Become a Patron!

Hated E-Cig Might I Like Vapes?

Heya forum, Im trying to quit smoking so I wanted to give vaping a try and Ive run into a bit of a snag. I bought a "Vapor King Ash" e-cig to start on because it was inexpensive and no joke the absolute second the vapor hit my lungs I started gagging. After that I figured id just stick to tobacco because I can buy a good pound of loose tobacco for 25$. Just recently I started a ketogenic diet and started walking again so smoking tobacco has really been killing the natural high I get from exercise plus has been throwing off my HCT and hemoglobin.

My question is that if I try a better quality vape this time around would it be possible to tolerate it? I know this is probably subjective so Im hoping to get responses from people who had a similar experience with e-cigs. What bothered me about the e-cig was not only the taste but also I could never saturate my lungs with vapor because once it hit my lungs I had no control over my body trying to cough it back out. Im looking into the Vandy Vape Pulse 80w + 24mm RDA along with organic juices and i think itll be a better experience but I just wanted to get some input before i dropped $100 on it and all the necessary accoutrements.

Thanks.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First off, welcome to VU!
The first device you used is what we call a "cigalike" and from my experience do not give the optimum vaping experience. Box mods, mech mods, etc provide more power, and RTAs, RBAs, RDAs do give a better flavor experience and nicotine delivery. BUT, you will likely still cough. This is normal and doesn't last long. Tobacco is a dry smoke, as opposed to the wet "steam" from a vape, and can require a bit of getting used to. I would suggest starting on lower wattage and shorter hits until you get accustomed to the difference. You are definitely doing your body a service by ridding yourself of tobacco. Just start slow and give yourself time to adjust to the better vape from the better device.

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
It took me about 2 weeks to get used to vaping. It's all smooth sailing from there on. But yes, do yourself a favor and start with a higher powered device, something in the range of 50-80W should be ok. Cigalikes have low power and need to use liquid high in PG (Propylene Glycol) to work without getting clogged, maybe you are allergic to (large amounts of) PG. The larger vapes can use liquid high in VG (Vegetable Glycerin), which delivers a smoother, thicker vapor.

I mix my own liquid and use a base that is 75% VG and 25% PG, while the nicotine solution is 60% VG and 40% PG. Flavors are generally delivered as PG-only because they dissolve better in PG, but the percentage of flavoring you need to add is small, so it does not really matter.

This is valid if you're going to mix your own juice (i highly recommend going that route). If you buy it ready-made, the label will tell you everything you need to know and you can choose according to your taste and tolerance for PG.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Welcome to VU. Do hope you find a kit to help you kick the 'bacci. You might consider some of the JUUL devices or Joyetech Penguins. They are simple for new users and you can control the type/amount of hit you get.

Once you are off the stinkies, you will go through a period of days/weeks of hacking up all the crap in your lungs. This is perfectly normal and goes away on its own.

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
The Penguin was my first vape. My girlfriend is currently using it (after hers got stolen at work). We've dropped it countless times and it still works, it's 9 months old and the battery still holds ok. However it does take a bit of care to use without burning coils every week or so, you really shouldn't draw on it for more than 2-3 seconds at a time as its airflow is very restricted. But for a light use or backup device, it's a solid performer.

Thanks for the input. I think im going to try 100% vg on an at ohm RDA because I want to go all in for taste and not be tempted to go back to tobacco. I really think it was the PG that did me in so ima go for as organic as possible juice.

Last edited:

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Have a friend at work i was trying to help give up smoking ...no matter what we tried she would also heave after vaping

What we found

Juice PG/VG ratio makes a big difference ...for her she couldn’t handle too much VG ...however for me it’s the opposite, this is where everyone is different start 70/30 (VG/PG) buy small samples to see what you get on with go up or down in the ratio

Flavours same thing this is really hard to advise on even if you hit the DIY section you’ll see people like adjusting the flavour percentages to thier own tastes and you’ll find different atomiser respond differently to flavours as well ...Expensive commercial juice doesn’t mean its better however it is advisable if buying to buy from a reputable source ...the lady in question landed on tobacco and fruity flavours, she found she hated menthol and bakery flavours

She also really struggled with almost every device I bought in the try including All in Ones, she particularly struggled with cloudy vapes so we ended up finding a pen that seemed to work for her without gagging...this is where a shop helps because you can try different products first

