Become a Patron!

Harsh tasting mixes

inkyy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey ppl. Recently got into diy and hitting the same problem. My mixes are coming up and giving a harsh throat hit on 3mg nic. Using calculator so quantities of nic are correct. Is it the nic its self? The concentrates? Steeping? Please help. Thanks

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi, welcome to VU. It could be anything really, maybe a mistake in flavoring percentages or it could be a problem with your device or atomizer... We need a bit more info to help, like what flavorings and calculator your using, what Mg Nic your starting with and the rest of the math and the gear your using..please.

inkyy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey. It's not the setup I'm using as that's been awesome for bought juices. The mix I'm trying at the min is
10ml
0.42 ml nic (72mg)
PG 0.38ml
VG 8ml
Passion fruit 0.7ml (7%)
Orange manderin 0.5ml (5%)
1 x drop of EM

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Try it with no flavoring to see if it's your nic base ingredients or the flavorings. Just PG+VG+nic.

inkyy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good thinking. I've also just had a thought that when mixing 2 flavourings I should half the percentages?

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Good thinking. I've also just had a thought that when mixing 2 flavourings I should half the percentages?
...or at least reduce them some, yeah!

So if you mix a bottle with no flavor, and it's fine - then mix THAT with your flavored bottle to reduce the overall flavoring.

inkyy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Legend bro. Can I also ask. Would u advise PG nic or VG nic

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Legend bro. Can I also ask. Would u advise PG nic or VG nic

totally personal preference! Drippers use high VG. I don't drip but like VG because it's sweeter, and I have a sweet tooth.
Most DIYers would recommend trying 50/50 first and see how that works.

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When your talking ratios, always remember PG= throat hit & VG = vapor production. Both carry flavorings differently. It also matters what extracts your using and where they are from. I know most of the orange and orange peel flavors I've used were very potent.( and some that I have came across while "flavor hunting" were oil based, do not use oil based flavorings for e liquid. ) but It could be that potent flavor causing the hit to be "harsh", in which case I would suggest raising your passion fruit to 10% and the orange flavoring to 2% and try making another 10ml.

inkyy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The nic was bought about two weeks ago. It come to me crystal clear. I'm from the UK so I don't think any of you guys would know the supplier. If anyone could recommend a supplier for me that would be awesome. Ps its 72mg as I'm sure that's the highest the UK allows

inkyy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some nic has been known to be extreme peppery harsh ,i tossed 120ml bottle once it was so dam bad even at 1mg strength

tell us about your nic ,supplier age blah blah blah

I think it could be harsh nic. Gonna test tonight. Think I am getting a perfect taste tbh

msjs91011

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was getting extremely harsh, unvapable mixes until I cut my flavor percentages down to about 25% of what I was previously using. For example, if I wanted FW Green Apple, I would mix it at whatever their recommended flavor percentage was, so say it's 20%. It would F my throat up! I cut that percentage down to 5%, and its delicious and vapable. My advice is start low. If it says 15% try 5%. You can always add more flavor to salvage the weak juice to your taste. Too much flavor and you might as well dump it, because once you start getting into dilution you better hope you're good at math and understand how adding 5ml VG to a 10ml mix with 15% flavor at 3mg nic will reduce your nic to 2mg and flavor to 10%

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The nic was bought about two weeks ago. It come to me crystal clear. I'm from the UK so I don't think any of you guys would know the supplier. If anyone could recommend a supplier for me that would be awesome. Ps its 72mg as I'm sure that's the highest the UK allows
http://www.vaperstek.org/
My favorite nic and the favorite of alot of others here who DIY.

Couple things could be going on if your juice is turning out harsh. First off, if you're using PG nicotine a 3MG is gonna come out as harsh. Most commercially sold e liquid uses VG based nicotine so you're most likely used to a VG based 3MG. Second thing could be your PG. there are so many different brands of PG on the market and some of them tend to make juice harsh. Could be your flavoring as well, certain flavors tend to have more of a throat hit, particularly some fruits.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
there are so many different brands of PG on the market and some of them tend to make juice harsh.

Hey @617_nick - it'd be great if you'd start a new thread about that, especially if you can compare PG from a couple different sources. I no longer use PG, but when I did, it seemed to me there was lots more variation in quality/flavor of PG than VG.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was getting a harsh vape until I switched to Vaperstek nic. It is much better IMHO. I thought that everything I made had to be harsh but when I switched from WL to VT nic it made a big difference.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are at least two other posts from people in the UK with harsh tasting nic. I forget the supplier, but it's possible it's the nic.

If it is, the only suggestion I have is Chemovatic, which is the same as Vaperstek nic. I think they're in Poland, so you should be able to get that easier than from the US.

VU Sponsors