Become a Patron!

Hello, 36 days cigarette free and frustrated!

Mrs.Opus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello and I hope after reading my story/rant someone can advise!

I had my last cigarette Dec. 9 at 3:45 pm. Since then, according to my installed apps, I have not smoked 900 cigarettes that would amount to $261.00!

Great right? Except I've spent $362 since I started vaping! I won't even break even for another 14 days.

Vaping is a tank, juice, a battery and coil +replacements, right? Wrong. When my ego (twist) quit holding a charge for more than an hour I hit a local vape shop for a replacement. Here's the newest and greatest thing, the Kanger Subvod! Best flavor around for a pen style ecig. $49.99. Ok, I'll bite, give me a small bottle of apple ejuice and an extra coil also. Vape along for a week (this uses a LOT of juice) until coil quits. Good thing I got an extra. That one lasted exactly 1 day.

Shop that extra coil came from isn't open. Find another one. Can you help with this? This is all burnt and it uses SO MUCH JUICE! Shop owner to his employee...*snicker* can you believe someone sold her this? *snicker/laugh* I'd never sell you junk like this. Sells me the exact same coil for $5. Come back and see us!

Quickly finds out Subvod has a crap battery life and drinks juice like crazy (60+ mls so far). Go back to my most trusted vape shop in another state while visiting. I buy an eLeaf istick as a primary source because the eGo is dead, and the Kanger won't last until lunch ( did I mention that it's thirsty?) Shop owner says it's the .5 coil.....why are you sub ohming? Huh?? What's that? I just want to do this instead of smoke cigarettes? He doesn't have a coil that he thinks will work but offers the idea as a solution.

Fast forward to Sunday.....must find a different coil for Subvod. Go to ANOTHER vape shop. Make my way through the clouds to the counter. Do you have a different coil for this? It won't work with another coil says surfer sounding dude. This is what you need, this is what we use for alllllllllll of our testers here.....see? $26.50 tank with an extra coil. Good news! The replacement coil that I had to use tonight isn't the 1.8 that came installed.....it's a 0.2!! Woohoo, another juice drinker!

Moral of long story......do not be gullible and fall for anything these people try to sell you. It's extremely hard to educate yourself in this because unless you know what GRB, XYZ, QDY, etc means then you won't know coil resistance from volts & wattage. Throw in the juices, coils, another tank and I'm just disheartened.

If you own one of these shops, please be practical and sell your customers what will suit them best! I promise they will return. I have yet to find more than one that I will ever step foot in again. Everyone that walks through your door isn't chasing some cloud or dragon, some just simply want to quit smoking and do it without all the crap. Ditch the "sub-ohm" gear until someone asks for it. I feel ripped off by a minimum of three shops, openly laughed at in one of those.

Looking forward to comments from anyone who's experienced anything similar.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to the VU. Your story's not uncommon. Most shops don't have a clue and are not helpful. Any questions you may have are best asked here. While we all may have different options there usually full of helpful info.

Just quitting cigs you would be best suited to MTL (mouth to lung) and something like the Nautilus mini should have been suggested not a sub ohm tank.

As far as batteries go, you always need two. One to vape while one is charging. Others will disagree but I always suggest a box mod with replaceable batteries. but you will need 2 batteries (Samsung, LG or Sony only) and a charger. I use Liionwholesale.com 2 Samsung 25R,s and a I2 charger about $25.00 Yea I know more money but keep it in mind for latter. For now I think you would be happier with the tank I suggested on the battery you have. Check the owners manual and see if the battery you have supports pass through.(vaping while charging)

Before you do anything ask a lot of questions. For many of us this has become a hobby and we sometimes go overboard but we like to help.

I know spending money up front sucks but over time you will save.

Last edited:

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just got in an argument with some tatted up 15$ a 30ml juice pushing "artisan". And for some reason he thought it funny i had a job. But i'm glad your bad experiences haven't turned you away from vaping. Try to buy online it's alot cheaper and if you need advice people here are happy to help. Jw what tanks do you have now?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello and I hope after reading my story/rant someone can advise!

I had my last cigarette Dec. 9 at 3:45 pm. Since then, according to my installed apps, I have not smoked 900 cigarettes that would amount to $261.00!

Great right? Except I've spent $362 since I started vaping! I won't even break even for another 14 days.