Getting used to a different inhale technique takes time ...she just couldn’t get on with direct lung, coming back to the pen it wasnt Exactly mouth to lung but somewhere in between where she could take shallower puffs. Even with this getting used to pressing the fire button as you inhale, she kept instinctively pressing the button before she took a puff which was cooking the juice making her gag

She had to smoke and vape to begin with and still does...however the important bit here is not leaving a tank full of juice for a day or more ..the cotton becomes so saturated that it gargles and spits when you pick it back up this was putting her off using it

Something that doesn’t leak ...nobody wants a leaky PoS however this goes hand in hand with the above and some pre made coils have better QC that others

Last but not least form ...she didn’t want to carry about something that was too big ...mod and tank set ups were off the table

In truth she was a pain in the ass but we got there in the end and she’s sill transitioning good luck with it Dewo

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
however the important bit here is not leaving a tank full of juice for a day or more ..the cotton becomes so saturated that it gargles and spits when you pick it back up this was putting her off using it

Haha, i become wary if my cotton does NOT gargle at me slightly when i draw on it. :teehee: Just goes to show that everyone's different.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
It does indeed :cheers:

Thanks kingpin. Ive considered what you said about old juice so ive been mainly looking at regulated squonks. Since i didnt like the cigalike do you think itd be better to go for more vg? Ive vaped hemp oil before and it didnt taste good but it didnt make me heave. Also what do you think about temp control? What im finding is that temp control isnt very reliable in the cheaper vapes plus I could probably dial in a temperature that doesnt fry the cotton with a decent ohm value in VW.

Edit: I also think id do better with mouth to lung. Is it possible to get more of an MTL hit on an RDA if i bought a thin drip tip and cut off as much air to the coil as possible on a low wattage?

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I like temp control a lot.... on the affordable mod side for TC Smoant and Aspire are my personal favourites both solid all round performers with thier later chipsets, I’m yet to get a Voopoo mod but heard the gene chip is good also

I make my own coils though using SS316L
pre made SS coils tend to be a bit iffy with TC I find

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
DTL, or D2L (Direct-to-Lung) on high VG (70+, with only few exceptions─e.g. Pink Diamond by Medusa) and high enough (88W+) wattage is the only way for me. Everyone always talks about flavor, but for me it doesn't work that way because flavor, warmth, wetness, texture, ramp up, size, and density/saturation of the clouds all are equally important to me, and in fact one of my favorite analogies is that if you only focus on the flavor instead of also including the other factors you don't stand a single chance of becoming a reputable cook in a famous restaurant, either... that's just because you'll run out of customers in no time, as a lot of people also are interested in how it feels, not tastes─and besides, you said "all in" so... some food for thought IMO.

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
Since i didnt like the cigalike do you think itd be better to go for more vg? Ive vaped hemp oil before and it didnt taste good but it didnt make me heave. Also what do you think about temp control? What im finding is that temp control isnt very reliable in the cheaper vapes plus I could probably dial in a temperature that doesnt fry the cotton with a decent ohm value in VW.

I think high VG (70% or higher) is the only way to go. Just for gits and shiggles i tried an experiment with 100% PG and zero nicotine on a tobacco flavor... It did actually taste like a real cigarette even at 0 nic, did not make me cough but made my tongue sore as hell. Replicating my experiment, highly NOT recommended. :D

Get a cheap mod that supports ArcticFox firmware. Flash it, replacing the boring and limited stock one. Set temperature control mode to TFR for your wire. Turn on "PI-Reg". Set power to max (for near-instant warmup) and let temperature control do the magic. Be happy. That's pretty much how it went for me once i built my first SS316 coil. Sure i ended up tweaking a bunch of the settings and you will do too once you get familiar with it, but the initial ones are still much, much better than the stock firmware of the cheap Chinese mods.

Temperature control has the huge advantage of not burning out the wick if you start running out of juice and not notice it - it will deliver a lot less vapor and you'll figure it out before damaging the cotton (or whatever you use for a wick). But the ArcticFox firmware also has a lot of perks in wattage mode as well, such as the ability to set various types of preheat including user-definable power curves. I used that functionality to get a consistent vape in power mode when using Kanthal coils, but TC is still better.

