Become a Patron!

Help with some basics

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright guys I am the the most absolute form of a noob to all this, but I hope to change that. So this past week I decided to try vaping again (first two times I quit due to bad equipment, not enjoyable) and ended up going with the rx mini because I wanted something more pocket size and a good quality product. I absolutely love the mini def a diff experience this time around with vaping, only down side to it is the battery life.

When I bought the kit the guys at the shop wasn't very helpful so I didn't learn anything really. Didn't know I was buying a subohm, what type of coils I can use, if I can swap tanks and coils with the mod, they just wanted to hurry up and get a sale and sit back down. I asked loss of questions but got very vague answers.

1) can I use different coils and different ohm coils other than what came with my kit? It's the reux tank. How will I know which ones will work?

2) can I buy any mod (other shop close to me sells smok) and put my reux tank with the .20 subohm coils on it and be safe or even possible?

3) will each mod only work with certain ohm coils? Trying not to destroy a mod here lol

I'm wanting to get another mod for now and stick my reux tank off my mini on it when at home for more batt life and use it on the mini when at work. Thanks for any input.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
1) can I use different coils and different ohm coils other than what came with my kit? It's the reux tank. How will I know which ones will work?
2) can I buy any mod (other shop close to me sells smok) and put my reux tank with the .20 subohm coils on it and be safe or even possible?
3) will each mod only work with certain ohm coils? Trying not to destroy a mod here lol

I'm not familiar with that tank at all, or the coils it uses, but this is where you need to look online to see what coils are available for it :) It will also likely save you a lot of money if you buy online

As far as another mod, you should be able to use the tank on other mods, no problem. With prebuilt coils, you should be able to fire it safely on any regulated mod and not "destroy" it or the tank :)

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
1.)..Yes..whatever coils are available for your tank should work with the mod..Just keep in mind the lower the ohm the more power will be needed and the more juice consumed...Also running a mod at near its max capability will give fairly short battery life before needing a recharge or a replacement battery.

2.) Yes, most any mod with a self adjusting 510 will work with most any tank.

3.)A mods capabilities is determined by its power ..if you buy a 20 watt mod chances are it wont fire a .20 ohm subohm tank...They all have an ohm limit based on power or the design of the chip itself.

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok so the atomizers aren't just general design that will fit in all tanks? They're made specifically per tank?

How will I know what ohm atomizer my mod will work with? Say I get a different tank and it's a much higher ohm would my mod work with that? The rx mini is 80 watt mod.

Say I buy another mod to use with my tank for now and decide to get another tank to have two full set ups latter down the line will it matter what tank I get, or can I just get a tank I like based off size and design? Will different tanks have very diff flavor and hit?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ok so the atomizers aren't just general design that will fit in all tanks?

Atomizer is a generic term for the part that actually vaporizes the juice that you inhale with, whether it is a tank or dripper or RBA or uses pre-made coils

Any atomizer should generally work on any mod - though a few cheaper mods do not have what is called a "self-adjusting 510" thread

The 510 is where you screw the atomizer into the mod :)

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Ok so the atomizers aren't just general design that will fit in all tanks? They're made specifically per tank?

How will I know what ohm atomizer my mod will work with? Say I get a different tank and it's a much higher ohm would my mod work with that? The rx mini is 80 watt mod.
Most stock coils for tanks tell you on the coil or packaging what the recommended wattage is. Also you can look at websites info that sell them.

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Atomizer is a generic term for the part that actually vaporizes the juice that you inhale with, whether it is a tank or dripper or RBA or uses pre-made coils

Any atomizer should generally work on any mod - though a few cheaper mods do not have what is called a "self-adjusting 510" thread

The 510 is where you screw the atomizer into the mod :)

ok I'm a little confused, I was thinking the atomizer is the pre made coil/cotton part that you change in the tank. The mini is a regulated mod with 510. so I'm assuming it will not fire if i have a cool in it that isn't correct. So I'm assuming if I bought another larger regulated mod it would also not fire if my .20 subohm coils in my reux tank weren't compatible with the mod.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I was thinking the atomizer is the pre-made coil/cotton part that you change in the tank.

