Become a Patron!

Gonna be selling Vapes at a local store, what do i need to know?

i already have had a vape pen for a few months now, i have a aerotank mega, swivel tip, and an ipow 2 battery, goes up to 15 watts, but my soon to be manager wants to know what i know about them. i need to know a good bit, into the technicalities and electronics and such, anyone know where i can research more about them?

he wants me to know basically how to prevent the buyer from making a hand held bomb, which can happen.

so where can i go to find lots and lots of info about vape pens and RDMs? (rebuildable mods)

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well your in the right place for information, that's for sure, look around at the different threads by members and vendors and you'll get a feel of what most are using and what most are selling, Enjoy the forum:)

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i already have had a vape pen for a few months now, i have a aerotank mega, swivel tip, and an ipow 2 battery, goes up to 15 watts, but my soon to be manager wants to know what i know about them. i need to know a good bit, into the technicalities and electronics and such, anyone know where i can research more about them?

he wants me to know basically how to prevent the buyer from making a hand held bomb, which can happen.

so where can i go to find lots and lots of info about vape pens and RDMs? (rebuildable mods)
Get on youtube and watch your ass off.

also, the electronics are really confusing to me, i dont understand how to say, match a wick with a battery and tank. again, i use a battery that'll get 15 wats, but i generally only use 7-10 watts, with a 1.8 wick. is the 1.8 measured in ohms?

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
also, the electronics are really confusing to me, i dont understand how to say, match a wick with a battery and tank. again, i use a battery that'll get 15 wats, but i generally only use 7-10 watts, with a 1.8 wick. is the 1.8 measured in ohms?
man im glad you are doing your research

dont worry about watts, focus on the amps being pulled. use a calculator for this http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp if you build a 0.5 ohm coil and put it on a fresh charged mech (always the baseline at 4.2v) it pulls 8.4 amps. to make sure your customers are safe, recommend a 20 amp continuous discharge (NOT pulse) battery. some include; LG HE2/HE4, samsung 25r, sony vtc3/4/5.

ohms come from your wire, not the wick. it depends on the thickness of the wire, how many wraps, and the diameter of the coil. use an ohm meter on every build you do and plug it in on the calculator. not just to know the ohms but to make sure you have no shorts

Cloudboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
YouTube and this forum. Also remember all b&m stores must price gualge on everything

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Get lots of coffee and read, read, read.
If you read all the information here at VU,,,,,,,,you will not have time to hold down a job, you'll be too busy reading.

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just take it nice and slow. No one starts out at this game knowing it all. Just take it nice and slow. Asking questions is always the best way to start.

First thing you need is an ohm meter. ALWAYS have an ohm meter. You never want build a coil without an ohm meter. I don't know if you've had a third degree burn, but I have. It took two months for the skin to fully cover the burn (it was from a pizza oven, not a battery), and then another month for it to heal.

Now what you need to know is Ohms Law. Ohms Law is the relation between the voltage of a power source, the resistance of the conductor, amount of amps drawn, and the wattage produced. Why do you need to know this? Because if too many amps are drawn from a battery (this is determined by the battery's C rating and capacity, we'll get to that later) the battery will experience a dead short, enter thermal run-away, and vent hot gasses and/or explode. This is very bad for you, the customer, and business.

This page will help.

As will this one.

Go on YouTube and look up Rip Trippers tutorials on building. He's nut, but he's good at what he does. He'll teach you the basics.

Also, remember when building you want to leave about five amps of head room in the battery. So, if you have a 20A, you don't want to go past a 15 amp draw so you won't want to go past 0.28 ohms or so.

Generally, here's the equations you need to know.

Amps (C; current)=Volts (V) / Ohms (R; Resistance), or, C=V/R

R = V/C

Watts (P; Power) = V^2/R, or, P = V^2/R

Now, generally, http://www.steam-engine.org/ can help you out with Ohms Law, coil wrapping, and making sure that you aren't going to dead short a battery, but you still could. So use your ohm meter.

Even if you aren't going to be building coils for your self, you need to know this to tell your customer who are going to be asking you this stuff.