Vaping is a tank, juice, a battery and coil +replacements, right? Wrong. When my ego (twist) quit holding a charge for more than an hour I hit a local vape shop for a replacement. Here's the newest and greatest thing, the Kanger Subvod! Best flavor around for a pen style ecig. $49.99. Ok, I'll bite, give me a small bottle of apple ejuice and an extra coil also. Vape along for a week (this uses a LOT of juice) until coil quits. Good thing I got an extra. That one lasted exactly 1 day.

Shop that extra coil came from isn't open. Find another one. Can you help with this? This is all burnt and it uses SO MUCH JUICE! Shop owner to his employee...*snicker* can you believe someone sold her this? *snicker/laugh* I'd never sell you junk like this. Sells me the exact same coil for $5. Come back and see us!

Quickly finds out Subvod has a crap battery life and drinks juice like crazy (60+ mls so far). Go back to my most trusted vape shop in another state while visiting. I buy an eLeaf istick as a primary source because the eGo is dead, and the Kanger won't last until lunch ( did I mention that it's thirsty?) Shop owner says it's the .5 coil.....why are you sub ohming? Huh?? What's that? I just want to do this instead of smoke cigarettes? He doesn't have a coil that he thinks will work but offers the idea as a solution.

Fast forward to Sunday.....must find a different coil for Subvod. Go to ANOTHER vape shop. Make my way through the clouds to the counter. Do you have a different coil for this? It won't work with another coil says surfer sounding dude. This is what you need, this is what we use for alllllllllll of our testers here.....see? $26.50 tank with an extra coil. Good news! The replacement coil that I had to use tonight isn't the 1.8 that came installed.....it's a 0.2!! Woohoo, another juice drinker!

Moral of long story......do not be gullible and fall for anything these people try to sell you. It's extremely hard to educate yourself in this because unless you know what GRB, XYZ, QDY, etc means then you won't know coil resistance from volts & wattage. Throw in the juices, coils, another tank and I'm just disheartened.

If you own one of these shops, please be practical and sell your customers what will suit them best! I promise they will return. I have yet to find more than one that I will ever step foot in again. Everyone that walks through your door isn't chasing some cloud or dragon, some just simply want to quit smoking and do it without all the crap. Ditch the "sub-ohm" gear until someone asks for it. I feel ripped off by a minimum of three shops, openly laughed at in one of those.

Looking forward to comments from anyone who's experienced anything similar.
Well I'm sorry, but unfortunately not surprised to hear this. The recurring theme around here seems to be that about 80 percent of the brick-and-mortar stores are working overtime to make the other 20 percent look bad.

Welcome to the Underground - we'll be glad to help you figure out all those goofy acronyms and dial in your setup to do what you)(and most of us here) wanted to do in the first place - quit smoking!

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Wow, really sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad you found us, though. We're here to help and have tons of useful info just for browsing, too. You're in good hands here.

Welcome. :)

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the VU
Glad you are smoke free.
Hope we can all help you with your needs here on the forum

Mrs.Opus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the VU. Your story's not uncommon. Most shops don't have a clue and are not helpful. Any questions you may have are best asked here. While we all may have different options there usually full of helpful info.

Just quitting cigs you would be best suited to MTL (mouth to lung) and something like the Nautilus mini should have been suggested not a sub ohm tank.

As far as batteries go, you always need two. One to vape while one is charging. Others will disagree but I always suggest a box mod with replaceable batteries. but you will need 2 batteries (Samsung, LG or Sony only) and a charger. I use Liionwholesale.com 2 Samsung 25R,s and a I2 charger about $25.00 Yea I know more money but keep it in mind for latter. For now I think you would be happier with the tank I suggested on the battery you have. Check the owners manual and see if the battery you have supports pass through.(vaping while charging)

Before you do anything ask a lot of questions. For many of us this has become a hobby and we sometimes go overboard but we like to help.

I know spending money up front sucks but over time you will save.

Thanks for the help! I DID buy a Nautilus Mini yesterday and it will work on both batteries. Hopefully this will help solve the juice problem. I think in 36 days I've bought over 120 mls. I ordered some online so I should be good with that for a while. I wish that had been suggested in the first place by the sales staff.

Mrs.Opus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just got in an argument with some tatted up 15$ a 30ml juice pushing "artisan". And for some reason he thought it funny i had a job. But i'm glad your bad experiences haven't turned you away from vaping. Try to buy online it's alot cheaper and if you need advice people here are happy to help. Jw what tanks do you have now?
I have the Subvod, a Herakles Hydra and the Nautilus Mini I ended up with yesterday.

Mrs.Opus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well I'm sorry, but unfortunately not surprised to hear this. The recurring theme around here seems to be that about 80 percent of the brick-and-mortar stores are working overtime to make the other 20 percent look bad.

