Become a Patron!

Hello I am aka Sam Dan

My Vaping experience is not as exciting as to what I am investing my engineering ideas on. My specific interest is to generate a density vapor using a car battery supply. Car battery amps are high enough that wattage is only a concern for the coil and wires used to connect to the battery. So, a high wattage power resistor series is required to drop the voltage drop across a fused Clapton coil.

Any thoughts about this setup. I have a momentary switch so that I may control power application and avoid accidentally leaving the switch closed. As well, I will want to use a power variable resistor to adjust the current through the coil. Perhaps 1 in series and another in parallel.

So why this setup ? Because I am interested in creating the vapor smoke and passing it through the sealed Evap system to check for broken tubes or open valves that would cause an emission check engine error.

Mineral oil is typically used don't know if VG oil is feasible. Would VG retain it's vapor going through a system ? Vapor density and retention seem to be a key factor.

Vapor density is controlled by coil wattage emitted. The length of time the vapor is suspend by the oil used ?

Appreciate your input and acceptance in my off the wall application.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah a smoke machine for automotive troubleshooting. I too have plans to build one. I will be using PG as the vapor agent though. You do not need really high power though. You do need a way to generate single digit pressure to pressurize the vacuum system in the vehicle with it. I will be using silica wick for durability.

This is not really vaping related however a worthwhile project for us shade tree mechanics and the smoke units are quite expensive and can save hours or more of troubleshooting time. Especially when troubleshooting vacuum leaks or leaks in the evap system.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the forum @samanthad, good luck with your venture, you might want to consider using a marine battery (they are made to have their charge drained and be recharged)

VU Sponsors