Become a Patron!

Hello, need some guidance.

Hey, my name is Christian. I'm going to get into the vape community. I'm trying to quit smoking. But I need some help first. I'm looking for a vape (Mod box?) It's that battery looking one. My budget is around $150-$180 if you can supply me with information, personal experience that'll be great. Thanks

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the VU.
Where are you located?

smoke free vapor

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Try the Eleaf iStick 50W Battery Mod. This regulated box mod from iSmoka is a high end battery for a superior vaping experience. It has variable voltage and wattage range which comes with a large battery capacity.

Specifications:
  • Size: 23.0 x 45.0 x 83.0mm
  • Rated resistance range: 0.2O - 5O
  • Capacity: 4400mAh
  • Thread Type: 510 Thread
  • Variable voltage: 2.0V - 10.0V
  • Variable wattage: 5W - 50W

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I concur with that. EBay or 101 Vape, might have it. Kanger Tank is a few dollars. Others are around. Fast Tech.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have limits to help someone stop smoking. I may not vape for several hours. Just don't need a Cigarette. Casket, Service, Family had impact. Keep smoking, you will be dead in 72 hours. Year & 1/2 ago. :)

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi @ActualCro! To give you some advice, I'm going to have to ask a bunch more questions first...

How long have you been smoking, and how much do you smoke?

How technologically/mechanically-inclined are you? Would you consider a device that involves changing batteries and charging them separately, or do you want a device with a built-in battery? Would you consider buying wire and wrapping your own coils, or do you want to buy pre-made coils that you just install, vape, and throw away when they burn out?

Either way, vaping is incredibly effective today compared to just a couple years ago when I quit, and I thought that tech was amazing compared to when I tried to quit in the early 2010s and gave up. I'm sure we can find you a great setup for $150-180, possibly even less...

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thats a decent budget to get started if i say so myself...Considering this, much better products in my opinion can be had but one certainly doesnt need to spend as much as your budget to have something nice.

Its hard to recommend something without knowing a little more about your smoking habits and what you might be looking for.

When quitting smoking, one doesnt realize that its not just the smoking one is used to but its also habits with the hands...That urge to reach for that cig...the use of a lighter etc.....So a simple smaller device like an ego can be close to that as opposed to a big box with buttons.

I dont usually recommend a high power device and a subtank of sorts to get one started.

I tend to recommend a quality ego style set up and first find a nicotine level or juice you can stick to and see if it helps you...Vaping can be a whole lot more expensive when you make wrong decisions.

I personally would recommend you a Kanger EVOD starter kit and advance from there...its bare bones and simple to use and coils are not expensive.

When you have found its working for you and you want to move up to something better then the sky is your limit with more advanced kits.

I consider it like school...who starts in the 10th grade?..You start in kindergarten and learn your way up...its alot better to understand what you want than just knowing answers.

I'll tell you the EVOD kit is what got me off the stinkies after over 25yrs of smoking and if i had to give up everything vape wise i have but that kit, it would still keep me off them...just not as fun to do so having experienced much more.

Check out vapesupersaver.com for the Kanger EVOD double starter kit..They are priced way lower than they were when i first got mine...grab an extra pack of coils as well..i recommend the 1.8 ohm coils if they have them.

For e juice i would highly recommend VistaVapors.com..a 102ml bottle for $20.00 should last you a month easily.

Considering new to vaping the nic content is going to be the key to help you stay off the stinkies...I would recommend no less than 18mg content.

Anyway, just my .02 cents and, best of luck.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good advice from @Mike H. - it was an eGo/Evod type setup that finally allowed my wife and I to quit after 15+ years of smoking. A couple points where I'd differ:

Look for a "twist" style eGo battery - it'll allow you to change up the power a bit to customize your vape and will allow you to get an idea of what you'll be dealing with when you're ready to step up.

Also, I'd recommend buying a bunch of cheap bottles of different flavors and nic strengths, rather than 120 ml of one flavor that you might hate, or that might have too much/not enough nicotine. With those last-generation clearomizer devices it took 18 (and occasionally 24 at the outset) mg/ml of nicotine to get me off the smokes (about 1/2 to 3/4 packs a day of Marlboro Light 100s). I then quickly dropped to 12 mg, then 6, and then to 3 when I stepped up to rebuildable drippers and new-generation clearomizers. But everyone's different - my wife stuck with 18 mg until she got into high-power devices and then went straight to 3.

Regardless, you're in the right place for advice!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I recommended the 1.8 ohm coils as it would put the evod at 8 watts with the stock batteries, which i felt was the sweet spot for that tank personally.

I never used a variable voltage spinner type battery... to me were way way overpriced and still are except for the cheap clones that have nothing but problems.

For the price of an authentic spinner, you may as well get an eleaf 20w. "Shrugs"

Im with you on the juice though...i got what i now know as vapers tongue just having one juice for a while.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I Dunno my advice is gonna be a little different. speaking from my own personal experience, the ego batteries, that were available with when I made the switch, did not do me any good other than push me into more cigarettes. it wasn't until I got an MVP and an aero tank that I could quit, but I was smoking 2packs a day.
Everyone is different and vaping is in a wonderful place right now for you guys and gals starting, there is bound to be something that'll work. what it is, will be a process of trial and error.
Being the frugal person I am, I try and think long term, something like aforementioned istick50 or an innokin cool fire 4 will be great paired with a nautilus mini, I say that because both will work great should you feel the need change to a different type of tank requiring more power without needing the investment of another mod/battery right away
Both of those boxes have a built in battery and charger.
The only thing would be that their is a slight learning curve to the devices, but in my experience it was worth it; and, you have this cool forum with people here eager to help you along your journey.

Best of luck to you both and congrats on making the choice of a healthier lifestyle

The Ocelot

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
In my experience, the battery device is just a power source - whether it be an eGo Twist; Vision Spinner; Innokin MVP; Innokin iTaste VV4, whatever; it's just the power. The tank/topper and the juice you use will have a more noticeable impact on your vaping experience when you first start out. My recommendation is to pick a quality battery device that appeals to you, but spend most of your budget on different toppers and juices to try.

drugarth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I started on evods and emows, but they didn't do it for me and within weeks I moved on, so my advice would be to skip them and go straigth to an entry level mod (modifiable device, which means you can adjust the voltage/wattage) like the cool fire iv or Istick 30/40 or 50. I would combine this with a nautilus mini tank. This was the first combo that gave me a good vape and not to expensive or complicated.

VU Sponsors