Become a Patron!

Hello all, yet another newbie

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I've been vaping about 2-3 months, started with an iStick 30, now have a 50 watt as well, a couple Nautilus tanks, a Smok micro GDC and a Kanger SubTank. I've been thinking of trying dripping and joined up to see what everyone recommends. I still need to explore some more high end juices, but VapeWild and MBV have a lot of options I haven't tried yet, and I'm cheap, lol.

A little about me, I'm a 33 year old that has spent my life involved in some kind of racing, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, hull or wings. I also do my own fab and engine building, basically whatever I need to do. My motto is "fucking fast is too damn slow..." Maybe I'm a little crazy, but my friends find me amusing and I always have fun. Nice to be here, maybe I'll meet some of ya'll in person sometime. Have fun and happy vaping!

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome ! Hope you didn't get flooded bad with all that rain I saw on the news that Texas got !

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you all.

Welcome ! Hope you didn't get flooded bad with all that rain I saw on the news that Texas got !

@Breazy_Com I'm still here. Luckily on a hill. I did have to break out the off road toy to get to town once, within 2 miles of my house, every road had at least one low spot with 3-7' of water over it.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow ! Glad your ok ! Have a Great Day !

Lol, I live in the sticks so any heavy rain gets us some flooding. All these little winding roads that the county is too cheap to put bridges on... I guess that will change since they are about to build an amusement park just down the road from me that will put Disney World to shame.

Have a good one yourself.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I've been vaping about 2-3 months, started with an iStick 30, now have a 50 watt as well, a couple Nautilus tanks, a Smok micro GDC and a Kanger SubTank. I've been thinking of trying dripping and joined up to see what everyone recommends. I still need to explore some more high end juices, but VapeWild and MBV have a lot of options I haven't tried yet, and I'm cheap, lol.

A little about me, I'm a 33 year old that has spent my life involved in some kind of racing, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, hull or wings. I also do my own fab and engine building, basically whatever I need to do. My motto is "fucking fast is too damn slow..." Maybe I'm a little crazy, but my friends find me amusing and I always have fun. Nice to be here, maybe I'll meet some of ya'll in person sometime. Have fun and happy vaping!
I love my GDC with a 1.5 ohm Micro Core A coil and 80VG/ 20PG juice at 3.3 volts on my Mini Provari.
As for a dripper, the Paradigm Magma is a casual place to start. Two posts, deep well, great for mouth to lung (not a huge cloudmaker...that can happen later. Big screws, easy to work with. $25 for an Infinite clone (1:1, indistinguishable from the authentic).

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love my GDC with a 1.5 ohm Micro Core A coil and 80VG/ 20PG juice at 3.3 volts on my Mini Provari.
As for a dripper, the Paradigm Magma is a casual place to start. Two posts, deep well, great for mouth to lung (not a huge cloudmaker...that can happen later. Big screws, easy to work with. $25 for an Infinite clone (1:1, indistinguishable from the authentic).

My only problem with the Smok is that the last time I took it apart to clean it, a seal got nicked and its leaking. I can't find anything but coils locally, and several sites I've checked don't show seals. I haven't messes with it too much because I picked up the SubTank and started learning it. I need to get it going right again.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My only problem with the Smok is that the last time I took it apart to clean it, a seal got nicked and its leaking. I can't find anything but coils locally, and several sites I've checked don't show seals. I haven't messes with it too much because I picked up the SubTank and started learning it. I need to get it going right again.
Takes a lot of time to be messing with all this stuff...
An O ring might work in place of the original seal.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Takes a lot of time to be messing with all this stuff...
An O ring might work in place of the original seal.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll have to see what I can figure out. It's a nice atty, i just wish there was more local support for it. Vixen Vapor's carries them and the coils, but that's it.

I've been thinking of the Magma rda. Also the derringer. I guess I'll have to get both!

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
EBay has an EHPro clone Derringer for $10 total. I bought one and am impressed with the quality. As for a Magma, I have two Infinite clones and one no-name clone. The no-name actually works fine.
For the Derringer deal, paste "
Derringer Rebuildable RDA RBA Stainless Brass Black Copper turbo tobh atomizer" into your eBay search.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you Woodsman, I'll check that out.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Out of curiosity, do you know if the micro GDC is supposed to have seals on both sides of the glass tank? Mine has a seal glued to one end of the glass, but nothing on the other side. I put it on the bottom and the top leaked so I just re-did it with the seal on the top. Awaiting results now, lol. When I took it apart for a good cleaning, we had to make an emergency run to the vet, so I didnt get back to it for a while. I don't think I lost anything, but my girlfriend has cats so you never know what may have been claimed by a furball.

