Become a Patron!

Gunk on drip tip, and health

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello,

Anyone get a little gunk build up on the drip tip? Makes me wonder if this build up is also happening in our lungs?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
On the outside it's what I call spit build up.

However, with a lot of use, there is a build up that occurs on the inside of the drip tip as well a the center tube of tanks and RBAs.

Rinse with water and run a Q Tip down it to clean once every week or two.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In not possitve, but I'm pretty sure it's skin from your lips, therefore no issue with your lungs;)
This. Use Chapstick and the little chunks of dead skin won't stick to the drip tip. I only seem to have that problem with bare stainless tips, if my lips are dry.

Maynard

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's just gunk off your lips;
skin, what you had for dinner, etc..
Don't wash it for a long time and you'll have a yummy snack later. Mmmm

WharfRat1976

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have always wondered what saturating our lungs with water vapor means as well. It cannot be a good thing. I exhale vapor on my office desk surface all day. The buildup is like a thick dust after awhile. Same dust as on the car wondows, etc. I wonder what analysis if any has been done on saturating lungs with water vapor.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You saturate your lungs with water vapor every time you take a shower. To the best of my knowledge, there have been no known cases of people getting sick from taking daily showers as a result of high humidity air. To a lesser extent, anybody living in a tropical climate would also have a lot of moisture going in their lungs just from normal breathing. Any time you breathe the air while it is foggy outside or while it is raining, your saturating your lungs with moisture. We have a coughing reflex to get unwanted stuff out of our lungs, that would include moisture build up if you managed to vaped enough to actually get fluid condensing in your lungs. Just like you cough up mucus from your lungs when you have a bad cold. Your lungs have to stay moist. You can see your breathe when it's cold out because of humidity in the air you exhale. Humidity that comes from the moisture in your mouth, throat, and lungs.

Besides, your exhaling most of that vapor as well, right?
It isn't staying in your lungs and condensing into puddles of liquid.
Even if you hold it in until there is nothing to exhale, it is being absorbed by your blood stream and metabolized.

And just for the sake of it. Breathing in air that is under 20% humidity can actually result in respitory illnesses such as colds and flu because the lining in your nose, throat, and lungs can dry out and crack (also possibly resulting in nosebleeds)

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure breathing water vapor and vapor from pg/vg and flavorings is exactly the same thing. While I have zero doubts it is a lot better for you than smoking, I would not be surprised in the least if it turned out that there are some "risks" to our health, mild or not in vaping.

Maynard

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
VG/PG vapor is not water vapor.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You saturate your lungs with water vapor every time you take a shower. To the best of my knowledge, there have been no known cases of people getting sick from taking daily showers as a result of high humidity air. To a lesser extent, anybody living in a tropical climate would also have a lot of moisture going in their lungs just from normal breathing. Any time you breathe the air while it is foggy outside or while it is raining, your saturating your lungs with moisture. We have a coughing reflex to get unwanted stuff out of our lungs, that would include moisture build up if you managed to vaped enough to actually get fluid condensing in your lungs. Just like you cough up mucus from your lungs when you have a bad cold. Your lungs have to stay moist. You can see your breathe when it's cold out because of humidity in the air you exhale. Humidity that comes from the moisture in your mouth, throat, and lungs.

Besides, your exhaling most of that vapor as well, right?
It isn't staying in your lungs and condensing into puddles of liquid.
Even if you hold it in until there is nothing to exhale, it is being absorbed by your blood stream and metabolized.

And just for the sake of it. Breathing in air that is under 20% humidity can actually result in respitory illnesses such as colds and flu because the lining in your nose, throat, and lungs can dry out and crack (also possibly resulting in nosebleeds)
^^^ This....most intelligent, factual comment here. The pg in the husband's asthma inhalers is absorbed by his lungs, it carries the medication there to be absorbed and dispersed to the rest of his bloodstream. Vg is absorbed and dispersed the same way. Both are water soluble, which makes it possible for this to happen. Tar from cigarettes, on the other hand, is NOT water soluble and adheres to the lungs. You can see evidence of this in the brown, smelly cotton of a cigarette filter.
I'm not worried about the "possible dangers" of vaping. My lungs are telling me vaping is better. I can breathe, smell, taste, hardly ever cough anymore, and haven't had my twice-a-year case of walking pneumonia since I started vaping. That's the only "study" I'm concerned with.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not sure breathing water vapor and vapor from pg/vg and flavorings is exactly the same thing. While I have zero doubts it is a lot better for you than smoking, I would not be surprised in the least if it turned out that there are some "risks" to our health, mild or not in vaping.
Thanks for reminding me to look up the latest research (not the oft-quoted NEJM biased study that found toxins AFTER they created a vaping scenario that would never happen in the real world, with the exception of some zombie who enjoys burnt hits). Anyway, here you go:

