Become a Patron!

Help me fix my modified Grack recipe please... AND my juice suddenly tastes very nasty, almost like a real cig...

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have never 'loved' my recipe but have stuck to it for about 6 years now. I like sweet fruity flavors but can't stand the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners and I don't like menthol so I altered the original Grack recipe. My ratios have probably been skewed a bit over the years since I first translated it to grams and then scaled it up to make large batches, but I try to stick with it the best I can. I use an AWS LB-501 digital scale and am always within .1 gram of each flavor and within 1 gram of NIC/PG/VG when I make the recipe.

My version of Grack - Makes about 10oz

2 grams Raspberry - INW
3 grams Dragonfruit - TFA
15 grams Grape - INW
1.8 grams Meringue - FA
5 grams Cactus Concentrate - INW
5 grams Sweet Strawberry- CAP
40 grams Delosi Nic Salts - 100mg/ml 100% VG
180 grams VG - Essential Depot - Palm Derived
90 grams PG - Essential Depot

I saw the post from HeadInClouds about testing each flavor, testing VG/PG/NIC unflavored, etc, etc so I will have to do this when I get some time.

This has a 'good' flavor when first mixed but def loses flavor as it sits. I keep this in one big bottle then shake the crap out of it before filling a 30ml bottle to fill my tank.

I was hoping some of the more experienced DIY'ers could maybe make some suggestions.... Perhaps other brands of flavoring are better than what I'm using, perhaps I can add or remove something or change my ratios a bit to make this taste better????

Recently, upon exhaling this, it is tasting like a real cig... just NASTY. I am not sure if it's me or maybe one of the flavorings or what is going on. A new coil made no difference. I did have covid a few months back that messed up my taste and smell a bit but this just started recently when I got down to the last 1/3 of this current batch.

So, to clarify... I'm having 2 issues -

1 is that I'd like to alter this recipe to make it taste better/sweeter/more flavor without hitting that "cleaning chemical" taste and without tasting like I just ate a packet of artificial sweetener.

2 is that, for some odd reason, this suddenly tastes horrible - almost like a real cig being exhaled... so freaking nasty! This could totally just be me and what covid has done to my taste but thought I'd throw it out there in case others have had this issue.

I did recently switch over to nic salts but this is the 3rd or 4th batch I've done with salts and didn't have an issue until now. I keep my nic in the freezer, let it defrost and shake the hell out of it before mixing with it. Always shake my flavors too.

TIA

scootervapes

Member For 4 Years
I'd imagine the first thing you did was check your cotton and coils.

Beyond that, you may have vaper's tongue. When you vape the same flavor long enough, your vape loses taste or it starts tasting horrible. In my experience, it starts tasting horrible. Try some new flavors, especially something that is contrasting to your current flavor.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
First thing I would test is your base PG, VG, and nicotine. Scale everything down by a factor of ten so you're only dealing with one ounce and the math is easy.

Mix your PG and VG together and vape that. What do you taste? Essential Depot has always been one of the most used brands so I doubt they are the culprit, but you never know.

Then add your nic to the PG/VG. Since you're using VG based nic, you need to make sure that is mixed well before adding. What do you taste?

If everything is good then you can start dealing with flavors. The flavor brands you're using are all well known and used a lot by vapors, but everyone's tastes are different. Again add everything one at a time.

@scootervapes makes a good point about vaper's tounge as well.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Beyond that, you may have vaper's tongue. When you vape the same flavor long enough, your vape loses taste or it starts tasting horrible. In my experience, it starts tasting horrible. Try some new flavors, especially something that is contrasting to your current flavor.

I had this thought as well. Trying vaping some menthol/mint, or coffee, or cinnamon flavors to clear and reset your palate. Also be sure to stay well hydrated (with water, not coffee/tea/soft drinks). Going forward you may want to choose a second flavor to keep in regular rotation, and occasionally switch between the two flavors.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Definitely agree with the vapor’s tongue possibility. And agree with @nadalama about going to something completely different to shake things up and the suggestions are sound. Mint or cooling does it for me.

