Become a Patron!

HELP! Brand new, quit smoking, but what am I doing wrong?

Ok so exactly a week ago I decided to give vaping one more try with something a little more powerful than a pen setup from the local gas station.

I went to closest vape shop and tryed to get an I stick 50w with an arctic tank. Of course they would be out of stock... So I bought a kanger kbox nano 60w kit.

This kit comes with 3 different coils. The one that was already installed in the tank was the .15 I found my sweet spot at 37 watts with seduce juice. It was awesome for 3 days! Like I cannot tell you how elated I was to finally feel like I could quit cigarettes and stick it out this time. I was the closest Ive been in 7 years! It was amazing. But being new to this, I let my attention slip on the amount of juice in my tank, and burnt up my coil. No biggie I thought, just throw one of the extras in... Well the second one (i forgot the ohms rating id have to go look) was rated for 10-24 watts. So I had it in for a day trying to find my sweet spot, but the vapor and flavor production was much much less than the first coil. And I found myself smoking cigs again. 3 that day, 5 the next 8 the next and so on.

So today I went to the shop & bought a 5 pack of kanger ni200 .15 coils. $18 ( is that a good price? )

Well the vape & flavor are definitly better, but still not like that first coil. The biggest problem and mainly why I started this thread is because THE TANK IS GETTING UNBELEIVABLY HOTTT!!!

Now it did that when I first got it and had it set up in the 50's. Then I realized I could run at lower watts and get comparable vapor without the heat. So the tank would get warm but not scorching hot. The mod itself is fine. Its just the tank. The kbox nano has a tc setting I turned it all the way down to 100℃ at 19 watts & its still getting super hot after 5 pulls?!?

I had the original .15 coil at stock tc setting of 230℃ at 33 watts and it would take 2 dozen or more consecutive hard pulls to get this hot.

What am I doing wrong here? How do I fix it? Can running the tc or wattage to low cause this?

Also the guy at the shop said that with a regulated mod it didnt matter what amperage the battery is rated for? Is that true?

Thank you for the help!

Also just remembered these .15 coils I just bought are MUCH wider than the stock .15 that came in the kit. Not sure if that matters.

Again thank you everyone for the help!

EDIT: just remembered one more detail thats confusing me. The kbox nano has a gauge to tell you the ohms on the screen. When I first got it a week ago it said 1.65ohms with the .15 in it. When I put the second coil in it did NOT ask "new atomizer installed" and continued to read 1.65 ohms... Tonight when i put one of the new .15's in it changed to .21 ohms and asked "new atomizer installed?" + for yes - for no.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kanger coils can be found online for in the range of $10 a pack - paying less than double at a brick & mortar storefront is actually a pretty good deal, but you can do much better going online.

More important - Ni200 coils are ONLY safe vaping in temperature control mode! Make sure you're in TC when using the 0.15 coils!

It's possible you've got a dud coil - it's an unfortunate reality, especially with how expensive manufactured throwaway coils are, that a lot of them are just no good out of the box. Have you tried another?

The shop guy is trying to blow your head off - safe batteries are always important! Use a legit cell (Samsung, LG, or Sony) rated for 20 amps or higher - you'll come close to using all 20 of those amps if you're pushing a single cell to 60 watts.

Got any pics of your gear? It might help in further troubleshooting...

Also, I like to start my coils out at the lowest recommended wattage, gradually increasing every puff or two until I hit my sweet spot - it can take a tank or two to break them in, but I find that if I get a good coil this practice increases it's overall life by as much as a week, which to me is worth the inconvenience.

Hope this helps, sorry if some of my ranting comes across a bit harsh. Welcome to the Underground!

My battery is: 18650 2500mAh 3.7v

Not sure of brand. Shop guy had no clue on its recommended continuous pull amp rating (i think thats what its called?) And said that, that rating is pretty much only applicable to mech mods. Because the chip in regulated mods prevent the battery from being over worked/over amped...

Pics.... Notice how fat the coil is. The ones that came with it were much narrower. Maybe that heats the glass up more???

Attachments

• IMAG0546_1.jpg
    IMAG0546_1.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0545_1.jpg
    IMAG0545_1.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0544_1.jpg
    IMAG0544_1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0543_1.jpg
    IMAG0543_1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMAG0540_1.jpg
    IMAG0540_1.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 38

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, I've got the Kanger Nebox and Kbox 120, but not the Kbox 60 - I'm thinking my advice is going to apply regardless, but it may not...