JerryC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Howdy Some Texan from a neighbor to your north (an Okie). I enjoy my Kanger, I've even been rebuilding the OCCs. I have a couple drippers and as a flavor chaser I can tell ya the Freakshow and Freakshow Mini are each great for flavor.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you Jerry. I've been looking at those as well. so many choices, I just need to start ordering.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Out of curiosity, do you know if the micro GDC is supposed to have seals on both sides of the glass tank? Mine has a seal glued to one end of the glass, but nothing on the other side. I put it on the bottom and the top leaked so I just re-did it with the seal on the top. Awaiting results now, lol. When I took it apart for a good cleaning, we had to make an emergency run to the vet, so I didnt get back to it for a while. I don't think I lost anything, but my girlfriend has cats so you never know what may have been claimed by a furball.
Yes...the GDC has a seal at each end of the glass tank...identical seals. You might have luck finding O rings in the small bins at a hardware store or at an auto parts store. Something is bound to match up. Also, the seal is not glued on...it will peel away easily.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes...the GDC has a seal at each end of the glass tank...identical seals. You might have luck finding O rings in the small bins at a hardware store or at an auto parts store. Something is bound to match up. Also, the seal is not glued on...it will peel away easily.

Well, that would make sense. I guess I'll have to go on an o-ring hunt. I did pick at the other seal, it seemed pretty well stuck on the glass. I didn't mess with it too much though. Thanks for your help.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, that would make sense. I guess I'll have to go on an o-ring hunt. I did pick at the other seal, it seemed pretty well stuck on the glass. I didn't mess with it too much though. Thanks for your help.
Good luck. Yeah, those hardware store little drawers have Stainless screws if you ever want to replace Allen screws or need replacement screws. And...who knows? Maybe something will click and you'll invent a new RDA!!

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol, the rda will have to wait until I get a mill and a lathe set up. I've also got a decent assortment of small screws and stuff from my r/c hobbies. I've got a pretty good assortment of small tools too. I learned with r/c cars, a good set of hex drivers will change your life.

Oh yea, I've got farm supply places around me. They have awesome selections of seals and o-rings... Nuts, bolts, fittings, just about anything.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol, the rda will have to wait until I get a mill and a lathe set up. I've also got a decent assortment of small screws and stuff from my r/c hobbies. I've got a pretty good assortment of small tools too. I learned with r/c cars, a good set of hex drivers will change your life.

Oh yea, I've got farm supply places around me. They have awesome selections of seals and o-rings... Nuts, bolts, fittings, just about anything.
I'll be looking for the authentic SOMETEXAN RDA on the market in the near future. I'm planning to name mine THE WOODSMAN RDA.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I got seals for my Smok today and got it back up and running. I forgot how nice this thing is. Great flavor, probably better than the Nautilus. Flows a little more air than the Nautilus as well. Clouds aren't as big, but i could care less about clouds. I'm very glad to have this one back in the rotation.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I got seals for my Smok today and got it back up and running. I forgot how nice this thing is. Great flavor, probably better than the Nautilus. Flows a little more air than the Nautilus as well. Clouds aren't as big, but i could care less about clouds. I'm very glad to have this one back in the rotation.
If your happy that is all that counts. I have built so many coils, I have to use the one I like best for each Atty. I have a 2 ohm that blows some nice clouds. I'm always trying to impress myself. I like it when it looks like a Train a mile ahead. Clouds are fun.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If your happy that is all that counts. I have built so many coils, I have to use the one I like best for each Atty. I have a 2 ohm that blows some nice clouds. I'm always trying to impress myself. I like it when it looks like a Train a mile ahead. Clouds are fun.
True, the clouds can be fun. I am getting more from it with a little tinkering on the wattage. I don't think they offer a rebuildable atomizer for this tank, Micro GDC. I do have a derringer clone that just got here, so I will soon be playing with coils myself.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True, the clouds can be fun. I am getting more from it with a little tinkering on the wattage. I don't think they offer a rebuildable atomizer for this tank, Micro GDC. I do have a derringer clone that just got here, so I will soon be playing with coils myself.
I use Cello Scoppes, An Volt Meters, & stuff. :cool: Has a 3000 watt I Phone. It has a drill attachment to twist Kanthal.
And if you believe that,,,

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cello Scoppes?

