heinz.abednego

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Gi2
Vaporshark dna30
Sigelei 100w (hmm not really a big fan of huge boxes)

I was really looking at vaporshark dna30 but 30 day wait :/ should I wait ?
Gi2 was my second choice
Sigelei 100w was ehh

Btw fasttech order takes three weeks so put that in consideration also
Anyone has any thoughts on the gi2 or anything considering what is the best vw mod to get out there during now until January 2015 ? Should we wait and see if something new will come ? Or vaporshark 30 all the way ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sigelei 100 is a solid box it's buil like a tank. I love mine and haven't heard anyone saying something has gone bad and has amazing battery life.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I ordered my VS DNA 30 ( before their big price drop ) they had posted a 10-15 day wait... I placed the order 10-31 and it still shipped 11-3 .... I'm sure, since they increased the ETA to ship time to 30 days it's for good reason... but I still suspect it's a pessimistic estimate just to play it safe.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me too, ordered Mon. got it Thur. Battery life sucks though.

If you are running low ohm coils... I could see that since you'd be pulling a lot of amps. Otherwise it may be the battery itself. My Vaporshark DNA 30 only has 1300mah but I can go through over 4-6ml ( probably more, I'm being pessimistic ) of juice with my 1.5 ohm coils.

heinz.abednego

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Rdsok did u pay $139 for your vs and is yours without the battery upgrade, and how do you like it as oppose to like big sized box mods like Sigelei I mean you're sacrificing battery life for size but it is still an American made product which I totally would spend the extra $50 for even though it's not as powerful

heinz.abednego

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Sigelei 100w plus in champGne and gold is super nice though plus it comes with a rubbery case already :/ $108 fasttech

heinz.abednego

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also maybe I think the 40 day wait is for rdna40 devices only .. Oh man the choices :/ and the temptation I can't just have one but I can only have one ahh

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rdsok did u pay $139 for your vs and is yours without the battery upgrade, and how do you like it as oppose to like big sized box mods like Sigelei I mean you're sacrificing battery life for size but it is still an American made product which I totally would spend the extra $50 for even though it's not as powerful

I got mine just after they had dropped to $120 ( I think they were previously $160ish and are now $100.... Also remember I have the VS DNA 30... not the rDNA which is just slightly bigger and has replaceable batteries. There was no battery upgrade for mine... it has 1300mah which is bigger than they originally had which was only 1200mah.

Mine is just over a pinky finger shorter than the width of my palm... for that reason, and not the battery... I wish I'd gotten the slightly taller rDNA version instead. Of course, that makes mine a little more stealthy which is why I selected it over the rDNA... I now know I'd prefer a slightly bigger size... but not as big as the Sigelei or similar mods.... I've had enough of the larger size mods for now.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think there's a wait on them now, got mine during the sale as well.

IMG_2439_zps39b02a0d.jpg

scartn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you are running low ohm coils... I could see that since you'd be pulling a lot of amps. Otherwise it may be the battery itself. My Vaporshark DNA 30 only has 1300mah but I can go through over 4-6ml ( probably more, I'm being pessimistic ) of juice with my 1.5 ohm coils.

I think it's the battery. .5 ohm atlantis. I will change batteries and see. Sony battery in the sx mini last more than 4 times as long with same tank at 25w.

scartn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I got mine just after they had dropped to $120 ( I think they were previously $160ish and are now $100.... Also remember I have the VS DNA 30... not the rDNA which is just slightly bigger and has replaceable batteries. There was no battery upgrade for mine... it has 1300mah which is bigger than they originally had which was only 1200mah.

Mine is just over a pinky finger shorter than the width of my palm... for that reason, and not the battery... I wish I'd gotten the slightly taller rDNA version instead. Of course, that makes mine a little more stealthy which is why I selected it over the rDNA... I now know I'd prefer a slightly bigger size... but not as big as the Sigelei or similar mods.... I've had enough of the larger size mods for now.

I love the VS DNA size. I paid $169 for the DNA 20 a year ago and it is still going. I have 4, two 20's and 2 30's. With the price drop the DNA is a fair deal on a high quality China made mod.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really have enjoyed my VS DNA 30

It is funny that a cheap little 30.00 i leaf istick will last longer than the DNA 30 with 1 ohm and above coils though.

Of course I realize that's apples and oranges....... Just sayin :)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Can't personally imagine getting something that doesn't have a replaceable battery. Stainless 510 threads and adjustable or spring loaded positive pin are also a personal requirement. What types of atty's you plan on running with the new box?

Edit: the istick is junk.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it's the battery. .5 ohm atlantis. I will change batteries and see. Sony battery in the sx mini last more than 4 times as long with same tank at 25w.