How long does it take you to get through 10oz? How old are your flavorings? Are they exposed to heat or light? All things that contribute to flavor integrity. It takes years(generally) for flavors to fade out, but it can happen sooner. Some fruits fade with time(in a mix). Maybe you have a faded flavoring and another flavoring is coming through stronger because of that. It’s all chemistry, really.

Covid really does screw with your taste. I got it in April(again) and my taste finally just got back to completely normal. Don’t count it out as the problem.

Also agree with @gopher_byrd about your vg/pg/nic. Check those, too. Usually when nic goes it gets peppery and harsh.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I dont use an RDA, just a Zeus Sub ohm tank with the specific .4ohm coils that it takes. Yeah, I replaced the coil to no avail.... tired a coil form a different pack too, in case it was a bad batch of coils. I wondered if it might be "vape tongue". This taste is almost like the taste you get when you are sick... just a nasty taste that I would say is similar to an actual cigarette. I've tried so many different flavors but don't really "like" any of them. Can't stand the artificial sweetener so premade form the store is out since they all have that crap in them. I guess I'll have to look for some new recipes and see if that changes anything. Thanks for your insight!!!

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I didnt see if u checked your cotton, but the horrendous aftertaste definitely sounds like burnt cotton.

As for coverup flavors...caramel, butterscotch, and/or vanilla will temper down most flavors as well as aftertastes i have found.

Tfa capucinno, espresso, coffee, will cover anything, whether not that is better or worse than what u already have is your decision, lol
yeah, not using an RDA... the Zeus Sub ohm tank uses specific coils. I tried using one from a new pack in case the open pack had mfg issues for some reason. Yeah, I'm very particular with the flavors. Havent found ANY that I would say I like, just ones I can tolerate more than others. I'm due to make a new batch of juice so I'll look up some new recipes and see if I can find something. I can usually get a month out of a coil before it starts tasting nasty. I dont use any sweeteners other than what might be in some of the flavors I use.... as listed in the OP. Thanks for your insight!

Last edited:

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had this thought as well. Trying vaping some menthol/mint, or coffee, or cinnamon flavors to clear and reset your palate. Also be sure to stay well hydrated (with water, not coffee/tea/soft drinks). Going forward you may want to choose a second flavor to keep in regular rotation, and occasionally switch between the two flavors.
hate mint, coffee and menthol.... Used to vape cinnamon pear form a local vape shop but switched over to my own version of Grack because the cinnamon was destroying my taste buds. I'll have to poke around for a new recipe to try. Thanks for your insight!

Last edited:

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Definitely agree with the vapor’s tongue possibility. And agree with @nadalama about going to something completely different to shake things up and the suggestions are sound. Mint or cooling does it for me.

How long does it take you to get through 10oz? How old are your flavorings? Are they exposed to heat or light? All things that contribute to flavor integrity. It takes years(generally) for flavors to fade out, but it can happen sooner. Some fruits fade with time(in a mix). Maybe you have a faded flavoring and another flavoring is coming through stronger because of that. It’s all chemistry, really.

Covid really does screw with your taste. I got it in April(again) and my taste finally just got back to completely normal. Don’t count it out as the problem.

Also agree with @gopher_byrd about your vg/pg/nic. Check those, too. Usually when nic goes it gets peppery and harsh.
It takes me about 2 months to go through 10oz, everything is kept out of light and at room temp.... except I keep the nic in the freezer. Only order flavors as they run out so no stock pile of old stuff. I do have a bunch of old flavors that I have never used though... got a bit carried away at the beginning...trying to find something i liked. I cant do menthol/koolaid and not much on coffee. I need to find another fruity flavor to mix up and see if that helps. Thanks for your insight!!

