Become a Patron!

Help with first rta..

Mstephens666

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have just purchased a geekvape ammit tank, and decided to go with kanthal geekvape pre built alien coils. Put one in ammit, checked for hotspots and dry burned(using internet as a guide), washed coil, put back in and adjusted it, wicked it and soaked in juice. My problem is, there is a strong chemical smell/taste, my favourite juice taste awful! Have tried the other pre built coil in pack, with the, same result. Any ideas what I did wrong?

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have just purchased a geekvape ammit tank, and decided to go with kanthal geekvape pre built alien coils. Put one in ammit, checked for hotspots and dry burned(using internet as a guide), washed coil, put back in and adjusted it, wicked it and soaked in juice. My problem is, there is a strong chemical smell/taste, my favourite juice taste awful! Have tried the other pre built coil in pack, with the, same result. Any ideas what I did wrong?
What were you using before?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
...no I didnt, would that cause the metallic taste/smell? Do I just wash, all pieces of the ammit tank before building?
Yup... you might be tasting machine oil.

Also, check to see that no o-rings or insulators are misplaced or displaced. Getting an o-ring or insulator too close to a coil can lead to some plasric/rubber taste and smell...

Mstephens666

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yup... you might be tasting machine oil.

Also, check to see that no o-rings or insulators are misplaced or displaced. Getting an o-ring or insulator too close to a coil can lead to some plasric/rubber taste and smell...

That explains the horrible taste haha :/ ill have a crack at it again tomorrow

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Could be your cotton, too. Some of it needs to be broken in, and can give your vape a really weird taste for the first ml or so. Once I switched to Cotton Bacon, I've never looked back. Absolutely no break in needed.

Mstephens666

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could be your cotton, too. Some of it needs to be broken in, and can give your vape a really weird taste for the first ml or so. Once I switched to Cotton Bacon, I've never looked back. Absolutely no break in needed.
Some of the taste may have been that, found someone near me with knowledge on coils, I washed tank components, put a new coil in and new cotton, still had a funny taste but not metallic, after 15 mins, taste was gone

LanceGibbler

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sounds like we're quit date brothers! Congrats... brother lol

Agggghhhhh just did the maths and I'm only 4 weeks in. Brothers no longer... to add some insight into your situation though, I bought a smok cloud beast and never washed it and haven't noticed any awful tastes yet. I will warn you that when you go to the rebuildable instead of pre-builts it kind of sucks until you have someone with a lot of knowledge make you an alien Clapton coils for it and not use too much cotton! There is a very delicate balance on these tanks when getting them wicked and primed and thwyre kind od a pain in the ass and that's why I just ordered a Double Vision cause my friend said tanks are really designed for women and homosexuals. He also said that the "drippers" are like driving a manual transmission car and I love driving sticks so I thought I'd give it a try!

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Put one in ammit, checked for hotspots and dry burned(using internet as a guide), washed coil, put back in and adjusted it

Think you misunderstood the process.
You checked for hotspots, pulled it out, put in back in and adjusted it?

You're supposed to check for hotspots and then wick it, if you pull it out then back in and readjust you'd have to check for hot spots again.
And I think you misunderstood the meaning of dry burn too.

You take a new coil and wash it (if you want), install, adjust it and check for hotspots, then wick and use it.
Once it becomes gunky you pull out the wick, dry burn and rewick again.

Once installed the coil remains in the atty through dry burns and rewicks, until it time to throw it way.

Last edited:

Mstephens666

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Think you misunderstood the process.
You checked for hotspots, pulled it out, put in back in and adjusted it?

You're supposed to check for hotspots and then wick it, if you pull it out then back in and readjust you'd have to check for hot spots again.
And I think you misunderstood the meaning of dry burn too.

You take a new coil and wash it (if you want), install, adjust it and check for hotspots, then wick and use it.
Once it becomes gunky you pull out the wick, dry burn and rewick again.

Once installed the coil remains in the atty through dry burns and rewicks, until it time to throw it way.
Yeah, I did misunderstand it a bit, luckily I found someone local able to guide me through the process and now im using a parallel coil I made myself, no bad taste or smell. So must have just been the tank that needed a clean before use

VU Sponsors