Become a Patron!

Hello VU

I don't know what I should consider myself, a lapsed vaper or a lapsed smoker, but here goes. Been pretty much addicted to cigarettes most of my life, apart from occasional periods of abstenence, the only glimmer of hope I found for my addiction was vaping around 3 years ago. Things were going pretty well, reduced my habit to less than 5 roll ups per day then a combination of chronic ill health, personal circumstances and a serious dose of the black dog knocked me for six. I struggled to keep up with the discipline vaping required (I built my own coils and made my own e-juice) and I was back on the cigarette treadmill.

A regular poster on another non-vaping forum happened to make a post about vaping and it got me thinking. Be it sentimentality, be it addiction, be it fate, but I realised I missed a lot about the hobby, particularly experimenting with new flavours and testing out new kit. I dug out my old kit, gave it a good clean and sank a bottle of commercial juice. I have somehow managed to come to terms with the fact that it now takes me 20 minutes to do something I previously could do in 5. With that in mind, I have been back on the vape for 2 months now and am smoking well under a quarter of what I used to. Some days I don't even smoke 5 roll ups, I'm really happy with that. I'm not going to jinx myself by setting the goal of 0 ....

So much has changed in a few years though, although one thing never changes. I see that vaping is still being pursued as the spawn of the devil, which is a great pity as it is the only decent alternative to smoking I know of.

Please forgive any daft questions I may ask. I'm still in pursuit of the "Perfect" vape. Being a touch OCD and a perfectionist doesn't help !!!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum.
I hope you can get to your goal of 0 roll ups.

Do they sell ZYN or ON! nicotine pouches where you are by chance?
They are like snus but there is no tobacco in the pouch. Instead there is powdered nic salt.
Along with vaping they help when people are looking to switch..
I used to suggest the patch and vaping to a smoker looking to make the full switch but these newer pouches are very satisfying.
I'd suggest weaning off the pouches after a month or so of no smoking at all. Same as with the patch.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to VU! :cheers:

Good choice on coming back to vaping! Just do what's right for you. If you can quit the rollies, great! If not, we understand. Any questions you have will be answered.

Hi :wave: Welcome to the forum.
I hope you can get to your goal of 0 roll ups.

Do they sell ZYN or ON! nicotine pouches where you are by chance?
They are like snus but there is no tobacco in the pouch. Instead there is powdered nic salt.
Along with vaping they help when people are looking to switch..
I used to suggest the patch and vaping to a smoker looking to make the full switch but these newer pouches are very satisfying.
I'd suggest weaning off the pouches after a month or so of no smoking at all. Same as with the patch.
Not that I know of. Thankfully my NIC levels are pretty low these days, sometimes I don't even need 3mg in my juice. I certainly don't get the cravings anywhere near as bad as I used to, I think I must have totally saturated my body over the years !

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello and welcome! Every cig you don't smoke is a win! When I started vaping, it got me down from a pack a day to 5 a day (that took a couple months) Eventually, I just vaped... for many months. I won't lie... I have slipped back into "dual use" many times (in fact I hate to admit this... I have recently slipped again but only 3 a day) You have a big advantage in that you already know how to build and mix juice. Keep trying (and don't hate yourself when you do have an occasional cig) maybe even up your nic level to 6mg for awhile. I do DIY and would be glad to help with any questions about that. I also build but others here have much more experience with that. Try to remember what a fun hobby vaping can be. Do you have any nic for mixing? If you are low, get some ASAP (I recommend 100 mg/ml in PG) Take some time and get familiar with VU (I understand it can be confusing choosing which forum to post on) Here's a couple links:
https://vapingunderground.com/forums/general-rebuildable-discussion-rta-rba-rda.43/
https://vapingunderground.com/forums/diy-e-liquid-general-discussion.48/

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Much appreciated. Where is a good place to start posting? I'm still finding my way around VU.

Where to start really depends on what kind of gear you're using or what you might have questions about.

There's a Daily Check-In Thread that was started as a way to keep up with folks at the beginning of the pandemic.

Daily Mixing Thread is our back-and-forth of questions & answers & brainstorming about DIY.

Official Hand Check Thread is where folks show pics of what they're vaping today.'

It's always worthwhile to browse around in the "General Discussion" sub-forum, where there are sections that are vape related and then one section that is more social.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Where to start really depends on what kind of gear you're using or what you might have questions about.
Yes... please tell us your vaping style (MTL, RTL or full blown DL) How many watts? Drop-in coils or rebuildables? Basically, what do you plan on using for now. It might be easier to use drop-in coils for now. And nothing wrong with using pre-made juices for awhile.

VU Sponsors