Become a Patron!

General RTA question...

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Is it just me, or do RTAs suck up juice really quick?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Depends on build, power levels and vaping style...RDA's are the same way...some RTA's like the Griffin are more like RDA's that always have juice flow...,

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u Just got the Diablo RTA in today and I went threw the first 2.5 ml so quick.... Even my aromamizer sucks up the juice. Maybe I don't realize how much juice I go threw when I'm dripping but it feels like I'm using more in the RTA... Weird.

I'm vaping .4ohm simple 24awg 10 wrap 3mm in the Diablo.

I had actually made my first set of fused claptons, 2x 24awg 32awg 6 wraps on a 3mm, earlier today for when the Diablo got here but then it came and the claptons where to big....
-_-; I had no time to make new Clapton wire so I just threw the 24awg in it

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Quick question about wicking the Diablo.... Is it better to have the wick right above the juice wells, like the aromamizer, or should they be tucked down in the well?

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have them half way down in the juice channels, or almost all the way down and its wicking perfectly with no leaking. But I have the clone, which has much wider juice channels than the original.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@psychedelicbiscut I too have the clone... The 2.5ml version. I wicked with cotton and puffed up the ends of the wick (like the Scottish Roll), wet it, repuffed. And now have them sitting above the channels like 2 wet balls. Been wicking nice and quick, keeping up with chain vape (i had a semi-dry hit when I had them in the channels) and the only time it leaked was when I filled it. I just got the Diablo today so I'm not to sure If I'm supposed to close the air holes when you refill it, maybe the sealing pressure pushed the juice up into the chamber...

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Big coils and higher power= thirsty. Running higher resistance coils (>1ohm) and lower power will help a little. I'd also suggest looking into making your own juice if consumption and/ or cost is a problem. I've never done the math, but I'm guessing it costs me about $5 to make 180ml.

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@psychedelicbiscut I too have the clone... The 2.5ml version. I wicked with cotton and puffed up the ends of the wick (like the Scottish Roll), wet it, repuffed. And now have them sitting above the channels like 2 wet balls. Been wicking nice and quick, keeping up with chain vape (i had a semi-dry hit when I had them in the channels) and the only time it leaked was when I filled it. I just got the Diablo today so I'm not to sure If I'm supposed to close the air holes when you refill it, maybe the sealing pressure pushed the juice up into the chamber...

I had major leaking issues with mine and it doesnt even have airflow control. Putting some cotton in the juice channels, using a big ass coil (wide) and
not filling it up completely helped a lot. If you leave a bit of air in the tank, the air will be compressed when closing the topfill, if there is no air then the juice will be pressed into the deck and it will leak. Also closing the airflow-control helps (if you have one).

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@Flightmedic76 I've been making my own juice for over 4 years (have a juice line in local shops). It wasn't a matter of saving juice, I was just curious if I was actually using more in the RTA. Turns out I'm using about the same, it just felt like I was burning threw more because I actually saw the tank get lower and lower as I Vaped... You don't really pay to much attention when your just dripping

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u Just got the Diablo RTA in today and I went threw the first 2.5 ml so quick.... Even my aromamizer sucks up the juice. Maybe I don't realize how much juice I go threw when I'm dripping but it feels like I'm using more in the RTA... Weird.

I'm vaping .4ohm simple 24awg 10 wrap 3mm in the Diablo.

I had actually made my first set of fused claptons, 2x 24awg 32awg 6 wraps on a 3mm, earlier today for when the Diablo got here but then it came and the claptons where to big....
-_-; I had no time to make new Clapton wire so I just threw the 24awg in it

2.5ml is a very small amount of juice man, I blow through 5ml in about 10 minutes so I cant imagine filling 2.5ml twice as much lol

I just did my preview on the Diablo lastr night if you want to check it out:
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/my-new-griffin-rta-vs-crius.177130/page-15#post-957480

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u wanna give me the names of a few rda that have mucho space for nice builds?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Velocity, Stro Mini V1, Baal V3, Twisted Messes, 13 Heavens 9 hells, Phenotype L.

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Petri has decent space.
I wasnt enjoying it at first but finally got a build i enjoy on it. Kind of a pita to work with imo but once ya get it its pretty sweet.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Twisted Messes will take some pretty gnarly coils, and the airflow is great. I'm still a fan of my Velocity for the ease of building, but the post holes are not the biggest, so you may be a bit more limited.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah I def want the twisted messes...

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@ej1024 @raymo2u
About to Clapton up some wire but I figured I'd ask u guys which setup you found worked best with the Diablo? I was going to do fused 26 or 24 with a 32 wrap on a 2.5mm id... . I previously tried 2x 24 with 32 wrap on a 3mm id but they didn't fit (I was aiming for .2ohm or above)

What do ya think?

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@ej1024 @raymo2u
About to Clapton up some wire but I figured I'd ask u guys which setup you found worked best with the Diablo? I was going to do fused 26 or 24 with a 32 wrap on a 2.5mm id... . I previously tried 2x 24 with 32 wrap on a 3mm id but they didn't fit (I was aiming for .2ohm or above)

What do ya think?

Don't have the Diablo bro, thanks for the mentioned

Vape On

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@ej1024 @raymo2u

What do ya think?

