Become a Patron!

Going to try a clapton soon, are the metals safe?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people. I am going to give a clapton coil build a go next week, as I play electric guitar and am due some new strings. I usually buy a few packs at a time, so one can go to a clapton coil.

Thing is, most guitar stringer are nickel, is this a safe metal to be using? Should I be going for steel strings, these are less common but you can get them.

I might even try a burton coil (After Cliff Burton, heard it on here, and he played bass on one of my favourite songs by metallica, master of puppets. He sadly passed away on the master of puppets tour in the 80's though when their tour bus crashed. It would of been Kirk Hammett that died, but they drew cards that night for who would get the bed and whos up front, Cliff drew a higher card then Kirk, so he got the bed. I always wonder what the band would be with a better lear guitarist) Which would be even thicker string.

First off though I just want to make sure they are safe, as they are guitar strings and aren't really designed for vaping, Les paul would be turning in his grave if he knew we was using strings for this lol

EDIT: I watched a few videos before, but due to my memory loss I could not remember which type of string was needed. I know know you remove the actual string and replace with kanthal, so It is all Kanthal! What a donut.

Last edited:

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I can't tell if this is a joke or if you're serious hahaha. I suppose i should tell you it's unsafe in every imaginable definition of the word! :p I'm sure there will be more specific responses to follow. I just wanted to chime in now to help assure your survival until they appeared haha

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't tell if this is a joke or if you're serious hahaha. I suppose i should tell you it's unsafe in every imaginable definition of the word! :p I'm sure there will be more specific responses to follow. I just wanted to chime in now to help assure your survival until they appeared haha
No I was being deadly serious. I have brain damage, and just watched a video and realised it is steel I need. I forget things very easily due to the damage, and forgot the type needed so thought I would ask here and also watch a video.

Thanks though for warning me, I gotta remember STEEL not Nickel.

I edited my first post to say I now know its steel not nickel.

EDIT; Watching the videos, you are actually basically making your own bass string from a top string lol! I realise the Kanthal goes around the outside, not the other way around. That is where I was confused. I apologise for that, but I get confused a lot lol.I also have to remember to remove the wire from the middle and replace with Kanthal. I feel like a right idiot now. Sorry people, but thanks for pointing it out, I finished rip trippers video and realised it is all kanthal in the end, you just use the string to wind round.

Last edited:

Rollincoal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do you mean a video about using actual guitar string for coils? Honestly I have to agree and think it's not safe. It really would depend on the elements used to create the material the guitar strong is made of. There is nickel wrote used for building, but I'm sure the alloy used will vary from what produces optimum characteristics for music. Also, there is a good chance somewhere in production, there was oils or cooling solutions used in the manufacturing process. Those will both leave residues behind you don't want to be inhaling. I'm sure you could burn it off before you wick but still seems like a calculated risk. Especially when you can buy unify Ni wire to last a life time for the cost of a pack guitar strings, and make your own Clapton wire with little effort

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you mean a video about using actual guitar string for coils? Honestly I have to agree and think it's not safe. It really would depend on the elements used to create the material the guitar strong is made of. There is nickel wrote used for building, but I'm sure the alloy used will vary from what produces optimum characteristics for music. Also, there is a good chance somewhere in production, there was oils or cooling solutions used in the manufacturing process. Those will both leave residues behind you don't want to be inhaling. I'm sure you could burn it off before you wick but still seems like a calculated risk. Especially when you can buy unify Ni wire to last a life time for the cost of a pack guitar strings, and make your own Clapton wire with little effort
It was me being a donut, short term memory is part of my brain damage. Never become a alcoholic, seriously, it was the worst time of my life, and now at 25 I have osteoporosis, I have to have steroids to replace my testosterone as I messed up my pituitary gland, and my liver is damaged but repairing.

But, on the flipside, I am doing pretty good considering I had my last rites read to me on my birthday last year. I was that close to death, that I never want to touch alcohol again. I actually felt BETTER after the seizure, and they make people feel like crap, I was in agony all over from the whole body in cramp, and I am lucky as I could of ended up a mute in a wheelchair living my life as a vegetable. The hallucinations and terror during withdrawal were also unimaginable, I would not wish that on any one I know, even my enemies.

Rollincoal

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It was me being a donut, short term memory is part of my brain damage. Never become a alcoholic, seriously, it was the worst time of my life, and now at 25 I have osteoporosis, I have to have steroids to replace my testosterone as I messed up my pituitary gland, and my liver is damaged but repairing.

But, on the flipside, I am doing pretty good considering I had my last rites read to me on my birthday last year. I was that close to death, that I never want to touch alcohol again. I actually felt BETTER after the seizure, and they make people feel like crap, I was in agony all over from the whole body in cramp, and I am lucky as I could of ended up a mute in a wheelchair living my life as a vegetable.
Well fuck. Sorry to hear that

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well fuck. Sorry to hear that
Not your fault at all man, all mine, literally. I chose to drink, at the end I didn't though, I just had to drink to keep well while slowly dying. Alcohol is some messed up shit man. If they discovered it today, do you know it would be a Class A drug ( Our drug classification goes A, and that is drugs like ****** and crack, B for things such as speed and weed, and C for steroids and such, class C steroids you can carry for personal use).

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Do not use a guitar string for claptons. Use Kanthal or ni80. I have a nickel allergy so all my coils are made from Kanthal.

If you use a guitar string as a core for the extra stiffness while wrapping the Clapton, you then remove the core and replace it with a wire you would vape.

I just straighten a section of Kanthal and wrap around it, so they are ready to go once the outer wire is wrapped.

Hmmm burton coils! 28g over 24 or 22 maybe. Could only safely run single coil unless running a multi battery parallel mod.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am thinking a Burton would be thicker, similar to bass guitar strings are thicker than normal guitar strings, thus lower resistance?