I can only vouch for SS316 wire as that's what i found locally, but it has been great for me so far. I buy a lot of stuff on ebay but when i bought my mods and wire i just did not feel like waiting any, and one of the guys working at the vape shop closest to me, goes to the same bar as I do, we'd chatted before and i felt pretty good going by his recommendations. So far, he's sold me good stuff, so i keep buying from that shop. He's using a squonk mod btw, but I do not feel like I really need to go that route. Yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. My order for the Vandy Vape Pulse 80w + Pulse 24 RDA + 26g kenthal wire is on the way as well as some 100% VG kind juice peach flavor. I wanted a DNA chip for TC but didnt want to drop the extra money on a starting vape so if all goes well ill find a 150~ dorra squonker with a high watt DNA chip. I really think this will help me kick the tobacco unlike those crappy cigalikes. Thanks again errbody.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks kingpin. Ive considered what you said about old juice so ive been mainly looking at regulated squonks. Since i didnt like the cigalike do you think itd be better to go for more vg? Ive vaped hemp oil before and it didnt taste good but it didnt make me heave. Also what do you think about temp control? What im finding is that temp control isnt very reliable in the cheaper vapes plus I could probably dial in a temperature that doesnt fry the cotton with a decent ohm value in VW.

Edit: I also think id do better with mouth to lung. Is it possible to get more of an MTL hit on an RDA if i bought a thin drip tip and cut off as much air to the coil as possible on a low wattage?

Didn’t see the edit earlier sorry ...you can get a MTL dedicated RDA, the VandyVape Berserker or LeConcorde are just two for instance, only need about 15-20w with a 0.7ohm coil or above, some attys out there aren’t really meant for super tight draws although anything with adjustable airflow can be tightened right up :)

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Thanks for the input guys. My order for the Vandy Vape Pulse 80w + Pulse 24 RDA + 26g kenthal wire is on the way as well as some 100% VG kind juice peach flavor. I wanted a DNA chip for TC but didnt want to drop the extra money on a starting vape so if all goes well ill find a 150~ dorra squonker with a high watt DNA chip. I really think this will help me kick the tobacco unlike those crappy cigalikes. Thanks again errbody.

Out of the skillet and into the fire. You sir are going to have some fun.

Oh darn I only saw the RTA version of the berserker. If i got a tighter drip tip and cut off the airflow do you think i could get a similar MTL effect from the pulse? If not ill just order the berserker in a couple weeks no harm done. I just cant really smoke with this diet and workout and i need that nic.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Oh darn I only saw the RTA version of the berserker. If i got a tighter drip tip and cut off the airflow do you think i could get a similar MTL effect from the pulse? If not ill just order the berserker in a couple weeks no harm done. I just cant really smoke with this diet and workout and i need that nic.

You might consider some of the JUUL devices or Joyetech Penguins.

Honestly this ^^^^ is darn good advice to begin - then move on to the big boy stuff. I don't know much about the Penguins aside from what I've read on VU (mainly good stuff ) but the Juul will definitely give you the closest thing to a smoking experience as there is

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

Doubtful mate although give it a try ...you might like it that way on the pulse and save yourself some green :)

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
If you will be mixing your own juice, I have found that if you go light on the flavoring, less than 6%, you will feel the nicotine "burn" even with high VG liquids. This may help reduce the cigarette cravings.

jwill

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
If you will be mixing your own juice, I have found that if you go light on the flavoring, less than 6%, you will feel the nicotine "burn" even with high VG liquids. This may help reduce the cigarette cravings.

I vape unflavored 100% VG nicotine base at 6mg pretty regularly and never have had this happen, literally not once with any of the bases either bought pre mixed or self mixed. Sounds like something might be up with your base.

I smoke some really strong unfiltered tobacco and roll it in hemp paper up to 10 smokes a day so i ordered 12mg 100%vg. If it turns out to be too strong im thinking i can get 0% of the same flavor and dilute it down a bit.

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
I vape 75/25 vg/pg and i like my vape a bit hot, maybe that is why i feel the nicotine more. There is definitely no burn if i vape just base by itself, i do that from time to time to figure out if i need to change the wick.

To OP: 12mg/ml on sub ohm is pretty high, but since you are smoking strong tobacco it could be a good start. What drove me away from the stinkies is vaping 5-10 good puffs then lighting up a cigarette a few minutes later. You won't feel nicotine because you already have it in your body from the vape, just the bad taste and harshness of tobacco. You may not even desire to finish the cig. :)

