Become a Patron!

Got my 4Nine last night, and now this morning the magnets won't repel

26650_hero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been loving the 4Nine and have been using it with the same atty/coil setup since last night (Tobh single coil @ .3 ohms). Battery is a 35A Efest 18650.

I feel like I'm missing something right in front of my face, but all of the sudden while vaping the magnet seemed to have switched polarity. I took it apart and tried flipping it - no luck. No matter which way I flip the magnet it is still attracted to the one on the switch.

Any ideas?? I ordered replacement magnets that will be here Tuesday, but there's gotta be a way to fix this.

Or if there isn't, does anyone have a layman's explanation of what happened?

**Edit** I also just received it last night, so it's practically brand new.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Heh.. same thing happened to me last night.. i didn't realize and shorted it and my battery got so fucking hot.. I'm pissed.

i ordered magnets off amazon but wont be here for another week or so.. I ordered the stingray X instead..

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What vendor did you get it from?

26650_hero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Custom Mod Creation

But good news! I found a workaround. I went to Ace Hardward and bought a package of their small magnets. At first I just stuck one to the bottom of the battery, but it only remained centered for 1-2 hits.

So, I drilled out the original delrin ring to accomodate the new and larger battery. The trick with drilling it out is to wrap the ring in duct tape, or else you are going to have chunks flying. After I drilled it out, I just slapped it on the bottom of my 18650 and she works like a dream! Well, so far at least.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got mine from Artemus as well lol.. looks like we both have the same problem

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Custom Mod Creation

But good news! I found a workaround. I went to Ace Hardward and bought a package of their small magnets. At first I just stuck one to the bottom of the battery, but it only remained centered for 1-2 hits.

So, I drilled out the original delrin ring to accomodate the new and larger battery. The trick with drilling it out is to wrap the ring in duct tape, or else you are going to have chunks flying. After I drilled it out, I just slapped it on the bottom of my 18650 and she works like a dream! Well, so far at least.

Yea i don't have the ability to drill anything out .. in the process of packing and moving.. will have to wait for my magnets and hope I can figure it out by then.. im aggravated.. he said there wouldn't be any issues with these ones.

26650_hero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea, I was aggravated too. I mean, I had just gone out and bought it a new Tobh, spent extra special care when wrapping the coils. Since I knew I would be at work all day I made sure both of my batteries were charged, and then BAM. Around 10am it decides that I don't need nicotine any more.

I just can't believe such a simple device (tube and magnet, cmonnnn) is prone to break in the first 24 hours of ownership.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Exactly man.. I know he had a ton of problems reported with the V1 and I was going to have him ship me the stingray instead so I didn't even have to worry, but then he told me about the V2's and all the issues were fixed.. and the magnets were EXTRA strong.. yea.. not the fucking case.

I emailed him for an address so I can send shit back.. im done ordering from him.

The kayfun that came with the 4nine also has messed threads and won't stay tight on the 4nine.. so basically NOTHING works he sent me.

26650_hero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
fuckin' a man. Like seriously, how do you fuck up making a 4nine? I've never seen a magnet fail so quickly.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
fuckin' a man. Like seriously, how do you fuck up making a 4nine? I've never seen a magnet fail so quickly.

Exactly.. I ordered the stingray X this morning because I was so fucking annoyed.. Oh and the 510 pin broke off one of his other KF's he sent me.. not even 1 month old. Never ordering again.

We shall see what he says about getting me a refund - I doubt hes going to do it.. but if he still offers me the stingray instead I'll probably take it just so I dont have to deal with the shipping/wait times

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I ordered the V2/Kayfun set up on the 1st. Ugh :(

Cancel if you can.. I was going to get a refund before he shipped it but he talked me out of it by saying all the issues were fixed.. buyer beware at this point..

I took his word and look what happened lol. Maybe you will be luckier? but sad to say i doubt it.. good luck either way!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I was not aware that that could even happen with magnets?

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Neither was I. I think that instead of using rare earth magnets they magnetized some cheaper metal.

That's gotta be it.

I know you can magnetize steel but rare earth is something entirely different!

26650_hero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's gotta be it.

I know you can magnetize steel but rare earth is something entirely different!

Yes it is! And after getting 'real' magnets from ACE hardware the difference is pretty stark. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that the magnet in the copper bottom switch is real. Or else I'm gonna have to find a way to take it out and replace it, which is questionably worth it on a $40 clone that has turned out to be the reliability equivalent of a Renault Alliance.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Yes it is! And after getting 'real' magnets from ACE hardware the difference is pretty stark. Now I'm just crossing my fingers that the magnet in the copper bottom switch is real. Or else I'm gonna have to find a way to take it out and replace it, which is questionably worth it on a $40 clone that has turned out to be the reliability equivalent of a Renault Alliance.