Your mod has a 5-click on/off function - this is almost universal. Then, when on, it should have a 3-click function to cycle between power mode and TC mode (or between different TC modes depending on wire type - my Nebox only supports Ni200 TC vaping and straight power-mode, but my Kbox 120 has modes for Ni200 TC, titanium TC, stainless steel TC, and straight power). It looks like you're in Ni200 TC mode, which is where you want to be for that coil, but if you use a Kanthal coil you want to be in power mode.

The original coils were square, right? Looks like you now have the new round coils - I'm not incredibly sure how they differ, I used the square ones in my old Subtank and my Nebox came with the round ones (still on my first coil since I don't use that mod much). I'm guessing that Kanger is switching to the round ones exclusively going forward, though I don't have enough experience to speak on that with authority.

Can we get some pics of the battery too? Battery safety is something I'm HUGE on, and there are a lot of fake-spec re-wrappers who take discarded cells that don't pass QC at the original manufacturer and slap bogus ratings on them - if you've heard of a vape mod exploding in someone's face, chances are close to 100% they were using one of these. You don't need to worry too much, your regulated device should (note not "will," but "should") stop you from inadvertently doing something too dangerous.

I know I'm being a bit roundabout in my troubleshooting, but I'd rather be thorough than miss something - take a look at my "sick clouds bro" thread stickied in the Help I Have Questions subforum, it's got a lot of good info for new users. Once we get this stuff figured out, you've got a great device to work with - way better than when my wife and I kicked 15-year smoking habits back in 2013 with gear that would seem downright prehistoric today...

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm kinda new also but have a slight engineering background. My coil break in is as follows;

1. take the new coil and drip juice into the slots small amounts on the cotton. Going around slowly to each spot. Repeat a lot, I've found how much depends on the coil. Stop when the cotton isn't really absorbing the juice.

2. Put coil into tank close ventilation holes and fill the tank if not already full. Letting it sit is a good idea but not really necessary if you did step one really well.

3. With the ventilation holes closed and the unit off, or the tank disconnected draw a few "dry hits" from the tank. Your not trying to get a vape just starting the juice flow through the coil.

4. Start low, I run my crown .25 at around 85 watts. When I put in a new coil I start at 30 do about five draws at 30 then up to 35, five draws..... up to the regular watts.

I've found the above to really help from wearing out the coil. With that said I have gotten a bad coil before.

If in temp control I do the same except I'm adjusting the temp instead of the watts, starting low and working up slowly.

hope this helps.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Since the mod was reading 1.65 ohms until it was reset, my guess is the 2nd coil tried was a 1.5 ohm. Similar to the 1.2 ohm, these above ohm coils heat up fast, and its easy to overheat the juice. I also found these coils tend to spit, gurgle, leak, etc. They are more for mouth to lung rather than direct inhale, and meant for low watts.

Suggestion, try one of the 0.5 ohm coils, either OCC, SSOCC, or Clapton. Most shops will sell them individually if you ask. Or, get another Ni200 temp control coil if you like, but I'd experiment.

Ok guys thanks for the help and sorry for the delay. Ive been insanely busy. I actually havnt read the entirety of the replies yet I wanted to post a few things while theyre fresh on my mind first.

1. I had my last cigarette at 1a.m. on feb 23rd.

2. I seem to be burning through coils like a mad man. Not sure why. Actually im not 100% sure im even burning the coils up, but we'll get to that in a moment.

3. The setup. Kbox nano (as pictured above) running ktech ssocc .15 Ni 200 coils on tc mode @ 170-240 for all juices listed below.

4. Juice. Ive been using Trinity 3mg 50/50 by Seduce Juice 90% of the time. Every now and then I take a "shot" of something else to get a dif flavor for a bit, then back on the trinity. Other juices are, madvapes sweet tart 6mg max vg, eco (i think thats it) hazelnut 8mg no markings of pg/vg, econoclouds vanilla 3mg max vg. Yesterday went in for another bottle of trinity and grabbed a 0mg bottle as well. Is it common for flavor to be different between 3mg & 0mg juices that are the same brand/flavor?

5. Weird stuff -

A. To do with sides -

I would be vaping along all happy & thinkin hell yeh this is gonna work. Im an ex smoker now, vape really hits the spot. Like I literally at one point was feeling pure bliss, like that warm fuzzy feeling of being 100% content. Its been YEARS since I had that particular feeling so it felt really weird, but good, & nostalgic, & weird lol.

