Become a Patron!

Help me understand!! coil,high wattages

LSX_mechanic

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok so I have a ipv3 on the way to me. Is the higher wattages of these newer devices not intended to utilize larger gauge wire and coils? (keep in mind im still new at this) In my head with the ability of the power you would want a larger coil for more surface area,sub ohm or not and turn the power up. is this not correct? What i use now is a mec mod,with a dark horse rda. My builds are usually a 24g @ .22-.26 in a dual coil set up. I'm not a cloud chaser but I do like big clouds and flavor. Just trying to wrap my head around all this. thanks!!

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
With higher wattage values, you can create a thicker gauge, low resistance build... and still produce a substantial heat flux (radiant heat measured in milliwatts per square millimeter) value... if you desire.

For example, with 20 watts, you can produce 296 mW/mm² , with 28 gauge wire, at 0.3Ω. To produce a similar heat flux with 24 gauge wire at the same resistance... you need around 80 watts.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The reason for the higher wattage mods is to run lower ohm builds. On a 30 watt device you have to build a 1.0 or higher to get the full voltage of the device. On a mech with fresh battery 4.2 V at .22 build you are getting 80 watts.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
OK,

Both SOF (gotta dig the hair and moustache by the way and Oggy are quite correct.

Me, I like the Kiss Principle.

I prefer regulated mods to protect me from myself.

Using my Sigelei 100 watt with an Orchid V4 with dual coils, 7/8 wrap (27 gauge Kanthal) around an #8 nail (scientific ain't it) I end up at 0.5 ohms.

Optimum temp depending on the liquid is 26 watts.

Coils are just the right size for that topper and offer lots of surface area.

Whatever works for you is the key.

VU Sponsors