Become a Patron!

HELP, COIL NOT GLOWING RED

Hi! So I decided to let go of my beloved Aspire Zelos and head towards RTAs. Please bare in mind this is the first time building, and mainly looked at youtube videos and such...
So I purchased the Zeus RTA by Geekvape, as it is supposed to be easy to use with a single coil. Using the aspire seeder mod with it. Now I am also using pre-built coil as I am a beginner and didn't want to make things to complicated to begin with.
So I unscrewed the little screws, put a coil in, tighten it nicely, straightened it, but when trying to firing it up, it's just not glowing red at all! instead, I get a bit of smoke coming out and a burning smell... I tried again with a different coil and does the same!!! The ohms are being read correctly by the mod each time, so not sure what I am doing wrong... attached the picture: 20180421_120435.png 20180421_120430.png

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Are the coils SS?
State the exact coil your using.
What resistance does the mod say? And what wattage for your dry burn?
I haven't used Zeus, and can't tell too much about coil height from your pics, but, looks a little low?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What Ohm Rate and what wattage are you using. Could be there is just too much wire in the coil for the mod to heat with power available or supplied. You did charge the batteries and have them installed correctly?

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I could be wrong but it looks like the wraps of your coil are touching the deck.
They are not supposed to do that.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
It looks like a deck short to me also. That mod should be able to fire the coil as it is a 200 watt device so you are likely not using enough power or have a short.

If that is SS you shouldn't glow it.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
As others have mentioned.. we need to know the material the coil is made from and the wattage you are using. Smoke without glow sounds like not enough wattage going through the coil.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
It looks like a deck short to me also. That mod should be able to fire the coil as it is a 200 watt device so you are likely not using enough power or have a short.

If that is SS you shouldn't glow it.
Im thinking, with a deck short, at least part of the coil should glow.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Im thinking, with a deck short, at least part of the coil should glow.
I had a deck short awhile back and the only part that glowed were the legs.
The coil moved on me when wicking it.
I always double check now with my 521 tab

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Is the peek insulator in tact? Difficult to tell but it looks damaged especially in the bottom pic

...try taking the build out and unscrew to positive pin at the bottom of the rda...the positive plate(post) should come off the deck ...check that brown plastic insulator underneath it is completely isolating the plate ok

VU Sponsors