilling it to see if it will still wick.

I'm attaching pics of my re wick I did right now, on a dual coil 2.5mm ss316l 26g using 30/70vg juice.

Ohms look good, spaced coil that was pulsed and heats up evenly on both coils.
e27a7bcc10ca02e8ae2f6086c7eea80f.jpg
e62223c267a6c1ed51038872ca73aa7b.jpg
a83ff12a8218f56b7fb320e402f9ecc1.jpg
90f0780242c4b3419b69b2660daac34d.jpg

speedman2049

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Forgot to mention that I'm using a Smok G-Priv (mind the pics as I just used a istick 50w to mount my deck and wick).
Thanks for the replies and help!

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Forgot to mention that I'm using a Smok G-Priv (mind the pics as I just used a istick 50w to mount my deck and wick).
Thanks for the replies and help!

How, after you pulsed your coils to check for hot spots, did they get gunked up with a bunch of black shit before the wick got juiced?

speedman2049

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How, after you pulsed your coils to check for hot spots, did they get gunked up with a bunch of black shit before the wick got juiced?
Ya sorry, I forgot to mention that these coils were made about 4 days ago. They might have a bit of gunk build up from yesterday's use as I didn't dry burn them again before re wicking this morning. Usually I do it before a re wick to have them all clean but there was minimal junk, just the surface was lightly coated and looked clean enough for about 1 weeks use or of them!

So far they're working great!

Last edited:

speedman2049

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just a quick update on this, so far day 2 and it's working great! Just a little tiny bit of leakage but I adjusted my juice flow control to 1/4 open and it's been good!
I guess the trick really is to cut the legs of the wicks to where they just touch the juice flow holes (making sure that the ends of the wicks were fluffed), no tucking the wicks over the holes, no stuffing any cotton, just have the wicks precisely cut to where they just touch the juice flow holes.

I don't know what this wicking technique would be called but I'm calling it the waterfall wicking technique lol!

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just a quick update on this, so far day 2 and it's working great! Just a little tiny bit of leakage but I adjusted my juice flow control to 1/4 open and it's been good!
I guess the trick really is to cut the legs of the wicks to where they just touch the juice flow holes (making sure that the ends of the wicks were fluffed), no tucking the wicks over the holes, no stuffing any cotton, just have the wicks precisely cut to where they just touch the juice flow holes.

I don't know what this wicking technique would be called but I'm calling it the waterfall wicking technique lol!

Yep, same as all the Griffins, works every time

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
a9dbcfe073bdc2b2d57a55de07a0d2ee.jpg

This is new Griffin deck an thus is why say juice holes tje old version is juice channel not holes , the above pic is a bottom fed deck not side fed like the version you have , no channels this is like a Supreme style deck or a Boreas style deck where the juice enters below the deck , to feed the wicks which are just laid above the the holes to soak up the juice an feed the coils , this is a much better wicking methods of decks ,

jbone6977

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

This is new Griffin deck an thus is why say juice holes tje old version is juice channel not holes , the above pic is a bottom fed deck not side fed like the version you have , no channels this is like a Supreme style deck or a Boreas style deck where the juice enters below the deck , to feed the wicks which are just laid above the the holes to soak up the juice an feed the coils , this is a much better wicking methods of decks ,

The griffin 22 is wicked by cutting your wick to reach the deck, fluff, tuck and cover holes, juice, install tank, exact same as the Griffin 25, exact same for the 25+, exact same for the supreme. If you use too much wick on any of them you get muted flavor, too little and they flood, pack the cotton and they don't wick, the process is the same for all of them.

speedman2049

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The griffin 22 is wicked by cutting your wick to reach the deck, fluff, tuck and cover holes, juice, install tank, exact same as the Griffin 25, exact same for the 25+, exact same for the supreme. If you use too much wick on any of them you get muted flavor, too little and they flood, pack the cotton and they don't wick, the process is the same for all of them.
I think the issue I was having was tucking the leads over the holes. That never worked for me with all the variations of cotton thickness I tried and I always fluff the ends too, but with cutting them precisely where the leads just touch the holes (fluffed like always of coarse) it seems to be doing a pretty good job so far!

