Become a Patron!

Help with a Smok Stick V8 Baby

Hi, noob here. Sorry if the questions I'm about to ask have already been answered in other threads, but I scanned the forums for over an hour and didn't find anything that solved my specific problem, so I made an account.

I recently got into vaping and I purchased a Smok Stick V8 Baby which has been working fine for a little over a month until just yesterday when the button light started doing the 4 blinks telling me that something is wrong with the tank, or coil, or whatever. But I had just installed a new coil (a Smok coil that came with the kit itself) and had even used it for a good 20-30 drags (in about an hour) before the problem started.

After taking all the pieces apart and inspecting for tell-tale signs of failure on the mod's part, or idiocy on my part, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It just flat-out wasn't firing anymore. Then, after a little more playing around with it, I discovered that it would actually fire when the tank was only screwed on about halfway! If I screwed the tank all the way in, the light would blink and the mod wouldn't fire. Unscrew it again just a bit so that it's kinda wobbly but not falling all the way out, and it fires just fine!

Also, it seemed to be slightly hotter than usual after a few test fires at the halfway connected mode, but nothing overly concerning. I'm guessing the higher temp was just from heat being able to escape easier due to the tank not being screwed all the way in?

Seems as if the connection is fine but what would cause this particular issue? Does anyone know? I haven't used it since, and I won't until I know what's going on. Don't want to risk melting my face. But, I'd really like to vape and I don't have money to blow on a new mod right now, especially since I just bought this one and I really like it.

Any ideas?

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Probably a short in your coil, wire touching something it ought not, I recommend replacing the coil promptly

Probably a short in your coil, wire touching something it ought not, I recommend replacing the coil promptly

I was thinking I should try another coil (and I will eventually; have to hit up a vape shop to buy some), but I'm also thinking that if there was a problem with the coil, why was it working just fine at first? And why does it still fire when I loosen the tank about halfway?

Did you check your 510? That's what it sounds like to me

What do I check for? I stuck a Q-tip down there to wipe away any potential residue, but that didn't help.

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
Just try and see if its wobbly. and yeah clean them often. Is the 510 pin on your tank tightened up? (if its adjustable)

Just try and see if its wobbly. and yeah clean them often. Is the 510 pin on your tank tightened up? (if its adjustable)

Do you mean the spring-loaded part in the stick/battery? It's not wobbling at all. I can push it down with the Q-tip, too. So it's not stuck either. The threading on the bottom of tank isn't wobbly or adjustable either. I guess I'll try another coil as soon as I can, and go from there.

Thanks for your help, guys. :)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was thinking I should try another coil (and I will eventually; have to hit up a vape shop to buy some), but I'm also thinking that if there was a problem with the coil, why was it working just fine at first? And why does it still fire when I loosen the tank about halfway?

What do I check for? I stuck a Q-tip down there to wipe away any potential residue, but that didn't help.

Heat makes metal expand, it could have made the coil expand just enough to cause a short - the wire was too close to making a short to begin with, and a little heat pushed it far enough to make a short

Sounds like the wire (coil) was too close to the top or bottom of the coil housing (tube part), so pushing it down all the way causes the problem contact/short to happen

Heat makes metal expand, it could have made the coil expand just enough to cause a short - the wire was too close to making a short to begin with, and a little heat pushed it far enough to make a short

Hmm... that just might be it. Thanks! Yes, I will try a new coil ASAP. I guess I'll report back after that. Off to work now, with no vape today... :(

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hmm... that just might be it. Thanks! Yes, I will try a new coil ASAP. I guess I'll report back after that. Off to work now, with no vape today... :(

OHHH NOOOOO
Better get a spare something when you go to that vape shop!

Well, I put in a new coil and the same thing is happening. Now it won't fire at all, even half-way on. The mod must be faulty because the last coil worked fine before the light started blinking, now this coil s doing the same thing. Unless anyone knows what else it could be, looks like I got a lemon that only lasted a little over a month, and I'll have to fork out more cash to buy a new mod.

I should have listened to the veteran vapers when they suggested to stay away from Smok... :sad:

What are the most reliable brands out there?

VU Sponsors