Become a Patron!

Going from an RDA to an RTA. Question about building coils.

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've been using a dripper for the last few months. I just picked up a Lemo tank the other day. I've been told that the Lemo has the same type of deck as a Kayfun. I'm trying to figure out a good build for the Lemo that would suit me. On my drippers I like to have a very hot vape, usually 0.15 - 0.20 ohms. What would be a good ohm range for my Lemo?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I build dual micros in my Orchid @ .17ohms. You can build singles in your Lemo at your target resistance without any issues. My Squape R has a single coil @ .2 ohms.

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ok, well at the moment I only have 26 gauge wire and the deck is only set up for a single coil build. I can either wrap around the two screws or go through the post holes. I built a coil and I believe I did 6 wraps, pretty average diameter for a standard coil, and it was only like .9 ohms. I'm not sure what to do in order to find that low build but I know it can be done.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That will be close to impossible with 26 and not touch the chimney walls. Your target with that gauge, .2ohms, 2mm mandrel...will require in the neighborhood of 19 wraps. Much more doable with 28g...that should require only 13 wraps. 10 on a 3mm mandrel...which is about the size of the shaft on an average jeweler's screwdriver.

Last edited:

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hell even 30 or 32 ga would get you comfy where you want to be, even allow you some wild coil set ups.

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That will close to impossible with 26 and not touch the chimney walls. Your target with that gauge, .2ohms, 2mm mandrel...will require in the neighborhood of 19 wraps. Much more doable with 28g...that should require only 13 wraps. 10 on a 3mm mandrel...which is about the size of the shaft on an average jeweler's screwdriver.
I forgot that I do have a little bit of 28g. But I thought that the less wraps you did, the lower the ohms? 13 wraps seems like a lot... Just from what I've seen. I'm not doubting you because I really don't know much about building. I've just gotten to where I can build consistently on my RDA's: 26 gauge wire, dual parallel coils, 4 wraps, been in the neighborhood of .18ish

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The wire provides a load...which is resistance....as you increase the load, you increase the resistance. Think of wraps as rocks in a stream...add enough and you stop the flow of water (current) entirely :)

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So the more wraps the more resistance? And the more resistance the lower the ohms?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
So the more wraps the more resistance? And the more resistance the lower the ohms?
Bingo! Thinner wire offers greater resistance in the same manner that a narrow stream restricts the flow of water to a greater degree than a wide river. I have found that it is so much easier to truly understand the physics of current if we look at it like water flowing down a river or stream. Hence why we call the rate of flow....the "Current" in both electricity and water.

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok I think I got it. So for example, if I did the exact same build I was telling you I did for my dripper but I used 28 or 30 gauge wire it would be a hotter build?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok I think I got it. So for example, if I did the exact same build I was telling you I did for my dripper but I used 28 or 30 gauge wire it would be a hotter build?
Surface of the sun! The power goes directly to the body of the coil...and burns hotter than hades because it has nowhere to go!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been building dual coil with 22g for so long....then I build a 24g single in my Squape R @ .5ohms and pulse it.....HOLY SHEEP SHITE!!! I was shocked at how bright and searing hot it was!

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have been building dual coil with 22g for so long....then I build a 24g single in my Squape R @ .5ohms and pulse it.....HOLY SHEEP SHITE!!! I was shocked at how bright and searing hot it was!
Lol ok I see what you mean. So is this why people do micro coils in tanks? Build a smaller coil so you can still have a high resistance on a deck where you might not have much room to build or its not set up for a dual coil build, like my Lemo?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Lol ok I see what you mean. So is this why people do micro coils in tanks? Build a smaller coil so you can still have a high resistance on a deck where you might not have much room to build or its not set up for a dual coil build, like my Lemo?
Indeed...however there is a caveat. Whilst smaller coils fit in smaller places...they do so at the sacrifice of flavour! Surface area = flavour do to more juice being atomised....that in and of itself is too strong to be enjoyed...which is why ample airflow is necessary to "tone it down". This is our ongoing struggle as builders....that fine balance of resistance Vs flavour creating surface area. Too short of a coil only serves to over-atomise juice, leading to a burnt taste....and at a high enough wattage....flames.

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i currently have three different RTA's well two and some kayfuns. Orchid, erlkonigin nano. I'm going to redo some of my kayfuns to be used on when ever the beyang 3.0 ever comes out.

but My orchid is top notch. I have three, two V4s and one V3 and V6 (glass) coming in the mail. I don't get any leaks on the orchids or Erl.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
More resistance means higher ohms. I'm assuming you're using a mechanical mod? Dialing in performance is much easier with a device that allows for adjusting the other power variable. Mechs are fine, but having fixed voltage gives you less options. Just a thought.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i think 24g is what you're looking for since you like a hot vape, 22g in the lemo chamber would be like inhaling fire imo not to mention be hard as fuck to work with, 24g would at least give an enjoyable hot vape. id do probably 6-7 wraps around 3/32. you have to get it through the post holes though, it wont trap under leads. so have fun with that lol use some needle nose, bend the wires to how they will sit and trim the excess about equal to the length of the coil before sliding into the post holes

VU Sponsors