That is the coil

Your atomizer (tank) fires the coil

The mini is a regulated mod with 510 so I'm assuming it will not fire if what I have in it isn't correct.

That is true, but - almost any atomizer will work because most will be correct

So I'm assuming if I bought another larger regulated mod it would also not fire if my .20 subohm coils in my reux tank weren't compatible with the mod

It should be compatible with any regulated mod - mods do not only recognize proprietary atomizers

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is so many diff ohms and wattage it's slightly hard to understand what works with what and why you want certain ohm or wattage, seems to me most the people at my local shops aren't very helpful with taking the time to explain it all.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
There is so many diff ohms and wattage it's slightly hard to understand what works with what and why you want certain ohm or wattage, seems to me most the people at my local shops aren't very helpful with taking the time to explain it all.

That is a common complaint, unfortunately

Sad really, because they pretty much force folks like you to go online - and start buying online instead of at their store

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That you. The main thing I was worried about was ohm coils I could use with what mod. I read something the other day and it made it sound like subohm was dangerous.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That you. The main thing I was worried about was ohm coils I could use with what mod. I read something the other day and it made it sound like subohm was dangerous.

That mainly applies to people using mechanical mods (not regulated mods like you are using) and building their own coils (not the pre-made coils like you are using)

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah that's what I was thinking. It seems as though the regulated mods are pretty fool proof saftey wise. I guess now I will do some research into my next mod. I really like the rx mini, so I'm leaning towards the 200, it seems to be the same set up but more power. But my local shop has a lot of smok products and from what I've ready they seems to be quality products so I may go that way. Thank you for the info and help, I'm excited getting started, hope to start doing rebuildable coils eventually once I get more knowledgeable in everything vape related.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Stock coils are ones you buy for the tank that have been premade by the same MFG, and most of the times it will tell you on the coil, or packaging with type of wire it is made from, and the ohms but it will also tell you the what wattage to use that the MFG recommends. For you I would stay with Kanthal coils for now, other types of wire like Nickel you need to use a Temperature control mod in that setting.

RTA is a coil you make yourself that takes the place of a stock coil which you can build to your own ohms. But not all tanks have a RTA kit for them.

SMOKIE

THE MODFATHER
Staff member
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Live Leadership
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Sub ohm is considered any ohm below 1.0 but they are talking about vapers who build there own coils for using drippers that go so low it may become dangerous when using a mechanical mod which is one that has no chip for safety features or is regulated.

Sirvapes_alot

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Stock coils are ones you buy for the tank that have been premade by the same MFG, and most of the times it will tell you on the coil, or packaging with type of wire it is made from, and the ohms but it will also tell you the what wattage to use that the MFG recommends. For you I would stay with Kanthal coils for now, other types of wire like Nickel you need to use a Temperature control mod in that setting.

RTA is a coil you make yourself that takes the place of a stock coil which you can build to your own ohms. But not all tanks have a RTA kit for them.

Yeah the mini has tc modes but from what I've read these coils are kanthal, so I've kept it in vw mode. I read through everything that came with mine and couldn't find any info on what wattage it had to run on but the guy at my local shop said to keep it between 40-80. My main thing was I didn't know if I had to keep buying stock wismec .20 coils or if I could go out and buy a wide variety of different coils that would work with it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah the mini has tc modes but from what I've read these coils are kanthal, so I've kept it in vw mode. I read through everything that came with mine and couldn't find any info on what wattage it had to run on but the guy at my local shop said to keep it between 40-80. My main thing was I didn't know if I had to keep buying stock wismec .20 coils or if I could go out and buy a wide variety of different coils that would work with it.

That is where Google comes in - you can find out what coils that tank will take and choices you have as far as ohms, etc.

VU Sponsors