Welcome to the Underground - we'll be glad to help you figure out all those goofy acronyms and dial in your setup to do what you)(and most of us here) wanted to do in the first place - quit smoking!

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone
Thanks! As a small business owner myself I would rather support a brick and mortar store but good grief, I simply don't trust the ones I've been to.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have the Subvod, a Herakles Hydra and the Nautilus Mini I ended up with yesterday.
Wow they really threw everything at you but the kitchen sink. But the nautilus mini is a great starter tank had mine for a yr before i upgraded. Here's a link to some cheap coils from a reputable seller ] https://m.fasttech.com/p/1807906 I know i wouldnt want to give any of those places my biz again. Also fastech gives free shipping over 20$ and shipping can be slow there in China but worth it for the prices they offer.

Last edited:

Mrs.Opus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow they really threw everything at you but the kitchen sink. But the nautilus mini is a great starter tank had mine for a yr before i upgraded. Here's a link to some cheap coils from a reputable seller https://m.fasttech.com/p/1859405 . I know i wouldnt want to give any of those places my biz again. Also fastech gives free shipping over 20$ and shipping can be slow there in China but worth it for the prices they offer.
Funny you should mention that, I have some coils for the hydra on order as we speak from FastTech. Good thing too because the 0.2 I put in it last night has shorted out already. Or I assume it has, my mod has a message that says "atomizer short" and it won't work. I'm using the Nautilus now.

"mod" is that the right term? It's a square battery with three buttons :) eLeaf 30w.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Funny you should mention that, I have some coils for the hydra on order as we speak from FastTech. Good thing too because the 0.2 I put in it last night has shorted out already. Or I assume it has, my mod has a message that says "atomizer short" and it won't work. I'm using the Nautilus now.

"mod" is that the right term? It's a square battery with three buttons :) eLeaf 30w.
The eleaf 30 is also a nice little mod alot of people had problems with the 50w though. Also im sorry i posted the wrong coils earlier here's the right one https://m.fasttech.com/p/1807906

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
mod is the correct term. The 0.2 coil is probably too low of a resistance for the eleaf and it would see it as a short. Be aware that If you order from China sometimes the shipping is quick but sometimes it takes weeks.

Mrs.Opus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great, thank you! I've been watching the tracking and it does look like it may take a while. The prices are wonderful though!

Thank you all again for your assistance! Looking forward to reading up on the forum topics.

Mrs.Opus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, I need help with this Nautilus!!

Two issues: One, the rubber gasket that is on the bottom is very very tight and I have to apply an unusual amount of pressure to close it.

Two, and most problematic, the coil stays stuck inside the tank when I unscrew the bottom to refill!! It first did this the first day I used it. I had to get pliers to get it out to screw it back into the base. I didn't use it much throughout the week because that happens and it's really hard to close! Can't believe the glass tank hasn't broken under the pressure. So Friday I put in a new coil because it's leaking and gurgling (not enough usage I don't think to burn out but I change it anyway. Works beautifully until last night. I open it to refill and the coil is stuck again. I unscrew it with pliers because nothing else will remove it. I get the tank filled and put back together and I can't draw one bit of air through this thing. Take apart and repeat, same thing. Take the coil apart from the bottom and there is liquid all in the hole that the coil screws into. I clean that out with a qtip, reassemble and I can get air but no vapor at all. It's just not working, the air is very tight and there is not power connection.

This is a known problem to the maker because it says in the users manual if the coil remains stuck in the upper chamber to remove it and replace it in the bottom. I watched a youtube video of refilling and the amount of pressure to close the tank wasn't nearly the same. If it's ruining a coil every time it gets stuck then that will be a regular happening and become very expensive. It's unusable now as it is and I don't have another coil.

I'm using an older Smok clearomizer that I've had before any of these other tanks. It's the most reliable thing I have at this point. It does the job but the flavor isn't there as it is with the others. Is the Nautilus defective? If I drop yet another $25/$30 on another one is there any guarantee that it won't be the same way? *heavy sigh*

Thank goodness it's freezing outside or I may be out there puffing on the real thing. :(

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey guys, I need help with this Nautilus!!

Two issues: One, the rubber gasket that is on the bottom is very very tight and I have to apply an unusual amount of pressure to close it.