I am now aware no guitar string is used at all, it is just used for winding and then replaced. It was just my messed up memory remembering things differently than they really were in the video, I now know it is all kanthal, so no one need to worry about me vaping on guitar strings lol.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I really like the idea of burton coils! I play an Ibanez SR500

Yes, they would be lower resistance due to being significantly thicker.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do not use a guitar string for claptons. Use Kanthal or ni80. I have a nickel allergy so all my coils are made from Kanthal.

If you use a guitar string as a core for the extra stiffness while wrapping the Clapton, you then remove the core and replace it with a wire you would vape.

I just straighten a section of Kanthal and wrap around it, so they are ready to go once the outer wire is wrapped.

Hmmm burton coils! 28g over 24 or 22 maybe. Could only safely run single coil unless running a multi battery parallel mod.
By safely, what do you exactly mean? Do you mean the amp draw it would cause on my batteries? I forget, is my Sig 150 series or parallel? This will be the third time I have been told, so I know this will probably be the last time I ask as I recognise how many times I have asked, just can't bloomin remember if it is series or parallel.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also there really is no need to use a guitar for making them. If you straighten your Kanthal core first, it coils just fine.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
By safely, what do you exactly mean? Do you mean the amp draw it would cause on my batteries? I forget, is my Sig 150 series or parallel? This will be the third time I have been told, so I know this will probably be the last time I ask as I recognise how many times I have asked, just can't bloomin remember if it is series or parallel.
The sig150 is series, it also will not fire if you build below .1

And yes, I mean due to the amp draw required to fire super fat coils.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok, I will remember to use just a single in there. It is series, I think I have got that now. Thanks for helping me out. :).

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Claptons can safely be run duals. Burtons would depend on what they ohm out too. If a single is .20 or higher then you could add a second so long as your batteries can keep up with a .1 build.

That will be a hot vape at .1 though. As in heat of the inhale. Some like it, not for me.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
could I safely run 2 claptons if I used the normal gauge for them? I'm not sure how to do the math for this, I know with a normal coil but not a clapton. I don't mind firing single coil anyway TBH if I have too, just not sure how to calculate with the kanthal through the middle as well.

The only thing I can think is make one and chuck it on my Ohm reader.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I currently have dual claptons in all my RDA's. They are 28/32 and 26/32 6 wraps and ohm out at .3 and .4 for the dual

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can kind of see the second one in this pic
image.jpg

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can kind of see the second one in this pic
View attachment 25536
Thanks man. I am going to make 2 today, but just using straight kanthal, then there is no danger of me burning guitar strings lol. Especially with my memory problems, I MAY not definitely, leave in the guitar string and use it that way, forgetting to take it out.

If I ever use a string, I will have to do written reminders to make sure I have made it safe.

But, I am just going to use some kanthal and try some claptons today.

I didn't like super low builds either dickyT, but since I got the sig150 I have been using a 0.15 dual coil set up in my el cabron, and it is honestly the best I have tasted around 50-60 watts. Above 60 is just pure cloud chasing if I am honest, I don't do that often but it is fun sometimes.

I will make some Claptons and some Burtons and see what the resistance is, If I can use the Burtons I will, If not Clapton is fine for me, he is deserved of a coil named after him, same as the Burton :).

Does anyone know the math for Claptons?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really like the idea of burton coils! I play an Ibanez SR500

Yes, they would be lower resistance due to being significantly thicker.
I only just noticed this, I play an ESP LTD MH1000, I got it shipped over from Canada due to the exchange rate. Even with $100 shipping to the UK, I still saved around £300 from what it costs over here.

What type of music you into? I've recently got into a lot of Thrash metal, mainly 80's stuff. I don't know how or why, all my friends listen to pop and electronic rubbish, its just me alone that listens to rock and metal lol. I've even learnt the majority of master of puppets on guitar, I just can't do Kirks solo, I can do james's though.. I am not that advanced yet. One day I will play it all though :).

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rights I am going to try some Claptons today. I want duals in my RDA, What gauges should I use? I want between either 0.1-0.3, maximum is 0.5 Ohms.

I have Kanthal in 24, 26, 28, and 30 gauge. What would be recommended for this type of build, as these coils will be my first attemp. I am going to use Kanthal instead of guitar strings, as due to my memory issues there could be danger, so I am going to Straighten the internal kanthal off of my spools, and also the side kanthal so it is real straight.

DickyT

╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I only just noticed this, I play an ESP LTD MH1000, I got it shipped over from Canada due to the exchange rate. Even with $100 shipping to the UK, I still saved around £300 from what it costs over here.

What type of music you into? I've recently got into a lot of Thrash metal, mainly 80's stuff. I don't know how or why, all my friends listen to pop and electronic rubbish, its just me alone that listens to rock and metal lol. I've even learnt the majority of master of puppets on guitar, I just can't do Kirks solo, I can do james's though.. I am not that advanced yet. One day I will play it all though :).
I like everything from classical to metal, with an emphasis on blues.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I made dual claptons, five wraps around a 3MM screwdriver. One was reading at abou t0.76, So I put the other in and its about 0.4. They only work when turned up pretty high, say 70-90 watts, but when they do work, my god. If they was a streetfighter, they would be the type who after knocking out all you teeth, repeatedly stamp on your hear until your ruined.

These coils were hard work I had to hand wind them as my drill would not go slow, my electric one I can go slow on but I could not find it so tried the battery one. Only worked fast, so I just used the drill as a jig and hand wound it. Probably not the best as it is my first Clapton, 26 gauge core with 30 gauge on the outside. These are really worth trying, they really, really chuck out clouds, and as a bonus? They taste even greater.

VU Sponsors