I would have gone with a Yugo if you are into automotive disasters.

Scuba-Matt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got the copper 4nine from Artemus a couple of days ago. Its working flawlessly. The firing button works better than the one on my original 4nine. Magnets seem strong. OP are you sure you got the version 2 ? The only time I have hears of magnets failing is if the get heated to a very high temperature. Call Artemus and see if he can send you some Neodymium magnets that fit or a new firing button with the magnetic wafer.

I am not having a great experience with Artemus right now! I ordered a Stingray X on July 24th. His website said that they would ship on the 25th. A few days passed by and I checked the website and it said that the Stingrays would ship on the 31st.

The 31st came and went and if still never heard from him about shipping. I email him and was told that the factory took longer than expected to get then ready and they would ship the following Monday.

Here it is, the 9th of August and I still don't have my stuff! I haven't heard back from the last email that I sent him. Now I'm trying to get my money back! I have an order from Fasttech take less time to receive! What the hell???

Anyone have any other contact info for him! This has been a horrible experience! Will never do business with him again!!

BUYER BEWARE! Artemus Custom Mod Creations... Feel like I've been ripped off!!!

26650_hero

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got the copper 4nine from Artemus a couple of days ago. Its working flawlessly. The firing button works better than the one on my original 4nine. Magnets seem strong. OP are you sure you got the version 2 ? The only time I have hears of magnets failing is if the get heated to a very high temperature. Call Artemus and see if he can send you some Neodymium magnets that fit or a new firing button with the magnetic wafer.

Oh yes, it's the V2. And I've already fixed the problem with a quick trip to Ace Hardware

JColt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BUYER BEWARE! Artemus Custom Mod Creations... Feel like I've been ripped off!!!

You'll get it. He does have issues with keeping people informed and shipping dates though. I ordered 2 4nines and it took about a week longer than what website states but got them. I just ordered the Kato from him. Says shipping on 15th but I won't hold him to it.

The direct connect top is iffy on my 4nine's from Artemus with a few tanks. I ordered a 510 top for them.

You can get a 510 top and new switch cheap if you can wait for 4nine here

http://focalecig.com/Product/Upgraded-top-capMagnetic-switch-for-4Nine-Mod-19635

Last edited:

Spendi

Member For 4 Years
Cancel if you can.. I was going to get a refund before he shipped it but he talked me out of it by saying all the issues were fixed.. buyer beware at this point..

I took his word and look what happened lol. Maybe you will be luckier? but sad to say i doubt it.. good luck either way!
I requested a cancellation and sent him a link to this thread. He should step up. He's got a dormant sub-forum here.
I don't know about replacement magnets and drilling and crap. I don't even want to.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
offered to send me the stingray I was originally going to take instead.. so lets hope there are no problems with that one

from what im reading it seems like his doing drop ship business......i have 2 4nines both from focalecig i loved them so much i ordered the 4nine 26650 model...also guys if you gonna vape .3 on a mod with a magnet you might wanna be ready for something to fail. heat kills......

pwnby

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
from what im reading it seems like his doing drop ship business......i have 2 4nines both from focalecig i loved them so much i ordered the 4nine 26650 model...also guys if you gonna vape .3 on a mod with a magnet you might wanna be ready for something to fail. heat kills......

I have been running .12 on my magnetic 4nine clone for two days now. heat doesn't kill, cheap ass replacement kills. There are plenty of good clones, and artemus doesn't have them.

artemus mods are shit. plain and simple. I bought a kfl+ black edition from him. the "m" tank that came with it felt cheaper than the chinese ce4 clones. poor threading, just low quality all around.
edit: forgot about that HORRIBLE whistle from a poorly machined airflow channel.

101vape.com has an AWESOME 4nine clone, btw.

Last edited:

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Yea I was using 1.3 coil.. so that really doesn't apply..

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got the magnets delivered yesterday but haven't had a chance to see if they work..

I still might return it neways because it just doesn't seem like a well built mod.. he said he will send me the regular stingray as soon as i give him tracking.

I just got the stingrayX (which is amazing) so I may just have him refund the $ at this point.. still not sure though

skenzer

Member For 4 Years
The only way I know of for magnets to fail in a 4nine is if you short out the battery. I've read that will fubar magnets in a hurry. I thought I read that you can rejuvenate them by stacking them with other magnets as we'll.
I own 2 4nines fron FT and they have been great. For $20 you could buy a good 4nine clone and skip trying to replace magnets. :)
Good luck!