I just found out my 18 year old Snap-On ohm meter crapped out on me, so I will get a 510 threaded ohm tester in the next couple days. I still need kanthal and cotton, so I'm not going to jump into dripping tonight.

I've got drills and a drill press, just about any tool I need...

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cello Scoppes?

I just found out my 18 year old Snap-On ohm meter crapped out on me, so I will get a 510 threaded ohm tester in the next couple days. I still need kanthal and cotton, so I'm not going to jump into dripping tonight.

Some of them Snap-On guys get unstable when something fails, & they have to exchange it.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh here we go, Disco music coming thru my house. I'll fix that. Got to let the dog out, too loud for her. Bose & Kicker is better than that blue pill as far as I can tell. 12,000 watts don't hurt either. :p

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm enjoying my GDC with a 1.5 ohm Micro Core-A coil at 3.3 volts on my Provari Mini (the ProVari Tank Ring allows the GDC to sit flush on the mod). I'm vaping 100%VG Velvet Cloud Melonomenon diluted 50/50 with 70/30 base to make 85VG/15PG juice.
Have you watched this YouTube about the GDC?

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The GDC is a good around town vape. I wear carpenter pants with the leg pocket for pencils and rulers...the Provari/GDC rides nicely in this pocket.
And...the GDC is frugal on juice while delivering a decent vape. Wait until you get into RDAs and cloud chasing...then you'll see some juice disappear!!

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
80/20 vg/pg watermelon Champaign here, just got it from Vixen Vapors. They gave me the seals for free, so I had to buy something... It's pretty good. Mine is on the iStick 50w right now, they fit and look good together. As for the video, I'm going to check it out after I hit the post button.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cello Scoppes?

Now your life is about to get complicated...
As for Kanthal, I settled on 26 gauge because it won't lose its shape when you change the cotton. 24 gauge is a bit too stiff, and 28 gauge a bit too flexible. Lightning Vapes has about the best deal on Kanthal. Buy a hundred feet so you have plenty to waste.
Not sure if you have a VW mod...if so, your coil ohms are less important. If you're using a mechanical mod, then coil ohms are more important.
I'm vaping a 0.4 ohm coil on a Magma RDA at 7 watts and that feels about right. I used 24 gauge Kanthal, about nine wraps on a 3mm screwdriver.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
80/20 vg/pg watermelon Champaign here, just got it from Vixen Vapors. They gave me the seals for free, so I had to buy something... It's pretty good. Mine is on the iStick 50w right now, they fit and look good together. As for the video, I'm going to check it out after I hit the post button.
Okay, you have a VW device. If you can resist the lure of the mechanical mods, do so. I didn't, and I sort of regret it.
Plenty of wraps on a 3mm screwdriver will keep your ohms high. Higher ohms suck more volts, but that's okay.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The GDC is a good around town vape. I wear carpenter pants with the leg pocket for pencils and rulers...the Provari/GDC rides nicely in this pocket.
And...the GDC is frugal on juice while delivering a decent vape. Wait until you get into RDAs and cloud chasing...then you'll see some juice disappear!!

Yea, Wranglers don't have a whole lot of pocket room, but I always wear shirts with pockets... I use my iStick 30 for "out and about" stuff.

My SubTank mini eats up some juice, I can only imagine how much the rda will use. I got the derringer today, or rather a friend did. I don't do PayPal, so I had a friend order it. I don't know if I will ever get into cloud chasing. I have been a pipe and cigar smoker for a long time and got the smoke rings thing out of my system a long time ago. Flavor first, the rest will follow as it will.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea, Wranglers don't have a whole lot of pocket room, but I always wear shirts with pockets... I use my iStick 30 for "out and about" stuff.

My SubTank mini eats up some juice, I can only imagine how much the rda will use. I got the derringer today, or rather a friend did. I don't do PayPal, so I had a friend order it. I don't know if I will ever get into cloud chasing. I have been a pipe and cigar smoker for a long time and got the smoke rings thing out of my system a long time ago. Flavor first, the rest will follow as it will.
RDAs are more of a hobby. A lot of time can be invested in tinkering with them.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Okay, you have a VW device. If you can resist the lure of the mechanical mods, do so. I didn't, and I sort of regret it.
Plenty of wraps on a 3mm screwdriver will keep your ohms high. Higher ohms suck more volts, but that's okay.

