Become a Patron!

Help With Orchid RDA Leaking

SmokinLiberty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just bought the Tobeco Orchid RDA. I am having a problem with it leaking really bad. My first build I used 28ga kenthal wire 8 wraps dual coils its at .8 ohms. The build is good I think its when I go to fill it up. It leaks really bad out of the 2 air holes. Any one else have this problem. I was told to run wick down the 4 channels inside the chimney but then I don't get any air. Any one with any ideas...? Thanks...

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
V1? Or V2+?
V1 add the spare oring on the chimney so you have two to seal it up better.

I had the same problem until I ran a small amount of wick in the channels. Not very much, maybe 1 mm into the channel

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SmokinLiberty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
V1? Or V2+?
V1 add the spare oring on the chimney so you have two to seal it up better.
It's the one with the o ring on the top of the chimney [not the v1]

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So it's a bottom fill.
The top cap has the oring inside of it or no oring inside? Sounds like no oring inside the top cap.
Seems like there are a number of ways v2 and up have been made. My v1 that didn't have an oring in the top cap had to have two orings on the chimney to seal it up.
My v2 has the oring in the top cap and its so tight that the chimney is tough to get in (vox vape). Seals up perfectly without anything in the channels.

I guess you could plug the channels worse case but to me it choked off the flow to much to run down into the 0.5 resistance area.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
run some wick down your channels, you kinda have to do that. and top filling is just a pain in the ass bc it leaks out half the juice. check to see if your bottom fill hole is covered by the chimney and if it is (like the v3) then use a syringe to fill, thats what i do and never have a problem

SmokinLiberty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok so I did the wicks down the channels. .. I had some initial leak but then it was cool. So I'm using everyone's ideas here. ... it's cool now but it's like other person said about the burnt hits. So I'm going to try and loosen the chimney a tad and see what happens there. Thanks All...

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once you got it leak proof, try running it without wick in the channels (just sitting on top of the channels).
If it leaks, go back to wick in the channels... but no harm in trying different things.

Ahow216

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just picked up the Orchid V2 and had the same problem, wasn't putting enough wick into the juice channels. Fixed the problem thanks to this thread!

Krom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The Orchid v3 was my first RTA, and I love it, but ended with similar issues. When you fill, try not to overflow, as it can push past the wick in the juice channels. When you wick, like has been said, put a tiny bit into the channel before you put the internal cap down. You want to make sure that the channel will have room to breathe too, so don't push too much, and don't wad the rest of your wick on top of it, leave it semi loose on top. I get consistently good hits, and never run outta juice until the local shop is outta stock.

Krom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, and running a bit lower, like a 7/6 24g @ .35-.45ohm dual coil build may help as well. Seems the longer cooldown helps wick more for the next hit.

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've had my v3 a while now. First build tried the wick in channels, sucked. Every build after, wicks end on top channels, half on top of coils. It leaks just a small amount unless you flip it and blow through it with paper towel near air holes to catch juice, just like a kayfun. My issue is now capacity! I go through way too much juice in this thing!

SmokinLiberty

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have been testing a method. As of today I guess it passes so far. I rebuilt my orchid and ran silica wick in it this time just to see what happens. I ran pretty thick wick threw and down the 4 channels, I was sure to keep them lon enough. I put it all back together and when I had everything back together except for the last chimney top, then I unscrewed the chimney just half a turn to let more room for juice to get into the chamber. Then I screwed the top on and so far were good. I filled it half way with some terrible harsh juice I had laying around just in case it did leak. (First time playing with this and I lost half a bottle of really good expensive juice). It's looking good

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't put any wick (cotton) in the channels. when I bottom fill my V4 (which is always) I crack the bottom base plate open a bit to let the air escape when I fill. I fill slowly (slower than I fill my V3) and no juice over flows into the juice channels and into the chamber. when I'm done i tighten up the base and put the screw back in. no leaks at least for me anyway.

I just bought the Tobeco Orchid RDA. I am having a problem with it leaking really bad. My first build I used 28ga kenthal wire 8 wraps dual coils its at .8 ohms. The build is good I think its when I go to fill it up. It leaks really bad out of the 2 air holes. Any one else have this problem. I was told to run wick down the 4 channels inside the chimney but then I don't get any air. Any one with any ideas...? Thanks...
Found a solution... have the orchid V2 and just bought the V4 ... V2 doesn't leak but terrible with dry hits ... juice just wasnt getting into channel... V2 worked great but leaked 75% of every fill ... tried everything ... double O ring ... more cotton ... wicking channels various ways ... Then I talked to a guy who told me the tank is like a vacumn and to only fill from the top cap ... not the screw ... thread it one turn just to seal it then turn the unit over ... top down and finish screwing the top down ... DIDN'T WORK!!! ... Still leaked ... I was ready to throw it away ... then on one fill I noticed how long it took the air pocked to roll up ... so I filled my tank screwed the top holding mod upside down ... took off the tip and set the mod upside down on my desk for 5 minutes letting the air bubble fully float up and the juice fill the inner chimmey tank thingy ... walla ... amazing ... not a drop leaks out ... I was going thru 2 30mm bottles a week with all the waste before ... on my third fill this way and no more leaking ... 3-5 minutes upside down to let the air pocket fully float up and inner tank fill ... thats the secret!!!

Eric DeCastro

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i usually just squirt a little in, wait, squirt a little more in and continue until filled. then put the fill screw back in and it shouldn't leak.

VU Sponsors