I had a bit of quitters flu or something. Cough, sneezing, achey, shaky, weak, headache, fever, stuffy/runny nose, ears all jacked up. No nausea thankfully.

All of that seems to be fading out while the lightheaded and dizzy fade in. Also starting to have craaaazzzyyyy vivid dreams. Like holy sh*t! No scary one yet though. Knock on wood.

Hands and feet arent as icy or as often

Have had some kidney area pain for like 4 days, thats concerning. Chest pain like a low slow burning pain in and around ribs is getting more noticable.

Random face and scalp pain, sometimes its sharp and only to the touch others its kinda like the chest pain described above.

Ive heard alot of the pain that follows quitting is due to decreased CO & increased oxygen + bloodflow. Anyone know how accurate that is?

Im super irritable at points throughout the day.

& the last one the weirdest... the past two nights ive caught shadows out the corner of my eye and had to do a double take.

Like idk if its legit happening or im high on the extra oxygen & my brain doesnt know whats going on. Its kinda freaky really. Two incidents that repeated themselves a couple of times each.

Getting flashes as well. Not like blinding lightning bolt flashes. Best way to describe it would be turning the brightness all the way up on your TV. Everything gets much more clear for 1-2 seconds then back to a dimmer normal.

B. Things to do with vape setup -

The econoclouds seemed to burn up the coil i had in almost immediatly.

The madvapes 6mg KILLS my throat. But I hit my sisters atomic fireball 24mg no problems. I cant figure out why this one tube of juice is so harsh. Its max vg, so is econoclouds, granted the EC is 3mg but let me describe this burn. Its cool in the mouth, and going down, but once it hits the lung or bottom if throat or whereever it begins to sting like a hornet is in your throat. I would say compared to the 24mg hit it is 5x more painful (im not exaggerating). Is this what happens when u get "bad juice"?

I think I mentioned before the coils that came with the starter kit are not as "fat" as the others i purchased later. Does this matter/effect anything? See pics.

I saved the best for last. These three things are what I really need help with. So even if you ignore all the above please help me out here.

6. Lets assume a battery is going to explode. Does it happen without warning? For example, without heating up. I know if you drive a nail into one it will suddenly go off, but were talking about battaries installed & being used specifically in vaping apparatuses.

7. Ohm reading, WTF?!?

So the kbox nano reads the ohms on the screen. At the time I dont remember exact ratings of coils, just that they were different from each other. First changeout the kbox did not ask if new coil was installed.... which is why I was suprised when it did ask the 2nd time I changed it. The ohm reading on the screen changed. .21. This was a .15 coil. The next 3 coils were the same. This morning I put the clapton .5 in that came with it.... guess what... no prompt of "new coil installed?" & no change of ohm reading on. Still reads .21 ohms. What is going on? Is this ok? Is it a malfunction? Im so confused.

8. Waxy feeling.

This is why I said I dont know if Im actually burning up the coils or I just think I am. Basically, after a while, I start to get a vape that leaves a waxy residue on the inside of my mouth. Is that consistent with a burnt coil? Its unbelievable how unpleasant this waxy sensation is. If its not a burn coil what is it?

Sorry its long guys, but thanks again for the help. Hopfully Ill be able to get back sooner this time.

Attachments

• 20160229_053149-1.jpg
    20160229_053149-1.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160229_053227-1.jpg
    20160229_053227-1.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20160229_053312-1.jpg
    20160229_053312-1.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20160229_053408-1.jpg
    20160229_053408-1.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20160229_053426-1.jpg
    20160229_053426-1.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 22

formernuke

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you allergic to something maybe? Some of the symptoms your describing can be reactions or possibly quicadence.

I've gotten throat hits before with juices due to nic. The first juice I got I loved sampling 0 nic level in the shop, 6mg though had a throat it (shop owner said its common with citrus flavors).

For the coils I have no idea except what I mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like you're getting some excellent advice about the hardware, but about the quitting smoking... While it's admirable that you've essentially gone "cold turkey" and are using vaping to assist that process, you should be aware that it's still "the hard way", and is not really necessary; that abrupt cessation is a large part of the reason for all the withdrawal symptoms -- which will still happen, despite vaping. Some folks can "stop on a dime" like that, with ease, but some folks just can't do it, and if they try, they suffer tremendously. It's somewhat like trying to stop a car going 100mph within 10 ft -- it's probably going to take longer, and it might get ugly. :D

I never could have done that, and in fact, one of the very first questions I asked about any of this was "Do I have to just quit all at once, like with the patch?" And the answer is an emphatic NO. Tapering the smoking down over a period of time, as you get more comfortable with vaping and learn to prefer it over smoking, is probably the best way to avoid most of the worst withdrawal symptoms. It doesn't mean you're "weak," it means cigarettes are a bitch of an addiction to beat; how EVER you can manage to do it, is a good way; everyone is different in what they can tolerate. So if you feel you really need to have a smoke to get rid of some really awful withdrawal symptom, go ahead and smoke, and enjoy it as long as you can, so that when you do finally lay them down for good, you don't feel deprived and resentful about it.

