Become a Patron!

help!!! building coil for my Kamry X1

VapeMan12

Member For 4 Years
Well I just feel stupid about now. its been months since I rebuilt anything been using just reg tanks and simple dripper. well i want to use my Kamry X1 dripper and the coil/wick was in it was NASTY!!!! wasn't firing right i figured since it was so nasty so i pulled it off and now have tried 3 times and none of them are working, it will fire for a sec but then nothing else. I just now newest built i seen the coils get red for a sec but then stopped. My battery is 3.94 v on my Sengli Mech mod.

I feel like a newbie. I have done many builds but its been a while, the older i get the quicker i forgot how to do things.

Thanks... and I know I have posted lot of stuff last few days, but not had internet in a while and trying to get back into the game.

My goal is about 1.2-1.4 ohm its 28 Gage wire I'm using. found a nice screw driver to wrap on after watching Nitro use a drill bit with hemostats

VapeMan12

Member For 4 Years
Well, I ended up just for kicks taking out my fuse i had in it, it was one of these safety fuse things. http://www.v-ecigs.com/safety-fuse/
i have used one every since i got my first mech mod cause everyone said it was a good idea. well guess what soon i removed it my build was working great. i stuck in some wick and put juice on it and gave it a try it was working great. i think it is about a 2.0 ohm I thought maybe my coils were to big in dia. cause i was using a nice sized screw driver so i could put my wick in later ( so i wouldn't be wasting wick on builds that don't work)
But what I don't get is why would my simple cheap bridged 510 dripper work fine with the fuse in place but my Kamry X1 wouldn't?
So is there any harm using my mech mod w/o this fuse in it?

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
its important to know what your Inner Diameter is on the coils you build. That way you can gauge what ohm you want to build. An ohm meter will help you determine if there is a short on your RDA. There is no harm in using your med mod w/o a fuse, most of us do not use a fuse/kick in mech mods. Just make sure your battery can handle the amp draw of your coils.
Here are a couple very useful links for coil and battery safety.
http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms_law_calculator.php
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not using a fuse in my mech. So long as your batteries are good and they can handle the load you're putting on them you'll be fine. Now, if you're batteries aren't good or you're placing too much load on them by using sub or super-sub-ohm (depending on what batteries you're using) you could make a pipe-bomb, but so long as you know what you're doing that shouldn't happen anyway.

Here's a website I use that has a good explanation of how current works and which has a list of common batteries, their minimum safe ohms, and their amperage.

EDIT: Also, I'd leave an ohm or at least a half an ohm of head room to be safe.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
thats a great link @Number3124 , good place for new vapers to start!

VapeMan12

Member For 4 Years
Thanks, the battery I am currently using is a Panasonic NRC 18650
NCR18650B 18650 3 amp 4 amp 1.1c 1.5 ohm so I'm safe down to 1.5ohm on my coil right?

so would the fuse not be letting it work cause it thinks its to low of a ohm?

I use a regular multi meter to test my coils cause i do not have a ohm checker i just ordered one off amazon but didn't know the dealer selling it was in China so looks like going to be a while before i have it.
Just checked again its showing my built is 1,8 ohms

I have some
Sony US18650VTC3 1600 mah 15 amp 30 amp 18.75c 0.3 ohm
But dont have them with me right now.

I never knew the Inner Diameter mattered, but i guess that is why people say use this or that size drill bit. i do not have a good assortment of smaller drill bits so i just use whatever is handy

Last edited:

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
that battery and amp should be running the coil ok, yes. It is possible your battery is not charged enough, therefore the fuse is shutting it off. You might also have a short. Make sure you coil is not touching the deck, the posts or the inside of your cap on the rda.

VapeMan12

Member For 4 Years
I was testing it with the cover off. so nothing was touching. as said it works fine w/o the fuse. Guess when i go back to where my vape gear is i will switch the Pan. batt out for one of my Sony's just so i know I will be way fine. And will try it with the fuse again. my battery is charged, charged it last night

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The fuse won't cut it off if the ohms are too low. The fuse works on the positive connection. The power has to run through the fuse. If too much power is pushed through that fuse it bursts and breaks the connection. Actually, come to think of it, did you check the fuse the make sure it isn't broken?

VapeMan12

Member For 4 Years
The fuse won't cut it off if the ohms are too low. The fuse works on the positive connection. The power has to run through the fuse. If too much power is pushed through that fuse it bursts and breaks the connection. Actually, come to think of it, did you check the fuse the make sure it isn't broken?

if it was broken, it wouldn't fire my bridged dripper would it?

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
if it was broken, it wouldn't fire my bridged dripper would it?

Oh. Wow. My bad man. I didn't even see that.

Do you have a picture of the fuse in place in the mod and the connecting pin of the Kamry? If it's a flat pin like my Steamboat the fuse might be too short to make contact with the connection pin reliably. I had a similar problem with my FUhattan mech that persisted until I took a pair of pliers and jammed the insulating shaft as far into the top cap as I could. Still have a few problems every now and again, but it works. This assumes that your bridged dripper has an extended pin like the Tobh.

That could be the problem with your fuse.

VapeMan12

Member For 4 Years
No problem, thanks for the advice. i just dont understand.. the bridged worked the x1 don't.. oh well. i will try different battery's wen i can

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah man. Like I said, most people, to my knowledge, don't use fuses, so if it works without the fuse, I'd say go ahead and use it without. Anyway, however it works out keep at it.

VU Sponsors