Become a Patron!

Hello from a newbie

Krabkakes95

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been looking at vapes for a few days. I ran out of cowboy killers today about an hour and a half before I had to head out to work. I decided to stop by a local vape shop and check it out. I ended up walking out the door with a Kanger Subox Mini and some local juice made by Hangover (the mimosa). I've been smoking it all night and I'm pretty well hooked now.

I was informed by the employee who sold me this Subox that I shouldn't smoke anything lower than 70/30. Is there anything I can replace to use a lower viscosity liquid? I tried some of the "Glacial Menthol" by midas and really liked it but he cautioned me from using it.

I've been smoking it with a .5 ohm coil at 35W.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great you joined our little part of the world. Vaping saved my life. Hang out & the more you do, the better you feel. I have to remind myself to cough once & a while just so I don't forget how. In a month or less you will ask yourself, I put that in my mouth & lit one end? Fuck that. Where's my Kanger, I feel like Orange Dream Bar. :cool:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mornin' J3. :D Head East, save my life goin' down for the last time. I could not breathe, That's why I'm here. Smoking fuckin' sucks.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome dude! congrats on putting down the smokes!

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the VU

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was informed by the employee who sold me this Subox that I shouldn't smoke anything lower than 70/30. Is there anything I can replace to use a lower viscosity liquid? I tried some of the "Glacial Menthol" by midas and really liked it but he cautioned me from using it.
Welcome to the Underground, Maybe that guys at your shop knows more than me, but on the very same setup my wife vapes 50/50 and hasn't had a single problem. Are you looking for a stronger throat hit? If the guy was maybe a little backwards than yeah I wouldn't put anything above a 70/30 in that tank youll more than likely get a dry hit.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Maybe he meant no thicker than 70vg/30pg im which case that would be correct. 50vg/50ph would be thinner and optimal I my opinion for that tank.

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe he meant no thicker than 70vg/30pg im which case that would be correct. 50vg/50ph would be thinner and optimal I my opinion for that tank.
That's what I was thinking, the lower viscosity statement is what got me.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The subox is a very very solid set up, should have 2 pre made coils and a rda deck with it.
Have no fear from running 60/40 pg vg. up to 100% vg.
The charger and battery will make or break the experience with it, do not rely on the on board charging only.

Batteries are cheap... reliable 20 amps from Liionwholesale, 101vape, and others that have a proven record of not selling counterfeit batteries.
Chargers min. a nitecore.

Juice you can find hellishly awesome deals, my suggestion is find inexpensive and get a sampler. One of my fav amazing juice for good pricing check out doodlebugs.

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can run 100%VG in this tank? Good to know, my wife wants to try some of my juice thats MAX and she was a little worried about wicking issues.

Krabkakes95

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

He said that if I smoke a lower viscosity than 70vg/30pg that it wouldn't vape properly and I'd end up with juice in my mouth. I made a post in the question section and they told me he didn't know what he was talking about so... yeah. Lol.

Krabkakes95

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The subox is a very very solid set up, should have 2 pre made coils and a rda deck with it.
The charger and battery will make or break the experience with it, do not rely on the on board charging only.

Batteries are cheap... reliable 20 amps from Liionwholesale, 101vape, and others that have a proven record of not selling counterfeit batteries.
Chargers min. a nitecore.

Juice you can find hellishly awesome deals, my suggestion is find inexpensive and get a sampler. One of my fav amazing juice for good pricing check out doodlebugs.

Yeah, it came with a 1.5 and a .5 coil along with an RDA with a coil already in it, a spare coil for the RDA and some cotton.

I didn't pick up a charger because he told me I could just charge it using the onboard charging system. However, I did some research and decided to buy a second battery and a charger.

I was thinking about picking up one of the subscription services for juice. I'll check out doodlebugs!

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
He said that if I smoke a lower viscosity than 70vg/30pg that it wouldn't vape properly and I'd end up with juice in my mouth. I made a post in the question section and they told me he didn't know what he was talking about so... yeah. Lol.
You can go lower, he is wrong.I am watching my wife nod her head with 50/50 in her tank. She says "no spitback"

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
zamplebox is pointless.
there is another one that does send some gear with the premium sub.

xtar, nicore are awesome chargers.
if you want true battery amazement check out the turd brown lgs they are 20 amp with 3000mah.