Andria

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dont know how to help with your coil and overheating problem really, but just wanted to say its just insane that your shop guys will tell a newbie not to worry about battery safety and dont know what their batteries are rated at. Really, thats just buttfuck crazy and one of the biggest problems with this industry. When your dealing with stuff that can ruin your whole life by blowing a hole in your face, you need to hire people who know what theyre doing or at least train them in it.

Knowing your coil resistance and your batteries capabilities is always important no matter what the device is. I dont think regulated devices read the batteries amp drain, they only stop you from firing messed up coils or firing without anything connected. You can still over push it and cause your battery to vent off, unless Im totally wrong.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Kanger updated the "new" coils and the box I just got look like the fat ones they also have a 3rd smaller hole the
the old "new " ones don't.

If the coil is a 0.15 and the mod is reading 0.21 that's a problem and the TC won't work correctly. when dealing with resistance that low 0.06 is a big difference.
Every Kanger Ni coil I ever used falls someplace between 0.16 - 0.14. Just for ha-has try cleaning the 510 and see if the resistance is more in line with what it should be. My Subtank will give false readings on some mods unless I have everything clean even if it doesn't look dirty. edit: I wanted to add that only seems to happen for me with the Ni coils

Yes batteries matter in any mod, you want a good 20 amp one. Sony Samsung or LG is all I recommend for any use.

Last edited:

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just a quick thought, you started on a NI200 coil I think. When you put the other coil in, it was probably kanthal and I'm thinking you didn't switch to power mode (kanthal doesn't work properly in TC mode).

Also, when you first start vaping and that flavor is fabulous then goes all funky you're likely experiencing vapor's tongue (basically your taste buds go wild). It passes, but is sometimes fixed by switching flavors.

Battery safety still applies in regulated mods, although accidents are more common in mech mods.

Good luck! I was easily able to quit a 40-year habit the first day I picked up an ecig, but it's not the same for everyone.

SOC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Something I've noticed before - if I knock a tank against something (like bump into the table or whatever), the coil can get knocked and you can get a bit of juice down in the base below where the coil screws in. Anytime that's happened it's caused my mod to misread the ohms due to e-liquid being on the connector. When you switch out coils, see if you've got any juice down there, it may be causing or exacerbating the ohm issue.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As for batteries exploding, I suggest not carrying them in your pocket where metal on metal contact with other things can cause issues. Get a cheap plastic battery case. Also, power off mod when in pocket, and get a smart charger that will stop charging when battery is full. Ohms law becomes important when using mech mods and when building coils, but good to know that 4.2/ohms = amps, and not to exceed a battery's amp capabilities.

As for vapers tongue, try to switch flavors, but also, I find that eating chocolate, drinking coffee, sipping a little vinegar, and sniffing an open jar of coffee grounds all help. It's worse when using analogues and Vaping at the beginning.

So I should be worried about the ohm reading saying .21 when I have a .5 clapton in it?

Are claptons kanthal?

It certainly doesnt work in tc mode lol

And to be sure I understand this correctly... you guys are saying that a battery does NOT necessarily heat up before exploding? But that it in fact, just randomly explodes.

Im hoping that isnt what your all saying. Id feel so much more comfortable if they started to heat up before hand, as a warning sign ya know.

Currently using the .5 clapton at 40 watts & shows a max of 4.6 volts when I press the fire button. Anyone know roughly how that translates to amp drain?

I looked at a chart for amps & it wasnt very well laid out so im looking for another one.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok guys thanks for the help and sorry for the delay. Ive been insanely busy. I actually havnt read the entirety of the replies yet I wanted to post a few things while theyre fresh on my mind first.

1. I had my last cigarette at 1a.m. on feb 23rd.

2. I seem to be burning through coils like a mad man. Not sure why. Actually im not 100% sure im even burning the coils up, but we'll get to that in a moment.