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I also have the Copper 4nine from fasttech (not the "1:1"). Im running a .2 ohm dual coil for the past month or two and havent had any problems from the magnet, knock on wood (*beats on desk*). But i have heard about them losing polarity, or reversing it rather, and its always been due to a short not the heat.

Did anyone figure out how to remove the magnets? The magnets on mine are damaged and weakened and I would like to replace them. Thanks for your help :)

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The hole at the bottom of the button is there so you can poke something up through it to pop the magnet out.
Not sure on the floating magnet, there are a few different versions out there. Mine can be threaded out of the delrin and looks like you could just pop the magnet out of the copper ring but haven't had to mess with it fortunately.

skenzer

Member For 4 Years
Whatever you have to do you will most likely break the magnets. Except for the one you can unscrew if you have that type. Where did you buy your 4nine? Do you know who manufactured it?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not sure if your floating magnet looks like the 1st or 2nd pic but I didn't like the look of that tiny magnet so I chose a model with the 2nd one.
2 day lead time (right now) and about a week and a half mail time using usps express ePacket china.
Under $13 with a good set of magnets and copper button. I have used this same one for a few months without any issue.
http://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10008164/1772708-4nine-style-mechanical-mod

Also, the smaller one is magnet contacting batt, the one I have is copper contacting copper button and batt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-27-08-55-34.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-27-08-55-34.png
    281.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_2014-09-27-08-56-17.png
    Screenshot_2014-09-27-08-56-17.png
    458.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have posted this elsewhere but for you 4nine peeps, this is how you vent the 4nine. Otherwise it has no vent.

Attachments

• 2014-09-24 07.34.12.jpg
    2014-09-24 07.34.12.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 40
The one I have is like the one in the second picture above. I can see how it would probably be easy to knock the magnet out of the copper switch. The one I don't know how to do is the magnet within the copper inside the black derlin ring as pictured above.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haven't had to try but maybe find a socket that's the size of the copper housing and sit it on the socket with enough room for the magnet to pass through. Tap the magnet out.

Cool! Thanks for your help. Still haven't figured it out. May have to just break it with a hammer or dig it out with a small screwdriver :-/
I wonder if torching it would help to get it out...?

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You will need another hand to do it because the magnet wants to pull it's self off center but like this and just tap the magnet down and out. Unscrew it our of the delrin first.

2014-10-03 15.51.25.jpg

Okay, so here is what I ended up doing. Fist I had to remove the magnet from the copper. I couldn't dig it out, so I had to break/crush it with a hammer and screwdriver. While hammering it, I didn't realize that I had already cracked through the magnet with the first couple taps, and ended up bending and puncturing a hole through the copper. Once I realized I had successfully crushed the magnet, I just dug the rest of the magnet out with a small screwdriver and brushed it out until it was fairly clean. Then, I had to torch the copper to soften it up, flatten it out with a hammer and allen wrench and put solder on the hole so that it was sealed (I don't think I've ever soldered anything in my life)...just don't want to end up with a short...a little paranoid perhaps. I was able to insert another magnet pretty easily by just hammering/ pressure fitting it in. The new magnet is about 1mm thincker than the old magnet, but it did fix the problem with the switch being weak. However, because the new magnet is 1mm thicker, when I screwed everything back together, it started auto-firing. I just fixed that with a couple small rubber bands around the threads. This is craziness, but it worked. There are probably some washers I could get that will fit around the threads; I don't see the rubber bands lasting very long. Anyway, thanks for all the help. - J

reddragons

Member For 4 Years
Man I wished I would have come across this thread before. I ordered a kayfun from artemus on 10-10 today is 10-17 still not shipped. This was not a preorder just a normal kayfun. I emailed him 4 days ago he said it was a long weekend to check my tracking the next day. Been a couple days still not shipped. Sucks because his kayfuns have good reviews from people who have them.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Man I wished I would have come across this thread before. I ordered a kayfun from artemus on 10-10 today is 10-17 still not shipped. This was not a preorder just a normal kayfun. I emailed him 4 days ago he said it was a long weekend to check my tracking the next day. Been a couple days still not shipped. Sucks because his kayfuns have good reviews from people who have them.
That's a bummer... I've ordered four since the sale, and they all shipped within a couple days. One thing to note, is that the adjustable 510 moves very freely, but a fill hole o-ring fixes that. I hope you get it soon...