Over and over again, we’ve heard public health officials argue that we simply do not have enough scientific data to be certain that electronic cigarettes are a safe alternative to tobacco. But the truth is that research is abundant and every month, we have new studies that point to the truth. The latest study to hit the scenes is shaming critics and shocking public health officials with undeniable evidence that vaping is safe and effective.

The new study was published in “Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology” and showed what exactly is hiding in ecig vapor compared to the contents of cigarette smoke. Scientists ran tests on three flavors ofBlu ecigs and two flavors of SKYCigs. They also tested Marlboro Golds and Lambert & Butler cigarettes. Finally, they tested the ordinary room air as a baseline to use as they compared the results.

The researchers specifically looked for 8 toxins in this study: carbon monoxide, carbonyls, phenolics, volatiles, metals, tobacco-specific nitrosamines, polyaromatic amines, and polyaromatic hydrocarbons. It was no surprise that tobacco cigarette smoke was full of poisonous chemicals. But researchers were shocked to see that the toxins in ecigarette vapor were quite similar to the normal toxins found in regular room air. In fact, there was no major increase in toxins between normal air and ecig vapor.

Instead of deadly toxins, the ecig vapor only contained propylene glycol, water, and small traces of flavoring and nicotine additives. In order to register any degree of toxicity, the scientists had to use 99 puffs of an ecig to get even the tiniest measurement of 0.18 milligrams of HPHC’s. To put that in perspective, a single puff of a Marlboro Gold cigarette measured 30.6 milligrams. In a puff-to-puff comparison, the cigarettes had 2000 times more toxins than the e-cigs.

Source: http://www.churnmag.com/news/scientists-shocked-after-testing-ecig-vapor-in-the-lab/

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do not believe anyone here is claiming vaping is anywhere near as bad for you as smoking. Now, the obvious health issue is nicotine, but I know you can vape 0 nic.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I could link many studies showing nicotine and it's ill effects on the cardiovascular system, but I won't. Not trying to argue..but I believe it's common knowledge that nicotine (quantity affects it obviously) does have health risks, as well as psychological effects as it replaces dopamine production as it binds to the same receptors so your body learns to produce less of it. Anyways, not trying to change anyones mind, if you feel there are NO health risks at all with vaping...that's fine, perhaps there isn't.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Put it on the list with caffeine, gluten, aspartame, and many others. Different folks have different aversions to many things and some to none. Personally, I've taken in massive amounts of nicotine over the years with no adverse effects. A handful of others could be different.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fresh air, clean water, and sunshine are all we really need. Maybe a few roots and berries, as well.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Like Mick Dodge....lol!

VapeLikeALady

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
^^^ This....most intelligent, factual comment here. The pg in the husband's asthma inhalers is absorbed by his lungs, it carries the medication there to be absorbed and dispersed to the rest of his bloodstream. Vg is absorbed and dispersed the same way. Both are water soluble, which makes it possible for this to happen. Tar from cigarettes, on the other hand, is NOT water soluble and adheres to the lungs. You can see evidence of this in the brown, smelly cotton of a cigarette filter.
I'm not worried about the "possible dangers" of vaping. My lungs are telling me vaping is better. I can breathe, smell, taste, hardly ever cough anymore, and haven't had my twice-a-year case of walking pneumonia since I started vaping. That's the only "study" I'm concerned with.
Ditto. Nor have I used my asthma inhaler or nebulizer machine. I always say I can't tell you facts about everyone else but here's what I've experienced...

VU Sponsors