3. The setup. Kbox nano (as pictured above) running ktech ssocc .15 Ni 200 coils on tc mode @ 170-240 for all juices listed below.

4. Juice. Ive been using Trinity 3mg 50/50 by Seduce Juice 90% of the time. Every now and then I take a "shot" of something else to get a dif flavor for a bit, then back on the trinity. Other juices are, madvapes sweet tart 6mg max vg, eco (i think thats it) hazelnut 8mg no markings of pg/vg, econoclouds vanilla 3mg max vg. Yesterday went in for another bottle of trinity and grabbed a 0mg bottle as well. Is it common for flavor to be different between 3mg & 0mg juices that are the same brand/flavor?

5. Weird stuff -

A. To do with sides -

I would be vaping along all happy & thinkin hell yeh this is gonna work. Im an ex smoker now, vape really hits the spot. Like I literally at one point was feeling pure bliss, like that warm fuzzy feeling of being 100% content. Its been YEARS since I had that particular feeling so it felt really weird, but good, & nostalgic, & weird lol.

I had a bit of quitters flu or something. Cough, sneezing, achey, shaky, weak, headache, fever, stuffy/runny nose, ears all jacked up. No nausea thankfully.

All of that seems to be fading out while the lightheaded and dizzy fade in. Also starting to have craaaazzzyyyy vivid dreams. Like holy sh*t! No scary one yet though. Knock on wood.

Hands and feet arent as icy or as often

Have had some kidney area pain for like 4 days, thats concerning. Chest pain like a low slow burning pain in and around ribs is getting more noticable.

Random face and scalp pain, sometimes its sharp and only to the touch others its kinda like the chest pain described above.

Ive heard alot of the pain that follows quitting is due to decreased CO & increased oxygen + bloodflow. Anyone know how accurate that is?

Im super irritable at points throughout the day.

& the last one the weirdest... the past two nights ive caught shadows out the corner of my eye and had to do a double take.

Like idk if its legit happening or im high on the extra oxygen & my brain doesnt know whats going on. Its kinda freaky really. Two incidents that repeated themselves a couple of times each.

Getting flashes as well. Not like blinding lightning bolt flashes. Best way to describe it would be turning the brightness all the way up on your TV. Everything gets much more clear for 1-2 seconds then back to a dimmer normal.

B. Things to do with vape setup -

The econoclouds seemed to burn up the coil i had in almost immediatly.

The madvapes 6mg KILLS my throat. But I hit my sisters atomic fireball 24mg no problems. I cant figure out why this one tube of juice is so harsh. Its max vg, so is econoclouds, granted the EC is 3mg but let me describe this burn. Its cool in the mouth, and going down, but once it hits the lung or bottom if throat or whereever it begins to sting like a hornet is in your throat. I would say compared to the 24mg hit it is 5x more painful (im not exaggerating). Is this what happens when u get "bad juice"?

I think I mentioned before the coils that came with the starter kit are not as "fat" as the others i purchased later. Does this matter/effect anything? See pics.

I saved the best for last. These three things are what I really need help with. So even if you ignore all the above please help me out here.

6. Lets assume a battery is going to explode. Does it happen without warning? For example, without heating up. I know if you drive a nail into one it will suddenly go off, but were talking about battaries installed & being used specifically in vaping apparatuses.

7. Ohm reading, WTF?!?

So the kbox nano reads the ohms on the screen. At the time I dont remember exact ratings of coils, just that they were different from each other. First changeout the kbox did not ask if new coil was installed.... which is why I was suprised when it did ask the 2nd time I changed it. The ohm reading on the screen changed. .21. This was a .15 coil. The next 3 coils were the same. This morning I put the clapton .5 in that came with it.... guess what... no prompt of "new coil installed?" & no change of ohm reading on. Still reads .21 ohms. What is going on? Is this ok? Is it a malfunction? Im so confused.

8. Waxy feeling.

This is why I said I dont know if Im actually burning up the coils or I just think I am. Basically, after a while, I start to get a vape that leaves a waxy residue on the inside of my mouth. Is that consistent with a burnt coil? Its unbelievable how unpleasant this waxy sensation is. If its not a burn coil what is it?

Sorry its long guys, but thanks again for the help. Hopfully Ill be able to get back sooner this time.
1. Congrats on the quit!

2. No clue on those side effects - I took about 3 weeks to taper down from 15-20 cigs a day, then finally quit when I was down to 3-4. All I got was extra harsh morning coughing for a few weeks as all the crud in my lungs worked its way out. With some of that stuff, you might want to check with your doctor, explain what you're doing, and see what advice they give.

