griffin dry hitting!

cloudyjosh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Heya guys currently got 2.3 ID 24g 7 wrap coils in, cotton doesn't seem too tight cut short just going into ring at 75W. Dry hitting after 5 tokes so wanna try something different to fix what should I try? Only got single 18650 mod so don't wanna go too big :/

cloudyjosh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Raymo2u? And I mean like 5 lil tokes sometimes ain't even 5 I need to get used to wicking this its driving me nuts! :)

cloudyjosh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
:/

Attachments

• WP_20160202_15_51_54_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160202_15_51_54_Pro.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 191

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ill post my Griffin Wicking Tut...Ej you need to write @raymo2u and click my name for me to get notification to join!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thread your Cotton through...Make it so it has a SLIGHT Resistance when pulled in either direction and clip the cotton so theres a inch left on both sides.
Wicking tut 1.jpg

Round the cotton up and then measure where it should be if it was just sitting into the ports, then cut the cotton so it would fit in them without stuffing it in.
Wicking tut 2.jpg

Guide the cotton into the ports/ring with tweezers or something flat. Then any cotton hanging out lightly tuck it into the ring. If it feels like the cotton is too tight of pressured in then grab the whole cotton end end lift/wiggle it some to loosen it up. There should be NO cotton showing underneath and should just be cupped by the Ring and Ports!
Wicking tut 3.jpg Wicking tut 4.jpg

After your cotton is all set I like to raise the ring a full twist or 2 so where the cotton shows from under it that area is widened and higher, this makes it easier for juice to wick.
Wicking tut 5.jpg

Now take the Chamber/Barrel and hold it so a hole is over each coil and then push it on, this makes it so the holes are no where near the cotton as it goes down and it leaves the cotton undisturbed.
Wicking tut 6.jpg

Someone on a thread told me they kept dryhitting and another person said they were getting leaking so here is some trouble shooting info based on what stemmed from them:

Im guessing your stuffing your cotton in tight into the juice ports, the others didnt have enough wick in them...the cotton needs to be light and fluffy where juice makes contact or it chokes it off instead, having it too loose you can use the juice control to close it to prevent leaking...

Cut your cotton flush to the ring and use a flathead to LIGHTLY guide it into the port, it should just be cupped by the ring and port. If its bunched up then pull it out and fluff it with your screwdriver and then try again.

See how my cotton looks fluffy and not force into the ports? No cotton showing under the ring? Those tips end right after where the ring is and there is about a millimeter between the tips and the juice ledge. You can see the ledge where the cotton should rest on/above if you raise the ring a few twists.

If you have problems getting it right then remove the ring, get your cotton cut at the ledge and then replace the ring and the pull the tips up lightly, not enough to pull them out. The better cotton prep you do the better your wicking will be when vaping, pay attention to detail, after you get it its very easy to replicate.

Some people have a easier time Watching RIP Tripper Review of the Griffin and using how he wicked his...Skip to 5:40

cloudyjosh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cheers guys I'm going to nail it tonight :) do you think I should do more wraps/wider coil to spread heat also? :)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Cheers guys I'm going to nail it tonight :) do you think I should do more wraps/wider coil to spread heat also? :)
Thats all up to you, Im not a fan of spaced wraps but others are...do what you prefer.

cloudyjosh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah will try a few different builds later when I'm practicing wicking :) and I used to when I was on RDA's but when i got my subtank I did 8 wraps and split it in 2 and it worked really well I could get it up to 50w before it went dry :)

Attachments

• WP_20160202_17_42_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160202_17_42_36_Pro.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 73

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yea thats not the Griffin though...Everything needs a different wick style, most are just variants of the most known versions.
The Griffin needs a Scottish Roll with its ends just cupped by the Ring/Ports....This is the best method for that RTA.
For most Subtank RBA's the Pancake Wick method works very well.
For things like the Goblin Mini the best method is to cut at the deck, pull them up and put the Barrel on and then tuck them into the ports.

