Become a Patron!

Help: I have never used TC

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hello, I have ordered some stainless notch coils from vapenw. They are Wismec rated at .25 ohm. I wanted to dable in temperature control. I have an Alien 220 and a Battlestar 200. Both have the TC option.

Where do I start lol? I can insert these coils in an Avacado 24 or a Griffin 25 plus. Should I use one at a time? Or can I run them dual style? What temp should I be aiming for? Oh here is a pic-
theorem_notchcoil_by_wismec_0.25ohm-2.jpg

They come with a cotton strand pre installed. Should I take it out and fire the coil by itself a few times?

I'm just looking for tips. Thank you guys.
You can tell me if they are junk haha.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can use the coils in just about any atty the will fit in........ they would be too big for say a Kayfun......

Since they are stainless i would get a feel for em in VW mode. Then start at that wattage and the lowest temp in TC.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Personally I would toss the pre installed cotton and put in some of mine.... I probably would NOT dry fire the first time I used a coil. Unless I'm just curious to see it glow. I only dry fire dirty coil and some first time builds and SS mesh.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Me, I always dry fire new coils to be sure that any possible left over machine oil is gone.

Just call me extra paranoid having vaped machine oil covered coils in the far distant past!:crazy::cuss2:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Me, I always dry fire new coils to be sure that any possible left over machine oil is gone.

Just call me extra paranoid having vaped machine oil covered coils in the far distant past!:crazy::cuss2:
Dawn and hot water does fine.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You dont have to fire and get out hotspots out of notch coils. Totally up to you if you want to dry fire them to get of machine oil but washing them will work fine too...

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Several members with both those mods have said the Battlestar has much better TC than the Alien. I only have the Alien, and it's ok, but not great.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't have a Battlestar but I can tell you the Alien is not very consistent at all when it comes to TC.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I won a pile of SS wire, claptons and some nickle wire. I've never considered leaving kanthal but within the last week I've used a SS clapton and even though using TC is fukkin confusing and with all the reading its still confusing but I've been able to muddle through it enough to say OMFG a .17ohm stainless clapton(26/34) at 380F is a amazing vape. Its opened my eyes enough to make a temco order and start using the SS instead of kanthal..now I have to buy some TC mods since my IStick100 is the only TC mod I have and its been around the block a few times and showing its age. Stainless rayon TC builds rock way past my expectations so after 4 years I am still learning and now improving my experience.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd agree with others, no need to fire to get out hot spots. TC depends as much on the coil as the mod. Not sure how well two .25 coils would do in something like an avocado, that's getting kinda low, around .12. I had issues trying to fire a couple of coils that combined came out to around .12 on the alien mod with the avocado 24 bottom airflow. Struggled to keep up, got warnings from the mod about abusing it and the avocado got wicked hot. Maybe it was just my particular build.

@Alter just for a point of reference, I have the istick tc100w and the alien 220w. The istick does a much better job at tc. With the istick I get a nice consistent heat, the alien on the other hand fluctuates. Like middle of taking a hit suddenly the power just drops off and vapor cools way off, then all the sudden it kicks back in again and feels like it almost overshoots and I get a sudden jolt of vape hotter than I have it set for.

The fsk chip in the hohm devices is supposed to be pretty great and reliable. Also the dna and yihi chips, though the dna and fsk are probably a bit better. Don't get me wrong, I like the alien. I like the size, display, the hand feel etc. Tc just isn't as good as other inexpensive mods and since you already have an istick tc100w, don't expect the alien to do tc the same.

Vucci

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Frank here's my format for TC:

Buy a spool 26 gauge (good common starting gauge) SS 316L. I get 100ft since later if you want to learn to make claptons you have extra ;)

Now you using regulated so don't worry bout Ohms Law. Wrap your wires enough loops to cover the airflow (if its bottom airflow). Or to safe 5/6 wraps is fine.

I highly suggest you spaced your coils for TC. It's more consistent for new vapers and you don't have to dry fire at all.

What is spaced you asked? After you wraps 5/6 wraps, you pull in the coils so there's spacing between the wraps. IMG_2899.jpg
IMG_2898.jpg

Spaced coils is one of the optimal way for TC.

That's pretty much it frank. Mess around with wraps. Whatever have some fun! But as long as you following guidelines i guarantee you will have an amazing TC Vape. Maybe set it at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then go higher or lower from their. But that's a good benchmark.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Nice! Thanks alot guys. I put two in my Griff and used VW for a while. Then I switched to TC mode. Like you guys said on the Alien I would get a sudden burst then it tapered off. It was weird. The Battlestar worked better. I put it back to vw and took them out when the liquid was depleted.

I will get some proper SS wire and go from there. This is something I want to get into. I really need to ask you guys BEFORE I purchase.lol

Thanks again everyone.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Frank here's my format for TC:

Buy a spool 26 gauge (good common starting gauge) SS 316L. I get 100ft since later if you want to learn to make claptons you have extra ;)

Now you using regulated so don't worry bout Ohms Law. Wrap your wires enough loops to cover the airflow (if its bottom airflow). Or to safe 5/6 wraps is fine.

I highly suggest you spaced your coils for TC. It's more consistent for new vapers and you don't have to dry fire at all.

What is spaced you asked? After you wraps 5/6 wraps, you pull in the coils so there's spacing between the wraps. View attachment 79844
View attachment 79845

Spaced coils is one of the optimal way for TC.

That's pretty much it frank. Mess around with wraps. Whatever have some fun! But as long as you following guidelines i guarantee you will have an amazing TC Vape. Maybe set it at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then go higher or lower from their. But that's a good benchmark.
This is a great post. I'm going to take your advice.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Those 'coils' suck Frank. Buy (make) coils made from SS wire.
SS vaping on TC is delishimuss! But notch coils don't give the same flavor richness.

Not sayin don't vape em... just sayin you won't get a full SS TC experience as you will with a nice .25 ohm SS wire build.
jmo
^^^THIS^^^....they are garbage.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hello, I have ordered some stainless notch coils from vapenw. They are Wismec rated at .25 ohm. I wanted to dable in temperature control. I have an Alien 220 and a Battlestar 200. Both have the TC option.

Where do I start lol? I can insert these coils in an Avacado 24 or a Griffin 25 plus. Should I use one at a time? Or can I run them dual style? What temp should I be aiming for? Oh here is a pic-
theorem_notchcoil_by_wismec_0.25ohm-2.jpg

They come with a cotton strand pre installed. Should I take it out and fire the coil by itself a few times?

I'm just looking for tips. Thank you guys.
You can tell me if they are junk haha.
notch coils to me never give a good vape regardless. i mean you have them so try it. maybe you will like it but they either give no vapor or taste burnt. really no in between. you are much better off with regular round SS wire IMO (or with fancy SS wire like fused claptons)

as far as TC goes, don't bother with the alien. it's terrible for temp control. the battlestar does great TC though so try it with that

VU Sponsors