Thanks for all the info and tips as it's working great so far!

Bigjay1978

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've had mine (25 +) for about three weeks now. I've never had even a hint of leakage, but the first couple wicking attempts gave me some dry hits. I was using way to much cotton. Now I just hold the scissors against the Airflow ring and cut cotton there. Has been flawless since then. This was my first rebuildable, and it has been a complete joy to vape. Hope you figured it out.

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That's the 25 mini deck and it's totally different than the 25 plus. The 25+ has that same design as the sense Herekles v2 where there's a giant slot beside each post where you lay your wicks. The juice holes at the bottom are the only difference between the two. I don't have the 25+ but I do have a 25 mini and they should have a done away with those tiny ass juice flow holes. If it had a open slot like the sense tank there would be no issue. I really kicked myself in the ass for not buying the sense rta2 and I'm still thinking of getting one anyways. Only reason I didn't was because I like geekvape products

Last edited:

ben73

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's the 25 mini deck and it's totally different than the 25 plus. The 25+ has that same design as the sense Herekles v2 where there's a giant slot beside each post where you pay your wicks. The juice holes at the bottom are the only difference between the two. I don't have the 25+ but I do have a 25 mini and they should have a done away with those tiny ass juice flow holes. If it had a open slot like the sense tank there would be no issue. I really kicked myself in the ass for not buying the sense rta2 and I'm still thinking of getting one anyways. Only reason I didn't was because I like geekvape products
Iknow read what i said , its the new version not the old version , theres a 22 and a 25 plus are both old version , i did say this above , I had the 25 plus old version its not new mini is new ,
So i know which deck it has , plz read the post i made , Thank you ,

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Iknow read what i said , its the new version not the old version , theres a 22 and a 25 plus are both old version , i did say this above , I had the 25 plus old version its not new mini is new ,
So i know which deck it has , plz read the post i made , Thank you ,

Hey I wasn't trying to tick you off man. I read your post, then I went back and read it twice more and I'm not clear on what you were trying to say. I have every version of the griffin except the plus so I was pointing out that the photo is not the decks everyone on here is talking about. There was a griffin 22, then came the 25. Neither of those were plus versions. The 25 mini came next, and then the plus came out last so the 25+ is the latest deck design for the griffin series. I'm a bit of a geekvape "geek" and own a whole shit ton of geekvape stuff so basically I was clearing up to anyone reading that the deck is from the mini and not the plus. Its not very clear on your post. My bad

Last edited:

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My reply was about the 25 plus.
Heck yea man I read that loud and clear! I ended up getting the mini and they released the 25+ a week later and I couldn't believe it. Im glad your having a good first rta experience. They can be a real pain in the ass to wick but thankfully the new ones coming out are getting easier I think. That's awesome that you haven't had any leaking from it. Its a real disappointment when you see juice all over your mod and the tank empty. Happy vaping bro!

Bigjay1978

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks, you as well! YouTube has definitely been my friend. I must have watched hundreds of videos on rda's, and rta's before I decided on 2 new tanks. I just got the ammit yesterday. Again, no leaks, but I'm slow backing off the cotton as I don't have a ton of flavor yet it was pretty good last nigjt, but there's definitely room for improvement. I was so sick of replacing coils every 4 days or so. I bought a demon killer variety pack and have been experimenting with the different coils. Have a merry Christmas, if you do that!

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks, you as well! YouTube has definitely been my friend. I must have watched hundreds of videos on rda's, and rta's before I decided on 2 new tanks. I just got the ammit yesterday. Again, no leaks, but I'm slow backing off the cotton as I don't have a ton of flavor yet it was pretty good last nigjt, but there's definitely room for improvement. I was so sick of replacing coils every 4 days or so. I bought a demon killer variety pack and have been experimenting with the different coils. Have a merry Christmas, if you do that!
Merry Christmas to you as well! Let me know what you think of those demon killer coils man. I seen those at efun.top and from the pics they look really nice. A buddy of mine bought the ammit and he loves that damn tank! That airflow is magical looking. Most single coil rta's have restricted airflow in my experience and the ammit fixes the problem it looks like. I hear ya on the replacing coils problem. It sucks to spend anywhere from 3-6 bucks on a coil head for a tank and then it not work, or gurgle, or taste burnt cause those replacements can't really be fixed. I got into rta's for the same reason you did. Its so much better to be in control of your coil instead of hoping the manufacturer has good QC. And it's cheaper!