Try 2x26/36g or 38g Outer Wraps (5 Wraps/2.5mm ID). Should be around .22 Ohms.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Try 2x26/36g or 38g Outer Wraps (5 Wraps/2.5mm ID). Should be around .22 Ohms.
Just 5 wraps? I'm at .22Ω on that build (40g outer wrap though) and using 8 wraps.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u All my higher awg wire is jammed up with usps (>_<). Highest I have on hand was 32 so I went with the 2x 26 wrapped in 32. About to wrap it 2.5id . You think 6 wraps will fit it?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@JERUS 8 wraps in the Diablo?

Naw it's in my Avocado right now, just thought it was weird that he'd be getting the same resistance with 5 wraps that I am with 8. I figured that would be a good bit less than .2Ω

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nice.... I'm in between jobs right now so I'm sticking with clones lol. Don't wanna go broke

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@raymo2u All my higher awg wire is jammed up with usps (>_<). Highest I have on hand was 32 so I went with the 2x 26 wrapped in 32. About to wrap it 2.5id . You think 6 wraps will fit it?

You can do it with 32, though you'll likely have some ramp up. Just parallel works well too.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Fused 26Ka1/32Ka1 Clapton - 6 wraps - 2.5mm ID - .2Ω

a561959326daa0bfa31171a090cb4278.jpg

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You can do it with 32, though you'll likely have some ramp up. Just parallel works well too.
O this was before my wire came in...Im all set now...:D
20160217_141723.jpg

I actually built something similar this morning for the Noisy Cricket/Velocity RDA.
2 x 26K/38N80 Fused Claptons:
20160221_132414.jpg 20160221_132319.jpg 20160221_132335.jpg 20160221_132445.jpg

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u super clean. And yeah I ran out of wire... Up until about 2 weeks ago I haven't bought anything related to vaping in a very long time (Last thing was the Big Dripper....v1 lol). There just wasn't anything dropping around that time that was worth buying.... Every rda was exactly the same just different names, RTAs had absolutely no air flow, etc, etc... So I lost interest in it and stuck with the drippers I had and a spool of 24&28 awg making regular ol macro coils.... I also have my own juice line (local and now currently under major "construction") so I never really had to go to vape shops or shop online for anything, so I didn't realize how much the new vaping hardware changed. Few weeks ago I decided I needed a new dripper and much to my surprise I was baffled by the selections... Now Fast forward 1 succubus 1 Hellboy 1 aromamizer 1 Diablo RTA AND 2000' OF kanthal later, I'm hooked again. So yeah I'm playing catch up lol. I'm starting to get the hang of making Claptons (still much work to be done in this area still, but I can pull them off) and hopefully soon I can step it up to aliens and staggered wire etc..

Just want to say again, big thanks to everyone for all the help. Especially @raymo2u and @ej1024 , your input really had helped me out.

Last edited:

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@ej1024 worked out good... I got some of my higher awg wire in the mail today so I'm gonna go for some 2x 26g/34 wrap see if it workes out better

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
My 38awg should be here Tom. That's the one I'm really itching to work with....

You think it's easier claptoning with higher or lower awg?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Same wire is here, 2 x 26g/38g Fused Claptons:
20160221_132414.jpg

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Thicker wire is definitely easier to work with. But, smaller wire is totally worth the effort. It's mainly just needing tighter wraps and having to do more of them for the same length of wire.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love how clean the thinner wire looks wrapped up

Once you get above 44g you can barely see the outerwrap, even camera's have a hard time and in the 48g-54g range even macro lenses start having trouble picking it out.
This is 26g/50g Fused Clapton and the Penny is there to show you how much detail the camera is picking up but you still cant see the outer wrap...
This makes it act like a True Parallel Build but still keeps the wicking properties that Claptons are popular for.
26K 50N60 Fused Clapton Wire.jpg26K 50N60 Fused Clapton Wire .jpg

This is my new "Clean Build for today" I think I may make another for the Diablo Mini for SS TC Mode...
20160222_132542.jpg 20160222_132616.jpg

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Once you get above 44g you can barely see the outerwrap, even camera's have a hard time and in the 48g-54g range even macro lenses start having trouble picking it out.
This is 26g/50g Fused Clapton and the Penny is there to show you how much detail the camera is picking up but you still cant see the outer wrap...
This makes it act like a True Parallel Build but still keeps the wicking properties that Claptons are popular for.
View attachment 41815View attachment 41818

This is my new "Clean Build for today" I think I may make another for the Diablo Mini for SS TC Mode...
View attachment 41816 View attachment 41817
What is that build on?

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
And I'm still trying to figure out which way is easiest for me when wrapping Claptons.... I tried the swivel method and holding the spool straight back while wrapping but for some reason it just didn't really work out the way I see it in some of the tutorials.... I tried doing it where I'm pinching the lower awg and core wire together with my thumb and index finger and it seems to work better... Got any tips for me?

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I also gotta get better swivels because the wire keeps twisting when I use them

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What is that build on?

Mutation X4

And I'm still trying to figure out which way is easiest for me when wrapping Claptons.... I tried the swivel method and holding the spool straight back while wrapping but for some reason it just didn't really work out the way I s onlyee it in some of the tutorials.... I tried doing it where I'm pinching the lower awg and core wire together with my thumb and index finger and it seems to work better... Got any tips for me?

I hold the spool by the middle and have it held atleast 6 inches away and slightly behind where it being wrapped. This keeps the wrap tight and make sure you have a bit of resistance on the spool while its spinning. The Swivel method works better for thinner outer wrap, then pinch method works better for 34g and lower outer wrap.

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I just finished the fused 26g/34g... Very slight twist in the core wires but I think it still came out decent...

852cbe5e40941fcb5010151ad6abaa2a.jpg

VU Sponsors