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First thing I would test is your base PG, VG, and nicotine. Scale everything down by a factor of ten so you're only dealing with one ounce and the math is easy.

Mix your PG and VG together and vape that. What do you taste? Essential Depot has always been one of the most used brands so I doubt they are the culprit, but you never know.

Then add your nic to the PG/VG. Since you're using VG based nic, you need to make sure that is mixed well before adding. What do you taste?

If everything is good then you can start dealing with flavors. The flavor brands you're using are all well known and used a lot by vapors, but everyone's tastes are different. Again add everything one at a time.

@scootervapes makes a good point about vaper's tounge as well.
this is what I saw in the post form HeadInClouds that I need to test. Everything is pretty fresh though as I only order things as I run out. Flavors are in a nail polish case and kept in the dark at room temp (75 degrees). VG/PG are kept in a box so out of the light and also at room temp. Nic is stored in the freezer and is only a few months old. I will have to find some time to test all this stuff the way you mentioned and go from there. Thanks for your insight!

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
yeah, not using an RDA... the Zeus Sub ohm tank uses specific coils. I tried using one from a new pack in case the open pack had mfg issues for some reason. Yeah, I'm very particular with the flavors. Havent found ANY that I would say I like, just ones I can tolerate more than others. I'm due to make a new batch of juice so I'll look up some new recipes and see if I can find something. I can usually get a month out of a coil before it starts tasting nasty. I dont use any sweeteners other than what might be in some of the flavors I use.... as listed in the OP. Thanks for your insight!
I wasnt gonna reply because it seems like u have your plan of attack, but just in case, i assume you have thought to also double check if there is a preheat or something on whatever mod u r using that might have changed, burning out your coils every time u change em since u said it was all of a sudden

Like i said, just making note of a variable i didnt see specifically mentioned...not that im stuck on u must be burning your cotton, lol

U dont have to dignify with a response if u dont want, i would completely understand :)

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It takes me about 2 months to go through 10oz, everything is kept out of light and at room temp.... except I keep the nic in the freezer. Only order flavors as they run out so no stock pile of old stuff. I do have a bunch of old flavors that I have never used though... got a bit carried away at the beginning...trying to find something i liked. I cant do menthol/koolaid and not much on coffee. I need to find another fruity flavor to mix up and see if that helps. Thanks for your insight!!
How about a new medication?

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wasnt gonna reply because it seems like u have your plan of attack, but just in case, i assume you have thought to also double check if there is a preheat or something on whatever mod u r using that might have changed, burning out your coils every time u change em since u said it was all of a sudden

Like i said, just making note of a variable i didnt see specifically mentioned...not that im stuck on u must be burning your cotton, lol

U dont have to dignify with a response if u dont want, i would completely understand :)
no preheat settings on this thing... very basic mod... Aegis Solo. I have the settings locked and the only thing I can change is watts... locked in at 22 watts. Thanks for your input!!

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How about a new medication?
while I have started a new med, this issue started well before I changed. The new med is taking the place of 2 others (at bedtime) and I am starting to notice as difference in taste during the day. I am wondering if it was excessive use of the older meds... trying to achieve the same results. One of them was completely eliminated and the other was cut way down so I'm thinking this may be the issue! Still going to try some new flavors and test my ingredients. I'm a bit bummed becasue I have about 60 flavorings that are 1-3 years old so I'm thinking I might need to ditch most of them and get new... so I can make new mixes. The only fresh flavors I have are what I use to make the grack. I had bought about 50 flavors right off the bat but never touched most of them. Now I'm afraid to use them because they are so old. I'm disabled and just replaced the transmission on my car so it will be a few months before I have any cash to spend on flavorings :( In the meantime, I'm looking at new recipes and making a list of flavors I'll need to buy to make them. Could very well be a combination of using the same juice for years and the meds.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks to everyone for your input. I have some ideas to work with now so I'll close this thread and come back in a few months once I'm able to reassess/make new recipes.