Running a 0.5Ω coil at 25w ends up being just over 7a .... Even that Sony VT5 won't last long pulling those kind of amps.

Using a regulated mod like we have now... we really don't need 0.5Ω coils to get what we want. What we need are higher ohm coils with the surface area and wicks that those sub-ohm bring to the table. If we had that, so would could crank the volts up... a 1.5Ω ( picked because I mentioned it before ) would only draw a bit over 4a at the same 25w and last about 1.75x longer

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Running a 0.5Ω coil at 25w ends up being just over 7a .... Even that Sony VT5 won't last long pulling those kind of amps.

Using a regulated mod like we have now... we really don't need 0.5Ω coils to get what we want. What we need are higher ohm coils with the surface area and wicks that those sub-ohm bring to the table. If we had that, so would could crank the volts up... a 1.5Ω ( picked because I mentioned it before ) would only draw a bit over 4a at the same 25w and last about 1.75x longer
On a regulated mod the ohm at the Atty doesn't matter the amp drain at the battery is the same at .5 or at 1.5 ohms that's the beauty of boards. The wattage you have it set at is the only factor really. 25 watts is 25 watts no matter what the ohm is. With a chip with a 95% efficiency its gonna drain 6.2 amps at the battery.

With a vtc5 he should get about 253 5 second pulls according to steam engine on a regulated device with that battery

scartn

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
1.5 is what I use on the VS DNA. 1,3 - 1.5 is also what I use in my russians. The atlantis only has .5 coils for now and so far I really like everything about this tank. Haven't touched a russian since it came in.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
How airy is the draw? Can you.compare it to something like a orchid?

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a regulated mod the ohm at the Atty doesn't matter the amp drain at the battery is the same at .5 or at 1.5 ohms that's the beauty of boards. The wattage you have it set at is the only factor really. 25 watts is 25 watts no matter what the ohm is. With a chip with a 95% efficiency its gonna drain 6.2 amps at the battery.

With a vtc5 he should get about 253 5 second pulls according to steam engine on a regulated device with that battery

Actually that is incorrect... The regulation does convert amps/volts back and forth and sends it to the coil... You can't get something for nothing... you can only change how that amperage/voltage is delivered. The equation must always stay balanced on both sides and since the voltage of the battery is a set amount ( the remaining voltage of the battery which drops as it is used up )... the amperage must be the one that changes on the battery side.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the clarification I'm just going to go with its magic lol

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With a big power variable device, wire gauge and coil geometry matter. Resistance really doesn't. With the ability to control the applied voltage, you build the coil(s) to the size and shape you want, control the amount of metal you're heating with wire gauge, then adjust the power you apply to it to get the performance you want. Being able to control both power variables instead of only one of them while having a large range of available power changes everything high power users can do. Unfortunately, some of the long time mech users still don't get it.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The resistance does matter ... but only in how much current is being drawn to reach a certain power output. You can get the same power with any resistance load you have given enough power/voltage to reach that number. And of course... there is still the time it takes to reach the temperature you want also... with lower gauge wire ( lower number ) taking longer to reach a certain temp.

I can't blame the mech users much ( that aren't familiar with these things like ohms law etc )... they've had low/sub ohms drill into them without being told what or why.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm going to hook up my ammeter soon and I'll report back the numbers I really wanna know exactly what it's doing.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The resistance does matter ... but only in how much current is being drawn to reach a certain power output. You can get the same power with any resistance load you have given enough power/voltage to reach that number. And of course... there is still the time it takes to reach the temperature you want also... with lower gauge wire ( lower number ) taking longer to reach a certain temp.

I can't blame the mech users much ( that aren't familiar with these things like ohms law etc )... they've had low/sub ohms drill into them without being told what or why.
That's what I just said.
Also, go to steam engine to the battery drain section. Changing watt setting affects battery run time. Keep the watt setting the same and put in several different ohm values. Runtime doesn't change. You're wrong.

Last edited:

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was only trying to say the current at 25 watts is the same at the (battery) not the atty is the same no matter the ohms. The battery voltage cannot change but the current will go up as the voltage is falling to keep up the wattage.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm going to hook up my ammeter soon and I'll report back the numbers I really wanna know exactly what it's doing.

Not sure I can explain it as well as you seeing it on the meter... but... here it goes.

For a certain load/power at the coil ... let's arbitrarily pick 1Ω @ 10w ... 3.162v with a 3.162 amp load.

At the battery, you'll see the remaining voltage of the battery, initially on a fresh battery at 4.2v with 2.381a of current. Remember, the wattage is constant in this example. As the battery drops it's voltage... when it reaches 3.7v there will be 2.703a of current drawn.