Krabkakes95

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
zamplebox is pointless.
there is another one that does send some gear with the premium sub.

xtar, nicore are awesome chargers.
if you want true battery amazement check out the turd brown lgs they are 20 amp with 3000mah.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of youtube reviews for 4 different sub services. I'll be building my own coils (I do a lot of electrical and computer work and building coils doesn't phase me) so I could also use recommendations on wire gauge/brand, cotton brand (does it even matter?) and tools. Also, this is a newb question, but how customizable are these? The RDA that came with this is a single coil RDA setup, can I get a dual coil or triple coil RDA? Or is that something I'd need to go to a dual 18650 setup for?

As far as batteries go, I was never asked nor given options for batteries. The dude just dissapeared into a back room, brought an 18650 out and threw it in. It says MXJO IMR18650 3000mAH 3.7v 35A.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I've seen a lot of youtube reviews for 4 different sub services. I'll be building my own coils (I do a lot of electrical and computer work and building coils doesn't phase me) so I could also use recommendations on wire gauge/brand, cotton brand (does it even matter?) and tools. Also, this is a newb question, but how customizable are these? The RDA that came with this is a single coil RDA setup, can I get a dual coil or triple coil RDA? Or is that something I'd need to go to a dual 18650 setup for?

As far as batteries go, I was never asked nor given options for batteries. The dude just dissapeared into a back room, brought an 18650 out and threw it in. It says MXJO IMR18650 3000mAH 3.7v 35A.
That dude is a fucktard.
MXJO are rewrapped 15-20 amp.
That 35 amp is a unicorn mythical bench mark. I have found more rocking horse turds, frog fur and chicken lips than a safe pulse rating.

As far as space for the coils 26 ga is pushing the build limits and if you really want to push it 28 in a parallel will just about top out the firing limit of the box.
A dripper is what you seek to play with coils, you are limited to .30 with the limit of the mod.

Krabkakes95

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That dude is a fucktard.
MXJO are rewrapped 15-20 amp.
That 35 amp is a unicorn mythical bench mark. I have found more rocking horse turds, frog fur and chicken lips than a safe pulse rating.

As far as space for the coils 26 ga is pushing the build limits and if you really want to push it 28 in a parallel will just about top out the firing limit of the box.
A dripper is what you seek to play with coils, you are limited to .30 with the limit of the mod.

Beautiful. I guess I'll be picking up 2 new batteries with a charger then. Lol.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Beautiful. I guess I'll be picking up 2 new batteries with a charger then. Lol.
In a regulated mod like the subox they are kind of a non issue.
In a mech... nope.

check out 101vape they just had a hellishly sale.. their prices are damned reasonable and where you are at... fast shipping.

Krabkakes95

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What about charging on board until I pick up a charger. Can I plug it into my android charger? All it came with was the mini USB to USB cord.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What about charging on board until I pick up a charger. Can I plug it into my android charger? All it came with was the mini USB to USB cord.

yep just make sure the dongle part is 1ampish. do not usb charge it bad shit will possibly happen.

Krabkakes95

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yep just make sure the dongle part is 1ampish. do not usb charge it bad shit will possibly happen.
I have 2 android chargers. One is 5v@2A, the second is an adaptive fast charger that does [email protected] or 5v@2A.

Would the Non-adaptive charger be alright at 5v@2A?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have 2 android chargers. One is 5v@2A, the second is an adaptive fast charger that does [email protected] or 5v@2A.

Would the Non-adaptive charger be alright at 5v@2A?

ya might be pushing it a bit. "should" be ok for a little while.
Honestly not sure the chipset in the box but not many 1 amp dongles out there.

Krabkakes95

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ya might be pushing it a bit. "should" be ok for a little while.
Honestly not sure the chipset in the box but not many 1 amp dongles out there.
I'm not too worried about the battery. I just don't want to fry a component in the box.

Krabkakes95

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I went to another vape shop today.The guy who worked there was pretty cool, sold me some good juice and I think I spent over an hour trying out different juices. I ended up walking out with 30ml Avalon by Immortal Fog, 20ML of their house brand juice Toucan's Choice (Fruit loops), 2 .5 ohm OCC vertical coils, and a 2 dock NiteCore charger.

I told him that I had tried to wick my RDA that comes with the Subox but that sometimes I get juice in my mouth (wow that sounded wrong). So he rewicked it for free for me. He said you don't have to cover the holes in the side of the RDA (which everyone else says you have to) and he just filled the RDA with cotton... I was skeptical but I tried it... I can barely even suck through the thing it's so full of cotton... So looks like I'll be re-wicking that. For now I'm vaping on the Avalon with a .5 Ohm coil at 34 Watts.