EDIT: I just realized I never did get to C ratings. C ratings are complicated, and I'll admit I don't fully understand what they mean. As far as I know the C rating is how many times it's capacity a battery can safely discharge without over heating. They're simple to use though. You simply multiply the C rating (it will be a number, not always a pretty one) by the battery's capacity in amp hours (most capacities are given in milliamp hours [mAh]. To get it in amp hours just move the decimal accordingly; IE, for a Samsung R25, you have 2,600 mAh capacity. To get it in Ah, just adjust the decimal three places to the left. You get 2.6 Ah).

So, for a Samsung 25R, you'll have C of 7.7 and a mAh of 2,600. To get the Maximum Continuous Discharge rating, you'll move the decimal of the capacity three places to the left to get 2.6 Ah, the multiply by the C of 7.7. You'll get about 20.02 amps which rounds to a nice even 20 amps.

The Sony VTC4 has a mAh of 2,100 and a C of about 14.29 so it has a MCD rating of 30.009 amps.

I just want to add that I haven't been vaping nearly as long as some of the other members of this forum. I don't have the depth of their knowledge on the subject. I just like to be informed and have spent far longer than is probably sane researching the topic. I like vaping as a hobby, and it's saved my life. I used to be a two-three pack a day smoker. I want to be sure that what has saved me from a sure death by any one of the diseases brought on by smoking tobacco won't kill me through my own carelessness, and, by extension, share what I've learned to make sure that others will also be safe.

Ask question, learn more.

Last edited:

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Number3124 has some great starting advice. Also, what kind of store are you working in/starting? If it's not vape-dependent, I might suggest starting off your collection with a couple good juice lines, some Ego-style stick batteries, clearomizers, and maybe a few basic VV mods - this is what most noobs are going to be into, and it's what you'll be able to give good advice on to start, as you've already got experience there. Maybe pick up a higher-powered regulated device and a couple RDAs for yourself to play with while you're learning, and add to the store's stock as your own expertise grows. IMO it's better to stick with items you can give good advice on...

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
man im glad you are doing your research

dont worry about watts, focus on the amps being pulled. use a calculator for this http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp if you build a 0.5 ohm coil and put it on a fresh charged mech (always the baseline at 4.2v) it pulls 8.4 amps. to make sure your customers are safe, recommend a 20 amp continuous discharge (NOT pulse) battery. some include; LG HE2/HE4, samsung 25r, sony vtc3/4/5.

ohms come from your wire, not the wick. it depends on the thickness of the wire, how many wraps, and the diameter of the coil. use an ohm meter on every build you do and plug it in on the calculator. not just to know the ohms but to make sure you have no shorts

in bold is incorrect.
4.2v is commonplace nowadays but in a B&M position you'll want to fully understand ohm law and how it correlates to lower volt devices.
4.2v is the "norm" but you're sure to find a few 3.2-3.7v devices behind the glass.
if you sell someone a sub ohm atty and an ego batt then YOU'RE at fault.
it's only an example but I've seen vendors do worse with little regard to the consumers well being..

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
in bold is incorrect.
4.2v is commonplace nowadays but in a B&M position you'll want to fully understand ohm law and how it correlates to lower volt devices.
4.2v is the "norm" but you're sure to find a few 3.2-3.7v devices behind the glass.
if you sell someone a sub ohm atty and an ego batt then YOU'RE at fault.
it's only an example but I've seen vendors do worse with little regard to the consumers well being..
this guy was asking if his wick ohms out to 1.8, i was trying to keep it simple

Glad to see that your are doing your homework. I'll piggyback on the Youtube suggestion. Start searching for basic battery safety videos, and step up to building videos. Tale it slow if you need to, there is tons of information you will need to know, and the danger is real if you're building without the proper knowledge

Vaperstek

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I may.
Start with basic kits. Those are particularly easy and straight forward. At that point you are merely showing people how to fill tanks and change coils, also how to charge ego type batteries. When someone walks in irate and says my tank is leaking all over and I just bought this coil yesterday, will you know how to trouble shoot it? If you cant troubleshoot even the little stuff, don't even start trying to sell mods and such. that gets deep very quick. And at that point, you will have people coming in "testing" your knowledge, if you don't know, say it, never try to fake it, You cannot fake it with someone who has been vaping for a couple years. Just be honest. This is not learned overnight. Stick with the basic stuff at first, since thats where everyone starts anyway. build up the base, learn to fix and adjust the simple things and you are on your way to doing well.

VU Sponsors