3. Are you properly prepping your coils for install (dripping liquid in all the orifices, letting it sit for a while, taking a couple non-firing "primer puffs" and then starting below your expected power level before gradually working up)?

4. Most batteries don't randomly explode, they tolerate being taxed a bit more than they're comfortable with before venting/catching fire/exploding. But it really matters what you have - 2500 mAh is the storage capacity (and a popular one, many cells are rated at this), 3.7 v is the nominal operating current and standard across the board for 18650 cells. Neither of these numbers tell us anything useful - what we need is a manufacturer and model number, from which we'll be able to deduce the continuous amp discharge rating, which is the most important part of not blowing yourself up.

5. You need to re-set the coil and get a fresh cold reading - not exactly sure how that's done and my owner's manual isn't handy right now, but look into it. If your coils are off as much as you say they are, they're not going to perform well at all and may be counterfeit - there's an error margin even for legit items, but that seems way out of tolerance.

6. A "Clapton" is a straight wire with another, usually thinner wire wrapped around it - it resembles a guitar string, hence the "Clapton" reference - apparently the inventor of this wire-wrapping technique was a fan. It could be made from any material - Ni200, Kanthal, Stainless Steel...

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A half ohm coil firing at 40w is pulling around 9 amps from the battery. For the future, bookmark this link, itll be your new best friend when it comes to building lol: http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp

As far as venting and exploding batteries go, I personally have never had one vent or blow on me before (thankfully), so I dont know first hand and hope I never do, but Ive watched a few videos of batteries being shorted and venting, and in all of them the battery was hissing and steaming before they finally exploded, and some of them it took upwards of 4 minutes of hissing and bubbling before they finally blew. So from that Id assume youd definitely have at least SOME warning it was about to blow.

I think the issue with mods blowing up "quickly" is that most of them are tube mods, and have little to no ventilation of the battery, so all those gases and liquids and steam coming out of the battery are trapped in there, just building up the pressure like a pipe bomb until it finally goes up. Of course, Im just assuming this all with a little common sense, so who knows, I could be dead wrong lol. Sounds good though

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I looked closer at the pictures and your showing two different coils the smaller one is a Clapton and the larger one is the nickel that's why they look different.
It goes by the color of the bottom insulator.
Black = clapton, kanthal power mode
Red = nichrome power mode
Blue = nickel TC mode
Pink if you can find it = SS ether mode

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Clapton coil isn't temp control and mod has to be switched to power mode once in power mode you don't have to set ohms as mod does it all by it's self. If coil has a blue oring then 99% of the time it's a temp control coil so you have to switch mod to TC and set ohms.. As for you symptoms I'm not a Dr but be sure and drink a lot of water those symptoms sound like dehydration to me..

I went to get some replacement ssocc coils and a high drain sony battery. Went to a dif shop this time since the last one gave me bad info on battery safety.

This new shop doesnt carry high drain batteries.

And they dont have ssocc replacements so they sold me occ's saying its the same thing.

Well theyre not. These literally glow red hot at a 200 temp setting and if i turn it all the way down to 100 it doesnt glow but it switches to variable wattage half way thru a hit.

Wtf?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are these perhaps Ni200 coils?

Time to go online - save money, don't deal with idiots behind the counter...

gtrovil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey I just want to add here that I am 3 years tobacco free and I went right from smoking one last cig on the day that I bought my first vaping rig to full on vaping. I WAS using juice that was 18mg of nic at the time. Now I use 3mg. But I also radically changed how I vape over the course of the last 3 years. I might be the exception to the rule but I had made my mind up to kick tobacco. Will power factors into this a good bit. I enjoy vaping way more than I did smoking tobacco. I have NEVER felt like complete crap from vaping like I sometimes did from smoking. I also wonder if you are having a reaction to nickel? Someone may have already mentioned above (but I'm too lazy to read all the good advice that you are getting) that some folks have a bad reaction to nickel. Seems kind of rare to me but possible. ALSO I don't think you would have had a great go of your target rig. The Arctic tank is gonna want all the 50w that an iStick (the 50w one anyway) can give. Hell I'd go the 100w iStick with 2 18650's and the Arctic. By the way the coils for the original Arctic taste like poop for most of the first tank that you put a fresh coil in. SOOOOOOO many better choices now. I'd go Herakles over Arctic. By like all of it.

VU Sponsors