Ramsay Bolton

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thread your Cotton through...Make it so it has a SLIGHT Resistance when pulled in either direction and clip the cotton so theres a inch left on both sides.
View attachment 40121

Round the cotton up and then measure where it should be if it was just sitting into the ports, then cut the cotton so it would fit in them without stuffing it in.
View attachment 40123

Guide the cotton into the ports/ring with tweezers or something flat. Then any cotton hanging out lightly tuck it into the ring. If it feels like the cotton is too tight of pressured in then grab the whole cotton end end lift/wiggle it some to loosen it up. There should be NO cotton showing underneath and should just be cupped by the Ring and Ports!
View attachment 40125 View attachment 40124

After your cotton is all set I like to raise the ring a full twist or 2 so where the cotton shows from under it that area is widened and higher, this makes it easier for juice to wick.
View attachment 40122

Now take the Chamber/Barrel and hold it so a hole is over each coil and then push it on, this makes it so the holes are no where near the cotton as it goes down and it leaves the cotton undisturbed.
View attachment 40126

Someone on a thread told me they kept dryhitting and another person said they were getting leaking so here is some trouble shooting info based on what stemmed from them:

Im guessing your stuffing your cotton in tight into the juice ports, the others didnt have enough wick in them...the cotton needs to be light and fluffy where juice makes contact or it chokes it off instead, having it too loose you can use the juice control to close it to prevent leaking...

Cut your cotton flush to the ring and use a flathead to LIGHTLY guide it into the port, it should just be cupped by the ring and port. If its bunched up then pull it out and fluff it with your screwdriver and then try again.

See how my cotton looks fluffy and not force into the ports? No cotton showing under the ring? Those tips end right after where the ring is and there is about a millimeter between the tips and the juice ledge. You can see the ledge where the cotton should rest on/above if you raise the ring a few twists.

If you have problems getting it right then remove the ring, get your cotton cut at the ledge and then replace the ring and the pull the tips up lightly, not enough to pull them out. The better cotton prep you do the better your wicking will be when vaping, pay attention to detail, after you get it its very easy to replicate.

Some people have a easier time Watching RIP Tripper Review of the Griffin and using how he wicked his...Skip to 5:40

Thanks raymo2u!

Just stumbled this thread.

Experiencing Dry Hits and AFC leaking at the same time on my Griffin 25. :bomb:
Will give your wicking technique a try.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks, I've looked before but didn't find it I guess. So I got some cotton bacon for my new 25. Was using pads. So far hit and miss from not enough to too much.

Anything special for CB? Do you do Scottish roll with that too?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks, I've looked before but didn't find it I guess. So I got some cotton bacon for my new 25. Was using pads. So far hit and miss from not enough to too much.

Anything special for CB? Do you do Scottish roll with that too?
When using CB pull of 2/3 of what the coils ID is and then pull it a bit in all direction going outwards then thread it through, CB is very dense and a little goes a long way. You wont need to use the Scottish Wicking using CB if you do what I just advised you to do, it should work from there on out.

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Cool. First try was too short on ends and it leaked. 2nd try longer ends but more too. No spread. So I have too much in the coil. Too tight and not spread out at all.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Cool. First try was too short on ends and it leaked. 2nd try longer ends but more too. No spread. So I have too much in the coil. Too tight and not spread out at all.
Yea you want it to slide without too much restriction but enough to where it does need to be pulled to pull out from the coil. The tips should just barely touch the ledging inside the juice port also...you can cut the tip into a "V" to get it in as bunching it up can choke it off also

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had the 22 dialed in with pads, but the CB through me off a little. I'll get it sorted out. Thanks for the help Ray.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I had the 22 dialed in with pads, but the CB through me off a little. I'll get it sorted out. Thanks for the help Ray.
If you need anything or need me to walk you any further just let me know, Im here to help ;)

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So how do you wick a Boreas? Anything special?
I wick it like I would a RDA really..

I cut my tips at the Deck Line and the push them towards the deck, I try and get the very tips to be at the holes though and then wet them. While they are wet I will go in with tweezers and open up the space under the coil and lightly pad the cotton to the sides...I will try and get a wicking tut up for that if you'd like also.

20160612_173142.jpg

VU Sponsors