Krabkakes95

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
736e66dadcebf5ed4eeccc7544f26cd0.jpg
725b63731c80a17fb8d6b87f30cdf579.jpg
40681274e962bc7cb05569f1e2d2854f.jpg

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just get some q-tips cut a fuzzy end off and get poky with the down tube.That'll solve the that problem fast.The bigger problem with super thin e-liquid is the sub-tank mini will have leaking issues.I now use King by Viceroy Vapor in my sub-tank mini exclusively it's 100% VG so it leaks less now.

Pick up some HERE.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
...I was informed by the employee who sold me this Subox that I shouldn't smoke anything lower than 70/30. Is there anything I can replace to use a lower viscosity liquid? I tried some of the "Glacial Menthol" by midas and really liked it but he cautioned me from using it. I've been smoking it with a .5 ohm coil at 35W.

Hiya krabkakes95, The ratio of Propylene Glycol to Vegetable Glycerin in eliquid is generally expressed as PG/VG, with the PG always first. It saves some confusion that way. VG is the thicker liquid with a much higher viscosity. PG's pretty thin by comparison. As far as the ratio you should use... I say all bets are off. There are no rules. You'll learn what you like to use and for a variety of different reasons.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hiya krabkakes95, The ratio of Propylene Glycol to Vegetable Glycerin in eliquid is generally expressed as PG/VG, with the PG always first. It saves some confusion that way. VG is the thicker liquid with a much higher viscosity. PG's pretty thin by comparison. As far as the ratio you should use... I say all bets are off. There are no rules. You'll learn what you like to use and for a variety of different reasons.
All true...However certain tanks just can't take thick e-liquids...Can you say Pro-Tank V1?
Most tanks on the market today can handle even the thickest of e-liquids.So it's become more of a personal taste issue.I prefer a good solid throat hit so I tend to buy most of my e-liquids at least 60/40 PG/VG or even higher in PG.Besides most really high VG stuff has a almost black pepper taste to it that I don't enjoy.There are some exceptions like King by Viceroy which is very smooth and 100% VG.Or Pencil by Must Vape which is amazingly good.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Keep an eye on the O-ring where the tank connects to the base. That seems to be where most of the leaks are. Sometimes they (all of the Kangetech subtank versions) leak past the O-ring where the coil seats but not too often. The main reason I tell you to keep an eye on it is over time you'll over tighten it after filling. Then you'll be searching for 2 pair of pliers to separate them to refill again. It is however part of a replacement kit that you can get for between 1 and 4 dollars depending on where you look. sweet-vapes, kangeronline, myvaporstore, the list is endless as with anything else you may look for. Can't say I had any real advise for you but wanted to say hi and wish you luck with your new hobby. Yes, no longer a habit, now a hobby.
In addition, if you let it set unused for a few days, it will definitely leak. Without you taking drags off it to keep the vacuum inside the tank, it just leaks. All subtanks do if unused.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Keep an eye on the O-ring where the tank connects to the base. That seems to be where most of the leaks are. Sometimes they (all of the Kangetech subtank versions) leak past the O-ring where the coil seats but not too often. The main reason I tell you to keep an eye on it is over time you'll over tighten it after filling. Then you'll be searching for 2 pair of pliers to separate them to refill again. It is however part of a replacement kit that you can get for between 1 and 4 dollars depending on where you look. sweet-vapes, kangeronline, myvaporstore, the list is endless as with anything else you may look for. Can't say I had any real advise for you but wanted to say hi and wish you luck with your new hobby. Yes, no longer a habit, now a hobby.
In addition, if you let it set unused for a few days, it will definitely leak. Without you taking drags off it to keep the vacuum inside the tank, it just leaks. All subtanks do if unused.
I'm already at the point of hair-pulling because of the sub-tank mini's leaking issues.I'll probably get a Black Triton Mini to replace it.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm already at the point of hair-pulling because of the sub-tank mini's leaking issues.I'll probably get a Black Triton Mini to replace it.

If I may suggest, I'd lean towards the Crown by Uwell.
You can get it in the $20 - $25 range in silver or black.
vaperoyalty, ecig, vapingcheap, elementvape, ecigarettelobby, fasttech, gearbest, subtanksupply in no particular order.
Review of it at vaping360

It is TOP FILL and works awesome.
Just a suggestion.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll 2nd that Crown suggestion. Absolutely doesn't leak, with pre-made coils (RBA's a slightly different story, requires skills to wick to be leak free). You'd be hard pressed to find a better Sub ohm tank than the Crown. Only caveat is proper priming of coil on first use. Takes a bit more time to prime a new coil properly, and the taste isn't great for (about) the first 1/2 a tank... after that you're golden. Prices are sharp on it ($20.00 range), Mfg quality is Mercedes Benz like. No BS.

VU Sponsors