Become a Patron!

Help convince me to buy an RDA

Xhalin

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'm leaning towards just buying another Subtank or one of the other tanks out there. I watched a couple of videos on youtube and building looks like a time consuming process.

I know you can build all kinds of coils at different resistance and so on, but on average, how long does it take you to rebuild and rewick a new setup?

I'm fairly new to RDAs - I like to take my time coiling.... At first, About 15 mins a coil to get it wrapped, torched (sometimes), installed and adjusted... Now that 15 includes wicking. I also like to clean and make sure it's all tip top before I start vaping it..

The hardest part to learn was wicking. I went through fields of Japanese organic cotton getting that right.

Way better than a tank though- your flavors will gain depth, and you will truly enjoy vaping something you created, rather than filled.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like to take my time making good coils... but in the comfort of my home. That's why I always carry 3 pre-made coils with properly twisted legs in my portable toolkit, so that if my current coil faits when I'm out and about, I have another one ready to go in 2 minutes. I also carry several pre-twisted rayon wicks for the same reason.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Has anyone mentioned the Big Dripper? Might wanna look into that one. It would probably be right up your alley! If you do wanna try regular dripping though, i would highly-HIGHLY recommend getting an authentic Mutation X. I got a V3 for 25 bucks and it is money well spent. And like anything else, once you get in the habit of dripping, you don't even notice you're doing it. To me carrying around a lil 15ml bottle of juice in my pocket is a small price to pay for the experience. Flavor is outstanding. Even the best tanks don't come close. Plus building is just a ton of fun. I second xhalin's statement above, there is also a nice sense of satisfaction that comes along with vaping on something you built yourself. I feel like it took me to a new place in vaping. Full on hobby rather than just another habit. Regardless of which way you go, good luck!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone mentioned the Big Dripper? Might wanna look into that one. It would probably be right up your alley! If you do wanna try regular dripping though, i would highly-HIGHLY recommend getting an authentic Mutation X. I got a V3 for 25 bucks and it is money well spent. And like anything else, once you get in the habit of dripping, you don't even notice you're doing it. To me carrying around a lil 15ml bottle of juice in my pocket is a small price to pay for the experience. Flavor is outstanding. Even the best tanks don't come close. Plus building is just a ton of fun. I second xhalin's statement above, there is also a nice sense of satisfaction that comes along with vaping on something you built yourself. I feel like it took me to a new place in vaping. Full on hobby rather than just another habit. Regardless of which way you go, good luck!
Yawn, the Zero Gravity clone FT sells will look that BD eye to eye. Even a shitty build gives massive clouds. I payed about 12-13 clams I think. I own both. :cool:

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The BD is a great dripper in its own right. My main beef with it, as with any other atomizer with side holes (which is about 9/10th of the market) is that it leaks when you overfill it - and also when you don't sometimes.

I hate leaking atomizers with a passion. No bottom- or side-hole atty for me no more, nosiree...

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
A decent one to learn on would be a good magma clone, 12-20$ depending súpereasy to build, great juice capacity and killer flavor.
Now, its not gone wn any cloud comps, a the draw can be a but tight; but with sort of capacity its a great 'first dripper'

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, a great, super-cheap, super-easy to build "first dripper" is the Smok Dripper RDA with the air hole enlarged to 3 mm. At $6, it won't break the bank, and it's very, very flavorful also. Trouble is, if you don't keep the hole pointing upright at all time (with the help of a Smok Airflow controller for instance), it'll leak like somebody's enuretic grandmother. Kind of like the Magma, really... :)

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I too can not go back to a tank after getting into the dripping game. For me, it's fun,the rebuilding options are endless, lots of rda's for a fair prices out there. When I first started I dripped and used a tank, it wasn't one or the other. Then once I was about a month in I put the kayfun down and haven't picked it up since. Try it, what can it hurt? Either you like or you don't, I just don't get the flavor I like from a tank. I recommend a patriot, mainly because it's what I started dripping with. Let us what you decide, I'm curious, I see this question a lot....

efektt

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I too can not go back to a tank after getting into the dripping game. For me, it's fun,the rebuilding options are endless, lots of rda's for a fair prices out there. When I first started I dripped and used a tank, it wasn't one or the other. Then once I was about a month in I put the kayfun down and haven't picked it up since. Try it, what can it hurt? Either you like or you don't, I just don't get the flavor I like from a tank. I recommend a patriot, mainly because it's what I started dripping with. Let us what you decide, I'm curious, I see this question a lot....
This is exactly how it went for me. I dont even have any desire to try any of the newer tanks. Once you get used to the actual act of dripping it becomes second nature and wont even have to think about it.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@efektt and @dave/jayce you sound very similar to me. I have six kayfuns just sitting, half filled and in need of serious cleaning I bet. Once I found an RDA I liked, I got a total of three and haven't looked back. I do still have interest in tanks, and will eventually get a V4 Kayfun, Subtank, one of those that will allow me to lung hit, but for now I drip. I used to mouth to lung hit, kinda have to with a Kayfun, I love lung hits with RDA's now. I also can build lower, and I need that hot vape now to satisfy.

For me, getting an iPV3 was also very key in making the switch. I was able to play with power levels without changing builds, and now I've found a good medium that can be pushed a bit on the iPV, yet still draws enough power on a mech to satisfy. Generally, building RDA's is easier, too. I'm glad I learned on Kayfuns, but they're a pia compared to an RDA.

dave/jayce

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My wife has 2 subtanki mini's and yes they roscoe more clouds but the flavor still isn't there for me.

VU Sponsors