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You should try a Griffin RTA. You can find them really cheap now a days. It was my first RTA and is still my favorite. I get a perfect draw on them and flavor is awesome.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried ecigs a little but nothing serious. I ended up taking it apart and stuffing the tube with tobacco. When I started vaping on mod and atomizer that is when I quit smoking but for the first week I did cough but less after 2 or 3 days. 12mg is way too much for sub ohm. 6mg is what smokers should start at. I started at 6mg but you can vape too much nic and make yourself sick. 3mg I can vape all I want. The mg is per a ML where a pack of cigarettes is typically 16-18mg for the whole pack. The difference of using 3mg is you're just going to vape more to get the nic your body wants. There is no such thing as organic ejuice b/c sweetener is sucrose and flavors are not natural either.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Getting the farthest thing away from a smoking experience as there is (within a still reasonable budget anyway) has caused me to stop smoking the same moment I picked up vaping by starting at 80 watts and bumping it to 90 watts only a week after that, and, if I had chosen to get the closest thing to a smoking experience as there is, I would now still be smoking thinking vaping is not for me. I never actually even vaped on anything but RDAs... I understand the vast majority of people don't like the inconvenience of building advanced coils and dripping, but personally I liked it better than the inconvenience of struggling for months trying to quit smoking running the high risk of potentially failing to quit smoking so... I don't want to point any fingers, but I'll still add that I'm glad I skipped all this tank bullshit and the bullshit talk that─often typically─surrounds all this tank bullshit. :)

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
I12mg is way too much for sub ohm. 6mg is what smokers should start at. I started at 6mg but you can vape too much nic and make yourself sick. 3mg I can vape all I want. The mg is per a ML where a pack of cigarettes is typically 16-18mg for the whole pack. The difference of using 3mg is you're just going to vape more to get the nic your body wants. There is no such thing as organic ejuice b/c sweetener is sucrose and flavors are not natural either.

I started at 6mg on my second mod too, but on the Penguin i used to vape 9mg, and that was not too much since that device has a fairly restricted airflow and small diameter coils, despite being sub ohm. 12mg did give me a headache fairly quickly though, but it could have just been crap liquid, as i was just starting out and didn't know much about vape liquid brands.

It's not necessarily a rule that 12mg on a sub ohm coil will make you sick. If you dial down the power and adjust the airflow, and vape MTL (mouth-to-lung, just like smoking), you may find that 12mg is a good start for you. If it makes you nauseous, you can always cut it down. It is when you get into puffing those impressive clouds of haze that you will need to reduce the nicotine level so you don't get sick. :D

Getting the farthest thing away from a smoking experience as there is (within a still reasonable budget anyway) has caused me to stop smoking the same moment I picked up vaping by starting at 80 watts and bumping it to 90 watts only a week after that, and, if I had chosen to get the closest thing to a smoking experience as there is, I would now still be smoking thinking vaping is not for me.

This is an interesting point of view and one that is worth taking into consideration. I did indeed get more and more into vaping and less and less thinking about a cigarette as i bumped up the power, too. A 80W mod is still enough for me, with my current coil build i need to vape near a window if i'm indoors, else i'll cloud the room rather quickly. :cool:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is an interesting point of view and one that is worth taking into consideration. I did indeed get more and more into vaping and less and less thinking about a cigarette as i bumped up the power, too. A 80W mod is still enough for me, with my current coil build i need to vape near a window if i'm indoors, else i'll cloud the room rather quickly. :cool:
Not everyone likes high watts. But nevertheless I noticed there is some kind of lame conspiracy going on against high watts with pitiful exclamations from the likes of "that simply cannot be good for you" and "you are lying when you say you would rather keep smoking than get used to blowing smaller clouds", or even "you are doing the vaping community a disservice by blowing such huge clouds" so to those who make those kinds of lowly remarks, I'll say fuck you, get cancer, and get cancer yesterday.

So my batteries came in and are on the charger. My vape came with an 18650 battery adapter could anyone tell me if its supposed to go on the positive or negative terminal... or if it even matters? Thanks!

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
So my batteries came in and are on the charger. My vape came with an 18650 battery adapter could anyone tell me if its supposed to go on the positive or negative terminal... or if it even matters? Thanks!

Instructions and google are your friend ;)

98EE3B57-2ADD-4AFB-8AA7-2DA4E5C6A6DD.jpeg

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unless an adapter has venting it should always go one negative side of battery

+1 to team vape. The first hit was harsh but tolerable. Started activating the coil then blowing over it to get the wick saturated. Now its buttery smooth. I was worried 12mg nic wouldnt be strong enough but its knocking my socks off! Glad i decided to give vaping another try. Thx again fellas and lady.

Th3_uN1Qu3

Member For 1 Year
That is really nice to hear. You can always dillute the solution if the nicotine is too strong. Which reminds me that i need to drop by the vape shop as i am out of VG base.

VU Sponsors