edit: cant figure out how to close this thread :(

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks to everyone for your input. I have some ideas to work with now so I'll close this thread and come back in a few months once I'm able to reassess/make new recipes.

edit: cant figure out how to close this thread :(
No need to close thread, only mods can do that anyway.
I take some pretty hard core medications for neurological problems. One of them started making me sick. Took me 3 months to find out which one. I very recently figured out that this was the medication that made all eliquid taste off, weird, nasty, even burnt as you describe. Muted my sense of taste and smell as well for other things, yes I know smoking contributed. Nothing else really tasted bad though.
I gave up vaping and smoked for 2 yrs because of this. Sometimes doctors and all their damn pills just need to GTFO....

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is actually a very interesting thread. Could be many things but you covered most of that already so I'm up for the challenge (to help you) I once had a similar thing happen (using 100 mg nic in 50/50 VG/PG) also kept in the freezer. Turns out nic kept in the freezer (especially in VG) unless you warm it up first (and shake it) can have "hot spots" (where the nic is not evenly mixed in) What I do (since then) is put some of the nic in a smaller container (after slightly warming up the entire nic container and shaking a bit) Use what I need that day, then also keep that smaller container in the freezer. The time I suspect I got a bit of "hot spot" nic (stronger than usual) my unflavored juice (I always mix some first before making recipes) was really harsh and bitter. The next time (using the same nic and making sure it was mixed up well) it seemed fine.
It doesn't actually matter if nic is in PG, VG or 50/50... but VG is thick and hard to pour (especially cold) If I have a choice, I always try to get nic in PG.
I do have some old flavors (over 3 years old) but my room can be very hot (like 90 deg F) most of the summer. Only a few of my oldest flavors have gone bad. Others here (with less hot storage place) say even 5 year old flavors seem OK. I doubt it's the flavors.
Double check your math... especially the nic. What mg/ml are you shooting for? What VG/PG ratio?
Honestly, it sounds like you have your game on (know what you are doing) so totally guessing and throwing anything I can think of out there.
What size container is the nic in? What coil are you using? Have you tried doing "primer puffs" (sucking air without firing the coil)? It can help make sure the coil is saturated. Every once in a while, you just get a bogus coil... it happens (but you said you tried a new coil) Did you get the coils from a different vendor than usual (like never get them from e-bay)
Like others mentioned... could just be you (hopefully temporary)... I even had a bad cold (but not covid) that messed up my sense of taste/smell for a couple weeks.
I will really go out of my way to help someone who provides lot's of info (which you have) Forgive me if I just go in all directions but it has helped before (where nobody could find the issue)

