Become a Patron!

Help! Can't vape without coughing!

Brian L

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
I'm really bummed right now. I have caught a cold (this is the bad part of having two kids in elementary school...) and now vaping makes me cough terribly. Is there a certain juice I can mix up to help this? It's to the point where I don't even really want to vape. I never had this problem with colds and cigarettes. In fact, cigs had the opposite effect. I really don't want to have to revert to cigs until this cold goes away, but I need my nic!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get the coughing when I vape juices with too much PG in them or my wattage is too high, also mouth to lung works for me better than direct lung inhales.
Dial down the wattage and vape a higher VG mix, also draw into your mouth first before inhaling.
Hope that helps you and you get over the cold soon!!:)

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I get the coughing when I vape juices with too much PG in them or my wattage is too high, also mouth to lung works for me better than direct lung inhales.
Dial down the wattage and vape a higher VG mix, also draw into your mouth first before inhaling.
Hope that helps you and you get over the cold soon!!:)

+1
You might also try higher res builds and increase the nic to get you by.
Some people swear by menthol vapes to help with chest congestion. I havn't tried it personally but it may be an option until you're well again.
Get well soon!
Cheers,

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Brian, you may just have to wait it out :(

This happened to my wife, who had just decided to try vaping, several weeks ago. She couldn't even walk into a cloudy LVS w/o going into a paroxysm of coughing. Then, last Sunday, she walked into the computer room, where I'd been doing whatever I'd been doing, and vaping, and noticed she wasn't coughing. Then she asked if she could borrow my old EVOD & Mini Protank 3 to get her started. "Sure," I said. Topped-off the tank for her, turned it down to "medium". Last night she told me she'd lightly vaped it several times. So she's getting there, slowly-but-surely.

iiKryptic-old

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I literally just had this happen to me. Caught a cold and vaping triggered coughing fits. I absolutely hate menthol, but my wife had somea few drops into some fruity juice helped me immensely. Not even enough to really taste that it's menthol but on the inhale you get a little cool blast.

Brian L

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Thank you all for the suggestions! I think I might give the menthol a try. I have some in my DIY kit. Not much of a menthol fan these day, but if it makes it so I can vape, I'm all for it!

I have tried reducing the wattage in my devices, but it hasn't helped. Probably because they're all drippers nowadays, with big coils meant for a hot vape. I also use at least 80% VG in all my juices. Sounds like the Menthol is my only hope!

darkangel07760

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Bumping this. I have a very slight nagging tickle in my throat that is left over from a nasty cold. So when I vape MTL, I tend to cough. So annoying! Just wanted to share.

sent from my Galaxy Note 5

Spencer2011

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I'm really bummed right now. I have caught a cold (this is the bad part of having two kids in elementary school...) and now vaping makes me cough terribly. Is there a certain juice I can mix up to help this? It's to the point where I don't even really want to vape. I never had this problem with colds and cigarettes. In fact, cigs had the opposite effect. I really don't want to have to revert to cigs until this cold goes away, but I need my nic!
Go for a max vg blend of your tank can handle it. Yeah you'll lose flavor and maybe you'll have to slow down depending on if you drip or have a tank and the coils in the tank but with max vg it will be less harsh. It'll inly be for a few days so it'll be fine

ukdaveuk

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

same, cant even think about vaping with a chesty cold. nearly lost a lung trying. the mentol thing works though...just a few drops.

ggvaper

Member For 4 Years
vaporizers ordered by drs for my kids all had a built in well for vicks vaporub or other menthol type salve to ease congestion , soothe throats and reduce cough.. created a room where it was easier to breathe. makes sense to use a little menthol with our ecigs for same comfort.. am I right?

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
When i have a cold i also have to slow down on the vaping, makes me cough up a storm.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Kinser

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I can't speak for everyone here obviously, but I've vaped while having a cold. Let me say that for me vaping max vg is the last thing I want to do while I have a chest cold (which happens a lot less now then when I was smoking, but my S.O. works at a hospital and brings all sorts of diseases home). In my case I make a 80/20 pg/vg menthol juice. Helps clear the junk right up.

Of course this may not work for you if you're pg sensitive, I'm not, however, if I vape a juice with too much vg I get a heavy feeling in my lungs even when I'm perfectly healthy, so I rarely go beyond 40/60 and most often vape 50/50.

Also while you're ill you'll want to INCREASE your water consumption. A vaper should be drinking at least a liter of water a day if sedentary (substantially more if active), a vaper who is ill probably needs more than that to carry away not only the byproducts of metabolizing juice but also the toxins the germ are creating.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My wife was vaping 50/50steady without a problem and then went to subohm and higher VG, she then developed a cough and went back to cigs. I'm going to try to get her back on 50/50 to 60/40 to see if that helps. I think she has a problem with high VG.

VU Sponsors