As far as the 4nine, and on topic, I didn't need to replace magnets, but mine auto fires everything with my VTC5's. My LG HE2's are just enough shorter that they work fine. I still have to have my 510 pins adjusted a bit closer than I'd like to the outer threading, though. Don't want a short, so I'm just careful. I have no idea how you could use button tops, at least with my clone. It would autofire everything. I'm assuming mine is a bit shorter than it should be, but it works fine with the LG's. @superjoefly , what batteries are you using? A change might help the auto firing.

The 4Nine is pretty awesome, but it is definitely not a mod for a beginner, or to be left unattended for that matter. It stays at home mostly for me, I feel it's kinda ripe for disaster. It hits damn hard, though, as it should. It's kinda quirky, but I dig it. It's so light and tiny compared to my other mods.

Anybody else seem to have batteries drain faster with the 4Nine, I feel like mine do. It does get chain vaped hard, though, when I use it.

reddragons

Member For 4 Years
That's a bummer... I've ordered four since the sale, and they all shipped within a couple days. One thing to note, is that the adjustable 510 moves very freely, but a fill hole o-ring fixes that. I hope you get it soon...

As far as the 4nine, and on topic, I didn't need to replace magnets, but mine auto fires everything with my VTC5's. My LG HE2's are just enough shorter that they work fine. I still have to have my 510 pins adjusted a bit closer than I'd like to the outer threading, though. Don't want a short, so I'm just careful. I have no idea how you could use button tops, at least with my clone. It would autofire everything. I'm assuming mine is a bit shorter than it should be, but it works fine with the LG's. @superjoefly , what batteries are you using? A change might help the auto firing.

The 4Nine is pretty awesome, but it is definitely not a mod for a beginner, or to be left unattended for that matter. It stays at home mostly for me, I feel it's kinda ripe for disaster. It hits damn hard, though, as it should. It's kinda quirky, but I dig it. It's so light and tiny compared to my other mods.

Anybody else seem to have batteries drain faster with the 4Nine, I feel like mine do. It does get chain vaped hard, though, when I use it.

Sorry did not intend to get off topic. Just saw this thread when I searched him here and did not want to start a new thread to just complain about a vendor.
Yea lots of people have ordered from this vendor and thanks for letting me know your orders have shipped withing a couple days. I emailed him again today this morning hope I finally get my kayfun.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sorry did not intend to get off topic. Just saw this thread when I searched him here and did not want to start a new thread to just complain about a vendor.
Yea lots of people have ordered from this vendor and thanks for letting me know your orders have shipped withing a couple days. I emailed him again today this morning hope I finally get my kayfun.
I've heard he's a bit inconsistent at times, but he's communicated well with me. I understand your frustration, though. He is a solid guy. And I can't emphasize the 510 pin o-ring suggestion enough. They are really nice clones.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I use my switch with matching polarity (gravity mode) so I'm not sure about the magnet issue. Love this mod!!! Looking forward at the end of the month my purchase of the SMPL and Future mods

TBCAmor- Sorry for the late reply; I haven't been on this forum for a little while. I got all of my 4nine mods to work pretty well. I love the 4nine. So far, it is my favorite mod. I have 3 of them now...lol. I use different batteries in the 4nine. I use a small rubber band that came from a tank that I got to give it some play when screwing it together so it's kind of adjustable to whatever battery I'm using now. It is a finicky mod, but that's part of the fun :)

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
TBCAmor- Sorry for the late reply; I haven't been on this forum for a little while. I got all of my 4nine mods to work pretty well. I love the 4nine. So far, it is my favorite mod. I have 3 of them now...lol. I use different batteries in the 4nine. I use a small rubber band that came from a tank that I got to give it some play when screwing it together so it's kind of adjustable to whatever battery I'm using now. It is a finicky mod, but that's part of the fun :)
Right on man. I only have 3 VTC5's, and have built up to 8 LG HE2's, so I just use my LG's with it and I'm good. It does like two of my attys better than others, but the LG's are a tad shorter than Sony's and it makes all the difference. I don't build low enough to need the Sony's, so they just go in other mods.

I do love the thing, it's definitely finicky, and it is the fun of it, lol. I don't name things, but I always think either Lil' Killa' or Killa' Shorty for the 4Nine. If you don't pay attention with your 510, the thing is a pipe bomb, especially since there's no venting. It packs a punch in a small package, though. And I swear it drains batteries faster.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
See post 35 to vent it, most likely you won't need it... but if you do, you will be glad you took a couple minutes to save your face.

VU Sponsors