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
On a sidenote (and I have that same scale... love it!)
I pre-make my unflavored base. Use scale for the nic, then use scale for the PG. Then (with the container marked at the final amount) I just top off with VG. I shake this several times during the day, let it sit overnight, shake a few more times then it's good to go. Most flavors are in PG (and PG itself is very close to water... the reference used between ml/cc/grams) Vg is heavier so that's why I do the final addition of VG by volume. I'm not into accuracy... as long as the final juice is around 60-70 % VG. Too much PG can slightly bother my throat but not a big deal (and not a taste issue)
You might want to make a very small batch of unflavored "base" and try that. It would rule out other possible issues.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is actually a very interesting thread. Could be many things but you covered most of that already so I'm up for the challenge (to help you) I once had a similar thing happen (using 100 mg nic in 50/50 VG/PG) also kept in the freezer. Turns out nic kept in the freezer (especially in VG) unless you warm it up first (and shake it) can have "hot spots" (where the nic is not evenly mixed in) What I do (since then) is put some of the nic in a smaller container (after slightly warming up the entire nic container and shaking a bit) Use what I need that day, then also keep that smaller container in the freezer. The time I suspect I got a bit of "hot spot" nic (stronger than usual) my unflavored juice (I always mix some first before making recipes) was really harsh and bitter. The next time (using the same nic and making sure it was mixed up well) it seemed fine.
It doesn't actually matter if nic is in PG, VG or 50/50... but VG is thick and hard to pour (especially cold) If I have a choice, I always try to get nic in PG.
I do have some old flavors (over 3 years old) but my room can be very hot (like 90 deg F) most of the summer. Only a few of my oldest flavors have gone bad. Others here (with less hot storage place) say even 5 year old flavors seem OK. I doubt it's the flavors.
Double check your math... especially the nic. What mg/ml are you shooting for? What VG/PG ratio?
Honestly, it sounds like you have your game on (know what you are doing) so totally guessing and throwing anything I can think of out there.
What size container is the nic in? What coil are you using? Have you tried doing "primer puffs" (sucking air without firing the coil)? It can help make sure the coil is saturated. Every once in a while, you just get a bogus coil... it happens (but you said you tried a new coil) Did you get the coils from a different vendor than usual (like never get them from e-bay)
Like others mentioned... could just be you (hopefully temporary)... I even had a bad cold (but not covid) that messed up my sense of taste/smell for a couple weeks.
I will really go out of my way to help someone who provides lot's of info (which you have) Forgive me if I just go in all directions but it has helped before (where nobody could find the issue)
My nic is from Delosi Labs. It's a 16oz bottle of salt nic. I let it sit out for an hour and shake the hell out of it before using it. This is only the third batch of juice I've made from that bottle so it's pretty fresh/new. It's 100mg/ml and in 100%VG. Since you are saying the flavors will last a while, I'll try using some of them. They are stored at about 73-76 degrees in a nail polish case (holds about 60 - 30ml bottles) and I keep that in a cardboard box so there is no light getting to them. I make everything 70-80% VG so that's why I went with 100% VG nic. Not sure what my nic % is at this point. I've cut back on it a bit from when I started this. Used an ejuice calculator when i developed the recipe and scaled it up accordingly with a calculator to make my 10oz batches. I use a precision scale and measure by grams so it has to be pretty accurate/not much different than other batches. I am careful to wait and tare out the scale after each ingredient... even shut off ceiling fans so they don't skew my measurements. I do always draw the juice into a new coil before firing it. I get most supplies from Geekvape, Delosi and Bull City Flavors. Essential Depot VG and PG come from Amazon but I buy in quarts so that they are relatively fresh. Also kept in a cardboard box to avoid light. I mix into a 10oz bottle and shake the hell out of it before filling a 1oz bottle to use from. I am certain that everything is well mixed/no hot spots... unless there was a clump of nic salts in there or something like that. I think I would notice a heavy nic buzz if that was the case though. I vape at least 5ml a day, sometimes more so it could very well be vape tongue or the remnants of covid... or meds...lol I keep my mod locked on 22 watts becasue on a few occasions in the past I have accidentally cranked it to 100 watts in my pocket then burnt the hell out of the coil (and my throat) in one hit. From what everyone is saying, it seems I'm doing all the right things. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Also, this taste only started about half way through this last 10oz mix and I do shake the hell out of it each time before filling the 1oz bottle that I fill the tank from. I will do some small batches to test the vg/pg... vg/pg/nic... one flavor at a time, etc, etc. It could also be that I've just been using the same recipe for about 3 years now. I made an account on 99 juices and have saved a few recipes. Entered all of my flavors in there but not much coming out for recipes so I need to order a few more flavors. Going to try using a very small amount of sweetener too. As much as I hate it, perhaps a very small amount will help and not give the nasty aftertaste. I was a chef most of my career and am a "super taster" so this is really disturbing to me! After having covid, I can no longer eat...or even smell... pork products. They just smell like piss to me now... very nasty. Look up Pork Taint and you'll see what I'm talking about. Somehow I am able to detect it 100 times more than before. I am now sensitive to salt too... everything tastes extra salty to me now. Before mixing my own, I used to buy cinnamon Pear from a local vape shop who made their own. It turned dark after about a month and I had a deal with them that I wouldn't buy it if it was dark so I always got freshly made juice. They went out of business a few years back so I started making my own. Got tired of the cinnamon burn and went with Grack juice. I do really need to try some new recipes. It's just a matter of sitting down and doing it.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No need to close thread, only mods can do that anyway.
I take some pretty hard core medications for neurological problems. One of them started making me sick. Took me 3 months to find out which one. I very recently figured out that this was the medication that made all eliquid taste off, weird, nasty, even burnt as you describe. Muted my sense of taste and smell as well for other things, yes I know smoking contributed. Nothing else really tasted bad though.
I gave up vaping and smoked for 2 yrs because of this. Sometimes doctors and all their damn pills just need to GTFO....
I can relate.... I've had my share of surgeries/dr's/meds. Born with a club foot - dr said I've never walk. Heel cords lengethened at 3 days old, club foot surgeries from age 3-6. 2 spine surgeries - 4 discs removed/fused. DOZENS of meds for anxiety/depression/PTSD/insomnia/OCD... all made things worse not better. Carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Spinal cord stimulator. Disabled for last 14 years and have to take morphine just to be able to get out of bed/get around the house. I'll spare the rest of the details but you get the idea, lol