Two, and most problematic, the coil stays stuck inside the tank when I unscrew the bottom to refill!! It first did this the first day I used it. I had to get pliers to get it out to screw it back into the base. I didn't use it much throughout the week because that happens and it's really hard to close! Can't believe the glass tank hasn't broken under the pressure. So Friday I put in a new coil because it's leaking and gurgling (not enough usage I don't think to burn out but I change it anyway. Works beautifully until last night. I open it to refill and the coil is stuck again. I unscrew it with pliers because nothing else will remove it. I get the tank filled and put back together and I can't draw one bit of air through this thing. Take apart and repeat, same thing. Take the coil apart from the bottom and there is liquid all in the hole that the coil screws into. I clean that out with a qtip, reassemble and I can get air but no vapor at all. It's just not working, the air is very tight and there is not power connection.

This is a known problem to the maker because it says in the users manual if the coil remains stuck in the upper chamber to remove it and replace it in the bottom. I watched a youtube video of refilling and the amount of pressure to close the tank wasn't nearly the same. If it's ruining a coil every time it gets stuck then that will be a regular happening and become very expensive. It's unusable now as it is and I don't have another coil.

I'm using an older Smok clearomizer that I've had before any of these other tanks. It's the most reliable thing I have at this point. It does the job but the flavor isn't there as it is with the others. Is the Nautilus defective? If I drop yet another $25/$30 on another one is there any guarantee that it won't be the same way? *heavy sigh*

Thank goodness it's freezing outside or I may be out there puffing on the real thing. :(
Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this! I know how frustrating it is. I have a tank that uses those coils and I'm experiencing much the same. I'd rather see you get something else than smoke, though, but I would also hate to see you throw $30 at another and not like it. There are some good mouth to lung tanks with the tighter draw that you like. I'm a mouth to lung vaper, too, and some I like are:

Eleaf GS (adjustable air flow)
Protank 2 (not adjustable, but has a tighter draw)
Kanger Subtank Nano (adjustable air flow)
and I have a couple sub ohm tanks that I don't mind fiddling with.

I hear good things about the Hurricane tank, but I don't have one of those. I hope someone has better solutions for you on the Nautilus itself, though. I'm staying tuned, because I have that with a different tank, same coil.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Before you buy something else try for the rubber ring to coat it with a little juice before to lube it up. That should help it slide in better also after you screw it down it will usually slide in more on it's own. You really shouldn't have to force it down and thats probably why the coil is getting stuck in the top half. Also when you screw the coil into you base make sure it's snug and free of juice. Might sound like a lot but once you get it down shouldn't be a problem. Also it being winter if you've left it outside that will make the rubber stiffen up and make it alot harder to screw down also it kinda needs a break in time so the more you use it the easier it gets.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Mrs.Opus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the help, I'll try lubing the gasket and I'll try one more coil with this. If it happens again I'm just giving up. This shouldn't be so difficult and I really feel like I'm doing something wrong. I haven't left it out in the cold, also, I'm in Florida so freezing to me is 40 degrees :)

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for the help, I'll try lubing the gasket and I'll try one more coil with this. If it happens again I'm just giving up. This shouldn't be so difficult and I really feel like I'm doing something wrong. I haven't left it out in the cold, also, I'm in Florida so freezing to me is 40 degrees :)
Ya just make sure when you put the coil in the base its snug and when screwing the base to the top half tighten slightly.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
everybody here whose vaped for over a year has a shoebox of crap they will never use again....at least a shoebox full...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yeah, I don't have a lot of stuff I don't use. I PIF'd most of it, some of it stopped working.

Mrs.Opus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I don't have a lot of stuff I don't use. I PIF'd most of it, some of it stopped working.
Went back into vape shop today with the broken Nautilus (not the same place I bought it) and the threading that the coil screws into was stripped and it had the wrong bottom. Maybe it wasn't authentic, definitely defective. Bought a replacement. This one closes much easier and the coil hasn't gotten stuck in the upper chamber. Crossing fingers.

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I feel your pain. I have so much crap that I bought for WAY too much when I first started vaping. I shudder to think of how much I've spent but now I have several mods and a couple mechs that a use all the time and I can see the savings. Given that I haven't bought a pack of cigarettes in well over a month (or so?).

Bugley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry about what's happened to you! I spent a lot when I started vaping, I couldn't help myself, it was a bad case of Shinitus. There isn't a cure but it does get better with time. The last thing I got was a Kanger Nano subtank in pink - really, why? Anyway good luck and stick with it

LWill5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good morning from CT.

Wow, after reading your story, I have to say that I am so grateful that I found a wonderful b&m shop! We've stopped at other shops in our area and all have paled in comparison when it comes to customer service.

VU Sponsors