Now... let's increase the power on the same coil... say 15w. That means the coils see's 3.873v and 3.873a of current drawn.

At the battery... at the original 4.2v level ( fresh battery again )... it's current drain is 3.571a. At the 3.7v level it's current increases to 4.054a in order to maintain the 15w output at the coil.

So if you were to graph it for the battery side... you'd see the voltage drop as the battery drains and the current ( amperage ) increase in order to maintain the same power level at the coil. If you increase the load ( lower resistance on the coil or higher wattage output )... the battery can only deliver it's remaining voltage but to keep up... it's current drain must increase.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not sure I can explain it as well as you seeing it on the meter... but... here it goes.

For a certain load/power at the coil ... let's arbitrarily pick 1Ω @ 10w ... 3.162v with a 3.162 amp load.

At the battery, you'll see the remaining voltage of the battery, initially on a fresh battery at 4.2v with 2.381a of current. Remember, the wattage is constant in this example. As the battery drops it's voltage... when it reaches 3.7v there will be 2.703a of current drawn.

Now... let's increase the power on the same coil... say 15w. That means the coils see's 3.873v and 3.873a of current drawn.

At the battery... at the original 4.2v level ( fresh battery again )... it's current drain is 3.571a. At the 3.7v level it's current increases to 4.054a in order to maintain the 15w output at the coil.

So if you were to graph it for the battery side... you'd see the voltage drop as the battery drains and the current ( amperage ) increase in order to maintain the same power level at the coil. If you increase the load ( lower resistance on the coil or higher wattage output )... the battery can only deliver it's remaining voltage but to keep up... it's current drain must increase.
I agree nice explanation. Finally someone who isn't trying to use a mechanical formula to explain battery drain on a regulated device. I ran into many of them in ECF drove me nuts.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's what I just said.
Also, go to steam engine to the battery drain section. Changing watt setting affects battery run time. Keep the watt setting the same and put in several different ohm values. Runtime doesn't change. You're wrong.

Then I'd argue that the steam engine calculator is wrong. You can't be pulling more amps on the coil side without also pulling more amps at the battery in order to feed that coil.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A certain watt setting drains the battery at a certain rate. It stays the same at that watt setting regardless of atty resistance. Look it up.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree nice explanation. Finally someone who isn't trying to use a mechanical formula to explain battery drain on a regulated device. I ran into many of them in ECF drove me nuts.

I actually am using the same formula... but I'm using it on both sides... on the battery side and then to equalize it on the regulated side.

Reactions: dre

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I mean they just use straight up one sided ohms law and argue with you that I there right.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well... I'm done charging my mod batteries.... I need to do some of that for myself now... I only had 4 hrs sleep and then worked for 11 hrs today... I'm shot

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If total power on the right side of the converter stays the same, total power required on the left ( battery ) side of the converter stays the same. If the power drain stays the same, it stays the same. Steam engine might not be 100% accurate, but the principles used are.

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A certain watt setting drains the battery at a certain rate. It stays the same at that watt setting regardless of atty resistance. Look it up.

Not tonight... but it was a good discussion, I enjoyed it either way

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone know why the ip3 efficiency is 95% and the Sigelei is only 93%? I know there the same board with only different firmware so shouldn't the be equally efficient?

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well my Sigelei battery last the same amount of run time at 30 watta no matter what Resistance. So I'm leaning with broomstick on this one. Resistance doesn't matter. But I'm still going to use a meter and put this to rest cause I want to know.

Ordered a VS rDNA 30 yesterday. Was very surprised in receiving a shipment email today with tracking info. 30 day delay is for the rDNA 40 because of issues with the evolve 40 board. Alot of defective ones making the screen go wonky.

Rawmade

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Resistance absolutely matters lol. The board doesnt just draw a constant 30 amps or whatever the max output is. It has a minimum idle current draw but in use the current drawn is whats requested from the settings and build. The higher the build the less current (amps) drawn, the lower the build the more current drawn.
The more amps being used the more battery used. You know how battery capacity is in Mah?
That stands for milliampre hour, literally describing how much current (amps) said battery can provide.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Meter confirms it amps didn't change at the battery when I changed atty resistance and left the watts at the same setting.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not talking about battery drain at all when talking about resistance not mattering. I'm talking about resistance not determining how much power is applied to the load in a VW device. Set the resistance to whatever you want. If you set your device to x watts, you get x watts. (Within the devices limits of course) I'm talking about the way power is determined in a mech versus a vw device. Pay attention.

heinz.abednego

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey guys I think vapor shark stopped selling their rdna30 wtf I was five dollars away from orderin it

VU Sponsors