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just thought of something... I stopped using/vaping weed about 1.5 months ago... I can't imagine that would do it but it does correlate to when this nasty taste arrived.. .hmmmmm All this talk about vaping. meds, dr's, anxiety... lol Might have to crack open this mason jar tonight and see if that "helps" lol I wonder if it's my lungs clearing up from the excessive vaping over the years. I havent 'combusted" anything in about 5-6 years. F combustion! Tried to smoke a dube with a friend a cpl years ago, pre covid, and it tasted like an ashtray to me. I cant believe I smoked cigs and smelled like that for 25 years!!! I can detect a smoker on the other end of Walmart these days!

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can relate.... I've had my share of surgeries/dr's/meds. Born with a club foot - dr said I've never walk. Heel cords lengethened at 3 days old, club foot surgeries from age 3-6. 2 spine surgeries - 4 discs removed/fused. DOZENS of meds for anxiety/depression/PTSD/insomnia/OCD... all made things worse not better. Carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. Spinal cord stimulator. Disabled for last 14 years and have to take morphine just to be able to get out of bed/get around the house. I'll spare the rest of the details but you get the idea, lol
Ugh, can't like that post...one thing I've learned being in and out of hospitals and countless doctors offices over the last few years; Sadly there is always someone worse off.
Take away health or family and suddenly nothing else matters, nothing.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
while I have started a new med, this issue started well before I changed. The new med is taking the place of 2 others (at bedtime) and I am starting to notice as difference in taste during the day. I am wondering if it was excessive use of the older meds... trying to achieve the same results. One of them was completely eliminated and the other was cut way down so I'm thinking this may be the issue! Still going to try some new flavors and test my ingredients. I'm a bit bummed becasue I have about 60 flavorings that are 1-3 years old so I'm thinking I might need to ditch most of them and get new... so I can make new mixes. The only fresh flavors I have are what I use to make the grack. I had bought about 50 flavors right off the bat but never touched most of them. Now I'm afraid to use them because they are so old. I'm disabled and just replaced the transmission on my car so it will be a few months before I have any cash to spend on flavorings :( In the meantime, I'm looking at new recipes and making a list of flavors I'll need to buy to make them. Could very well be a combination of using the same juice for years and the meds.
1-3 years really isn’t too bad. I have quite a few that old and they’re just fine. Don’t ditch them yet!

