Become a Patron!

Getting burnt taste/smell after changing coils

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new to vaping (it's been only a month or so) and also to this forum.

But still, I did my research before getting into this stuff and have average knowledge on what to do/not to. I have a Pico mod + Melo 3 mini. 3 days ago, I wanted to change my coil but I couldn't because I guess the last time I changed my coil I screwed base too tight. Then I bought some rubber gloves and finally managed to unscrew them and change my coil, yesterday. It was all fine and dandy till this evening, suddenly for no reason, I started getting a burnt taste and smell I couldn't stand vaping. I changed 3 coils after that (RIP money). After that I found out my juice might be due so my last coil I used another juice for that coil. Even though I primed all of them nicely and then waited for them to soak that juice, it's still inhaleable.

Every help will be much appreciated!

DailyTrees

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Hmm. There's a lot of factors that could play a role in a burnt taste. What ohms does your device read and how many watts are you running it at? Whats the viscosity/mixture of the e-liquid that you are using? Are you screwing your coil down all the way properly? (small things such as that can make a difference) Do you chain vape or do you take breaks in-between puffing on your vape. Have you tried taking dry hits to let juice get to the coil quicker?

On the coil itself, it says 0.3 ohm but every coil I put in, gave me different numbers like 0.25,0.26,0.28. Usually I start up at 20 watts when I have just changed the coil. Then I make my way up to 50W which is my favourite watt. My liquid is %75-25 vg-pg rated. I'm sure it's screwed down properly. When I started vaping, I used to chain vape a lot but now, I try to give breaks between puffs.

DailyTrees

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Coils tend to do that, they'll read slightly above or below what they are "labeled" as. And this is not a fact that I know of so don't quote me on it but i'm pretty sure that running 20 watts with a 75/25 VG/PG mixture is not enough power to fully vape the thick VG. I've found with personal experience when I try to vape low wattage's such as that with more of a thicker juice that the result is not pretty and you can get a weird taste off it. As for running it at 50 watts that sounds like that's what the sweet spot would be for a .3 Ohm coil. What voltage do you get when you have it up to 50 watts? And I know you said you prime your coils good but I would fill the tank up with juice and let it sit for a good 10 minutes before using it. Take a couple dry pulls from it (take a puff without holding down the fire button)

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
There is always the possibility that you purchased a bad batch of coils.

The voltage tends to be around 3.5-3.7V when it's at 50W. I always prime my coil then fill the tank and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. Quality of coils might be a question of suspect though. I'll see if anything changes with a new set coils then.

DailyTrees

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah make sure you purchase your coils from a trusted vendor! And that voltage range is right around where you wanna be but yeah see how it works with new coils good luck.

VU Sponsors