I've been looking at temp control mods and nickel wire. And Ti... I've been looking at the snow wolf and the Tessla tc mods. A mech is in the works, but I think I will make my own. My TIG welder is calling for me to bring her some aluminum...

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
RDAs are more of a hobby. A lot of time can be invested in tinkering with them.

You should see my humidors and jars of pipe tobacco, a lot of time goes into them as well. But that is part of what is keeping me into vaping. I like being able to play with everything and try new stuff. I'll probably order quite a few rolls of wire, maybe some ribbon as well. I can see myself throwing a few grand at this and enjoying working on it.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been looking at temp control mods and nickel wire. And Ti... I've been looking at the snow wolf and the Tessla tc mods. A mech is in the works, but I think I will make my own. My TIG welder is calling for me to bring her some aluminum...
I went Temp Control then shifted over to mechanicals for awhile.
Not sure if temp control is really necessary. What I notice it does is it allows a jolt of high watts that drop back to lower watts as I'm vaping. I guess that's a good thing.
As for Ni200 wire, I just ordered tempered 26 gauge Ni200. I think it will work better than the standard, softer 28 gauge I've been using.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You should see my humidors and jars of pipe tobacco, a lot of time goes into them as well. But that is part of what is keeping me into vaping. I like being able to play with everything and try new stuff. I'll probably order quite a few rolls of wire, maybe some ribbon as well. I can see myself throwing a few grand at this and enjoying working on it.
A few grand? Heck, that would keep you in smokes for a year, at least!!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I played with compounds of Ferris & Non Ferris metals some. Used a Heath Kit scope & a Jap signal gen to look at wires. Way to precise for me. I just wind a coil & learn.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I went Temp Control then shifted over to mechanicals for awhile.
Not sure if temp control is really necessary. What I notice it does is it allows a jolt of high watts that drop back to lower watts as I'm vaping. I guess that's a good thing.
As for Ni200 wire, I just ordered tempered 26 gauge Ni200. I think it will work better than the standard, softer 28 gauge I've been using.
That's what I like about it. Big power to get to temp fast, then keep it at a pre set temp. Should be the best thing for flavor of adjusted correctly. Clouds too.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A few grand? Heck, that would keep you in smokes for a year, at least!!
I've got about 40 boxes of properly cared for, pre-embargo Cuban cigars... I kinda jump straight into the deep end... Between batteries, chargers, cotton, rayon, kanthal, diy juice supply's and all the other stuff I want, a couple grand my be a lowball number.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I played with compounds of Ferris & Non Ferris metals some. Used a Heath Kit scope & a Jap signal gen to look at wires. Way to precise for me. I just wind a coil & learn.
Sounds about right. Wind, test and repeat until it's what you want. Of course, there are some crazy coils out there, watching rip trippers on YouTube has me wanting to try some stuff out.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got about 40 boxes of properly cared for, pre-embargo Cuban cigars... I kinda jump straight into the deep end... Between batteries, chargers, cotton, rayon, kanthal, diy juice supply's and all the other stuff I want, a couple grand my be a lowball number.
Some keep it simple. Some, like me, do not. I had drawn the line at what I had, then became curious about what I had not. Curiosity costs more money. The non-curious do not explore beyond what works for them.
IF I were non-curious, I would satisfy myself with the following:
ONE Temp Control mod (the new Hana Modz with the flip-open battery door).
SEVERAL Efest 18650 batteries.
ONE authentic RDA (the Velocity, as it is Trippers' favorite).
ONE RTA (Lemo Drop is fine).
ONE spool 26 g tempered Ni200.
ONE bag Japanese organic cotton.
And, of course, my GDC and Provari Mini (with spare coils and 18350 batteries, and a charger).
I would spend my spare change on Velvet Cloud juices and not even bother with DIY.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unfortunately I'm a curious individual. I don't know if you have seen the model cars thread, but I have been known to tinker with the finest details for hours until they are perfect. For some demented reason, I call it enjoyable. I can see myself laboring over some oddball coil idea for hours. I think a temp control mod and a mech mod with my iSticks would be enough there. RDA's, rta's, and the other clearomizers on the other hand, I can see myself adding to my rotation every time something new comes out. Guess I'm cursed like that.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh yea, I vaped a whole tank through my gdc yesterday. I think I like it better than my nautilus tanks. I may need to pick up another one of these...

VU Sponsors