Bigjay1978

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
All have been good, except the. 85 Ohm Clapton's. Those are just not my up a tea. And I guess they come with alien Claptons but they aren't aliens. Just a dual core fused Clapton.

SignMan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All have been good, except the. 85 Ohm Clapton's. Those are just not my up a tea. And I guess they come with alien Claptons but they aren't aliens. Just a dual core fused Clapton.
That figures. I couldn't even imagine how a company could mass produce aliens cause they are so damn finicky. They shouldn't even label them as aliens if they're not even close!

Bigjay1978

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It wasn't a deal-breaker for me as there were lots of coils to choose from. All have been performing great so far my favorite is the hive coil I have a dual hive coil setup in my Griffin and I bought an actual alien Clapton From geekvape and I'm running that in my ammit. it is fantastic.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Ah so they've come out with a new deck for the 25mm Griffin? I've helped a few people out on their Griffin 25's and it's the same style as the 22mm.

Just a thing wanted to ask about ..

Have read-Somewhere that the VG/PG ratio could be "something" to do with the 25+ Leaking issue ..
Guess those talks were about if the liquid is Kinda "thin" the 25+ will leak no matters of what..
been using 70/30 for almost off my liquids .. and getting leaks, leaks, damn leaks..

Any Hope before Changing the *all* the O-Rings .. ??

Cheers..

Bigjay1978

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just a thing wanted to ask about ..

Have read-Somewhere that the VG/PG ratio could be "something" to do with the 25+ Leaking issue ..
Guess those talks were about if the liquid is Kinda "thin" the 25+ will leak no matters of what..
been using 70/30 for almost off my liquids .. and getting leaks, leaks, damn leaks..

Any Hope before Changing the *all* the O-Rings .. ??

Cheers..
It's hard for me to understand why so many have leaking issues with this tank. I am a novice in the vape world. The Griffin plus is my first non subohm tank and I have to try to make this thing leak. I just got the ammit, and same thing. I've rewickings and changed coils dozens of times and it is yet to leak. I have gotten a small bit of seepage around the Airflow ring if I fill and forget to close the Airflow. The ammit has been the same way so far. I wish I could help those with the issues more, but I don't have any experience with either tanks leaking. In fairness I do use higher vg liquid. 70 vg, 30 pg and 80 20 is what I use.

kargurin

Member For 4 Years
Just ordered one from eciggity and should arrive by end of the week. Reminds me a bit of the Ammit except its dual coil and there appears to be deeper feeding channels which should help with the high VG liquids. Something that I've found the Ammit sometimes struggles with. Never get leakage unless there is something wrong with the tank. I like simple spaced coils, kanthal or SS so I don't expect there to be wick feeding issues that you might get from bigger more elaborate coils. Look forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Johnnytraveler

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's hard for me to understand why so many have leaking issues with this tank. I am a novice in the vape world. The Griffin plus is my first non subohm tank and I have to try to make this thing leak. I just got the ammit, and same thing. I've rewickings and changed coils dozens of times and it is yet to leak. I have gotten a small bit of seepage around the Airflow ring if I fill and forget to close the Airflow. The ammit has been the same way so far. I wish I could help those with the issues more, but I don't have any experience with either tanks leaking. In fairness I do use higher vg liquid. 70 vg, 30 pg and 80 20 is what I use.

Mine never leaks too. And I never close the jc or bottom af ring on my Griffin when I refill.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.

Atrumitos

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It leaks because the lower o-ring on the top cap is crap. Mine was cut. I changed it using the spares and that one got cut too. I found one from another rta. I think it was from the Aqua v2... not sure.

VU Sponsors