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1-3 years really isn’t too bad. I have quite a few that old and they’re just fine. Don’t ditch them yet!
Thanks for that! Most still look fine and about 20 of them are still sealed. A couple of them have darkened a good bit.. i think... hard to remember what they looked like fresh, lol

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It really does sound like you are doing everything right. I would suggest putting some nic in a smaller container so you don't have to mess with the larger one so much (still keep the smaller one in the freezer too... but let it warm for mixing)
I like that you mentioned turning off the ceiling fan (yes, that scale is so sensitive!)
I really have to wonder if this is just and issue with your tastes and not the juice.
I buy that same brand of VG and PG (from Amazon... yes it costs more but prime free shipping helps) It is very good quality!
Please consider getting nic in PG next time (so much easier to work with and pour) And maybe get "freebase" instead of "salt" (not a big deal but if you are cutting down your nic level why buy salt version)?
You didn't say but give me a "ballpark" idea of your juices nic level (how could you not know... you used a calculator right)?

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It really does sound like you are doing everything right. I would suggest putting some nic in a smaller container so you don't have to mess with the larger one so much (still keep the smaller one in the freezer too... but let it warm for mixing)
I like that you mentioned turning off the ceiling fan (yes, that scale is so sensitive!)
I really have to wonder if this is just and issue with your tastes and not the juice.
I buy that same brand of VG and PG (from Amazon... yes it costs more but prime free shipping helps) It is very good quality!
Please consider getting nic in PG next time (so much easier to work with and pour) And maybe get "freebase" instead of "salt" (not a big deal but if you are cutting down your nic level why buy salt version)?
You didn't say but give me a "ballpark" idea of your juices nic level (how could you not know... you used a calculator right)?
Nic level is 10mg... I used freebase for years and then read that nic salt allows for more nic with less throat hit so I ordered a bottle of each from Delosi. Was like $80 total with shipping for the 2 bottles. I made a small batch with each and liked the nic salt better so I've been using that. Def not going to just toss the freebase so I will be using it eventually. WHen I was getting that cinnamon pear a few years back I ordered 24mg nic because that's where I started when I switched form cigs but have managed to tone it back over the years. The idea was to increase it using nic salt but I just stayed at 10mg. I got VG nic because I make my juices 70-80% VG so if the nic is PG, then I end up adding very little PG to the mix... Just trying to balance things out a bit. Just ordered 10 more flavors... up to 63 flavorings now, lol Have about a week left on this current juice so new stuff will be here by the time that runs out. Pulled about 20 recipes off various sights so i will mix up 5 or 6 10ml bottles of the various recipies and test them out until I find one or two I like. Sooo many of the popular juices have some sort of cream in them... vanilla, bavarian, custard, whipped, etc, etc... so I got a few of those. I prefer fruity mixes but will be making several with cream in them to try. I got some erythritol a while back and forgot to even try it. I cant stand sucrose/splenda/stevia so I'll give this stuff a try. Someone talked me into trying NuNaturals Clear Extract NuStevia...claiming it doesnt have th aftertaste but it tastes just like regular stevia to me.

BrokenChef

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@BrokenChef were you by chance getting your cinnamon pear from Madvapes? Their cinnamon pear was my ADV for years.
It was from a local shop here in SC.. ecigcharleston d com. They are still open and still have that flavor but I haven't used it in about 4 years so it could be a different recipe/diff ingredients than they used in the past. $14.99 for 30ml.

Last edited:

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
BTW, I also like fruit flavors and quickly realized I like them with something creamy (WF bavarian cream has been my go to for awhile) Even though I like custards, most are too rich. I also like bakery recipes with fruits (but that is a different topic) I like cinnamon, but have found many flavors have too much (or the "red hots" kind I don't like... prefer FA cinnamon ceylon) Recently, I have even less tolerance for any cinn (not sure why... love it in real life)
Anyway, since you are just mixing 10 mg/ml I don't think nic is an issue (be it freebase or salt)
Just to be clear... there is nothing wrong with nic in VG (it's just thicker)

VU Sponsors